New Album: Spontaneous Order

Gary McGath

Sep 19, 2022, 6:47:52 PM9/19/22
A new album of my keyboard improvisations, "Spontaneous Order," is up on
Bandcamp.

https://garymcgath.bandcamp.com/album/spontaneous-order

You can pay what you like, down to and including nothing, but I'm
offering an incentive to throw some money at it.

First: The net receipts for Spontaneous Order (i.e., the amount they pay
me) for the month of September will go to Doctors Without Borders.

Second: I'll donate an amount equal to the net receipts from any of my
Bandcamp albums (including The Road to Freedom and The Magic Battery)
for September 16-30 to Martha's Vineyard Community Services, to a
maximum of $250. Without getting political, I'll just say they recently
got an unexpected influx of refugees, and MV Community Services seems to
be best placed to deal with it.

Yes, that means that the more I sell, the more money I lose. It's
basically a fun way to support those charities. If you like the music,
so much the better.

Here's the description of the album:

I like to improvise at the keyboard. This album consists of some
improvisations in various moods and styles, forming a loose suite.

All net receipts on this album from Bandcamp in September 2022 will go
to Doctors Without Borders.

When starting an improvisation, I come up with a couple of motifs. As I
go along, I transform them in different ways and alternate them with
other material. The result is often a loose A-B-A form.

Each track was recorded in one take. Editing consisted of noise removal,
level adjustment, and ambience. "One take" doesn't mean "first take";
with most of them, it took several tries to get a satisfactory recording.

Improvising a piece this way inevitably means some notes get in which
I'm not quite satisfied with. My imagination has a glitch, or I just hit
the wrong key. I just say "I meant to do that."

--
Gary McGath ga...@mcgath.com

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com