Does Gordon Lightfoot connection qualify as Dylan content?

luisb...@aol.com

Jun 6, 2016, 12:16:49 AM6/6/16
There are some concerts that you just wish you could've been at.
(What a rude ass crowd)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z60VU2Nov_0

Dr_dudley

Jun 9, 2016, 3:36:35 AM6/9/16
Hey luisb,

I hope this finds you well.

Let me say this about that.

Gordon Lightfoot content is dylan related. period.

(also, i tried watching that NRBQ video, but couldn't)

First, we have from the Weberman Tapes, when AJ starts taunting bob as to who writes better songs than him, this exchange:

}
AW: Gordon Lightfoot ain't bad.
BD: Yeah, well, he's all right.
{

Of course, there is audio at least of Gordon's performances with the RTR, and perhaps video in R&C.

Then we have it, and who among us will ever forget bob inducting Gordon into the CMHF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AKz23pbOFg

And finally, we have a performance of Trisha Brown's Spanish Dance, performed to bob's cover of ItEMR:
Spanish Dance (TBDC Alumnae) 4:01
http://www.trishabrowncompany.org/?page=view&nr=1872

(my personal favourite performance of this piece, perhaps because of the "ripened on the vine" nature of the performers)

Hth,
rdd
___

Will Dockery

Jun 9, 2016, 11:42:57 PM6/9/16
On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 3:36:35 AM UTC-4, Dr_dudley wrote:
> On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 12:16:49 AM UTC-4, luisb...@aol.com wrote:
> > There are some concerts that you just wish you could've been at.
> > (What a rude ass crowd)
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z60VU2Nov_0
>
> Hey luisb,
>
> I hope this finds you well.
>
> Let me say this about that.
>
> Gordon Lightfoot content is dylan related. period.
>
> (also, i tried watching that NRBQ video, but couldn't)
>
> First, we have from the Weberman Tapes, when AJ starts taunting bob as to who writes better songs than him, this exchange:
>
> }
> AW: Gordon Lightfoot ain't bad.
> BD: Yeah, well, he's all right.
> {
>
> Of course, there is audio at least of Gordon's performances with the RTR, and perhaps video in R&C.

Gordon Lightfoot sang "Ballad In Plain D" in Renaldo and Clara, audio only I think, though.

BobbyM

Jun 10, 2016, 1:27:17 AM6/10/16
You can go much further back than that for Lightfoot and a Dylan song. He released "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" as a single in 1965. It didn't do very well but it did bring him to the attention of some Americans, myself included.

luisb...@aol.com

Jun 10, 2016, 3:44:32 AM6/10/16
I was saddened that Dudley couldn't access the NRBQ vid. It's so good.

BobbyM

Jun 10, 2016, 4:30:29 AM6/10/16
I wouldn't have booed, but I probably would have felt like it. If they
playing it as a parody, I didn't find it a bit funny. If they were
trying to play it straight, it failed pathetically. And I don't care if
the singer was having to read all of the words, that's no excuse for
whatever it was supposed to be. Now, mind you, I like NRBQ when they
play r&r.

Will Dockery

Jun 10, 2016, 4:34:20 AM6/10/16
On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 1:27:17 AM UTC-4, BobbyM wrote:
I never heard that, but sure would like to.

:)

Dr_dudley

Jun 10, 2016, 5:40:02 AM6/10/16
On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 3:44:32 AM UTC-4, luisb...@aol.com wrote:
> I was saddened that Dudley couldn't access the NRBQ vid. It's so good.

be of good cheer, luisb.

i could technologically, computerwise, access the video.

internally, i could not access the need or reason to watch it. did nothing for me.

i watched this instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TloSQdGOop8

___
and these

Taj Mahal - Cakewalk Into Town 1973
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPqGZNtXTE

Melanie Safka - Look What They've Done To My Song Ma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqg3kcwAgso
(IIRC, Really Real disliked her, comparing her to Pringles :-} )

Robert F. Kennedy's Martin Luther King Jr. Assassination Speech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCrx_u3825g

Pete Seeger: Ode to Joy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HOIyqXIc8Q
(none shall push aside another_

Colvin & Earle - Tell Moses (with interview)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ev_12xlsw
(water is wide, milk and honey on the other side)

New Lost City Ramblers - How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq4G0BOGEyE

Dr_dudley

Jun 10, 2016, 5:54:31 AM6/10/16

Will Dockery

Jun 10, 2016, 6:19:49 AM6/10/16
Okay, now I have to have a look.

:)

BobbyM

Jun 10, 2016, 9:31:37 AM6/10/16
Also, don't forget that Dylan covered Lightfoot's "Early Morning Rain"
on Self Portrait.

I much prefer Lightfoot's earlier folkier recordings such as that one
and "Did She Mention My Name" instead of the poppier "Sundown" & onward
period although many of those are good as well, "Old Dan's Records" in
particular.

luisb...@aol.com

Jun 10, 2016, 1:44:31 PM6/10/16
The really funny part is that when they come out for an encore, what do they do? Wreck of E. F.! lol

luisb...@aol.com

Jun 10, 2016, 1:47:53 PM6/10/16
"Roads go both ways." That's Heracliutus, yo!

BobbyM

Jun 10, 2016, 5:42:02 PM6/10/16
Odd would be a better word in that case, but funny works, too. However,
that would be the only think I'd find funny; the performance certainly
wasn't.

Rachel

Jun 10, 2016, 5:46:05 PM6/10/16
may i ask what wreck of e. f. is?

Rachel

Jun 10, 2016, 5:47:28 PM6/10/16
oh, i'm in the wrong thread.

never mind. (unless you don't mind...)

James Zadok

Jun 10, 2016, 5:59:38 PM6/10/16

Rachel

Jun 10, 2016, 6:58:26 PM6/10/16
oh.

thanks.

Will Dockery

Jun 10, 2016, 8:08:00 PM6/10/16
The Edmond Fitzgerald ship, great song.

Rachel

Jun 10, 2016, 8:20:14 PM6/10/16
so fitzgerald built ships, too? ;-)

i guess that song is true, then! (everybody building their big ships and big boats, some are building monuments, others are jotting down notes, everybody's in despair, every girl and boy, but when quinn the eskimo gets here, everybody's gonna jump for joy!)( sorry i couldn't stop, boy do i feel stupid! :-/ :-)?)

somebody save me from myself!!!

Will Dockery

Jun 11, 2016, 12:35:11 PM6/11/16
I read the story online a while back but I don't remember how the ship came to be called Edmond Fitzgerald.

Just Walkin'

Jun 11, 2016, 1:04:14 PM6/11/16
On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 11:35:11 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Friday, June 10
Northwestern, the owner of the ship, named the ship after its president and chairman of the board, Edmund Fitzgerald.

Will Dockery

May 9, 2023, 1:23:34 PM5/9/23
Thanks man, sorry it took this long to find this.

Good read about Gordon Lightfoot:

https://www.talkhouse.com/robbie-fulks-dives-headfirst-into-the-strangely-messy-world-of-gordon-lightfoot/