Beacon Theater April 29th

ps...@earthlink.net

Apr 30, 2005, 1:22:43 AM4/30/05
At exactly 8:15 the curtain rose at the Beacon Theater on Merle Haggard
& the Strangers doing "Big City." And for the next hour, Haggard led
his excellent band through a set that not only touched on his hits and
classic songs such as "White Line Fever" and "Silver Wings," but also
was a tour through several styles of American roots-based music, not
only country, but blues, swing and dixieland, somtimes hitting all of
the above on one song.

For close to 40 years Haggard has had the best road band in country
music, and he still does, despite the fact that the only original
members are drummer Biff Adams and steel player Norman Hamlet.

While the intensity of the late Roy Nichols is missed, the Strangers
remain top-notch, and Haggard's vocal skills have not diminished one
bit.

Sometime after 9:30 the curtain rose on a hatless Bob Dylan and his new
band tearing it up on "To Belone With You" with Don Herron leading the
way on fiddle.

This was followed by "Hazel" with a great harp solo and then a killer
version of "Cry Awhile" with brand new stops added on the time change.

A careful and gorgeous "Shelter From the Storm" followed with all
members playing quietly letting the words be the focus.

This was followed by "Cold Irons Bound" with Denny Freeman adding a
slide down on the bass notes of his guitar. Stu Kimball picked up an
acoustic afterwards and began strumming in what once was referred to as
a Dylan strum a few centuries ago. Herron came in on steel and the
song turned into "Chimes of Freedom." The tempo was perfect, and when
Dylan confused a couple of lines on one of the later verses it didn't
matter. It was a truly moving performance.

Dylan put on his hat for one of the best versions of "Highway 61" I've
seen in years came next with great work from all guitar players
followed by "Love Sick."

At first "Watching The River Flow" seemed like a letdown, but there
were surprises in store, started by a wake up guitar solo by Kimball,
how handed it over to Freeman, who handed it to Herron and then
surprise of surprises, a piano solo by Dylan!

The curtain behind the players took on a starlit background for an
ethereal "Not Dark Yet," which pointed out one of the interesting
things about this tour. On the last few tours it was almost as if
Dylan didn't want to touch his slow songs or let them be slow. This
time he is treating them with the respect they deserve.

This led into a jumping Summer Days, with Herron playing a Driftin'
Cowboys lap steel and by the end the song was up there with the best of
the Sexton/Campbell years.

The new "Tambourine Man" closed the show, with Herron playing heavenly
pedal steel that reminded me of Buddy Emmons' version of "Wild Mountain
Thyme." The arrangement of this song has grown since the tour began,
and while I prefer the original, it's a lot better seeing it than
hearing it.

They returned for a terrific "Things Have Changed" with led into a
great jam that went on and on with call and response between Dylan and
Herron, followed by a not bad at all "Like A Rolling Stone."

This was easily the best Dylan show I've seen in years.

tom .

Apr 30, 2005, 1:29:54 AM4/30/05

> This was easily the best Dylan show I've seen in years.

bullshit.

the show was mediocre at best and dylan sucked wind for most of it.

.

njjeff

Apr 30, 2005, 7:23:33 AM4/30/05
I totally agree with this review. I have seen 4 shows in the last 10
days and thus show was clearly the ebst. There was an electricity at
the Beacon and Dylan was in wonderful form. I agree that the slow songs
really stood out.

musicaner

Apr 30, 2005, 8:37:43 AM4/30/05

TRUE,HANDS DOWN the best tour hes done since i can remember.

tom .

Apr 30, 2005, 8:50:08 AM4/30/05

>>This was easily the best Dylan show I've seen in years.

> TRUE,HANDS DOWN the best tour hes done since i can remember.

you people must be on the pot.

or senile.

that's the only explanation.

there were a few good performances but the majority of the show was very
lackluster.

.

number6

Apr 30, 2005, 9:10:54 AM4/30/05

When one is losing 3-1 ... soul searching should be on the horizon ...

tom .

Apr 30, 2005, 9:36:17 AM4/30/05

>>or senile.

>>.

look here, you.

it is clear that you types will lap up whatever dylan spits out these days.

you have given up your souls and are no better than programmed cult
members with no ability to grasp or discern reality.

good god. that 'cry a while'? a travesty.

'love sick'? a plodding bore.

'cold irons bound'? please.

a great 'highway 61 revisited'? what? he was going through the motions.

and the band? talk about a bunch of zombies. they're like some high
school orchestra. no connections happening on stage at all. nothing.

if this is the best dylan is capable of these days, this is certainly a
sad turn of events. because something definitely has been lost.

.

musicaner

Apr 30, 2005, 9:36:50 AM4/30/05

the WORST performance from this tour is SUPERIOR to the BEST
performance
of the last several tours. anyone with ears CAN HEAR THE DIFFERENCE.

Seth Kulick

Apr 30, 2005, 9:38:35 AM4/30/05
ps...@earthlink.net wrote:

[...]

: This was easily the best Dylan show I've seen in years.

Completely predictable. I'm seeing the show tonight, and whenever I see
a show with Peter, when he saw the show the previous night and I didn't,
it's always the show I didn't see that was the great show, the one when
Dylan was really on.

At about 11:30 tonight or whenver, Peter will be saying, "that was a good
show, but last night's was better".

Seriously, though (actually I was serious above), I've just finished
listening to the three Boston shows, and they are the best Dylan shows
I've heard in quite some time.

tom .

Apr 30, 2005, 9:53:17 AM4/30/05

>>or senile.

>>.

so what you're really saying here is that bob and his band are sucking
a little less lately? compared to the last couple of years when they
sucked more?

or that he's putting a little more effort into actually singing three or
four songs a show but still sleepwalking through the rest of them?

ok.

i can accept that.

high praise indeed.

.

number6

Apr 30, 2005, 11:06:44 AM4/30/05

Sedatives aisle 5 ...
or rat poison aisle 6 ...
Ear wax remover ... aisle 7 ...
your choice young man ...

musicaner

Apr 30, 2005, 11:09:33 AM4/30/05

"tom ." <blin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
NO im sayin that only someone basically with NO EARS
would think the last several DULL tours
could even compare to the current one.

musicaner

Apr 30, 2005, 11:12:19 AM4/30/05
hey BROTHER SEND THOSE BOSTON SHOWS to me!!! i keep listening to IF YOU SEE
SAY HELLO from
LA and i cant get over the MUSICALITY of it!!

no MORE NOISE TOURS!!!

"Seth Kulick" <sku...@linc.cis.upenn.edu> wrote in message

tom .

Apr 30, 2005, 11:40:39 AM4/30/05

>>if this is the best dylan is capable of these days, this is certainly
>>a sad turn of events. because something definitely has been lost.

>>.

> Sedatives aisle 5 ...
> or rat poison aisle 6 ...
> Ear wax remover ... aisle 7 ...
> your choice young man ...

young man?

how dare you, number 6.

as if that's your real name...

how dare you.

and oh how very ironic, in light of your chosen name, that you would
choose to act this way toward someone with a different opinion.

ganging up on me, with your cronies.

how very ironic.

the village, indeed, number 6.

the village, indeed.

by the way - cruise ships are for old fat people.

no wonder you think dylan is at top form these days.

what nerve.

go take another cruise, you washed up test tube you.

this is an outrage.

a premiere dylanalogist like myself being spoken to in this manner.

i am writing howells about this.

.

tom .

Apr 30, 2005, 11:45:40 AM4/30/05

>>>the WORST performance from this tour is SUPERIOR to the BEST
>>>performance of the last several tours. anyone with ears CAN HEAR THE
>>>DIFFERENCE.

>>so what you're really saying here is that bob and his band are sucking a
>>little less lately? compared to the last couple of years when they sucked
>>more?

>>or that he's putting a little more effort into actually singing three or
>>four songs a show but still sleepwalking through the rest of them?
>>ok.
>>i can accept that.
>>high praise indeed.
>>.

> NO im sayin that only someone basically with NO EARS
> would think the last several DULL tours
> could even compare to the current one.

i disagree. wholeheartedly.

i think they are comparably dull.

both with good moments here and there but, for the most part, dull.

the spark is gone.

i think it may have something to do with bob's scoliosis.

.

Anthony Pignataro

May 1, 2005, 12:39:04 PM5/1/05
I agree that it was a great show. Dylan was singing so clearly. There was no
problem figuring out what he was saying. He really took some care out there
with what he was doing. Each song was crafted very nicely. Shelter was a
real highlight. The sound crew some how got rid of the muddy mix of voice
and instruments that always seem to plague some Dylan shows The instruments
were there but distinctive and not overpowering Bob's voice. Bob wanted to
be heard last night. He didn't rush his words at all which was so nice! The
'song-song voice' did rear its ugly head from time to time, especially
during Tambourine Man, but it wasn't every lyric of every song.

One other thing I noticed. Some of the same folks who were working inside
the theatre were also trying to buy tickets outside the theatre before the
show from the people milling around. Is it possible that the Beacon was
trying to make some extra cash by reselling tickets at a premium?

Tony Pignataro

I did sort of chuckle during the piano solo. Some of the band members did
look a little perplexed as to what exactly was happening
<ps...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

number6

Apr 30, 2005, 12:56:11 PM4/30/05

anti-hallucinogenics aisle 8 ...

musicaner

Apr 30, 2005, 2:05:51 PM4/30/05

"tom ." <blin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
if the "SPARK' was those LOUD INCOMPREHENSIBLE TOURS then goobay

sweet magnolias

May 1, 2005, 1:55:55 PM5/1/05
such dylanology on this thread

I'm so impressed.....NOT

suffice it to say, Bob was VERY switched on last night, Saturday.

If You See Her Say Hello, Hollis Brown, Hattie Carroll, I Shall be
Released was Bob story telling at it's finest

High Water smoked

Lenny Bruce was great to see.

Bob looked especially sharp and focused.

It wasn't as good as Sunday at Boston, but not much is in general.

This was a solid tour.

Bill G

May 1, 2005, 3:51:07 PM5/1/05
In article <1114970155....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"sweet magnolias" <no...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> such dylanology on this thread
>
> I'm so impressed.....NOT

And of course, impressing you is what is most important around here.

NOT!

DREW

May 1, 2005, 9:00:10 PM5/1/05

I was lucky enough to see both the saw both Fri & Sat shows and as PSB
says, They were two of the best shows I've seen in many years.
I was afraid the band would sound too country, but was I wrong!
I'll remember these shows for quite awhile.
Drew.
p.s. Easiest place to sneak a doobie I've seen in some time!

Message has been deleted

Seth Kulick

May 1, 2005, 11:26:17 PM5/1/05
Seth Kulick (sku...@linc.cis.upenn.edu) wrote:

: At about 11:30 tonight or whenver, Peter will be saying, "that was a good

: show, but last night's was better".

I was off by about 15 minutes. It was 11:15

jdavis

May 2, 2005, 7:44:45 PM5/2/05
this has to be the worst discussion I've read in years...hehehe

Ya dont like dylan-don't go see him.

I caugth the show in Verona and was delighted...really enjoyed the
fiddle excursions...even the Haggard and Amos Lee

jefferson

On 30 Apr 2005 06:36:50 -0700, "musicaner" <musi...@hotmail.com>

declinedBeauty

May 3, 2005, 3:46:20 PM5/3/05
Thomas
´Eei...Du lyssnade inte med hjärtat, vi var där och var djupt
groovy, Bob var glad och bandet spelade helt tight! Det svängde fett!
Y´see ? /PM