New filk: Where's the Joy?

Arthur T.

Jun 29, 2022, 6:37:30 PM6/29/22
It's just a song!

Title: Where's the Joy?
ttto: Men of Harlech (Woad, etc.)

Where's the joy in growing older
Hands and feet both getting colder
If I were a little bolder
I'd just up and die
Friends and fam'ly getting fewer
Body smells too much like sewer
So I'm midst the others who're
Waiting just to die

Dying isn't easy
'Less you aren't queasy
There is work that only jerks
Would pawn off on their heirs because it's cheesy
So I go on, let life flow on
Hoping all along I'll find my woe gone
So, although, I know I'll grow drawn
I will wait to die

My lyrics copyright 2022 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial, non-political archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.

Gary McGath

Jun 29, 2022, 7:18:44 PM6/29/22
On 6/29/22 6:38 PM, Arthur T. wrote:
> It's just a song!
>
> Title: Where's the Joy?
> ttto: Men of Harlech (Woad, etc.)

Desperately needs a rebuttal, or at least a different angle. Let's see:

I have lived for seven decades
But I don't depend on mech aids
And I won't, like some old wreck, fade
To passivity.
I'm aware life has an ending
And to time I must be bending
But I will keep on contending
With mortality.

Let each day keep giving
To the life I'm living.
I'll keep on until I'm gone
Even as the years grow less forgiving.
I won't line up with the cattle
But will keep myself firm in the saddle
Till I fight my final battle,
And at last I fall.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Lee Gold XP

Jun 29, 2022, 7:33:42 PM6/29/22
On 6/29/2022 3:38 PM, Arthur T. wrote:
> It's just a song!
>
> Title: Where's the Joy?
> ttto: Men of Harlech (Woad, etc.)

So far I'm keeping Very Busy.

My roleplaying game amateur press association A&E comes out once a month,
deadline on the 21st of each month, 5 PM Pacific time.

Xenofilkia games out every other month , deadline the 7th each odd month
(so July 7th will be the deadline of Xeno #204).

I send out a short personal zine to friends invited to to do Reply All
each Monday keeping track of what I'm doing and observing on
the news and on Facebook.

I run a game once a month with computer bringing in my players
from New York, Berkeley, and Hawaii, as well as a couple of locals.

The Los Angeles Filkers Anonymous has a monthly filk session.
(Not concerts. Old-fashioned circles. Sometimes Chaos.
Sometimes Bardic.)

I'm writing the third & last of the VALHALLA fiction books.
The first two are for sale on Amazon and on Barnes & Noble
as paperbacks or as electronic downloads.

VALHALLA: Absent without Leave
VALHALLA: into the Darkness

These books are umm set in a heretical version of the Norse myths
(the Marvel universe need not apply), in which our heroine decided
that joining Valhalla to die at Ragnarok was silly so she went off to
destroy the enemy instead. She ended up freeing Loki, which
turned out to be useful, though she finds it unnerving when he
giggles at her.

The second book (as you may have guessed) confronts Fimbulwinter
and other problems. And more help from Loki.

The third book.... Well, it's up to 100,000 words or so. It'll probably
end at 120,000 words the way first two did. Then I'll go back and
rewrite it and polish it. Then I'll send it to the filker who's my
editor, and then it'll get published.

--Lee Gold (who hasn't noticed her hands getting colder, but does
sometimes wear socks)

Lee Gold XP

Jun 29, 2022, 8:12:54 PM6/29/22
On 6/29/2022 4:18 PM, Gary McGath wrote:
> Desperately needs a rebuttal, or at least a different angle. Let's see:

May I print this?

==Lee

Arthur T.

Jun 29, 2022, 8:13:47 PM6/29/22
In Message-ID:<t9imki$1ilj0$1...@dont-email.me>,
Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:

>On 6/29/22 6:38 PM, Arthur T. wrote:
>> It's just a song!
>>
>> Title: Where's the Joy?
>> ttto: Men of Harlech (Woad, etc.)
>>

>Desperately needs a rebuttal, or at least a different angle. Let's see:

Very nice rebuttal. I wish I could write that fast.

But one line didn't have the "expected" internal rhyme. What would
you think of changing
>I won't line up with the cattle
>But will keep myself firm in the saddle
to something like:
I don't prattle. I don't rattle
I will keep myself firm in the saddle

Lee Gold XP

Jun 29, 2022, 8:17:36 PM6/29/22
On 6/29/2022 4:18 PM, Gary McGath wrote:
> I have lived for seven decades

I plan to celebrate #80 in October.

My parents both lived till their late 80s
after having gone through considerably worse psychological
or physical problems than I ever have had to cope with.

--Lee

Gary McGath

Jun 29, 2022, 8:56:30 PM6/29/22
You may print it along with Arthur's song (which I assume is your
intent). Please add this note: "I dashed this off, imperfections and
all, in ten minutes after reading Arthur's verses and finding them too
depressing."

I'll leave the broken internal rhyme as is.

Lee Gold XP

Jun 29, 2022, 10:41:05 PM6/29/22
Yes, I'll print it along with Arthur's song.
And I'll add the note.

--Lee