Re: "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."

Will Dockery

Jul 21, 2018, 4:59:48 PM7/21/18
Stuart Leichter wrote:
> In article <MPG.19f407897...@news.east.earthlink.net>,
> of...@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > bun...@bunghole.com wrote:
> > >2) Why this pathetic need to give songwriters respectability by
> > >classifying
> > >them as poets? Why can't you just let them exist on their own terms,
> > >as
> > >singer-songwriters?
>
> For one thing, it was the only way to get the good pop and folk
> songwriters past the school curriculum police. Textbook publishers were
> helpful. There are analogies as well, including movies and jazz, and their
> cultural triumphs. I'm surprised that "respectability" is still an issue
> 30-some years later.
>
> Good exchange, guys.

Bingo.

Stuart Leichter nailed it many times more often than not.

> [...]
> > >all the
> > >cachet that implies.
> >
> > To me, all art attempts to describe or envision reality through a
> > stylistic language of gestures. Poetry's gestural vocabulary is usually
> > so arcane to modern readers that it ends up being an acquired taste.
> > Many obscure songwriters with equally obscure and obtuse references
> > remain cultish precisely because they are acquired tastes demanding
> > relistening and reinterpretation. Many ancient poets understood the
> > distinctions between ornate poetry and simpler song. For one, song is
> > intended to have its language digested upon the first listening, even if
> > the listener thinks about possible interpretations of metaphors and/or
> > symbolism afterwards.
> >
> > >Idleness, because if poetry is the form that songwriting secretly
> > >aspires
> > >to, why don't they go and try to find out about the best poetry?
> > >Because
> > >they can't be bothered; the best poetry takes too much effort to read
> > >and
> > >understand. For all their relativistic bleating about self-expression,
> > >they
> > >have a vague feeling, an instinct that there's a scale of values in all
> > >art
> > >forms, but their only solution to that is to see pop music as poetry,
> > >but
> > >they're unwilling to actually explore that proposition.
> >
> > I think the proposition was indeed explored in that piece. Dylan and
> > Cohen aren't typical songwriters; they're lyrical self expressionists,
> > far more complex than the courtly troubadours who may have inspired
> > them. They are, in a sense, pretentious because they ostensibly sought
> > to be poets but never published poetry before setting it to music.
> >
> > >There's a good reason why pop music isn't poetry. It's too far from
> > >the
> > >Apollonian and too close to the Dionysian. Its mimesis takes place at
> > >that
> > >end of the scale where jouissance is found. It appeals to the heart far
> > >more
> > >than it appeals to the brain. Poetry, even oral poetry, tries to
> > >balance
> > >its appeals; pop music doesn't bother.
> >
> > I think Suzanne Vega, Randy Newman, Jonatha Brooke, Ani Difranco, David
> > Wilcox, Dar Williams and Jeff Buckley bothered.
> >
> > >All of which seems to suggest that poetry must be better than pop
> > >music.
> > >But that's something I don't agree with. Pop music is different from
> > >poetry.
> >
> > Absolutely. But I think there is popular and classical poetry, just as
> > there are popular and classical musics in many cultures. The
> > differences between them tend to be obvious. The popular is simpler,
> > less elegant, refined and indirect than the classical because its
> > communicative intend has to be more literal.

Good points, all... and good reading...

Will Dockery

Jul 24, 2018, 1:48:48 PM7/24/18
Here you go Corey...

Read up, there will be a quiz later.

:)

Will Dockery

Jul 24, 2018, 2:40:15 PM7/24/18
"Michael Pendragon" wrote in message

On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 8:05:07 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Michael Pendragon wrote:
> >
> > IOW: You've been pulling this "Fuck poetry -- let's all talk about Bob
> > Dylan, Patti Smith, Lenny Cohen" shit for decades.
>
> We can leave Dylan out for now, since you prefer it, but both Smith and
> Cohen were poets, published poets, long before they became involved with
> music:
>
> https://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Patti_Smith
>
> "Patricia Lee "Patti" Smith (born December 30, 1946)[1] is an American
> poet, singer-songwriter, and visual artist..."
>
> https://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Leonard_Cohen
>
> "Leonard Norman Cohen, CC, GOQ (September 21, 1934 - November 7, 2016) was
> a Canadian poet, singer-songwriter, musician, and novelist. His work often
> explores religion, isolation, sexuality and interpersonal
> relationships..."
>
> > I'm with Stuart on this one. Folk rock and poetry are entirely
> > different categories. You and your friends seem to think that excluding
> > folkies from the title of "poet" constitutes some sort of negative,
> > qualitative judgement. It is nothing of the sort. Bob Dylan is a
> > highly influential folkie. He's not a good poet. He's not a bad poet.
> > He's not a poet at all.
>
> Everywhere but you says Dylan is a poet:
>
> https://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Bob_Dylan
>
> "Bob Dylan (born May 24, 1941) is an American poet, singer-songwriter,
> musician, and painter..."

Rule of Thumb:

If a song lyric can stand on its own, it's poetry.

If it can be sung in a nasally voice, it's a folk song.

You're an English expert, Michael...

Do you know why the phrase "rule of thumb" is offensive to a great number of
people?

Earl Browder

Jul 24, 2018, 4:27:56 PM7/24/18
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-04-17/news/1998107056_1_rule-of-thumb-phrase-rule-false-etymology

The misunderstood 'rule of thumb'
Misconception: Many feminists for years thought the phrase "rule of thumb" referred to British common law's tolerance of wife-beating.
Sun Journal, April 17, 1998|By Stephanie Shapiro | Stephanie Shapiro,SUN STAFF

Sharon Fenick first heard the figure of speech "rule of thumb" cited as a sexist pejorative during her freshman year at Harvard seven years ago.

The phrase was invoked in a lecture as an example of domestic abuse permitted by British common law. The rule of thumb, according to the professor, was a law that allowed a man to beat his wife so long as the rod used was no thicker than his thumb. But over the centuries, the term had evolved into vernacular for an "approximate measure."

"It sounded very believable to me," says the 24-year-old Fenick, now in her third year of law school at the University of Chicago. "I was having my first contact with feminist thought and [the explanation] was very impressive to me. It was one of those things I really remember that spread around. I can't remember when I found out it wasn't true."

Unlike Fenick, untold historians, feminists and legal experts are unaware that the folk etymology for "rule of thumb" is false. For them, the notion of a "rule of thumb" makes perfect sense, originating as it allegedly does from a legal system they see as misogynistic.

In January, wordsmith William Safire debunked "the rule of thumb's" false etymology in his New York Times Magazine column. The phrase had been called to his attention by the president of George Washington University, where a female student had denounced its use by an administrator remarking on budget problems in the student newspaper.

In gender- and women's-studies courses across the country, the phrase is still cited as an example of unconscious acceptance and tacit condoning of sexist policy. A computer search for the use of "rule of thumb" and "wife" in the same newspaper sentence reveals many letters to the editor in recent years from women irate about the casual appearance of the figure of speech in news articles. In a televised news analysis about domestic violence in 1994, even commentator Cokie Roberts noted the misconception.

The false etymology persists despite the Oxford English Dictionary definition: "A method or procedure derived entirely from practice or experience, without any basis in scientific knowledge; a roughly practical method." The OED dates the phrase's first reference to 1692.

In the Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins, "rule of thumb" is additionally defined as a method by which brewers once tested the temperature of a batch of beer: They dipped a thumb in the brew.

During her first year of law school, Fenick, a wordsmith herself, was determined to unravel the history of the "rule of thumb." Did the phrase stem from a specific rule? Was there such a rule? Even if there wasn't a rule, did an infamous judge's ruling establish "thumbstick" guidelines for would-be wife beaters?

She discovered that while "rule of thumb" was not accepted law, there was evidence aplenty that the British legal system and the American legal system it inspired were unkind to women. "I found out that in the 1800s [wife beating] really was a debatable proposition," she says.

Wife beating is acknowledged in Blackstone's "Commentaries," and many court rulings sanctioned the practice. But whether the "rule of thumb" was accepted as law was a separate matter.

Fenick traced the earliest possible reference to the 17th century, when one Dr. Marmaduke Coghill, an Irish judge, held that a man who had beaten his wife "with such a switch as the one he held in his hand" was within his matrimonial privilege.

In the 18th century a judge named Francis Buller, dubbed "Judge Thumb" by the famous caricaturist James Gillray, was said to have allowed that a man could beat his wife, as long as the punitive stick was no thicker than his thumb. (A witty countess was said to have asked the judge to measure her husband's thumb exactly, so that she might know the precise extent of his privilege.)

Fenick also found three 19th-century cases in America that mention the "rule of thumb," including an 1868 ruling in North Carolina that "the defendant had a right to whip his wife with a switch no larger than his thumb."

Buller's "thumbstick" opinion and the three American rulings Fenick found were intriguing -- and damning -- but did not constitute definitive proof that the rule of thumb was derived from British common law.

As Fenick, encouraged by a law professor, considered publishing her findings, she found that Henry Ansgar Kelly, a University of California English professor, had beaten her to the punch. His "Rule of Thumb and the Folklaw of the Husband's Stick" appeared in the September 1994 Journal of Legal Education.

Kelly, much to Fenick's disappointment, had covered the same territory as she. (Although she proudly observes that his article overlooked the earliest reference to "rule of thumb" by Coghill.) Three and half years later, Safire would rely entirely on Kelly's article to make his case in his column.

Fenick's efforts were not in vain, however. In response to a query from a correspondent to the alt.folkore.urban newsgroup linked to the Urban Legends Web site, Fenick posted her article where it is now part of the site's permanent archives. Since its inception, the site has expanded its mission from probing the genesis and spread of urban legends to "confirming or disproving beliefs and facts of all kinds, including origin of vernacular."

"Rule of thumb" and other figures of speech can work much the same way that urban legends do: They may appear mysteriously, spread spontaneously and contain elements of humor or horror. And, like urban legends, a figure of speech may contain a grain of emotional, if not actual, truth.

Thus it was easy at first for Fenick and others to believe that the "rule of thumb" was founded in common law. Patricia A. Turner, a University of California at Davis folklorist, well understands how a falsehood can acquire the mantle of truth.

In "I Heard it Through the Grapevine: Rumor in African-American Culture," Turner examines the way allegations of forced birth control, corporate collusion with the Ku Klux Klan, drug distribution targeted at urban areas and other anti-black conspiracy theories circulating in the African-American community are based on racist realities and serve as a form of resistance against white oppression.

The same theory can be applied to the rule of thumb, Turner says. A text may be proved to be inaccurate or false, but "if it reflects some deeper truth in society, it doesn't go away." The term "rule of thumb" may "not have that specific etymological origin, but men have dominated women in workplaces and in homes and in virtually every setting. It speaks to a deeper truth."

Students of women's history who want to research possibly apocryphal ideas are also at a disadvantage because they "don't have the paper trail that more mainstream areas of academic discipline have," Turner says. "Sometimes it's more difficult to get to the bottom of something."

That said, Turner acknowledges that it is "very sloppy for an academic to pass on misinformation." Once a theory such as the inaccurate history of the "rule of thumb" has been debunked, it can backfire on those promoting it, she says. "If someone has read it who knows it is false, everything gets discredited on that level. So based on one falsehood, a whole history can be challenged."

That is what concerned scholars and social critics say happened when Christina Hoff Sommers debunked the "rule of thumb" in her 1994 book, "Who Stole Feminism? How Women have Betrayed Women." Sommers finds the earliest misuse of the phrase in a 1976 National Organization for Women report and uses it to bolster her case against domestic-violence statistics.

The feminist rush to brandish the "rule of thumb" as justification for their crusade, Turner suggests, may inadvertently have provided Sommers and her sympathizers with the ideal ammunition to discredit the same cause.

As for Fenick, she received a nice letter from Kelly, who learned RTC of her research after the Safire piece ran. She has written him back, and hopes to hear soon what he thinks about her Coghill reference.

Pub Date: 4/17/98

nate

Jul 24, 2018, 6:34:16 PM7/24/18
On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 4:27:56 PM UTC-4, Earl Browder wrote:

> The phrase was invoked in a lecture as an example of domestic abuse permitted by British common law. The rule of thumb, according to the professor, was a law that allowed a man to beat his wife so long as the rod used was no thicker than his thumb. But over the centuries, the term had evolved into vernacular for an "approximate measure."

And then we have Mick Jagger's "Under my thumb"...hmmm.

- nate

Will Dockery

Jul 27, 2018, 2:42:47 AM7/27/18
> Do you know that was all just a hoax?

No, was it on Scopes?

Will Dockery

Jul 27, 2018, 9:58:27 AM7/27/18
"nate" wrote in message
Great song, but my, my, such childish spit Mick had in his youth...

Will Dockery

Jul 27, 2018, 10:14:06 AM7/27/18
"Earl Browder" wrote in message

Fascinating read, thanks, Earl.

Will Dockery

Jul 27, 2018, 11:42:13 AM7/27/18
>On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 11:28:58 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Stuart Leichter wrote:
> > In article <MPG.19f407897...@news.east.earthlink.net>,
> > of...@earthlink.net wrote:

> > For one thing, it was the only way to get the good pop and folk
> > songwriters past the school curriculum police. Textbook publishers were
> > helpful. There are analogies as well, including movies and jazz, and
> > their
> > cultural triumphs. I'm surprised that "respectability" is still an issue
> > 30-some years later.
>
> The more things change...
>
> > Good exchange, guys.
IOW: You've been pulling this "Fuck poetry -- let's all talk about Bob
Dylan, Patti Smith, Lenny Cohen" shit for decades.

I'm with Stuart on this one. Folk rock and poetry are entirely different
categories. You and your friends seem to think that excluding folkies from
the title of "poet" constitutes some sort of negative, qualitative
judgement. It is nothing of the sort. Bob Dylan is a highly influential
folkie. He's not a good poet. He's not a bad poet. He's not a poet at all.
He's also not a ballet dancer, but for some reason my denying him the title
of "ballerina" doesn't seem to bother you.

If you admire folkies, that's fine. Go on over to the folkie groups and
sing their praises till the cows come home. But if you'r going to post in a
*poetry* group, it would be nice (not to mention courteous) if you would
limit your topics of discussion to poetry.

Thing is, poets like Leonard Cohen and, tes, Bob Dylan, fuse poetry and folk
song... ask around, I'm not the first to note this.
'
':)

Will Dockery

Nov 2, 2018, 1:12:16 PM11/2/18
"nate" wrote in message
> [...]

Yes, a great song, but obviously heavily shaded with with a sort of jovial
misogyny...

Will Dockery

Nov 23, 2018, 7:33:19 PM11/23/18
"nate" wrote in message
> [...]
Yes, and with a poet, Michael Pendragon, recently revealing himself as a
misogynist on the poetry groups recently, a timely topic.

Cujo DeSockpuppet

Nov 23, 2018, 7:35:50 PM11/23/18
"Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> wrote in
Yes, and with a douchebag, abusing commas, jealous that some can compose,
and explain, poetry.

How did you manage to sleep through so many English classes?

"I am the only HOPE of the astrological community." - Edmo misspells the
word "dope" again.

Will Dockery

Nov 23, 2018, 7:42:12 PM11/23/18

http://www.debunker.com/texts/ruleofthumb.html

> Moron

Says the misogynist.

:)

Will Dockery

Jan 27, 2019, 10:23:00 PM1/27/19
"Cujo DeSockpuppet" wrote in message

"Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> wrote in

> "nate" wrote in message
>> On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 4:27:56 PM UTC-4, Earl Browder wrote:
>>
>>> The phrase was invoked in a lecture as an example of domestic abuse
>>> permitted by British common law. The rule of thumb, according to the
>>> professor, was a law that allowed a man to beat his wife so long as
>>> the rod used was no thicker than his thumb. But over the centuries,
>>> the term had evolved into vernacular for an "approximate measure."
>>
>> And then we have Mick Jagger's "Under my thumb"...hmmm.
>> - nate
>
> > Yes, and with a poet, Michael Pendragon, recently revealing himself as
> > a misogynist on the poetry groups recently, a timely topic.
>
> Yes

For once we agree.

Will Dockery

Jan 27, 2019, 10:24:20 PM1/27/19
"Earl Browder" wrote in message

Interesting heads up, Earl, thanks.

Cujo DeSockpuppet

Jan 28, 2019, 10:28:34 PM1/28/19
"Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> wrote in
(I fixed the text you accidentally deleted below. You're welcome,
douchebag!)

>> Yes, and with a douchebag, talentless, abusing commas, jealous that
>> some can compose, and explain, poetry.
>>
>> How did you manage to sleep through so many English classes?
>
> For once we agree.

We sure do. Why are you so fucking stupid?

"... George Clooney, Cher and Jimmy Stewart--Three well known
politicians who were assassinated." - Edmo really loses it.

General Zod

Feb 8, 2019, 10:54:44 PM2/8/19
Outstanding.............

Will Dockery

Feb 15, 2019, 1:42:05 PM2/15/19
"Brainiac 5" wrote in message

> [...]
> Especially here in this song it is self-indulgence which betrays the
> indi- vidual away from the difficulties of one's own fulfillment and
> into the easy chains of conformity.
>

> Where are you Judy, where are you Ann
> Where are all the paths all your heroes came
> Wondering out loud as the bandage pulls away
> Was I only limping or
> Was I really lame;
> O here, come over here
> Between the windmill and the grain
> Between the traitor and her pain
> Between the sundial and the plain
> Between the newsreel and your tiny pain
> Between the snowmen and the rain
> Once again and again
> Love tries to call you by your name.
>
> The world that Cohen perceives in his songs is consistently
> materialistic, sordid, and corrupting. Saints become lechers, lovers
> become masochists, Cadillacs spread poison gas. Love can become "some
> dust in an old man's cuff" ("Master Song"). Priests can trample the
> grass of the shrines which they sene ("Priests"). God himself says to
> man:
>

> Sometimes I need you naked
> Sometimes I need you wild
> I need you to carry my children in
> I need you to kill a child.
>
> ("You Know Who I Am")
>
> Cohen shows man in this world clinging to whatever solace the moment
> offers. The cowardly grasp one thing forever; the bolder move from
> narcotic to narcotic, from woman to woman. And in "The Old Revolution"
> Cohen shows everyone surrendering to this "furnace" that is life.
>

> You who are broken by power
> You who are absent all day
> You who are kings for the sake of your children's story
> The hand of your beggar is burdened down with money
> The hand of your lover is clay
> Into this furnace I ask you now to venture
> You whom I cannot betray.
>
> Cohen's is indeed a black world, illumined only by random loves, the
> mystery of Suzanne, and the harsh light of the existential furnace.
> Cohen has elsewhere been termed a "black romantic"-one who accepts the
> evil and sordidness of this world and seeks revelation through
> immersion in these. Such an interpretation of his work is certainly
> supported by his songs. Dylan can be similarly interpreted,
> particularly in view of his materialism's self-destruction, in such
> songs as "A Hard Rain," as a gateway to Eden. Neither is an activist;
> neither believes that utopia can be achieved through human action. And
> both are thoroughly disinterested in purveying the old and simplistic
> romantic lies whch so many of today's pop artists Donovan, the Bee
> Gees, the Fifth Dimension, the Association consistently peddle. Both
> instead try to do the poet's job present the world as the world
> appears in the words and images which their separate visions demand.
>
> Frank Davey, in Alphabet No. 17, December 1969

> Leonard Cohen was a poet of great magnitude up near my way, Bill and Susie

Agreed on all counts there, Zod.

Will Dockery

Jul 17, 2019, 3:14:42 AM7/17/19
"Earl Browder" wrote in message

Found in my drafts file, worth archiving.

Will Dockery

Jul 29, 2019, 8:38:19 PM7/29/19
Exactly, as does the lyrics of Dylan and Cohen.

Will Dockery

Jul 30, 2019, 9:42:57 AM7/30/19
"Michael Pendragon" wrote in message

> If it can be sung in a nasally voice, it's a folk song.

If it is sickly sweet and sappy... it is probably a Pat Boone song.

:)

W.Dockery

Jul 27, 2022, 5:30:38 PM7/27/22
"Earl Browder" wrote in message

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> "Michael Pendragon" wrote in message
>>
>> Will Dockery wrote:

>> > We can leave Dylan out for now, since you prefer it, but both Smith and
>> > Cohen were poets, published poets, long before they became involved with
>> > music:

So, Michael Pendragon and his ignorance about Leonard Cohen is long standing, one error of his that seems as uncorrectable as Jim Senetto and his apostrophe disability.

And so it goes.

W-Dockery

Jul 28, 2022, 7:50:18 AM7/28/22
"Michael Pendragon" wrote in message

>> If it can be sung in a nasally voice, it's a folk song.

Like I've said before, if it is sickly sweet and sappy... it is probably a Pat Boone song.

HTH and HAND.

🙂

General-Zod

Jul 28, 2022, 6:25:15 PM7/28/22
I am not too big of a fan of Pat Boone...!

My drawing of Bob Dylan and Allen Ginsberg...

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159616377009363&set=g.629438503762910

W.Dockery

Jul 29, 2022, 6:50:59 PM7/29/22
I do kind of love Pat Boone's cover of John Stewart:

https://youtu.be/XSpj3l-_MQY

W.Dockery

Aug 1, 2022, 3:55:16 AM8/1/22
"Michael Pendragon" wrote in message
> Will Dockery wrote:
>
>> We can leave Dylan out for now, since you prefer it, but both Smith and
>> Cohen were poets, published poets, long before they became involved with
>> music:
>>
>> https://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Patti_Smith
>>
>> "Patricia Lee "Patti" Smith (born December 30, 1946)[1] is an American
>> poet, singer-songwriter, and visual artist..."
>>
>> https://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Leonard_Cohen
>>
>> "Leonard Norman Cohen, CC, GOQ (September 21, 1934 - November 7, 2016) was
>> a Canadian poet, singer-songwriter, musician, and novelist. His work often
>> explores religion, isolation, sexuality and interpersonal
>> relationships..."
>>
>> > Bob Dylan is a
>> > highly influential folkie
>>
>> Everywhere but you says Dylan is a poet:
>
> https://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Bob_Dylan
>>
>> "Bob Dylan (born May 24, 1941) is an American poet, singer-songwriter,
>> musician, and painter..."
>
> Rule of Thumb:
>
> If a song lyric can stand on its own, it's poetry

That's true, as do the lyrics of Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen, to name two obvious examples.

HTH and HAND.

Victor H.

Aug 3, 2022, 7:20:59 PM8/3/22
Yes that is classic....

Zod

Aug 5, 2022, 3:17:08 PM8/5/22
Quite an interesting think piece....

W-Dockery

Aug 6, 2022, 9:09:43 AM8/6/22
Pat Boone was approved by Uncle Jed and Granny, how could he fail?

W-Dockery

Aug 7, 2022, 4:53:07 PM8/7/22
Good afternoon, agreed.

Victor H.

Aug 10, 2022, 5:50:18 PM8/10/22
W.Dockery wrote:

> "Earl Browder" wrote in message

>> Will Dockery wrote:
>>> "Michael Pendragon" wrote in message

> So, Michael Pendragon and his ignorance about Leonard Cohen is long standing, one error of his that seems as uncorrectable as Jim Senetto and his apostrophe disability.

I still haven't looked up Pat Boone's 1975 hit record...

W-Dockery

Aug 12, 2022, 6:50:14 AM8/12/22
Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> "Earl Browder" wrote in message

>> So, Michael Pendragon and his ignorance about Leonard Cohen is long standing, one error of his that seems as uncorrectable as Jim Senetto and his apostrophe disability.

> I still haven't looked up Pat Boone's 1975 hit record...

"Indiana Girl", a pretty good song, actually.

General-Zod

Aug 14, 2022, 5:13:23 PM8/14/22
Again, excellent read....

W-Dockery

Aug 16, 2022, 12:05:14 PM8/16/22
Agreed.

General-Zod

Aug 30, 2022, 9:50:27 PM8/30/22
W.Dockery wrote:

> "Earl Browder" wrote in message

>> Will Dockery wrote:
>>> "Michael Pendragon" wrote in message

> So, Michael Pendragon and his ignorance about Leonard Cohen is long standing, one error of his that seems as uncorrectable as Jim Senetto and his apostrophe disability.

A shame Pen has to be so blatant in his insincerity.....
>> Found in my drafts file, worth archiving.

Rocky Stoneberg

Oct 3, 2022, 7:29:57 PM10/3/22
Pat Boone is pretty dismal listening, usually... but...

I love this one from P.B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSpj3l-_MQY

W-Dockery

Oct 30, 2022, 3:13:59 AM10/30/22
Agreed, even a putrid vocalist like Pat Boone can accidentally record a good song occasionally.

🙂

General-Zod

Dec 7, 2023, 5:15:18 PM12/7/23
Exactly, and a fusion of poetry and song therefore....