Filk: Newton got surpassed by Einstein's theory

Arthur T.

Dec 4, 2004, 9:39:17 PM12/4/04
Title: Newton Got Surpassed by Einstein's Theory
ttto: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Chorus:
Newton got surpassed by Einstein's theory
Pointing out that gravity's complex
You may say that classic physic's better
The rest of us await what will come next

There's string theory and then there's branes
Quantum gravity's a bitch
You need lots of odd conditions
If you want to make it work without a hitch

TOEs and GUTs and such like theories
Sound like kindergarten names
But our best and brightest students
Are looking for the facts to back their claims

No, it's not simple beyond Newton
Even relativity
Makes minds boggle at its wonder
That is those with science's proclivity

(I was thinking about songs for Newtonmass, but this one's
probably not suitable.)

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" speakeasy "dot" net
Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position

John in Detroit

Dec 4, 2004, 10:34:20 PM12/4/04
Arthur T. wrote:

> Title: Newton Got Surpassed by Einstein's Theory
> ttto: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
>
> Chorus:
> Newton got surpassed by Einstein's theory
> Pointing out that gravity's complex
> You may say that classic physic's better
> The rest of us await what will come next

I don't know if it means anything but when I first looked at this the
first line I saw was "Newton got surpassed....."

It was after I had sung the first verse in my head that I looked up and
saw I'd sung it to the proper tune.

Richard Eney

Dec 5, 2004, 1:00:14 PM12/5/04
In article <hus4r0l5hn0t89mqv...@4ax.com>,

Arthur T. <art...@munged.invalid> wrote:
>Title: Newton Got Surpassed by Einstein's Theory
>ttto: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

And you left out one heck of a lot of syllables. HERE are suggestions:

>Chorus:
>Newton got surpassed by Einstein's theory
>Pointing out that gravity's complex
>You may say that classic physic's better
>The rest of us await what will come next
>

>There's string theory and ALSO then there ARE branes
>Quantum gravity IS SURE a bitch
>You need TO HAVE A lot of odd conditions

>If you want to make it work without a hitch
>

>TOEs and GUTs and such like HIGHER theories
>Sound TO US like kindergarten names
>But SOMEHOW ALL our best and brightest students

>Are looking for the facts to back their claims
>

>No, it ISN'T simple beyond Newton
>Even GENERAL relativity
>Makes MUNDANE minds boggle at its wonder
>EVEN those with MATH'S proclivity

>(I was thinking about songs for Newtonmass, but this one's
>probably not suitable.)

Why not? If "Grandma Got Run Over" and "Rudolf" are OK for Xmas...

-- Dick Eney

Arthur T.

Dec 5, 2004, 2:38:39 PM12/5/04
In Message-ID:<10r6j5e...@corp.supernews.com>,
dic...@radix.net (Richard Eney) wrote:

>In article <hus4r0l5hn0t89mqv...@4ax.com>,
>Arthur T. <art...@munged.invalid> wrote:
>>Title: Newton Got Surpassed by Einstein's Theory
>>ttto: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
>
>And you left out one heck of a lot of syllables. HERE are suggestions:

<snip>

I did my best to match the syllables up with the tune as it
ran through my head, and with the words (as found online). I'll
try to find the tune on a CD, and see how I went wrong. It's also
possible that the *original* doesn't strictly keep to a fixed
meter (as with some other songs).

Thanks for pointing out possible problems *and* possible
solutions. I'll update more after I find and listen to the
original music.

>>(I was thinking about songs for Newtonmass, but this one's
>>probably not suitable.)
>
>Why not? If "Grandma Got Run Over" and "Rudolf" are OK for Xmas...

While it's pro-science, I thought it might be too anti-Newton
for a holiday named for him. It's not like Xmas, where it's so
firmly entrenched in our culture that it's time to start parodying
it. It's just my opinion; YMMV.

Kris Overstreet

Dec 5, 2004, 3:24:44 PM12/5/04
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:39:17 -0500, Arthur T. <art...@munged.invalid>
wrote:

>Title: Newton Got Surpassed by Einstein's Theory
>ttto: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Hm, the meter doesn't really line up all that well. Maybe I can do
better...

TTTO: "Elanor Rigby"

Ah, look at all the physics teachers
Ah, look at all the physics teachers

Einstein's theory says gravity
Is a curve that's created by mass
Einstein thought
What would you witness, what would you see
If you ran at the speed of light
Guess he was bright

All the physics students
Why do they all look bored?
All the physics teachers
Why do they talk so long?

Newton's equations put into words
Many things that we see every day
His theorems say
Time is a constant, mass stays the same
Einstein proved that Newton was wrong
What a ding-dong

All the physics students
Why do they all look bored?
All the physics teachers
Why do they talk so long?

Ah, look at all the physics teachers
Ah, look at all the physics teachers

Einstein's theory helps us to launch
GPS satellites that we use
To navigate cars
Newton's equations may be the bunk
But for most things they're close enough
For government work

All my physics exams
Why did I flunk them all?
All you physics eggheads
Do you detest my song?

Redneck

John in Detroit

Dec 5, 2004, 3:34:22 PM12/5/04
Arthur T. wrote:

> I did my best to match the syllables up with the tune as it
> ran through my head, and with the words (as found online). I'll
> try to find the tune on a CD, and see how I went wrong. It's also
> possible that the *original* doesn't strictly keep to a fixed
> meter (as with some other songs).

Friend of mine happens to be an award winning English teacher at a
nearby school. (used his prize money to pay for his honeymoon, I'm not
kidding when I say "Award Wining", I got to sing at his wedding, along
with the rest of the choir)

He's also the substitute music teacher

I gave him a print out.. He's forwarding to the physics teacher.

Lee Gold

Dec 5, 2004, 7:10:22 PM12/5/04
"Arthur T." wrote:

> >>(I was thinking about songs for Newtonmass, but this one's
> >>probably not suitable.)
> >
> >Why not? If "Grandma Got Run Over" and "Rudolf" are OK for Xmas...
>
> While it's pro-science, I thought it might be too anti-Newton
> for a holiday named for him.

Umm, we celebrate not "a holilday named for Newton" but
Newton's Birthday. No religious ceremony/mass, so
no -mas on it. No particular tie in with Christmas,
Hanukah, or any other holidays occurring at roughly
the same time.

We do hang Newton pippins from the ceiling.

--Lee

Jenrose

Dec 6, 2004, 3:10:20 AM12/6/04

"Kris Overstreet" <red...@wlpcomics.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:39:17 -0500, Arthur T. <art...@munged.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Title: Newton Got Surpassed by Einstein's Theory
>>ttto: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
>
> Hm, the meter doesn't really line up all that well. Maybe I can do
> better...
>
> TTTO: "Elanor Rigby"
>
> Ah, look at all the physics teachers
> Ah, look at all the physics teachers
>
> Einstein's theory says gravity
> Is a curve that's created by mass
> Einstein thought
> What would you witness, what would you see
> If you ran at the speed of light
> Guess he was bright
>
> All the physics students
> Why do they all look bored?
> All the physics teachers
> Why do they talk so long?

ROFL! I like this.

I *loved* science in high school. Had a blast. Took physics, chem, biology,
Calculus A-C--IIRC I aced them all. Got to a state university, took a
physics class, and while I did fine in the labs, the grad student teaching
the vast lecture was *so* dull that I would try to concentrate on him and
find that I'd been staring at a crack in the wall for 15 minutes because it
was far more interesting. Remember, I *like* physics. I *like* math. He gave
a test. I got about half the problems right. The curve was *so* bad that
50%=C-. Worst class I've ever taken, especially sad because it had been one
of my favorite subjects.

Jenrose

John in Detroit

Dec 6, 2004, 4:45:18 AM12/6/04
Jenrose wrote:

> I *loved* science in high school. Had a blast. Took physics, chem, biology,
> Calculus A-C--IIRC I aced them all. Got to a state university, took a
> physics class, and while I did fine in the labs, the grad student teaching
> the vast lecture was *so* dull that I would try to concentrate on him and
> find that I'd been staring at a crack in the wall for 15 minutes because it
> was far more interesting. Remember, I *like* physics. I *like* math. He gave
> a test. I got about half the problems right. The curve was *so* bad that
> 50%=C-. Worst class I've ever taken, especially sad because it had been one
> of my favorite subjects.

I had one teacher like that in High School.. He did not last long

I too loved (And still love) science and math

Joe Kesselman

Dec 6, 2004, 11:28:54 PM12/6/04
Reindeer got run over by my grandma
Driving home from our house late at night
You may say there's no such thing as Santa
And since last Christmas evening, you'd be right.

Arthur T.

Dec 7, 2004, 9:58:24 AM12/7/04
In Message-ID:<10r6j5e...@corp.supernews.com>,
dic...@radix.net (Richard Eney) wrote:

>In article <hus4r0l5hn0t89mqv...@4ax.com>,
>Arthur T. <art...@munged.invalid> wrote:
>>Title: Newton Got Surpassed by Einstein's Theory
>>ttto: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
>
>And you left out one heck of a lot of syllables.

I let the people in the critique group look at this, and I
think the problem you're seeing is based on trying to make the
verses fit the scansion of the chorus. However, they pointed out
a couple of other errors I made, so I'll be reposting an updated
version, anyway.

Since they pointed out one *major* boner, thanks for making
me ask them for help.

Arthur T.

Dec 7, 2004, 10:15:34 AM12/7/04
Joe, please forgive me. That premise seemed too good to
leave as a fragment.

In Message-ID:<31kps5F...@individual.net>,
Joe Kesselman <keshlam...@comcast.net> wrote:

Uncle Jim had spiked the egg nog
Grandma never touches booze
So she didn't know THAT flavor
Was what was causing her to blow a fuse

Then she got into her Buick
Put the pedal to the floor
When we pulled her from the wreckage
We could see there'd be no Claus, forevermore

(chorus)

Now what should we tell the children?
Should we spoil Christmas day?
Or be careful in our wording,
And tell them about Grandma's Christmas slay?

It's not Christmas without Santa
Gram and Jim are both in jail
We may have to sell our presents
If we want to have enough to pay the bail

(chorus)

Joshua Kronengold

Dec 7, 2004, 5:24:04 PM12/7/04
In article <41B3A36E...@comcast.net>,

Lee Gold <lee....@comcast.net> wrote:

>Umm, we celebrate not "a holilday named for Newton" but
>Newton's Birthday. No religious ceremony/mass, so
>no -mas on it.

True.

OTOH, I actually rather like the idea of Newtonmass -- after all, mass is
quite important to Newton. :)

--
Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
--^-- "Get your mind right and you can make a stick /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'

Rich Brown

Dec 7, 2004, 6:33:43 PM12/7/04
Cool! I have a couple suggestions. Do with them as you will.

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 14:24:44 -0600, Kris Overstreet wrote:

> Einstein's theory says gravity
> Is a curve that's created by mass
> Einstein thought

Shouldn't there be another syllable in that line?
"So Einstein thought."

> All the physics students
> Why do they all look bored?
> All the physics teachers
> Why do they talk so long?

"They know they'll be ignored."

Rich Brown

Dec 7, 2004, 8:42:46 PM12/7/04
http://news.com.com/What+corporate+America+cant+build+a+sentence/2100-1030_3-5481494.html

Grammar got run over in the email.
Punctuation took a beating too.
Are these typos or just horrid spelling?
And capitals are Much Too Hard To Do.

Filksinger

Dec 7, 2004, 9:49:52 PM12/7/04

While I can't think of a good filk response, I definitely understand the
sentiment. Personally, I go so far as to attempt to avoid ending a
sentence with a preposition in instant messaging, much less email, but
I'm still guilty of multiple crimes against grammar and clarity on occasion.

<blame> Usually said crimes are caused by cutting and pasting.</blame>
I'm not sure how this absolves me of guilt, but it works for me.:)

--
Filksinger
AKA David Nasset, Sr.

Filksinger

Dec 7, 2004, 10:01:12 PM12/7/04
Filksinger wrote:
> Rich Brown wrote:
>
>> http://news.com.com/What+corporate+America+cant+build+a+sentence/2100-1030_3-5481494.html
>>

>> Grammar got run over in the email.
>> Punctuation took a beating too.
>> Are these typos or just horrid spelling?
>> And capitals are Much Too Hard To Do.
>

> While I can't think of a good filk response,

I remembered something. Not exactly filk, but close:

"Candidate for a Pullet Surprise", at

http://ifaq.wap.org/computers/spellcheck.html

Arthur T.

Dec 7, 2004, 10:24:43 PM12/7/04
Here it is with the fixes (with a little help from the
critique list). If you think I have scansion problems, remember
that the verses have a different pattern than the chorus does.

Title: Newton Got Surpassed by Einstein's Theory
ttto: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Chorus:
Newton got surpassed by Einstein's theory
Pointing out that gravity's complex

You may like the classic physics better
The rest of us await what's coming next

Some say branes and some string theory

Quantum gravity's a bitch
You need lots of odd conditions
If you want to make it work without a hitch

TOEs and GUTs and such like theories
Sound like kindergarten names
But our best and brightest students
Are looking for the facts to back their claims

It's not simple beyond Newton

Even relativity
Makes minds boggle at its wonder
That is those with science's proclivity

(Chorus)

Joe Kesselman

Dec 7, 2004, 11:37:27 PM12/7/04
BTW, one minor quibble: I'm not sure the slay/sleigh pun will come
across clearly when sung rather than written. It may need a bit more
polishing/support.

Dave Weingart

Dec 8, 2004, 12:23:47 PM12/8/04
One day in Teletubbyland, mn...@io.com (Joshua Kronengold) said:
>OTOH, I actually rather like the idea of Newtonmass -- after all, mass is
>quite important to Newton. :)

And if you eat too many Newtons, your mass will increase.
--
73 de Dave Weingart KA2ESK Loyalty oaths. Secret searches. No-fly
mailto:phyd...@liii.com lists. Detention without legal recourse.

Kate Gladstone

Dec 8, 2004, 12:37:55 PM12/8/04
Re:

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:39:17 -0500, Arthur T. <art...@munged.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >Title: Newton Got Surpassed by Einstein's Theory
> >ttto: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
>
> Hm, the meter doesn't really line up all that well. Maybe I can do
> better...
>

> TTTO: "El[e]anor Rigby"

> Ah, look at all the physics teachers

> Ah, look at all the physics teachers ...

I *love* this! And it might make a great closing hymn for Newton's
Birthday celebrations ...

By the way: pronouncing "theory" in two syllables, as many do
("THEE-ree") takes care of some of the tough bits of scansion.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Kate Gladstone - Handwriting Repair - ka...@global2000.net

Kate Gladstone

Dec 8, 2004, 12:38:35 PM12/8/04
Re a title for:

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:39:17 -0500, Arthur T. <art...@munged.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >Title: Newton Got Surpassed by Einstein's Theory
> >ttto: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
>
> Hm, the meter doesn't really line up all that well. Maybe I can do
> better...
>

> TTTO: "El[e]anor Rigby"

How about titling it "Einsteinian Theory"?

Kate Gladstone

Dec 8, 2004, 12:50:34 PM12/8/04
Re:

> BTW, one minor quibble: I'm not sure the slay/sleigh pun will come
> across clearly when sung rather than written. It may need a bit more
> polishing/support.

Emphasizing (even slightly drawling) the word should solve the problem -
at least, I once (too long ago) heard an SCA member sing a JINGLE BELLS
parody which ended one verse with

"... a SLAYing song tonight!" ...

and, in the context (of killing) with "SLAY" stressed, EVERYbody got it!

Fax Paladin

Dec 8, 2004, 1:17:50 PM12/8/04
"Arthur T." wrote:

> Here it is with the fixes (with a little help from the
> critique list). If you think I have scansion problems, remember
> that the verses have a different pattern than the chorus does.
>
> Title: Newton Got Surpassed by Einstein's Theory
> ttto: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
>
> Chorus:
> Newton got surpassed by Einstein's theory
> Pointing out that gravity's complex
> You may like the classic physics better
> The rest of us await what's coming next
>
> Some say branes and some string theory
> Quantum gravity's a bitch
> You need lots of odd conditions
> If you want to make it work without a hitch
>
> TOEs and GUTs and such like theories
> Sound like kindergarten names
> But our best and brightest students
> Are looking for the facts to back their claims
>
> It's not simple beyond Newton
> Even relativity
> Makes minds boggle at its wonder
> That is those with science's proclivity
>
> (Chorus)

Ah, here's what's tripping me up - I think there's only two quatrains
between choruses, as I'm remembering the melody, so I was trying to sing
"It's not simple beyond Newton" to the chorus. You need another quatrain here.

Fax
--
a"} HAVE PUN, WILL TRAVEL |The Texas Filk Page
/_\ Fax Paladin, Waco |http://www.texasfilk.org

Arthur T.

Dec 8, 2004, 1:35:57 PM12/8/04
In Message-ID:<31neo5F...@individual.net>,
Joe Kesselman <keshlam...@comcast.net> wrote:

>BTW, one minor quibble: I'm not sure the slay/sleigh pun will come
>across clearly when sung rather than written.

Tone of voice and body language could help. Also, I've been
told that filkers never miss a pun. (Probably, even if one wasn't
meant.)

>It may need a bit more polishing/support.

Despite my comments, above, I'll see what I can come up with.

Kris Overstreet

Dec 8, 2004, 2:41:49 PM12/8/04
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:37:55 GMT, Kate Gladstone <ka...@global2000.net>
wrote:

>By the way: pronouncing "theory" in two syllables, as many do
>("THEE-ree") takes care of some of the tough bits of scansion.

It's not quite a two-syllable word, but in American parlance the schwa
'o' is so soft as not to merit inclusion in the meter; it's slurred
over into the next syllable.

Redneck

Kris Overstreet

Dec 8, 2004, 2:40:01 PM12/8/04
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:33:43 -0600, Rich Brown <rab...@freemars.org>
wrote:

>Cool! I have a couple suggestions. Do with them as you will.
>
>On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 14:24:44 -0600, Kris Overstreet wrote:
>
>> Einstein's theory says gravity
>> Is a curve that's created by mass
>> Einstein thought
>Shouldn't there be another syllable in that line?
>"So Einstein thought."

For whatever reason, I pronounce 'Einstein' with three syllables-
"EYE-en-stein"- or just a stretched first syllable- "EYEEEN-stein."

Don't know why, aside from sloppy diction, but that's where I get the
meter.

Redneck

Joe Kesselman (address as shown)

Dec 8, 2004, 9:17:44 PM12/8/04
> And if you eat too many Newtons, your mass will increase.

I thought they ate matzoh at mass...

Arthur T.

Dec 8, 2004, 9:48:41 PM12/8/04
In Message-ID:<31neo5F...@individual.net>,
Joe Kesselman <keshlam...@comcast.net> wrote:

There's also the hint of a pun to come with the previous
line:

Or be careful in our wording,

Despite that, Here's an alternate verse for anyone who:
A. thinks the song is worth singing, and
B. is not comfortable with the pun.

'Twould be hardest on the children
We do not want them to know
That their grandma did in Santa
When she couldn't stop her Buick in the snow

Note to Joe about archiving:

See my following note to Kay. I definitely feel that the
idea is yours. If you're not comfortable with my treatment of it,
we can tell Kay not to archive it.

Note to Kay for archiving:

I note that both Joe and I are on the blanket permission
list. He wrote the chorus and got this started. I prefer my
original penultimate verse; if possible, archive it that way with
a note about this alternate. (But see above note to Joe; don't
archive it until he has a chance to say "no".)

Joe Kesselman (address as shown)

Dec 9, 2004, 12:14:07 AM12/9/04
Arthur T. wrote:
> See my following note to Kay. I definitely feel that the
> idea is yours. If you're not comfortable with my treatment of it,
> we can tell Kay not to archive it.

I'm comfortable, and I'll only take 1/5 credit (OK, _maybe_ 1/3 credit
for being the instigator). My comment's just a fine-tuning thought, and
as I said I don't have a specific alternative to propose right now.

If you're happy, great; let it stand, and we can filk-process it later
if the muse throws us another fish.

David G. Bell

Dec 9, 2004, 4:34:10 AM12/9/04
On Wednesday, in article <31pqsrF...@individual.net>
keshlam...@comcast.net
"Joe Kesselman (address as shown)" wrote:

> Kate Gladstone wrote:
> > "... a SLAYing song tonight!" ...
>

> "Slaying" is easier to spot as a pun than "christmas slay", I think; the
> transitive form is more commonly heard these days, and would in fact be
> more idiomatic for this phrase. I think folks _would_ get "slay-ride",
> and there are probably other forms which would click, but I haven't come
> up with a simple tweak I'm completely happy with yet.

If Buffy were getting married, and the villians collaborated to trap
her, would they be going for a slay bride together?

Wrought under license granted by Her Majesty's Apostropher Royal AD MMIV

Martin DeMello

Dec 9, 2004, 6:08:51 AM12/9/04
Dave Weingart <phyd...@liii.com> wrote:
> One day in Teletubbyland, mn...@io.com (Joshua Kronengold) said:
> >OTOH, I actually rather like the idea of Newtonmass -- after all, mass is
> >quite important to Newton. :)
>
> And if you eat too many Newtons, your mass will increase.

I don't give a fig.

martin

Arthur T.

Dec 9, 2004, 8:55:38 PM12/9/04
In Message-ID:<20041209.09...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>,

db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") wrote:

>On Wednesday, in article <31pqsrF...@individual.net>
> keshlam...@comcast.net
> "Joe Kesselman (address as shown)" wrote:
>
>> Kate Gladstone wrote:
>> > "... a SLAYing song tonight!" ...
>>
>> "Slaying" is easier to spot as a pun than "christmas slay", I think; the
>> transitive form is more commonly heard these days, and would in fact be
>> more idiomatic for this phrase. I think folks _would_ get "slay-ride",
>> and there are probably other forms which would click, but I haven't come
>> up with a simple tweak I'm completely happy with yet.
>
>If Buffy were getting married, and the villians collaborated to trap
>her, would they be going for a slay bride together?

When one thug tells someone, "I want you should get in da
car", that's probably an invitation to a slay ride.

Joe Ellis

Dec 9, 2004, 2:40:01 PM12/9/04
In article <20041209.09...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>,
db...@zhochaka.org.uk wrote:

>On Wednesday, in article <31pqsrF...@individual.net>
> keshlam...@comcast.net
> "Joe Kesselman (address as shown)" wrote:
>
>> Kate Gladstone wrote:
>> > "... a SLAYing song tonight!" ...
>>
>> "Slaying" is easier to spot as a pun than "christmas slay", I think; the
>> transitive form is more commonly heard these days, and would in fact be
>> more idiomatic for this phrase. I think folks _would_ get "slay-ride",
>> and there are probably other forms which would click, but I haven't come
>> up with a simple tweak I'm completely happy with yet.
>
>If Buffy were getting married, and the villians collaborated to trap
>her, would they be going for a slay bride together?

Isn't that what the two "Kill Bill" movies were about?

--

Joe Ellis