SuperCometFragmentImpactExtraLargeExplosion!

jja

Aug 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/29/97

A while back I read the above portmanteu word (see subject) and was
enchanted. The intrepid filker who originated the phrase was apparently
working on the full song, but I heard no more about it. My mind
wouldn't leave it alone, and I wrote the following verse and chorus:

Back in July of '94, astronomers took hope
To see a stream of broken comet in their telescopes.
They gathered data bit by bit to plot trajectory --
They saw it met with Jupiter, and knew that there would be... A...

SuperCometFragmentImpactExtraLargeExplosion!
Stirring all astronomers with passion and commotion!
Making mighty ripples in the gassy giant's oceans!
SuperCometFragmentImpactExtraLargeExplosion!

Boom! diddleliddleliddle Boom! ti-di Boom!
Boom! diddleliddleliddle Boom! ti-di Boom!

...Und so weiter. My question is, whose toes (if any) have I stepped
on? Was the song ever finished? If not, could the verse I wrote be
considered a contribution? Any info would be appreciated.

As an aside, does anyone know of any filkers in or peripheral to the
Northern N.J. area? It gets lonely up here...

--
---------------- net @ccess corporation ----------------
Joseph J. Anthony Phone: 201-983-0725

Martin Gordon-Kerr

Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97

In article <34073284...@nac.net>, jja <j...@nac.net> writes

>A while back I read the above portmanteu word (see subject) and was
>enchanted. The intrepid filker who originated the phrase was apparently
>working on the full song, but I heard no more about it. My mind
>wouldn't leave it alone, and I wrote the following verse and chorus:
>
>Back in July of '94, astronomers took hope
>To see a stream of broken comet in their telescopes.
>They gathered data bit by bit to plot trajectory --
>They saw it met with Jupiter, and knew that there would be... A...
>
>SuperCometFragmentImpactExtraLargeExplosion!
>Stirring all astronomers with passion and commotion!
>Making mighty ripples in the gassy giant's oceans!
>SuperCometFragmentImpactExtraLargeExplosion!
>
>Boom! diddleliddleliddle Boom! ti-di Boom!
>Boom! diddleliddleliddle Boom! ti-di Boom!

It certainly exists! Though I don't know who would have the lyrics...

And has been performed a few times in the UK by the nMC. Along with the
full Dick Van Dyke bit. Now that was an encore...at Obliter-8 Milton
Keynes in '98, of course...

Cheers

Martin GK
--
Starsky's Hutch - the home of Spotted on an EDI message standard:
Martin and Andrea Gordon-Kerr "Single European Market Declaration

Mary Kay Kare

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

In article <34073284...@nac.net>, jja <j...@nac.net> wrote:

> A while back I read the above portmanteu word (see subject) and was
> enchanted. The intrepid filker who originated the phrase was apparently
> working on the full song, but I heard no more about it. My mind
> wouldn't leave it alone, and I wrote the following verse and chorus:
>

>[snip]

> ...Und so weiter. My question is, whose toes (if any) have I stepped
> on? Was the song ever finished? If not, could the verse I wrote be
> considered a contribution? Any info would be appreciated.

As many people have now informed you, it was my spouse, Jordin, who wrote
the song. Gene Shoemaker got to hear it before he died and he liked it
too. I think there are 3 verses. If Jordin has actually written them
down, I'll try to find them and post them. RSN

MK (who's suffering badly from post-worldcon lag--much worse than jet lag)

Mary Kay Kare
Compuserve's Team SF/F

Marilee J. Layman

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

In <kare-03099...@ppp-astk20--169.sirius.net>, ka...@sirius.com
(Mary Kay Kare) wrote:

>As many people have now informed you, it was my spouse, Jordin, who wrote
>the song. Gene Shoemaker got to hear it before he died and he liked it
>too. I think there are 3 verses. If Jordin has actually written them
>down, I'll try to find them and post them. RSN

Since Mary Kay has given implicit permission, here's Jordin's original
post with the lyrics:

OK, since several of you asked for it...

Super Comet Fragment Impact Extra-Large Explosions

Lyrics copyright 1995 by Jordin Kare
Music: Supercalifragilistic-Expialidocious

Super comet fragment impact extra-large explosions
Even though a sight to stir astronomers' emotions
If you watch them long enough you'll get peculiar notions
Super comet fragment impact extra-large explosions!

I used to talk of dinosaurs and layers of irid-
Ium until my friends all ran, and all the neighbors hid.
But now my tales of comet hails are what they want to know,
And all because Ma Nature has put on a cosmic show, of....

Super...

[Verse by Bill Higgins]

For several weeks those gleeful geeks would show up on my TV
Trading all their theories about Shoemaker-Levy
They think it's more fun watching, from Mt. Stromlo to Cal Tech,
Than a demolition derby or a locomotive wreck.

Super...

Professionals watch Jupiter with Keck and Hale and Hubble,
But we can see those spots and flares with hardly any trouble.
Be wary of astronomy, for it can change your life.
I watched them with me girl one night, and now me girl's me wife!
([Whack!] ...and a stellar thing she is, too...)

Those...
Super comet fragment impact extra-large explosions
Even though a sight to stir astronomers' emotions
If you watch them long enough you'll miss a few promotions!
Super comet fragment impact extra-large explosions!
Jordin Kare

From: j...@s1.gov (Jordin Kare)
Newsgroups: alt.music.filk
Subject: SuperCometFragmentImpact...
Date: 9 Jan 1996 02:06:58 GMT

Note that Jordin has a new e-mail address, although I don't remember
it offhand.

--
Marilee J. Layman Co-Leader, The Other*Worlds*Cafe
RELM Mu...@aol.com A Science Fiction Discussion Group

Bill Higgins

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

I took one of my rare looks at r.m.f. and found this--

In article <kare-03099...@ppp-astk20--169.sirius.net>, ka...@sirius.com (Mary Kay Kare) writes:
> In article <34073284...@nac.net>, jja <j...@nac.net> wrote:
>> ...Und so weiter. My question is, whose toes (if any) have I stepped
>> on? Was the song ever finished? If not, could the verse I wrote be
>> considered a contribution? Any info would be appreciated.
>

> As many people have now informed you, it was my spouse, Jordin, who wrote
> the song. Gene Shoemaker got to hear it before he died and he liked it
> too. I think there are 3 verses.

As far as I know, Jordin wrote 2, and I wrote one. Here's the story.

Soon after the comet hit in July of 1994, I became frustrated at my
inability to come up with a suitable filksong for it, so I posted to
alt.music.filk asking whether anybody else had composed one.

Jordin Kare wrote:

> Your ^*%*&^ post on alt.music.filk got me started, even though
>I've got too many other things to do...

On 3 August 1994, he posted a two-verse version to alt.music.filk
as Message-ID: <31msc5$b...@s1.gov>, saying:

>Courtesy of Bill Higgins' request for comet songs, I started
>musing about comet fragments, and comet impacts, and
>comet fragment impacts, and came up with....

I suggested a middle verse to insert between the two, and Jordin
graciously accepted it. After a bit of tweaking, he wound up with the
perhaps-canonical version I'll append. (If it's *not* canonical, I'm
sure Dr. Kare will correct me.)

The song flashed around the world on astronomers' e-mail lists. Once,
our agents detected a classroom full of grade-schoolers singing it
over a satellite video hookup to astronomers at the South Pole on a
PBS special. And I performed it once live for Doctor Demento's
benefit (he liked it). I'm glad I was able to trigger off Jordin's
inspiration.

If Jupiter Could Talk: | Bill Higgins
"Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! | Fermilab
Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! | Internet: hig...@fnal.fnal.gov
Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!" | Bitnet: Sic transit gloria mundi

=========================

Super Comet Fragment Impact
Jordin T. Kare and Bill Higgins
Copyright 1994 by Jordin T. Kare and Bill Higgins

So Bill asked innocently whether anyone had written a song about the
Jovian Train Wreck, and the Muse of Parody tortured Jordin until the
answer was "yes." Tune: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious," of
course.

Chorus:

Super comet fragment impact extra-large explosions
Even though a sight to stir astronomers' emotions
If you watch them long enough you'll get peculiar notions

S-c-f-i-e-l-e

Verse 1

I used to talk of dinosaurs and layers of irid-

Ium until my friends all ran and all the neighbors hid.

But now my tales of comet hails are what they want to know

And all because Ma Nature has put on a cosmic show.

Verse 2

For several weeks those gleeful geeks have popped up on my Teevee
Astronomers displaying pictures of Shoemaker-Levy
It's giving more enjoyment, from Mt. Stromlo to Caltech
Than a demolition derby or a locomotive wreck!

Verse 3

Professionals watch Jupiter with Keck and Hale and Hubble

But we can see those spots and flares with hardly any trouble

Be wary of astronomy, for it can change your life

I watched them with me girl one night, and now me girl's me wife

[whack!] And a stellar thing she is, too

Those...
(changed chorus:
If you watch them long enough you'll miss a few promotions...)

Bill Higgins

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

In article <memo.19970919...@vhousden.compulink.co.uk>, vhou...@cix.co.uk (Valerie Housden) writes:
> Very early in 1995 Colin Tuckley gave me a copy of the song.
> At this point a light bulb went "ping", with the result that
> the n'Early Music Consort sang it in four/five part harmony
> (the alto line splits in a couple of places) at Obliter-8.

Very interesting-- but when a light bulb goes "ping!" that usually
means it's burned out...

Mark R. Leeper (mle...@lucent.com) on travel: | Bill Higgins
"Evelyn & I do a lot of traveling to other countries. | Fermilab
Why? Well, as I explain to people, | Internet:
any place you have not seen by the time you die, | hig...@fnal.fnal.gov
you will never get another chance." |

Valerie Housden

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

In message <1997Sep1...@fnald.fnal.gov>
hig...@fnald.fnal.gov (Bill Higgins) wrote:

Very early in 1995 Colin Tuckley gave me a copy of the song.

At this point a light bulb went "ping", with the result that
the n'Early Music Consort sang it in four/five part harmony
(the alto line splits in a couple of places) at Obliter-8.

Valerie

-------------------------------------

F-I-J-A-G-H

Filking Is Just A Goluptious Hobby

-------------------------------------

David G. Bell

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

In article <1997Sep1...@fnald.fnal.gov>
hig...@fnald.fnal.gov "Bill Higgins" writes:

> In article <memo.19970919...@vhousden.compulink.co.uk>,
> vhou...@cix.co.uk (Valerie Housden) writes:

> > Very early in 1995 Colin Tuckley gave me a copy of the song.
> > At this point a light bulb went "ping", with the result that
> > the n'Early Music Consort sang it in four/five part harmony
> > (the alto line splits in a couple of places) at Obliter-8.
>

> Very interesting-- but when a light bulb goes "ping!" that usually
> means it's burned out...

Valerie's lightbulbs have a habit of trying to find ultra-quiet
submarines crewed by filkers singing the Russian National Anthem.

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, Furry, and Punslinger..

Mark A Mandel

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

David G. Bell (db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: Valerie's lightbulbs have a habit of trying to find ultra-quiet

: submarines crewed by filkers singing the Russian National Anthem.

Did I hear somebody looking for crude filkers?

-- Mark A. Mandel
FIJAGH
Now, *filking*, on the other hand...

--
(If you are reading this in a newsgroup: To email me, remove the
obvious spam-block from the address.)

Mary Kay Kare

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

vhou...@cix.co.uk wrote:

> Very early in 1995 Colin Tuckley gave me a copy of the song.
> At this point a light bulb went "ping", with the result that
> the n'Early Music Consort sang it in four/five part harmony
> (the alto line splits in a couple of places) at Obliter-8.

If a recording of this exists, I'm sure Jordin would *love* to hear it.

MK

Bill Sutton

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

Mary Kay Kare (ka...@sirius.com) wrote:
: In article <memo.19970919...@vhousden.compulink.co.uk>,
: vhou...@cix.co.uk wrote:

It was done at Eastercon as well, most exquisitely.

Bill
--
Bill Sutton (w...@atl.hp.com) ++ Caveat Lector
WTEC - Networks TN 795-5612 ++