Looking for "If Only I Could Sing My Songs Backwards"

Kennita Watson

Nov 4, 2022, 5:31:45 PM11/4/22
I just saw "Extra Ordinary" (2019 British comedy) and I've been trying to remember the lyrics to "If Only I Could Sing My Songs Backwards", which seems tailor-made for it. Does anyone know where to find it? Thanks!

david union

Nov 5, 2022, 2:50:15 PM11/5/22
On Friday, 4 November 2022 at 5:31:45 pm UTC-4, ken...@kennita.com wrote:
> I just saw "Extra Ordinary" (2019 British comedy) and I've been trying to remember the lyrics to "If Only I Could Sing My Songs Backwards", which seems tailor-made for it. Does anyone know where to find it? Thanks!

Could this be the song you are thinking of?
https://musiklus.com/product/sing-my-song-backwards/

Kennita Watson

Nov 6, 2022, 8:41:39 AM11/6/22
Unfortunately, no. The song that I am thinking of has lyrics that go, in part:

If only I could sing my songs backwards,
the way the rock stars do.
I could be successful if I could ride a messfull
of curses in verses and a Black Mass or two.
My agent's a toad. He's green and warty.
But he'll get my music up in the top 40.
And if only I could sing my songs backwards,
I could be a rock star too.

If only I could play my songs backwards,
I'd be a rock star who
Would stay up nights schemin' to conjure up a demon
To get my name in neon for a decade or two.
????
????
If only I could play my songs backwards,
All of my dreams would come true.

Thurible and chalice. Will I play The Palace?
Jammin' by the dark of the Moon.
Practicing my juju, conjuring Cthulhu.
Only they knew it; "Mairzy Doats" 'll do it!

I don't think I want to be a rock star;
I've changed my point of view.
The end isn't all well. I've learned from Jerry Falwell
That once you start to call Hell, it comes calling for you.
"They're everywhere! They're out to slay us!
The Wizard of Oz is really Asmodeus!

But...

If only I could sing my songs backwards,
I could be a filk star too. And,
If only I could play my songs backwards,
I could be a filk star too!

Live long and prosper - Kennita

P.S.: I'm amazed at how many of the words I remembered once I started writing them down, though I'm sure I got some of the non-???s wrong.

P.P.S.: I think the first person I ever heard perform this song was Harold Groot, though I'm not sure he wrote the lyrics. The tune may or may not be original.

P.P.S.: Yes, I'm hellbound; for this I've stayed up past 5:30 AM -- on the night the clocks​ were set back! Damn those earworms!

david union

Nov 8, 2022, 5:28:18 PM11/8/22
this is def a filk song and I think I have heard this at a filk sing before and I have no hope of remember the words as well as you
and it was not HG that did it at that filk sing but I can't remember more, I will have to dig into my memory more. But once you
write them I am sure I have heard this. IDK if it's on any of the home recorded filk tapes I can still find, i doubt it. that's a small
fraction of the initial total.