Filk: The Once and Future Queen

Jeff Urs

Dec 9, 2021, 7:05:23 AM12/9/21
A while ago the periodic Problem of Susan Narnia discussion cropped up
again, this time on Filkhaven, leading now, after a longish gestation, to
this...

"The Once and Future Queen"
Words and Music by Jeff Urs

A long time ago, when we all were just kids,
I'd count and I'd seek while the three of you hid;
When I'd finally spy where you'd chosen to lie,
I'd clap and I'd laugh and triumphantly cry

"I've found you! I've found you! That's Lucy I see!
There's Peter; there's Edmund; I've found you, all three!
Now, Lucy, you count while the rest of us run,
And together forever we'll keep finding fun."

Oh, Lucy, when Aslan for Edmund was slain,
How we wept to find empty the stone where he'd lain,
But we started on hearing behind us a sound,
And shouted with joy when we'd both turned around

"I've found you! I've found you! But -- how is it so?
By knife and rope cut, only moments ago
You lay dead on the slab." But he simply advised,
"Those just learning the law will be by it surprised."

So when I was told that I could not return,
I said that I saw, but within it still burned --
Oh, Lucy, I told of that wealthy man's son,
But how could I tell of the things he had done?

"I've found you, I've found you -- my heavens, you're sweet;
Oh, won't you come up, take a load off your feet?
Just sit yourself down, you have nothing to fear;
Now, how would you like some Madeira, my dear?"

Madeira at first, but then it was pills,
And then you were gone, and I thought all my ills
I would end, but a friend spoke to me of a way
And of truth and of life, till at last I could say

"I've found you! I've found you! I've found you -- again?
For I'm certain we've met, but I couldn't say when,"
Till I thought of the nails and remembered the rope,
Back when we were surprised by an unforeseen hope.

Since then, it's been good, though I've wished you could know
How I found what I'd lost, how I miss you all so;
But my day's come at last: in and up I have passed,
And as over his country my gaze now I cast

"I've found you! I've found you! Oh, Lucy, it's me!
Oh, Peter, oh, Edmund, I've found you, all three;
Oh, upward and inward now let us all run,
And together forever we'll keep finding fun."

"I've found you! I've found you! It really is you!
Oh, Lucy, oh, Peter, oh, Edmund, it's true,
That thing Aslan said about Narnian crowns:
Once one's put on your head it is never put down."

--
Jeff

Lee Gold XP

Dec 9, 2021, 8:33:33 AM12/9/21
On 12/9/2021 4:05 AM, Jeff Urs wrote:
> A while ago the periodic Problem of Susan Narnia discussion cropped up
> again, this time on Filkhaven, leading now, after a longish gestation, to
> this...
>
> "The Once and Future Queen"
> Words and Music by Jeff Urs

Where does one go to hear the music?

---Lee Gold

Jeff Urs

Dec 9, 2021, 10:45:37 AM12/9/21

Gary McGath

Dec 9, 2021, 10:59:55 AM12/9/21
On 12/9/21 7:05 AM, Jeff Urs wrote:
> A while ago the periodic Problem of Susan Narnia discussion cropped up
> again, this time on Filkhaven, leading now, after a longish gestation, to
> this...
>
> "The Once and Future Queen"
> Words and Music by Jeff Urs

I don't know Narnia well enough to follow all of it, in particular the
wealthy man's son, but it certain takes some startling twists. Listening
on SoundCloud right now.

While we're talking about SoundCloud, I should mention I've made most of
my tracks there downloadable.

https://soundcloud.com/garym03062/

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Jeff Urs

Dec 9, 2021, 11:08:30 PM12/9/21
Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> On 12/9/21 7:05 AM, Jeff Urs wrote:
>> A while ago the periodic Problem of Susan Narnia discussion cropped up
>> again, this time on Filkhaven, leading now, after a longish gestation, to
>> this...
>>
>> "The Once and Future Queen"
>> Words and Music by Jeff Urs
>
> I don't know Narnia well enough to follow all of it, in particular the
> wealthy man's son, but it certain takes some startling twists.

According to the accounts of her family, Susan is concerned with
superficial things like invitations and lipstick, and they feel those
things have pried her away from Narnia.

But her family's just human and fallible. What if she really rejects Narnia
because it rejected her first? What if she cares about invitations because
they are her access to what some wealthy young wastrel got her hooked on?
What if she wears make-up to hide the signs? What if she's too ashamed to
talk about it?

And what happens when someone meets her where she is?

--
Jeff

Jeff Urs

Dec 11, 2021, 11:38:14 PM12/11/21
And now, with something resembling guitar accompaniment,

https://m.soundcloud.com/jeff_urs/the-once-and-future-queen-1

--
Jeff

Lee Gold XP

Dec 12, 2021, 2:40:43 AM12/12/21
On 12/11/2021 8:38 PM, Jeff Urs wrote:
> And now, with something resembling guitar accompaniment,
>
> https://m.soundcloud.com/jeff_urs/the-once-and-future-queen-1

Thank you

--Lee

Joe Kesselman

Dec 12, 2021, 1:55:04 PM12/12/21
On 12/9/2021 11:08 PM, Jeff Urs wrote:
> And what happens when someone meets her where she is?

That's often a productive approach -- find a character whose voice isn't
being heard, or who feels they aren't being heard fairly, and give them
a chance to express their side of the story.

For years I've been wanting to write a response to Michelle Dockrey's
_Persephone_ to give Hades' view. He deserves a chance to say "I'm sorry
I couldn't be what you needed." I haven't found his voice yet. If
someone else has done it well, please let me know.

Gary McGath

Dec 12, 2021, 7:47:19 PM12/12/21
That's what I did with "Rahab's Lament" (as in the massacre of Jericho).
I'm proud to say that Juanita Coulson adopted the song.