The "Dark" songs written between Desire & Street Legal

Will Dockery

Sep 7, 2016, 6:05:57 AM9/7/16
Now that, after David Bowie's death this year, the previously unreleased 1974 album of his, The Gouster, is suddenly being released this month, I wonder if the similarly hidden 1977 songs Dylan played for a guitarist (Bloomfield or Bromberg, I forget which person was quoted) that were said to be "very dark", may someday also surface?

And just what is really known about these songs? Anything besides just the slightest descriptions?

Stephan Pickering

Sep 7, 2016, 1:23:47 PM9/7/16
On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 3:05:57 AM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:
> Now that, after David Bowie's death this year, the previously unreleased 1974 album of his, The Gouster, is suddenly being released this month, I wonder if the similarly hidden 1977 songs Dylan played for a guitarist (Bloomfield or Bromberg, I forget which person was quoted) that were said to be "very dark", may someday also surface?
>
> And just what is really known about these songs? Anything besides just the slightest descriptions?

In late 1977, he performed these songs in the home of Steven Soles (who was the only witness to ever discuss them), and present also was T-Bone Burnett (a Vineyard movement cultist) and David Mansfield. They were not recorded. The songs have never been copyrighted, and Shabtai denies he recorded them, and the lyric sheets are NOT in Tulsa. He first mentioned them in May 1978 to Robert Hilburn. I have long suspected 'We better talk this over' was one of the winter 1977 songs.
STEPHAN PICKERING / חפץ ח"ם בן אברהם
Torah אלילה Yehu'di Apikores / Philologia Kabbalistica Speculativa Researcher
לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

THE KABBALAH FRACTALS PROJECT

M. Rick

Sep 7, 2016, 2:39:36 PM9/7/16
On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 3:05:57 AM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:
> And just what is really known about these songs? Anything besides just the slightest descriptions?

They're very, very, very devilish.

khematite

Sep 7, 2016, 5:25:37 PM9/7/16
On Wednesday, 7 September 2016 06:05:57 UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Now that, after David Bowie's death this year, the previously unreleased 1974 album of his, The Gouster, is suddenly being released this month, I wonder if the similarly hidden 1977 songs Dylan played for a guitarist (Bloomfield or Bromberg, I forget which person was quoted) that were said to be "very dark", may someday also surface?
>
> And just what is really known about these songs? Anything besides just the slightest descriptions?

http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/shelter-from-the-storm-the-inside-story-of-bob-dylan-s-blood-on-the-tracks-15656

"In 1977, while visiting Rolling Thunder tour-mates Steven Soles and T-Bone Burnett, he played a set of songs too frightening to ever be heard again: like Blood On The Tracks 2, with the love torn out. “They were all very, very, very tough, dark, dark, dark songs,” Soles told Howard Sounes. “None of them saw the light of day. They got discarded because I think they were too strong. They were the continuation of the Bob and Sara tale, on the angry side of that conflict.” One of these blackest of tracks, “I’m Cold”, scared Soles. “It was scathing and tough and venomous. A song that would bring a chill to your bones. That’s what it did to me. T-Bone and I, when he left, our mouths were just wide open. We couldn’t even believe what we’d heard.”

Stephan Pickering

Sep 8, 2016, 12:18:29 AM9/8/16
On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 2:25:37 PM UTC-7, khematite wrote:

On 22 May 1978, Robert Hilburn sat with Shabtai Zisel, publishing his interview as 'Bob Dylan opens up on Bob Dylan', Los Angeles Times Calendar 28 May. Shabtai states:

'[on Street-Legal] I went beyond that [the divorce]. I cut that whole experience right off. I had some songs last year which I didn’t record. They dealt with that period as I was going through it. For relief, I wrote the tunes. I thought they were great. Some people around town heard them. I played them for some friends. But I had no interest in recording them. I wanted to start off new on the album'.

Steven Soles, of course, broke the silence about the 1977 compositions to gossipographer Howard Sounes, among others. There were 10-12 songs that he played for Soles/Burnett/Mansfield in 1977, and I think he never had any intentions of recording them. A few months later, on the Loretto, Minnesota farm, he began writing the Street-Legal material.

Willie

Sep 8, 2016, 9:12:57 AM9/8/16
One by-product of this Uncut article is it links to a recent photo of Joni Mitchell, who seems to be out and about some now:

http://jonimitchell.com/news/newsitem.cfm?id=899

I guess these unrecorded songs will join the list of unsolved mysteries. Like video footage of Elmore James, Robert Johnson's death, SNL Pat's gender. There probably is a site for the Dylan hidden treasures.

khematite

Sep 8, 2016, 10:59:23 AM9/8/16
One list at:

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1157-beyond-the-bootlegs-bob-dylans-unreleased-holy-grails/

I'm sure there's lots more, including of course Dylan's bar mitzvah performance--probably done in his sweet voice. Come to think of it, you also never see the fountain pens he received that day offered up on eBay.

Willie

Sep 8, 2016, 12:37:39 PM9/8/16
I *knew* you'd present a gem like this. As for the pens, is there some story that he lost the pens? Maybe they haven't made it to eBay, but the Agudath Achim Synagogue site itself went up for sale in 2010 (I'm sure that was discussed on RMD):

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/11/house-of-the-rising-son-site-of-bob-dylans-bar-mitzvah-for-sale/?_r=0

Will Dockery

Sep 8, 2016, 12:49:02 PM9/8/16
Nice to see Joni Mitchell again. I really, really liked her and her songs about 40 years ago, kind of lost touch somewhere in the following years.

Will Dockery

Sep 8, 2016, 1:04:46 PM9/8/16
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 10:59:23 AM UTC-4, khematite wrote:
This is really good, thanks.

:)

Stephan Pickering

Sep 8, 2016, 8:57:46 PM9/8/16
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 7:59:23 AM UTC-7, khematite wrote:

> I'm sure there's lots more, including of course Dylan's bar mitzvah performance--probably done in his sweet voice. Come to think of it, you also never see the fountain pens he received that day offered up on eBay.

12 June 1954. I have copies of the invitations to the actual Rav Reuven Maier officiated ceremony, and the dinner that evening. There were only a few fountain pens handed out (actual fountain pens requiring ink to be drawn into them). The first chapter in my monograph-in-progress is titled: '12 June 1954 -- the reliquary of 'Bob Dylan' / Shabtai Zisel's bar mitzvah'. Several pages are devoted to his actual reading (in Hebrew, which he still reads and speaks).

M. Rick

Sep 8, 2016, 9:55:46 PM9/8/16
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 5:57:46 PM UTC-7, Stephan Pickering wrote:
>The first chapter in my monograph-in-progress is titled: '12 June 1954 -- the reliquary of 'Bob Dylan' / Shabtai Zisel's bar mitzvah'. Several pages are devoted to his actual reading (in Hebrew, which he still reads and speaks).

My first chapter here is entitled "Connect The Dots." My thesis is that the obsession with famous people and the disintegration of privacy connect to violent crime and political fascism. Is that an unreasonable thesis?

Stephan Pickering

Sep 8, 2016, 11:17:54 PM9/8/16
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 6:55:46 PM UTC-7, M. Rick wrote:

> My first chapter here is entitled "Connect The Dots." My thesis is that the obsession with famous people and the disintegration of privacy connect to violent crime and political fascism. Is that an unreasonable thesis?

Shalom & Erev tov...for anyone wanting to analyse this bigot troll, please do so. For some time, he opens his mouth, which is cross-contamination. The discussion of truth stops prudently with this anal orifice before the parallels draw close enough to yield probable, logical conclusions.

Will Dockery

Sep 9, 2016, 7:17:07 AM9/9/16
It does look like these may turn out to be the truly lost Bob Dylan songs, then?

Stephan Pickering

Sep 9, 2016, 11:20:38 AM9/9/16
On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 4:17:07 AM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:

Yes. He didn't even make private recordings. The lyric sheets (he keeps, even now, meticulous folders) are not in Tulsa, nor in New York. I've been told, however, these sheets were not destroyed, but are in family hands. Nearly 40 years later, I would be surprised if he gives them thought, and my premise has always been they are owned by Sara Dylan. I maintain a scholarly interest in them, if only because his writing processes did not stop after Blood on the Tracks, and, within a relatively short time, he was back in Minnesota, writing most of what was to become Street-Legal.

Will Dockery

Sep 9, 2016, 11:32:12 AM9/9/16
It does make for interesting daydreams... I'm imagining something past the points Idiot Wind and Dirge marked.

gj

Sep 9, 2016, 3:27:36 PM9/9/16
On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 08:32:09 -0700 (PDT), Will Dockery
<will.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 11:20:38 AM UTC-4, Stephan Pickering wrote:
>> On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 4:17:07 AM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:
>>
>> Yes. He didn't even make private recordings. The lyric sheets (he keeps, even now, meticulous folders) are not in Tulsa, nor in New York. I've been told, however, these sheets were not destroyed, but are in family hands. Nearly 40 years later, I would be surprised if he gives them thought, and my premise has always been they are owned by Sara Dylan. I maintain a scholarly interest in them, if only because his writing processes did not stop after Blood on the Tracks, and, within a relatively short time, he was back in Minnesota, writing most of what was to become Street-Legal.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> STEPHAN PICKERING / ??? ?"? ?? ?????
>> Torah ????? Yehu'di Apikores / Philologia Kabbalistica Speculativa Researcher
>> ????? ??? ?? ??????
>>
>> THE KABBALAH FRACTALS PROJECT
>
>It does make for interesting daydreams... I'm imagining something past the points Idiot Wind and Dirge marked.

I imagine him hammering away on a C chord for 5 minutes screaming
'die-bitch-die!'.

-GJ 2.1

M. Rick

Sep 9, 2016, 3:52:48 PM9/9/16
On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 12:27:36 PM UTC-7, Gemini Jackson wrote:
> I imagine him hammering away on a C chord for 5 minutes screaming 'die-bitch-die!'.

It's surprising he didn't pull an OJ.

M. Rick

Sep 9, 2016, 3:55:07 PM9/9/16
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 8:17:54 PM UTC-7, Stephan Pickering wrote:
>logical conclusions.

Is it fair to conclude that idolatry of Bob Dylan violates the essential tenet of Judaism (monotheism)?

Will Dockery

Sep 9, 2016, 4:19:05 PM9/9/16
Sounds like he came under a sudden Velvet Underground/Lou Reed influence.

I can imagine Bob Dylan's cover of Metal Machine Music.

:)

Will Dockery

Sep 9, 2016, 4:21:15 PM9/9/16
As usual, being the troll you are, you have to take things just a little too far.

:)

M. Rick

Sep 9, 2016, 4:35:53 PM9/9/16
On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 1:21:15 PM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:
>As usual, being the troll you are, you have to take things just a little too far.

Just a little.

Stephan Pickering

Sep 9, 2016, 5:48:14 PM9/9/16
On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 12:55:07 PM UTC-7, M. Rick wrote:

> Is it fair to conclude that idolatry of Bob Dylan violates the essential tenet of Judaism (monotheism)?

Shalom & Boker tov...predictably, this baiting troll whines for attention, in the process mangling English because he is Hebrew illiterate. There is no grounds to think aniconism and Yaha'dut are mutually exclusive, and the concept of 'monotheism' is meaningless. Nor, can Shabtai Zisel benAvraham v'Rachel Riva be interpreted by a chassidish Yehu'di, which I am, as a carved-image.

M. Rick

Sep 10, 2016, 1:49:55 AM9/10/16
On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 2:48:14 PM UTC-7, Stephan Pickering wrote:
>Nor, can Shabtai Zisel benAvraham v'Rachel Riva be interpreted by a chassidish Yehu'di, which I am, as a carved-image.

Are the Dylan worshipers on this group claiming they are not Dylan worshipers, or are they saying that their idolatry is compatible with Judaism?

Will Dockery

Sep 10, 2016, 7:07:40 AM9/10/16
On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 1:49:55 AM UTC-4, M. Rick wrote:

> Are the Dylan worshipers on this group

I don't think there are any of those types posting here, M.R.

Do you have examples of those you suspect?

M. Rick

Sep 10, 2016, 3:58:14 PM9/10/16
On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 4:07:40 AM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:
> Do you have examples of those you suspect?

- number of Dylan items in one's possession
- amount of money and time spent on Dylan
- using the phrase "true Dylan fan" (or equivalent like "true Jew") to distinguish the enlightened from the rest
- obsession with Dylan's personal life
- Dylan shrines or pictorial displays around the house
- notion that Dylan is the messiah and/or Jesus
- notion that Dylan is a prophet sent by God
- notion that Dylan stands alone among the history of the world's artists
- religious and moral rationalizations for idolatry

Will Dockery

Sep 10, 2016, 4:46:59 PM9/10/16
I'm a Polytheist then, because I have as much or more material on by or about:

>- The Rolling Stones
>- Lou Reed
>- Jack Kerouac
>- Harlan Ellison
>- comic books
>- Leonard Cohen
>- Myself
>- David Bowie
>- The Beat Generation

>- There's much more but you get my drift, I think.

:)

Stephan Pickering

Sep 10, 2016, 8:56:45 PM9/10/16
On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 10:49:55 PM UTC-7, M. Rick wrote:

> Are the Dylan worshipers on this group claiming they are not Dylan worshipers, or are they saying that their idolatry is compatible with Judaism?

Shalom & Erev tov...the anti-Yehu'dit nationalsozialismus of this troll's comments is beneath contempt.

I do not 'worship' any human, nor is my scholarship on Shabtai Zisel predicated on 'idolatry' (a vacuous construct), because Shabtai Zisel is not a 'carved image', nor is he the Mashiach. The rabbinic concept of nav'i is so fluid a genuine consensus in the literatue has never been achieved (the English word 'prophet' is, like 'reality', vaporous).

Since this troll is Hebrew illiterate, I note Yaha'dut in English is more accurately translated as Yaha'dutim / 'Judaisms'; but knowing for a fact this bigot troll has never published on Shabtai Zisel (my working bibliography has been presented at this forum), the rest of the comments by the troll on this particular page are baiting diarrhea.

Will, you and I both know the pseudo-criteria the troll lists are meaningless, and in my opinion most are blatantly antisemitic. All display predictable ignorance. I spent time studying, in the last century, for semikhah; the troll does not know the meaning, so should look it up, then apologise.

Will Dockery

Sep 11, 2016, 2:29:27 AM9/11/16
True, M.R. seems to be one of the biggest fools we'v e seen come down the pike in a long while.

George Sulzbach

Sep 11, 2016, 9:03:49 PM9/11/16
I would like to hear these lost songs.

M. Rick

Sep 11, 2016, 9:24:41 PM9/11/16
On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 11:29:27 PM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:
>True, M.R. seems to be one of the biggest fools we'v e seen come down the pike in a long while.

It's probably foolish to keep posting here for my own benefit. But I'm enjoying the "Shabtai" manifesto.

Stephan Pickering

Sep 11, 2016, 10:11:58 PM9/11/16
On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 6:24:41 PM UTC-7, M. Rick wrote:

Shalom & Erev tov...this 'born-again' troll's bigotry has no boundaries...I can suggest an excellent colonic shower for him, as well as all of us awaiting his apology, since he never studied for semikhah, is Hebrew (and, need one add, koine Greek) illiterate...and has never published.

Will Dockery

Sep 12, 2016, 5:56:34 AM9/12/16
On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 9:24:41 PM UTC-4, M. Rick wrote:
> On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 11:29:27 PM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:
> >True, M.R. seems to be one of the biggest fools we'v e seen come down the pike in a long while.
>
> It's probably foolish to keep posting here for my own benefit

Well, if it somehow does you good, I reckon you should keep going... a little heckling never killed anyone.

DianeE

Sep 12, 2016, 7:40:45 AM9/12/16

"Will Dockery" <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message
---------------
That's the thing, Will; I see M. Rick (and suspect he sees himself) as more
of a gadfly than a troll.

DianeE

Will Dockery

Jul 8, 2021, 2:10:22 PM7/8/21
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 10:59:23 AM UTC-4, khematite wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 September 2016 09:12:57 UTC-4, Willie wrote:

> > > http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/shelter-from-the-storm-the-inside-story-of-bob-dylan-s-blood-on-the-tracks-15656
> > >
> > > "In 1977, while visiting Rolling Thunder tour-mates Steven Soles and T-Bone Burnett, he played a set of songs too frightening to ever be heard again: like Blood On The Tracks 2, with the love torn out. “They were all very, very, very tough, dark, dark, dark songs,” Soles told Howard Sounes. “None of them saw the light of day. They got discarded because I think they were too strong. They were the continuation of the Bob and Sara tale, on the angry side of that conflict.” One of these blackest of tracks, “I’m Cold”, scared Soles. “It was scathing and tough and venomous. A song that would bring a chill to your bones. That’s what it did to me. T-Bone and I, when he left, our mouths were just wide open. We couldn’t even believe what we’d heard.”
> >
> > One by-product of this Uncut article is it links to a recent photo of Joni Mitchell, who seems to be out and about some now:
> >
> > http://jonimitchell.com/news/newsitem.cfm?id=899
> >
> > I guess these unrecorded songs will join the list of unsolved mysteries. Like video footage of Elmore James, Robert Johnson's death, SNL Pat's gender. There probably is a site for the Dylan hidden treasures.
> One list at:
>
> http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1157-beyond-the-bootlegs-bob-dylans-unreleased-holy-grails/
>
> I'm sure there's lots more, including of course Dylan's bar mitzvah performance--probably done in his sweet voice. Come to think of it, you also never see the fountain pens he received that day offered up on eBay.

Revisting this, asking around...

Will Dockery

Jul 8, 2021, 2:14:59 PM7/8/21
On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 5:25:37 PM UTC-4, khematite wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 September 2016 06:05:57 UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > Now that, after David Bowie's death this year, the previously unreleased 1974 album of his, The Gouster, is suddenly being released this month, I wonder if the similarly hidden 1977 songs Dylan played for a guitarist (Bloomfield or Bromberg, I forget which person was quoted) that were said to be "very dark", may someday also surface?
> >
> > And just what is really known about these songs? Anything besides just the slightest descriptions?
> http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/shelter-from-the-storm-the-inside-story-of-bob-dylan-s-blood-on-the-tracks-15656
>
> "In 1977, while visiting Rolling Thunder tour-mates Steven Soles and T-Bone Burnett, he played a set of songs too frightening to ever be heard again: like Blood On The Tracks 2, with the love torn out. “They were all very, very, very tough, dark, dark, dark songs,” Soles told Howard Sounes. “None of them saw the light of day. They got discarded because I think they were too strong. They were the continuation of the Bob and Sara tale, on the angry side of that conflict.” One of these blackest of tracks, “I’m Cold”, scared Soles. “It was scathing and tough and venomous. A song that would bring a chill to your bones. That’s what it did to me. T-Bone and I, when he left, our mouths were just wide open. We couldn’t even believe what we’d heard.”

This is it, thanks K.
Message has been deleted

Pamela Brown

Jul 11, 2021, 1:17:51 PM7/11/21
Funny. But we all know what happened to Socrates...

Pamela Brown

Jul 11, 2021, 1:18:24 PM7/11/21
On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 8:03:49 PM UTC-5, George Sulzbach wrote:
> I would like to hear these lost songs.
So would I...
Message has been deleted

Zod

May 4, 2022, 4:23:26 PM5/4/22
Strange... these sound like some important songs....

Willie

May 5, 2022, 9:12:46 PM5/5/22
I'd forgotten this thread. K's link to the Dylan Holy Grails led to this video, which shows an eerie (I thought) melodic similarity between Neil Young's "Helpless" and "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," which I'd never noticed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sDGTZRdQdw&t=102s

Zod

May 6, 2022, 1:36:43 PM5/6/22
Of interest......!

Zod

May 9, 2022, 2:13:31 PM5/9/22
On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 5:25:37 PM UTC-4, khematite wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 September 2016 06:05:57 UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > Now that, after David Bowie's death this year, the previously unreleased 1974 album of his, The Gouster, is suddenly being released this month, I wonder if the similarly hidden 1977 songs Dylan played for a guitarist (Bloomfield or Bromberg, I forget which person was quoted) that were said to be "very dark", may someday also surface?
> >
> > And just what is really known about these songs? Anything besides just the slightest descriptions?
> http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/shelter-from-the-storm-the-inside-story-of-bob-dylan-s-blood-on-the-tracks-15656
>
> "In 1977, while visiting Rolling Thunder tour-mates Steven Soles and T-Bone Burnett, he played a set of songs too frightening to ever be heard again: like Blood On The Tracks 2, with the love torn out. “They were all very, very, very tough, dark, dark, dark songs,” Soles told Howard Sounes. “None of them saw the light of day. They got discarded because I think they were too strong. They were the continuation of the Bob and Sara tale, on the angry side of that conflict.” One of these blackest of tracks, “I’m Cold”, scared Soles. “It was scathing and tough and venomous. A song that would bring a chill to your bones. That’s what it did to me. T-Bone and I, when he left, our mouths were just wide open. We couldn’t even believe what we’d heard.”

This material sounds fascinating....