New album confirmed

Henry Llach

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96

Lanois spoke to a friend of mine and confirmed not only thathe has the
dylan tapes but that they are his next project

Daniel Baars

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

In article <1996Aug9.1...@lafn.org>, ay...@lafn.org (Henry Llach) wrote:

> Lanois spoke to a friend of mine and confirmed not only thathe has the
> dylan tapes but that they are his next project

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for this outburst but I'm REALLY happy now.

Daniel.

Ben Taylor

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

Daniel Baars <dan...@xs4all.nl> writes:
>In article <1996Aug9.1...@lafn.org>, ay...@lafn.org (Henry Llach) wrote:
>
>> Lanois spoke to a friend of mine and confirmed not only thathe has the
>> dylan tapes but that they are his next project

Are these tapes also confirmed to be a New Dylan Album or 'merely'
Lanois being employed to mix Dylan's single contribution to the
J.Rodgers tribute album? The words "next project" can be interpreted in
oh so many different ways.

(Excuse factual errors above, I'm sure someone will correct me).

Ben Taylor
--
Leeds, England
bpta...@laguna.demon.co.uk

Eric Schoneveld

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:16:52 GMT, ay...@lafn.org (Henry Llach) wrote:

>Lanois spoke to a friend of mine and confirmed not only thathe has the
>dylan tapes but that they are his next project

Let's hope these will leak out before Lanois touches them :-)).

Eric

----------------------
Eric Schoneveld, Holland, Europe #12 & 35
Email: ewsc...@caiw.nl
The Bob Dylan Unofficial CD Guide:
http://www.caiw.nl/~ewschone

ANDREW MULLINS

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Eric Schoneveld wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:16:52 GMT, ay...@lafn.org (Henry Llach) wrote:
>

> >Lanois spoke to a friend of mine and confirmed not only thathe has the
> >dylan tapes but that they are his next project
>
> Let's hope these will leak out before Lanois touches them :-)).
>
> Eric

Amen. Someone had to say it. I love Oh Mercy and can still enjoy Emmylou
Harris's latest despite the fact Lanois has managed to make her sound
like U2, but I'd rather hear anyone else produce a new Dylan album.
Listen to that Emmylou album. There's some great music on there (even
the Lanois-penned tunes) but it would be even greater without all the
reverb, droning bass, and Eno atmospherics. For the opposite effect,
listen to Gillian Welch's Revival, produced by T-Bone Burnett. Now
that's production. All you hear are the musicians and their songs, no
Phil Spectorish megalomania. T-Bone is off on the sidelines, paring his
fingernails like James Joyce.

Sorry, I had to say that.

Andrew Mullins
and...@vax2.concordia.ca

alex davis castrounis

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

ANDREW MULLINS (and...@vax2.concordia.ca) wrote:

I like "Oh Mercy" alot as well, and would you rather have Don "Underthe
Red Sky" Was produce it? Or how about grungemaster Brendan O'Brien, who
did the "Dignity" single and played on MTV Unplugged? I think what it
comes down to is how good the songs are. The producer isn't going to help
it or hurt it because Bob is a control freak in the studio, and a total
perfectionist...besides, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if h
produced it himself.

Jason Nodler

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

Please excuse my ignorance as I just got here,
but is it known whether these are original or
traditional songs? Any other info would be
greatly appreciated.

jason

Randy Chase

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

> The producer isn't going to help
> it or hurt it because Bob is a control freak in the studio, and a total
> perfectionist...besides, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if h
> produced it himself.

Actually, I think I would have to disagree with this. Bob may be a control
freak, but he has proven over the years to be far from a perfectionist in
the studio. And that's why I think Lanois is such a good producer for him.
He needs someone who is going to push him father than he may feel like
going on a given day.

--
Randy Chase
ra...@kelloggcreek.com

bob gill

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In article <4urdt4$p...@lynx.unm.edu>, ind...@indus.unm.edu says...

>... I think what it
>comes down to is how good the songs are. The producer isn't going to

help
>it or hurt it because Bob is a control freak in the studio, and a total
>perfectionist.

A total WHAT?!?! Are we talking about the guy who gave us such famous
lines as "When I s-- he built a fire on Main Street" and "To haa--- be on
your own"? The guy who recorded "Wedding Song" without playing the chords
the same way twice? Who sang the first line of "You Angel You" wrong and
couldn't be bothered to start the song over?
I'm not criticizing him, mind you, 'cause that's just the way he is.
But that sure don't sound like no perfectionist to me. And maybe he's
changed some over the years (and maybe he hasn't), but I don't think
anybody who started out like that could EVER become a perfectionist.
Remember, part of Lanois' account of recording Oh Mercy concerns Dylan's
inclination to do things in perfunctory fashion and Lanois' insistence
that he should do it right.
By the way, I'm certainly not an expert on U-2's sound, but I don't
hear any particular U-2 influence on Oh Mercy except perhaps "Most of the
Time". On "Series of Dreams" I hear it, but that one was left off, after
all.

-- Bob G.

John Howells

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

bob gill wrote:

> In article <4urdt4$p...@lynx.unm.edu>, ind...@indus.unm.edu says...
> >

> >... I think what it
> >comes down to is how good the songs are. The producer isn't going to
> help
> >it or hurt it because Bob is a control freak in the studio, and a total
> >perfectionist.
>
> A total WHAT?!?! Are we talking about the guy who gave us such famous
> lines as "When I s-- he built a fire on Main Street" and "To haa--- be on
> your own"? The guy who recorded "Wedding Song" without playing the chords
> the same way twice? Who sang the first line of "You Angel You" wrong and
> couldn't be bothered to start the song over?

In his own way he's a perfectionist, but he apparently chooses different
things to be a perfectionist about. For instance, he chose to leave
"Foot of Pride" off of Infidels because of the time fluctuation (which
most of us wouldn't have noticed) and left off the electric "Blind
Willie McTell" because he coughed at the beginning, and so forth. The
examples you mention above are puzzling until you realize that the
latter two were almost entirely improvised in the studio. Certainly "You
Angel You" was written on the spot, where "Wedding Song" might have
consisted only of lyrics at the time he recorded it. As for Blonde on
Blonde, those songs are perfect just the way they are :-) He probably
doesn't consider those kind of vocal flubs important.

--

John Howells
how...@sgi.com

Eric Schoneveld

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

On 14 Aug 1996 02:33:08 GMT, ind...@indus.unm.edu (alex davis castrounis)
wrote about Re: New album confirmed :

> Bob is a control freak in the studio, and a total

>perfectionist...

Huh, did I miss something ?

>besides, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if h
>produced it himself.

The "I wouldn't know how to use it even if I have to"-quote springs to mind
!

Robin Jatko

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

On 14 Aug 1996, Randy Chase wrote:

> > The producer isn't going to help

> > it or hurt it because Bob is a control freak in the studio, and a total
> > perfectionist...besides, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if h
> > produced it himself.
>

> Actually, I think I would have to disagree with this. Bob may be a control
> freak, but he has proven over the years to be far from a perfectionist in
> the studio. And that's why I think Lanois is such a good producer for him.
> He needs someone who is going to push him father than he may feel like
> going on a given day.

It seems to me that when he tries to be a perfectionist in the studio,
it's not particularly successful. Because the bottom line with Dylan is
he's either right on or he wanders off into left field and maybe makes
things even worse by trying to patch it up later--ugh! We've all seen
and/or heard the results of this!

His most interesting stuff is minimally produced IMHO, which is why Man In
The Long Black Coat is my favorite track, and Lanois' I might add. Lanois
said he just sat down and did it.

Although MitLBC is not necessarily my favorite song on the album (there's
a lot of good strong songwriting here), it's certainly my favorite take. I
could do with a bit less production from Lanois, the truth be known--give
the man some room here--but Dylan enjoyed working with a musician, and
Lanois is a fine musician who has done some nice stuff himself--ACADIE is
a great album for one.

Robin

PS I'll believe there's a new album coming when I'm clutching it in my
eager grubby hands

DaveM39749

Aug 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/17/96

I wrote in the NYTimes on the occasion of Dylan's 50th birthday, that
Dylan's resistance to recording is such that he is capable of making it
seem as if there is no difference at all between hip-hop producer Arthur
Baker and a good singer-songwriter man like Chuck plotkin. (And asked
Arthur and Chuck if they'd be offended--they weren't, they agreed.)
Lanois is another matter: Lanois's records are processed in such a way
that they sound like his work more than any performer he might be working
with. You may like this or loathe it (it gives me the creeps 'til I doze
off), but it's true: A Lanois-produced Dylan record may be good or bad,
but it will sound the LEAST like a Dylan record ever.