Dylan tidbits from Rob Stoner podcast

James Zadok

Jul 14, 2020, 12:49:03 PM7/14/20
According to this podcast, Dylan was miffed that Elvis declined to record "Forever Young" before Dylan himself released it (in two versions) on the 1974 album "Planet Waves." Dylan sent the song to Elvis in 1973, but absolutely nothing happened.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rob-stoner/id1437321669?i=1000484403389

"Rolling Thunder Revue bass player and bandleader Rob Stoner on Jacques Levy, Emmylou Harris, Sam Shepard and how he “made out with Joan Baez on a motel room balcony” for Renaldo & Clara. Rob also sets the record straight on the Scorsese Netflix film: “I got a beef with that Van Dorp character!” and alerts us to his uncredited harmony vocal on Abandoned Love.

"What was it like playing live with Bob? “Sink or swim. If you’re good enough, you ought to be able to swim”. Did Bob actually never speak to Mick Ronson on the Rolling Thunder tour? “It was written into the contract”. The Fort Collins concert, where Hard Rain was recorded? “Bob was in a foul mood, man.”

"Other insights include how Elvis miffed Bob, rehearsal details for the 1978 Alimony Tour and John Lennon’s “Dylan imitation” on Ticket To Ride. Roll up, roll up - for an historic episode.

"While still in school, Rob Stoner was signed to a songwriting contract by Leiber and Stoller. As a session musician, he played and sang on classic recordings including American Pie. His albums with Dylan include Desire, Hard Rain, Bob Dylan At Budokan and Live 1975. Following his stint with Bob, Rob released a critically-acclaimed album of original songs on MCA Records. He also became the first non-Southerner to release an album on Sun Records. His songs have been recorded by Link Wray, Johnny Winter and Robert Gordon. He has played with Chuck Berry, Ringo Starr, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Ray Vaughan and countless others. Rob lives in Rockland County, New York, where he remains active on the music scene."

Willie

Jul 14, 2020, 9:29:24 PM7/14/20
I'm guessing that in 1973, for Elvis, the prospect of singing "Forever Young" might have seemed a setup for humiliation. I just checked Peter Guralnick's "Careless Love" (volume 2 of his massive Elvis biography), and could find no mention of the "Forever Young" offer. I haven't listened to the podcast yet. Does it say more about this offer and outcome?

Willie

Jul 14, 2020, 9:48:23 PM7/14/20
Ok, I found that passage of the podcast and see it doesn't say much more about "Forever Young." The Jerry Weintraub stuff was interesting, about how Bob had lost money on Rolling Thunder and needed a better approach to making money (record sales having dried up). So he bought into the Neil Diamond approach. That was also the "Street Legal" year. I just looked at my album, and I don't even know, besides "Señor," what any of those songs sounds like.

Will Dockery

Jul 16, 2020, 2:40:30 PM7/16/20
On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 9:48:23 PM UTC-4, Willie wrote:
Street Legal came at an important time in my life (Just turned 20, just married, expecting my first born son, born November 27 1978) and I played it pretty much all day every say in the Summer of 1978, which could be why the album is so memorable to me.

I never listen to it much in recent decades but Street Legal remains a favorite.

Marc Catone

Jul 16, 2020, 7:36:43 PM7/16/20
You're just a kid, Will. ;-)

Will Dockery