Modern Times album cover was completely ripped off

Mark Trio

Sep 22, 2006, 11:42:05 AM9/22/06

moto

Sep 22, 2006, 11:46:50 AM9/22/06

Mark Trio wrote:
> Wow. It's almost exactly the same picture.
>
> http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/09/21/bob-dylan-secret-luna-fan/

oh im sure bob meant to do that i mean with the sociolythmic dichotomy
between old and new and modern and postmodern the evident struggle of
the modern to trump the oedipal urges of his postmodern progigal son ts
eliot dismembered grandma etc

Edward

Sep 22, 2006, 11:51:03 AM9/22/06

Mark Trio wrote:
> Wow. It's almost exactly the same picture.
>
> http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/09/21/bob-dylan-secret-luna-fan/

it is the same picture, taken in 1947. Use of it, however, is
'slightly' different. I do prefer the MT treatment.

Edward

Sep 22, 2006, 12:27:58 PM9/22/06

but it seems also that the luna cd is totally out of circulation.
can't seem to find it anywhere... not that this matters to the matter
at hand.....

keith61

Sep 22, 2006, 2:39:36 PM9/22/06
Try thinking before you blurt out an accusation of this nature. Did you
read the story? It is a photograph taken in 1947. Anyone can purchase
the right to use it. Personally I would have preferred original artwork
for the album cover but perhaps there is a lesson to learn here. I'm
not sure what it is but it has to do with the "effects" of this
post-modern age. When things are derived from things that are derived
it gets into an infinite cycle of derivation.............I hope you
follow me (last 5 words derived from Eddie Jefferson, Trane's Blues).
It just happened again. Even the words we speak a derivitive.

Just Walkin'

Sep 22, 2006, 4:20:02 PM9/22/06

Mark Trio wrote:
> Wow. It's almost exactly the same picture.
>
> http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/09/21/bob-dylan-secret-luna-fan/

Hey Mark,

The photo is entitled, "Taxi, New York at Night," by Ted Croner and is
a very famous composition. Bob gave full credit to the Ted Croner
estate on Modern Times. I had earlier read a rumor on RMD that it was
on display at the Baghdad Art Museum but saw in MT a credit courtesy of
the Howard Greenberg Gallery in New York. If anyone out there knows the
true story, maybe they'll offer it up here, again...

DJ Bjorklund

Sep 22, 2006, 4:35:48 PM9/22/06

<grin>

J Buck

Sep 22, 2006, 10:23:59 PM9/22/06
mt...@socal.rr.com (Mark Trio)
wrote: <Wow. It's almost exactly the same picture.>

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/09/21/bob-dylan-secret-luna-fan/

Figures. It ties in nicely with much of the music on MT.

Treadleson

Sep 23, 2006, 1:31:42 AM9/23/06

Mark Trio wrote:
> Wow. It's almost exactly the same picture.
>

> http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/09/21/bob-dylan-secret-luna-fan/

Then there was this one from June, 2001, more at reverse stealing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TheCoupCoverLarge.jpg

Ron Fowler

Sep 23, 2006, 1:42:17 AM9/23/06
The cover of Oh Mercy was ripped off, too.

Jumbo

Sep 23, 2006, 12:57:25 PM9/23/06

> Figures. It ties in nicely with much of the music on MT.

Not quite.

Anthony Fazio

Sep 23, 2006, 4:41:17 PM9/23/06
it is the same pic. but thats not stealing. it wasnt the other artists
pic either. its just a famous photo. on a different topic, i dont know
if any other dylan fans know this but the cover of nashville skyline
with dylan tipping his hat and looking down was done by another country
artist. his name escapes me right now though. im sure it was a sort of
"thanks" from dylan to the country artist though.

http://community.webtv.net/dylanfan1969/DylanFan1969sLinks

frinjdwelr

Sep 23, 2006, 6:49:29 PM9/23/06

"Ron Fowler" <lonely...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> The cover of Oh Mercy was ripped off, too.

No it wasn't. Where do you people come up with such garbage?
The cover of Oh Mercy was taken from a NY street mural. Bob saw it while
riding his bike to the studio each day. He had his people track down the
artist and they paid him for the right to use it on the album cover.
Needless to say, the artist was blown away by the honor, and he also really
appreciated the money.

And you can bet your sweet booty that Bob has also paid for the use of the
MT picture.

Buying a work of art or the right to display it is not "ripping it off" by
any definition of the phrase.
sheesh!

Jumbo

Sep 23, 2006, 7:30:18 PM9/23/06

This kind of nonsense is useful in one way. The same people make the
"theft" case with lyrics. You can therefore see how much objectivity
and intelligence is involved in it.

RJ

Sep 23, 2006, 7:41:15 PM9/23/06
In article <1159054218.5...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Jumbo" <ch...@cupolagallery.com> wrote:

> This kind of nonsense is useful in one way. The same people make the
> "theft" case with lyrics. You can therefore see how much objectivity
> and intelligence is involved in it.

And of course they are the first ones to download the album vis Limewire
or some other P2P program.

Jumbo

Sep 24, 2006, 5:44:58 AM9/24/06

Ha. Yep.