has anybody....

Rachel

Mar 29, 2022, 8:45:00 PM3/29/22
ever used dylan lyrics to help inspire them to diet...?

i was just craving ice cream, and i found myself thinking, "for pleasure you now must resist." (actually, i put the now before you, but whatever)

i thought that might be an interesting topic.

anybody else ever use dylan lyrics to help guide them through some kind of life process? and if so, what were they?

Rachel

Mar 29, 2022, 9:25:33 PM3/29/22
oops it's must now, i missed a spot. oh, just never mind.

Will Dockery

Mar 30, 2022, 3:49:12 AM3/30/22
"Although the masters make the rules for the wise men and the fools, I got nothing, Ma, to live up to." -Bob Dylan

Just Walkin'

Mar 30, 2022, 10:55:16 PM3/30/22
Just for you Rachel:

Food
https://youtu.be/MFdixBQDGLI

Zod

Apr 1, 2022, 10:30:32 AM4/1/22
Don't diet. Your tits will shrink.

Rachel

Apr 1, 2022, 11:34:51 AM4/1/22
well, interestingly enough, they are the always the last thing to go....

Rachel

Apr 1, 2022, 11:35:29 AM4/1/22

Zod

Apr 1, 2022, 3:52:11 PM4/1/22
On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 8:45:00 PM UTC-4, Rachel wrote:

Hi Rachel so many I can hardly begin.....

Just Kidding

Apr 2, 2022, 2:07:09 PM4/2/22
Everybody must get stoned.

Rachel

Apr 17, 2022, 11:48:08 AM4/17/22
doesn't that give you the munchies???

Rachel

Apr 17, 2022, 12:15:45 PM4/17/22
actually i never thought that was about getting stoned, someone else in college said it, which i thought sorta dumbed it down significantly. i guess i forgot...(bad influences....like "like..." which my mother always hated, called it a crutch, picked up at the public school...along with dude and dudette, etc...learned of things like frank zappa named his son and daughter dweezil and moon unit respectively, which was enough to get a flavor just through word of mouth, and hear about california valley girl talk like gag me with a spoon, etc...)

how did you mean it? stone you at the breakfast table? emotional murder? kill the id? self-restraint? saying no causes more light? what do you mean?

oh, wait. inspired to diet cuz you would get stoned, and got the munchies, put on the pounds, then realized, this isn't working, i have to go on a diet? sort of, it was the cause, and the actualization of the pounds made you self-aware that you had to lose weight?

i was watching jewish tv yesterday for pesach and a young woman said "actualize the torah" sadly i forget the context. i thought that was interesting.

i tried egg (and onion) matzah for the first time this year. it's deliiiiiishus!!!! and this yehuda gluten free matzah is thin, and it's also the tastiest regular matzah i've ever had, it's hard to believe it's legit, it's so tasty, i couldn't help it, i broke them both out, and ate half a box of each one, the yehuda one with thin slices of jarlsberg. didn't even need butter or anything. they're chewy.

General Zod

Apr 18, 2022, 4:14:40 PM4/18/22
Good points.....

Just Walkin'

Apr 21, 2022, 6:27:20 PM4/21/22
On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 11:15:45 AM UTC-5, Rachel wrote:
> On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 8:48:08 AM UTC-7, Rachel wrote:
> > On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 11:07:09 AM UTC-7, Just Kidding wrote:
> > > On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:44:58 -0700 (PDT), Rachel

Try making Matzoh Brei with egg and onion matzoh. Sweeten with honey.

And your take on stoned is correct.

General Zod

Apr 24, 2022, 3:17:13 PM4/24/22
On Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 6:27:20 PM UTC-4, Just Walkin' wrote:
> On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 11:15:45 AM UTC-5, Rachel wrote:
Interesting read, thanks folks.

Just Kidding

Apr 26, 2022, 10:24:20 AM4/26/22
On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 08:48:06 -0700 (PDT), Rachel
<golda...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 11:07:09 AM UTC-7, Just Kidding wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:44:58 -0700 (PDT), Rachel
>> <golda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >ever used dylan lyrics to help inspire them to diet...?
>> >
>> >i was just craving ice cream, and i found myself thinking, "for pleasure you now must resist." (actually, i put the now before you, but whatever)
>> >
>> >i thought that might be an interesting topic.
>> >
>> >anybody else ever use dylan lyrics to help guide them through some kind of life process? and if so, what were they?
>> Everybody must get stoned.
>
>doesn't that give you the munchies???

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Just Kidding

Apr 26, 2022, 10:26:00 AM4/26/22
On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:15:43 -0700 (PDT), Rachel
What was the queston again?

Just Kidding

Apr 26, 2022, 10:54:59 AM4/26/22
I would agree if I could figure out exactly what Rachel's take is. If
you mean it's not about getting stoned=high then I somewhat disagree
(althought that in no way means I'm correct). Seems to me the song is
clearly meant as something of a double entendre -- i.e., everybody is
going to criticize (stone) you, so you might as well just get stoned
(high).

There are two pieces of evidence to strongly support this
interpretation. The first is that when asked about the song, Dylan
said he would never write a drug song. Now who on earth would ever
believe Dylan's explanation about a song meanting?? The second is even
more irrefutable, and I must admit I learned it on the internets even
though in retrospect it's quite obvious: What does 12 x 35 equal?

'Nuff said.

Rachel

Apr 26, 2022, 12:56:14 PM4/26/22
sorry, i got confused again. (i realized this earlier, too)

these are not natural conversations, and i sort of forgot the general question, only remembered my original intention and answer, and thought you were saying get stoned inspired you to diet.

but i guess you figured that out. never mind.

boy, don't i sure feel like an idiot. oh well. :-(

General Zod

Apr 26, 2022, 4:49:03 PM4/26/22
Hi Rachel.... happy to see ye....

Willie

Apr 26, 2022, 8:07:15 PM4/26/22
Ha! I see SongFacts says, "If you multiply 12 by 35, you get 420, a number commonly associated with smoking marijuana. 420 came about because five high school students in California could only smoke at 4:20 in the afternoon. This time was after school and before their parents came home, so it was a good time for them to get high."

There's currently a thread at rec.music.beatles about "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" that outdoes that theory. It's here (but lengthy): https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.beatles/c/iKVqKbOAffI

The "Maxwell Silver Hammer" interpretation starts in the poster's second post: "A subtle religious inference that visually asserts itself in the studio is the lingering presence of an anvil, which was struck with a hammer by Mal Evans for an audio effect on the song 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer': the heavy blacksmith tool is symbolically associated with the Creator forging the Universe, and also broadly and specifically with Christian Martyrdom." Then the ingenious person has to take on the skeptics who think she or he (or they?) has gone a bit far with this.

Zod

Apr 28, 2022, 3:34:07 PM4/28/22
Interesting.....