I Couldn't Dance All Night

Jim Goulder

Aug 25, 2021, 10:32:22 PM8/25/21
NY mandates dance 'zones,' distancing when weddings resume

https://apnews.com/article/new-york-weddings-coronavirus-pandemic-wedding-re
ceptions-7f1c1f92ca6fa814a9f2b3b2bd874670

NY ending dance zones at weddings, other celebrations; allowing
bigger events at homes

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2021/04/ny-ending-dance-zones-at-weddin
gs-other-celebrations-allowing-bigger-events-at-homes.html

To: "I Could Have Danced All Night" [Frederick Loewe, music;
Alan Jay Lerner, lyrics; from My Fair Lady, 1956]

I Could Have Danced All Night (from "My Fair Lady")
https://youtu.be/cZBHzz2IxHg

I Could Have Danced All Night ('My Fair Lady' Piano Accompaniment)
https://youtu.be/0PL0Qip-ZJE

INTRO

Rules, rules, the governor has rules,
Restrictive zones must mark a ballroom floor.
Each guest must have a shot or test,
Keeping weddings safe is what they're for.

VERSE

I couldn't dance all night,
I couldn't dance quite right,
With zones marked on the floor.
If I had spread my wings,
I would've stepped on things,
And made some people sore.
I was annoyed and even toyed with flouting,
The Covid rules just out of spite.
But is it fair to ask us all to wear a mask,
And have to dance like plants all night?

CODA

This is our fate, folks,
It's New York State, folks,
And Cuomo is a bore.

REPRISE/DUET

I couldn't dance all night,
(What if you want to bust a move?)
I couldn't dance quite right,
(The Covid cops do not approve.)
With zones marked on the floor.
(You cross a line; you risk a fine.)
(Hey, I don't know how you can stay in the groove.)
If I had spread my wings,
(It's hard enough to stay apart.)
I would've stepped on things,
(To stay in zone is quite an art.)
And made some people sore.
(To wear a mask: an irksome task.)
(Should I even start?)
I was annoyed and even toyed with flouting,
The Covid rules just out of spite.
But is it fair to ask us all to wear a mask,
(Who codifies pandemic rules?)
(State government is made of fools!)
And have to dance like plants all night?

CODA

They cast a pall now,
On any ball now,
It's what we all deplore.

VERSE

I couldn't dance all night,
I couldn't dance quite right,
With zones marked on the floor.
If I had spread my wings,
I would've stepped on things,
And made some people sore.
I was annoyed and even toyed with flouting,
The Covid rules just out of spite.
It could be fair to ask us all to wear a mask,
But I'd no chance to dance all night.

Arthur T.

Aug 26, 2021, 5:31:56 PM8/26/21
In Message-ID:<sg6ufl$rrr$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
""Jim Goulder"" <jgou...@panix.com> wrote:

>NY mandates dance 'zones,' distancing when weddings resume

Good song.

This song growing out of those incidents reminds me of the back story
of "Safety Dance". From wikipedia: "The song was written by lead
singer Ivan Doroschuk after he had been kicked out of a club for pogo
dancing." <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_dance>

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com