Filk: Squaring the Circle

Jeff Urs

Jun 18, 2021, 11:16:26 PM6/18/21
"Squaring the Circle"
ttto "Waltzing Matilda"

Once a Grecian math-man
Sat beside his drawing desk,
Straight-edge and compass laid there plain to see;
And he thought as he sought
Two areas to reconcile,
"It's soon a-squaring the circle I'll be."

Squaring the circle...

Though through the ages
Many minds were so beguiled,
No resolution could anyone see,
Till this guy, knowing pi,
Declared in 1882,
"Never a-squaring the circle you'll be."

Squaring the circle...

Along came a virus,
So, with friends we couldn't meet,
Sad as those mathematicians were we;
And we moaned and we groaned,
Each time we had to miss a con,
"No more a-sharing a circle we'll be."

Sharing a circle...

Up jumped a Lemming
And he posted far and wide,
"Don't you despair, for a-Zooming we'll be!"
And each voice may be heard
As I gaze on you in gallery view,
"You'll come a-squaring the circle with me!"

Squaring the circle...

--
Jeff

Arthur T.

Jun 19, 2021, 1:52:13 AM6/19/21
In Message-ID:<sajni9$uea$1...@dont-email.me>,
Jeff Urs <jeff...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Squaring the Circle"
>ttto "Waltzing Matilda"

Very nice. I like your segue from geometry to filking.

Should the last verse and chorus be "squaring" or "sharing"?

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Jeff Urs

Jun 19, 2021, 10:37:05 AM6/19/21
Arthur T. <art...@munged.invalid> wrote:
> In Message-ID:<sajni9$uea$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Jeff Urs <jeff...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Squaring the Circle"
>> ttto "Waltzing Matilda"
>
> Very nice. I like your segue from geometry to filking.

Thanks!

> Should the last verse and chorus be "squaring" or "sharing"?

It is "squaring", for the construction from the filk circle of the filk
Hollywood Squares that is a Zoom gallery view -- like the mathematical
construction, only an approximation, but oh, how much more successful a
one!

If you have not sat in on one, you really should.

--
Jeff

Arthur T.

Jun 19, 2021, 4:21:05 PM6/19/21
In Message-ID:<sakvef$ivu$1...@dont-email.me>,
Jeff Urs <jeff...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Arthur T. <art...@munged.invalid> wrote:
>> In Message-ID:<sajni9$uea$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> Jeff Urs <jeff...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Squaring the Circle"
>>> ttto "Waltzing Matilda"
>> Should the last verse and chorus be "squaring" or "sharing"?
>
>It is "squaring", for the construction from the filk circle of the filk
>Hollywood Squares that is a Zoom gallery view -- like the mathematical
>construction, only an approximation, but oh, how much more successful a
>one!
>
>If you have not sat in on one, you really should.

I am technologically challenged and can Zoom only via land-line. But
your explanation makes perfect sense.