MP3: "Altar of Fire"

1 view

Benjamin Newman

Feb 25, 2002, 10:44:29 AM2/25/02
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~bnewman/sounds/AltarOfFire.mp3

Enjoy!

~ Ben Newman
--
"Evolution is a change from a nohowish, untalkaboutable all-alikeness, to
a somehowish and in-general-talkaboutable not-all-alikeness, by continuous
somethingelsifications and sticktogetherations."
-- Kirkman, after Spencer

Ace Lightning

Feb 26, 2002, 9:33:16 PM2/26/02
Benjamin Newman wrote:
>http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~bnewman/sounds/AltarOfFire.mp3

There's only one word for this...

Tasty!

Benjamin Newman

Feb 27, 2002, 12:33:06 AM2/27/02

Yep. I'd been away from my wok for close on a month when, just yesterday,
this song wrote itself, in less than an hour. I figured my muse was
telling me something. So, tonight, beef fried rice -- *very* tasty!

Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam)

Feb 27, 2002, 12:01:01 PM2/27/02
Benjamin Newman wrote:
> I'd been away from my wok for close on a month

Crossing this with the Purim/60's topics yields:

Hey, man; take a wok on the wild side...

(Or maybe that should be a wok of the wild rice. But there's
no easy wok to freedom.)
Joe Kesselman, http://www.lovesong.com/people/keshlam/
Opinions expressed are solely those of a random number
generator

Lee Gold

Feb 27, 2002, 12:55:35 PM2/27/02
"Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam)" wrote:

> Benjamin Newman wrote:
> > I'd been away from my wok for close on a month
>
> Crossing this with the Purim/60's topics yields:
>
> Hey, man; take a wok on the wild side...
>
> (Or maybe that should be a wok of the wild rice. But there's
> no easy wok to freedom.)

My grandmother's wok was too large for the shelf
So it had to remain on the floor.
She used it to cook for a fam'ly of twelve
And she fed them on stirfry galore.

(to the tune of "Grandfather's Clock")

Ace Lightning

Feb 28, 2002, 1:16:31 AM2/28/02
Benjamin Newman wrote:
>>>http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~bnewman/sounds/AltarOfFire.mp3
>>There's only one word for this...
>>Tasty!
>Yep. I'd been away from my wok for close on a month when, just yesterday,
>this song wrote itself, in less than an hour. I figured my muse was
>telling me something. So, tonight, beef fried rice -- *very* tasty!

How on earth can you be away from your wok for a *month*? I make
stir-fried something-or-other at least twice a week! (And either
go to a Chinese restaurant, or get take-out, possibly three times
a month.)

I wonder what the Chinese equivalent to an "altar of fire" might be?

Michael Liebmann

Feb 28, 2002, 1:25:01 AM2/28/02
"Ace Lightning" <ace.li...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> I wonder what the Chinese equivalent to an "altar of fire" might be?

Forwarded to a friend who speaks Chinese.

Donald L. Johnson

Feb 28, 2002, 1:30:55 AM2/28/02

----------
In article <3C7D10CD...@alum.mit.edu>, "Joe Kesselman (yclept
Keshlam)" <kes...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>Benjamin Newman wrote:
>> I'd been away from my wok for close on a month
>
>Crossing this with the Purim/60's topics yields:
>
> Hey, man; take a wok on the wild side...
>
>(Or maybe that should be a wok of the wild rice. But there's
>no easy wok to freedom.)
>--

And let's not forget this Aerosmith classic: "Wok This Way"
or the Bangles' "Woking Down Your Street" and "Wok Like An Egyptian"

Donald
Submariner, retired

Ace Lightning

Feb 28, 2002, 2:56:10 AM2/28/02
Michael Liebmann wrote:
>>I wonder what the Chinese equivalent to an "altar of fire" might be?
>Forwarded to a friend who speaks Chinese.

I hope sie gives both literal and metaphorical versions...
Thanks!

Larry Kirby

Feb 28, 2002, 9:08:38 AM2/28/02
In article <a5kioo$dco$1...@suaar1aa.prod.compuserve.com>, "Donald L. Johnson"
<70524...@Compuserve.com> writes:

>And let's not forget this Aerosmith classic: "Wok This Way"
>or the Bangles' "Woking Down Your Street" and "Wok Like An Egyptian"
>
>Donald

"I've Been Wokking on the Railroad" ?

Larry

I finally remembered how to change my sig

Benjamin Newman

Feb 28, 2002, 11:16:04 AM2/28/02
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Ace Lightning wrote:

> >Yep. I'd been away from my wok for close on a month when, just yesterday,
> >this song wrote itself, in less than an hour. I figured my muse was
> >telling me something. So, tonight, beef fried rice -- *very* tasty!
>
> How on earth can you be away from your wok for a *month*? I make
> stir-fried something-or-other at least twice a week! (And either
> go to a Chinese restaurant, or get take-out, possibly three times
> a month.)

Yeah, I don't know how I fell away from the wok for so long. In
retrospect it may only have been two weeks, but still... I get Chinese
takeout three or four times a week, *plus* all weekday lunches.

> I wonder what the Chinese equivalent to an "altar of fire" might be?

As in, the thing you put a wok on? High-heat wok cooking in restaurants
is done on a special kind of high-intensity burner called a "glory hole".
Originally it would have been done over a hot wood fire.

Or did you mean in a ritual sense?

John Creasey

Feb 28, 2002, 7:02:11 PM2/28/02

Larry Kirby <mond...@aol.com> wrote in message

> In article <a5kioo$dco$1...@suaar1aa.prod.compuserve.com>, "Donald L.
Johnson"
> <70524...@Compuserve.com> writes:
>
> >And let's not forget this Aerosmith classic: "Wok This Way"
> >or the Bangles' "Woking Down Your Street" and "Wok Like An Egyptian"

> "I've Been Wokking on the Railroad" ?

"Fats Domino" "Wokking to New Orleans"

John & Mary

Larry Kirby

Feb 28, 2002, 10:39:20 PM2/28/02
In article <7yzf8.8421$j47.3...@twister.socal.rr.com>, "John Creasey"
<jcre...@socal.rr.com> writes:

>"Fats Domino" "Wokking to New Orlean

"Wok Don't Wun" by the Wentures featuring Elmer Fudd.

Aaron Davies

Mar 1, 2002, 1:13:03 AM3/1/02
Larry Kirby <mond...@aol.com> wrote:

> In article <7yzf8.8421$j47.3...@twister.socal.rr.com>, "John Creasey"
> <jcre...@socal.rr.com> writes:
>

> >"Fats Domino" "Wokking to New Orlean
>
> "Wok Don't Wun" by the Wentures featuring Elmer Fudd.

There's a fast-food Chinese chain called "Manchu Wok". I keep waiting
for the punchline--"break teeth".
--
Aaron Davies
aa...@avalon.pascal-central.com

Ace Lightning

Mar 1, 2002, 1:24:40 AM3/1/02
Benjamin Newman wrote:
>>>Yep. I'd been away from my wok for close on a month when, just yesterday,
>>>this song wrote itself, in less than an hour. I figured my muse was
>>>telling me something. So, tonight, beef fried rice -- *very* tasty!
>>How on earth can you be away from your wok for a *month*? I make
>>stir-fried something-or-other at least twice a week! (And either
>>go to a Chinese restaurant, or get take-out, possibly three times
>>a month.)
>Yeah, I don't know how I fell away from the wok for so long. In
>retrospect it may only have been two weeks, but still... I get Chinese
>takeout three or four times a week, *plus* all weekday lunches.

Of course, not all of it is stir-fried... there are all sorts of
delicious things that are grilled, steamed, or deep-fried... ;-)

>>I wonder what the Chinese equivalent to an "altar of fire" might be?
>As in, the thing you put a wok on? High-heat wok cooking in restaurants
>is done on a special kind of high-intensity burner called a "glory hole".

Which is *VERY* hard to duplicate on a home stove!

>Originally it would have been done over a hot wood fire.
>Or did you mean in a ritual sense?

Both, if possible. Thanks.

Rob Wynne

Mar 1, 2002, 8:49:13 AM3/1/02
Larry Kirby <mond...@aol.com> wrote:
>>"Fats Domino" "Wokking to New Orlean
> "Wok Don't Wun" by the Wentures featuring Elmer Fudd.

And who could forget that Johnny Cash classic, "I Wok the Line"?

Or Katrina and the Waves 80s pop hit "Wokking on Sunshine"?

-R
(humming the timeless Bacharach song "Wok On By"...)

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
The best original science-fiction and fantasy on the web:

Arthur Levesque

Mar 1, 2002, 9:27:41 AM3/1/02
>>>"Fats Domino" "Wokking to New Orlean

Larry>"Wok Don't Wun" by the Wentures featuring Elmer Fudd.

Rob>And who could forget that Johnny Cash classic, "I Wok the Line"?
Rob>Or Katrina and the Waves 80s pop hit "Wokking on Sunshine"?
Rob>(humming the timeless Bacharach song "Wok On By"...)

Isn't Aerosmith doing a new theme song for the American version of
the Iron Chef called "Wok This Way"?
--
/\ Arthur M Levesque 2A4W <*> b...@boog.orgy =/\= http://boog.org __
\B\ack King of the Potato People <fnord> "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!" (oO)

David G. Bell

Mar 1, 2002, 2:05:56 PM3/1/02
On 1 Mar, in article
<a5o34t$8tcml$2...@ID-75701.news.dfncis.de>
meist...@boog.org "Arthur Levesque" wrote:

> Larry>"Wok Don't Wun" by the Wentures featuring Elmer Fudd.
>
> Rob>And who could forget that Johnny Cash classic, "I Wok the Line"?
> Rob>Or Katrina and the Waves 80s pop hit "Wokking on Sunshine"?
> Rob>(humming the timeless Bacharach song "Wok On By"...)
>
> Isn't Aerosmith doing a new theme song for the American version of
> the Iron Chef called "Wok This Way"?

There's a Chinese Restaurant in Germany which the original owner
insisted should only open for the winter solstice. The current owners
make a point of never checking the calendar so they can open all year
round. As a result, the place is known as Yul? Nicht wahr. Wok Cologne.

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, and Punslinger.

Mr. Punch's Advice to a Young Man About to Become a Farmer:
"Marry, instead."

filceolaire

Mar 1, 2002, 4:23:15 PM3/1/02
db...@zhochaka.org.uk ("David G. Bell") wrote in
<20020301.19...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>:

>On 1 Mar, in article
> <a5o34t$8tcml$2...@ID-75701.news.dfncis.de>

>> Larry>"Wok Don't Wun" by the Wentures featuring Elmer Fudd.
>>
>> Rob>And who could forget that Johnny Cash classic, "I Wok the
>> Line"? Rob>Or Katrina and the Waves 80s pop hit "Wokking on
>> Sunshine"? Rob>(humming the timeless Bacharach song "Wok On
>> By"...)
>>
>> Isn't Aerosmith doing a new theme song for the American
>> version of
>> the Iron Chef called "Wok This Way"?
>
>There's a Chinese Restaurant in Germany which the original owner
>insisted should only open for the winter solstice. The current
>owners make a point of never checking the calendar so they can
>open all year round. As a result, the place is known as Yul?
>Nicht wahr. Wok Cologne.

Oooohhhh.

That was painful.

Joe

(I'll post a translation tomorrow for those who aren't fans of
Liverpool football)

Larry Kirby

Mar 1, 2002, 5:44:11 PM3/1/02
In article <20020301.19...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>,

db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") writes:

>Yul? Nicht wahr. Wok Cologne.

A tri-lingual pun. I am SO impressed. Does this mean we get to throw
three types of peanuts at you?

Mark Kinney

Mar 1, 2002, 7:37:00 PM3/1/02
"Arthur Levesque" <meist...@boog.org> wrote in message

> Larry>"Wok Don't Wun" by the Wentures featuring Elmer Fudd.
> Rob>And who could forget that Johnny Cash classic, "I Wok the Line"?
> Rob>Or Katrina and the Waves 80s pop hit "Wokking on Sunshine"?
> Rob>(humming the timeless Bacharach song "Wok On By"...)
> Isn't Aerosmith doing a new theme song for the American version of
> the Iron Chef called "Wok This Way"?

Or Nancy Sinatra, on Bamboo theme ingredient night, "These Shoots Were Made
For Wokkin'"

Or the Police could get back together for "Wokking on the Moon."

Mark will stop now before everyone decides "enough of him" and subjects him
to the sounds of the men wokking on the chain gang...

--
albe...@iglou.com | Mark Kinney | http://www.iglou.com/nations
"Plan, v.t. To bother about the best method of accomplishing an accidental

UncleMonty

Mar 1, 2002, 1:42:22 PM3/1/02
You show an ironic skillet this.

Martin DeMello

Mar 2, 2002, 6:47:43 PM3/2/02
Mark Kinney <albe...@iglou.com> wrote:
> "Arthur Levesque" <meist...@boog.org> wrote in message
>> Larry>"Wok Don't Wun" by the Wentures featuring Elmer Fudd.
>> Rob>And who could forget that Johnny Cash classic, "I Wok the Line"?
>> Rob>Or Katrina and the Waves 80s pop hit "Wokking on Sunshine"?
>> Rob>(humming the timeless Bacharach song "Wok On By"...)
>> Isn't Aerosmith doing a new theme song for the American version of
>> the Iron Chef called "Wok This Way"?

> Or Nancy Sinatra, on Bamboo theme ingredient night, "These Shoots Were Made
> For Wokkin'"

> Or the Police could get back together for "Wokking on the Moon."

Or, of course, that timeless classic, "Wok Awound the Clock"

--
Martin DeMello

Terence Chua

Mar 2, 2002, 11:42:46 PM3/2/02
In article <a5roau$9lmd7$1...@ID-121029.news.dfncis.de>,
Martin DeMello <martin...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Mom taught me early
That cooking ain't that girly
Doesn't make you any less a man
(Oo-a Oo-a Oo-a)
My skills are scary
My stir fry's legendary
It's all in the way I twirl my pan

(And she said)
Wok like a man
Chop like a man
Cook like a man, my son
Your julianne's the fastest in the land
So wok like a man my son

A man ain't un-macho
Just 'cuz he serves gazpacho
As long as it isn't from a can
(Oo-a Oo-a Oo-a)
Come view my kitchen
My demi-glace is bitchin
One taste and you'll be a raving fan

(And Ma said)
Wok like a man
Chop like a man
Cook like a man my son
You'll be so fly, the Iron Chefs will cry
So wok like a man my son

--
Terence Chua kh...@tim.org
WWW: http://www.khaosworks.org

bi...@bsutton.com

Mar 3, 2002, 12:56:04 PM3/3/02
Terence Chua <kh...@tim.org> wrote:

:>(And she said)

:>Wok like a man
:>Chop like a man
:>Cook like a man, my son
:>Your julianne's the fastest in the land
:>So wok like a man my son

Sung by Frankie Chili and the Four Seasonings, of course, along with other
classics like:

Iron Chef ("I-i-i-i-iron Chef, Ba-a-by")
Prawns (Go away, you're no good for me)
I've Cooked You Without the Skin (the low-fat song)

and many more ...

Not available in stores, only in this amazing r.m.f. offer!

Bill

--
Bill Sutton | Posting by and for myself alone
GAFilk 2003 | "'Tis said the newsgroup is a fine and private place

Larry Kirby

Mar 3, 2002, 3:46:12 PM3/3/02
In article <khaos-B03010....@news.newsguy.com>, Terence Chua
<kh...@tim.org> writes:

>Wok like a man
>Chop like a man
>Cook like a man, my son

I bow to the superior lyricist

Terence Chua

Mar 3, 2002, 6:37:27 PM3/3/02
In article <20020303154612...@mb-cc.aol.com>,
mond...@aol.com (Larry Kirby) wrote:

>In article <khaos-B03010....@news.newsguy.com>, Terence Chua
><kh...@tim.org> writes:
>
>>Wok like a man
>>Chop like a man
>>Cook like a man, my son
>
> I bow to the superior lyricist

The full horror (with additional chorus and verse) is on display at
http://www.khaosworks.org/filk/wok.html

Martin DeMello

Mar 3, 2002, 10:48:26 PM3/3/02
Terence Chua <kh...@tim.org> wrote:
<...>

> So wok like a man my son

Good one!

--
Martin DeMello

Seamus

Mar 3, 2002, 3:45:49 PM3/3/02
joe.r...@NOSPAMbtinternet.com (filceolaire) wrote in
<91C4D44ADjoera...@217.32.252.50>:

It is, of course that famous footclub anthem 'You'll never walk
alone'.

David J. Aronson

Mar 4, 2002, 9:34:39 AM3/4/02
"Donald L. Johnson" wrote:

> In article <3C7D10CD...@alum.mit.edu>, "Joe Kesselman (yclept
> Keshlam)" <kes...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> > Hey, man; take a wok on the wild side...
> >
> >(Or maybe that should be a wok of the wild rice. But there's
> >no easy wok to freedom.)
> >--
>
> And let's not forget this Aerosmith classic: "Wok This Way"
> or the Bangles' "Woking Down Your Street" and "Wok Like An Egyptian"

One particularly degenerate thread in the old MENSA Echo eventually
yielded, "Wokking in my wicker underwear". That was the official
TIDMADT/AirNSun origin line for that echo from then on....

Then of course there's the soundtrack of Pac-Man. See subject.

--
David J. Aronson, Software Engineer FOR HIRE IN PHILADELPHIA AREA
Resume, and other details, online at: http://dja2001.home.att.net

Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam)

Mar 4, 2002, 12:19:38 PM3/4/02
"David J. Aronson" wrote:
> "Wokking in my wicker underwear".

... proving, I suppose, that there's no rest for the
wickered. Did they ever compose complete lyrics?

Joe Kesselman, http://www.lovesong.com/people/keshlam/
Opinions expressed are solely those of a random number
generator

Arthur Levesque

Mar 4, 2002, 12:37:07 PM3/4/02
David J. Aronson>"Wokking in my wicker underwear"

Joe Kesselman yclept Keshlam (kes...@alum.mit.edu) wrote:
JK>... proving, I suppose, that there's no rest for the wickered. Did
JK>they ever compose complete lyrics?

If not, get them good and wickered up on cheap booze and make them
compwete it...

David J. Aronson

Mar 4, 2002, 1:10:15 PM3/4/02
"Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam)" wrote:

> "David J. Aronson" wrote:
> > "Wokking in my wicker underwear".
>
> ... proving, I suppose, that there's no rest for the
> wickered. Did they ever compose complete lyrics?

Come to think of it, yes, I think someone did. I'll see if I can get
hold of anybody who knows who, or maybe even what....

Mary Creasey

Mar 5, 2002, 1:11:20 AM3/5/02

Martin DeMello <martin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

"Wokking My Cat Named 'Dog'"? [forget who did the original]
(I think the Cat would object mightily...)

Mary

Sandy Tyra

Mar 5, 2002, 7:10:28 PM3/5/02
I love it, Terrence!

Sandy

Wesley Struebing

Mar 5, 2002, 8:18:34 PM3/5/02

Who can forget Neil Diamond's classic, "Wok on Water"? I think he
wrote it for Emeril...
--
Some work of noble note, may yet be done - Tennyson's "Ulysses"

Wes Struebing
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
str...@americanisp.com
ph: 303-343-9006
home page: http://silicon.americanisp.net/~struebing/

Daniel R. Reitman

Mar 6, 2002, 2:24:03 AM3/6/02
Then there's Richard Thompson's ode to blue collar cooks: "Wokking in
a Wasted Land."

Dan, ad nauseam

David G. Bell

Mar 6, 2002, 6:59:15 AM3/6/02
On Wednesday, in article
<3c85c3da...@news.spiritone.com> drei...@spiritone.com
"Daniel R. Reitman" wrote:

You know how Microsoft include a "tour of windows" option during the
install process. For Windows XP it was going to be tied in with the
Internet access, and use a lot of Microsoft's web pages. They
discovered that one of the programmers had been bribed by a chain of
Chinese Restaurants, to "accidentally" mis-spell an msn.com URL to a
msg.com URL that would extol the virtues of MSG in oriental cooking.

Not many people know that there was a wokking in a Win-tour blunder
planned.

Larry Kirby

Mar 6, 2002, 5:15:09 PM3/6/02
In article <20020306.11...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>,

db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") writes:

>wokking in a Win-tour blunder
>planned.

Have this man flogged.

Wesley Struebing

Mar 6, 2002, 8:17:28 PM3/6/02
On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 11:59:15 +0000 (GMT), db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk
("David G. Bell") wrote:

<snip>

>You know how Microsoft include a "tour of windows" option during the
>install process. For Windows XP it was going to be tied in with the
>Internet access, and use a lot of Microsoft's web pages. They
>discovered that one of the programmers had been bribed by a chain of
>Chinese Restaurants, to "accidentally" mis-spell an msn.com URL to a
>msg.com URL that would extol the virtues of MSG in oriental cooking.
>
>Not many people know that there was a wokking in a Win-tour blunder
>planned.

That ...was obscene! (Thank you!) >splort<

keith lim

Mar 7, 2002, 1:19:02 AM3/7/02
Wesley Struebing <str...@americanisp.com> wrote:

[massive accumulation of quoted "wok" puns snipped]

> Who can forget Neil Diamond's classic, "Wok on Water"? I think he
> wrote it for Emeril...

Wok On The Fire

I light a fire and it pleases me.
It burns so bright and hot and dry.
Time for a meal,
I chop and slice and peel,
Preparing to stir-fry.

Now through the smoke see coals aglow.
This style of cooking needs a flame.
Natural high heat, and fry-time short and sweet,
A stove's just not the same.

So put the wok on the fire
Add meat then veg in turn.
In that wok on the fire
Don't let them burn.

(tune: "Walk Through The Fire",
from _Buffy the Vampire Slayer_,
"Once More, With Feeling" [musical episode])

--
keith lim keit...@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~keithlim/

Seamus

Mar 7, 2002, 5:35:57 PM3/7/02
keit...@pobox.com (keith lim) wrote in
<1f8n8g6.qup8wx5wt3bbN%keit...@pobox.com>:

>Wesley Struebing <str...@americanisp.com> wrote:

............great song snipped - Why'd I do that?

>(tune: "Walk Through The Fire",
>from _Buffy the Vampire Slayer_,
>"Once More, With Feeling" [musical episode])

'Bout time that show got filked.

I saw Phil Allcock today but he still hasn't written any verses to
the bunny song - mind you it's only been out here a few weeks.

Anyone else got a verse for this?

Joe

Daniel R. Reitman

Mar 8, 2002, 12:52:58 AM3/8/02