Speaking of Steve Allen & Kerouac

Janice

Mar 17, 2015, 8:23:08 PM3/17/15
I can't remember which thread had the Steve Allen / Dylan / Kerouac YouTubes, so I started over. Amazon loves to suggest similar entertainment, and I ran across two fascinating and fun early TV moments. For your entertainment --

Frank plays a bicycle...
Frank Zappa on The Steve Allen Show March 4, 1963
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MewcnFl_6Y

The next video takes place in 1968
Buckley, Kerouac, Sanders and Yablonsky discuss Hippies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaBnIzY3R00

While Ed Sanders of the Fugs seems to be the most articulate of the group, eventually (despite his alcoholic haze) Kerouac has the best line of the show.

~`~
Ah Sunflower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOn5NhBG_U0

Will Dockery

Mar 18, 2015, 5:30:00 AM3/18/15
Janice wrote:
> I can't remember which thread had the Steve Allen / Dylan / Kerouac YouTubes, so I started over. Amazon loves to suggest similar entertainment, and I ran across two fascinating and fun early TV moments. For your entertainment --
>
> Frank plays a bicycle...
> Frank Zappa on The Steve Allen Show March 4, 1963
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MewcnFl_6Y
>
> The next video takes place in 1968
> Buckley, Kerouac, Sanders and Yablonsky discuss Hippies
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaBnIzY3R00
>
> While Ed Sanders of the Fugs seems to be the most articulate of the group, eventually (despite his alcoholic haze) Kerouac has the best line of the show.

Yes, Kerouac remained in what seemed like terror of the television camera, so much that he apparently got trashed drunk to have the "courage" to face the evil eye of the glass teat. But still his charm and brilliant wit shines through the fog, he coulda been a contender.

From the very same moments in time, though, 1968, Jack Kerouac was doing much better, speaking more articulately, et ecetera, although probably still quite drunk, in places like the Paris review interview here:

Haiku instructions from Jack Kerouac...

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/4260/the-art-of-fiction-no-41-jack-kerouac

"Haiku? You want to hear haiku? You see you got to compress into three short
lines a great big story. First you start with a haiku situation--so you see a
leaf, as I told her the other night, falling on the back of a sparrow during
a great big October wind storm. A big leaf falls on the back of a little
sparrow. How you going to compress that into three lines? Now in Japanese
you got to compress it into seventeen syllables. We don't have to do that in
American--or English--because we don't have the same syllabic bullshit that
your Japanese language has. So you say: "Little sparrow"--you don't have to
say little--everybody knows a sparrow is little because they fall so you
say'..." -Jack Kerouac

(Excerpted for example, discussion and educational fair use purposes.)

> ~`~
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Ah Sunflower
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOn5NhBG_U0

Love the Fugs, their commercial Americana work such as "Belle of Avenue A" deserves a revival or two.

Willie

Mar 19, 2015, 8:10:02 PM3/19/15
That Steve Allen show is formidable. I see Zappa also played the Steve Allen show in 1968 (I didn't know the show ran that long.) I guess he played "Hungry Freaks, Daddy" and did some other things: http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=23267

Unfortunately, I can't find a video of it. Khematite? Anyone?

khematite

Mar 19, 2015, 10:24:14 PM3/19/15
Willie, the Steve Allen show with the 1968 Zappa episode was not the original Steve Allen show that aired from 1956-1960 on NBC against the Ed Sullivan Show and Maverick. It was a later syndicated show that ran from 1968-1971.

As for video of the show you're seeking (July 24, 1968), it appears that it doesn't exist (although fragments of the soundtrack of that episode, amounting to about half an hour, do seem to be circulating in Zappa collector circles). Here's a 2013 comment from the zappateers website you mentioned in your post.

"I've been in touch with someone at research video recently. I noticed they represented a couple TV programs FZ & MOI were in in 1966 & 1968, so I inquired what they had in their archives. but They do Not have the FZ episodes for these three programs in their archives:

"Frank Zappa on "Swingin' Time" July 12, 1966
Frank Zappa on "Sump'N Else" July, 1966, and
Frank Zappa on "The Steve Allen Show '68" July 24, 1968.

"Re: the Steve Allen footage, I was told
"Steve Allen did about 400 shows in that series. After it was finished he saved 100 shows to keep and the rest were recycled. The FZ show was not one he saved."

"They Do have 40 minutes of FZ on Speakeasy."

Willie

Mar 19, 2015, 10:45:05 PM3/19/15
Oh well. I would have been curious to see if Allen mentioned the bicycle show. I don't think he would have been as charmed by Hungry Freaks, Daddy as he was by the bicycle improv. But who knows. I loved how into his bicycle part of the duet Allen got. I thought he started out condescending, but warmed to Zappa and ended up having had a great time with him. Zappa seemed often friendly. He signed my draft card in '68 at Ravinia (near Chicago). Wish I still had it.

khematite

Mar 19, 2015, 10:49:22 PM3/19/15
On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 10:45:05 PM UTC-4, Willie wrote:

> Oh well. I would have been curious to see if Allen mentioned the bicycle show. I don't think he would have been as charmed by Hungry Freaks, Daddy as he was by the bicycle improv. But who knows. I loved how into his bicycle part of the duet Allen got. I thought he started out condescending, but warmed to Zappa and ended up having had a great time with him. Zappa seemed often friendly. He signed my draft card in '68 at Ravinia (near Chicago). Wish I still had it.

You're lucky. Lewis Hershey signed mine.

Will Dockery

Mar 9, 2017, 10:53:25 AM3/9/17
On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 8:23:08 PM UTC-4, Janice wrote:
This is great, nice morning fare with my coffee.

No breakfast, still fasting and no breaking that until afternoon sometime.

:)

General Zod

Mar 11, 2017, 12:54:09 AM3/11/17
Brutal but classic!

Grave Digger

Mar 11, 2017, 11:42:29 AM3/11/17

---

>>He signed my draft card in '68 at Ravinia (near Chicago).>>

now that's pretty fucking cool.

I hate to say it but I think we should bring back the draft(Bless me father)it just might stop all these stupid wars and give the people something to really protest about.
-
i'll leave with some of my favorites words in a book:

"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”
― Jack Kerouac, On the Road

cheers

Dr_dudley

Mar 11, 2017, 2:48:04 PM3/11/17
I'll have to say i'm the luckiest.

Phil Ochs autographed mine.

I've probably told the story innumerable times.

Years later I lost, or had lifted, the wallet it was in. Also in that wallet was my SocSec card. Never needed that until 2006 when my job required i had one.

}_{

Will Dockery

Mar 11, 2017, 3:42:10 PM3/11/17
The Phil Oohs story is a new one on me!

General Zod

May 4, 2022, 5:07:03 PMMay 4
On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 8:23:08 PM UTC-4, Janice wrote:
Cool stuff...