Help me find this song - "Fat is In"

Glenn Brensinger

Jan 10, 2003, 11:11:01 PM1/10/03
Many years ago... (like, in the 1988-89 timeframe) when I used to tape the Dr
Demento show from Q-100 in Allentown PA, the DJ would occasionally play
demented songs between segments of Dr Demento to fill time. One such song was
called "Fat is In." I used to have it on tape, but the tape has long since
degraded (cheap K-Mart crap...) and I have never heard the song again. Has
anyone ever heard it, and can they possibly suggest a place to find it? It
was a hysterical rap-type song, and surprisingly, I can remember most of the
words.

It starts out with a guy talking, saying something like, "The other day,
someone even had the nerve to call me a big fat tub of goo. Well, this is
Terry Forrester, saying, we're not gonna take it anymore. From now on, Fat is
IN!"

Chocolate Cone! Chocolate Cone! Chocolate Cone!

We got a brand new time when fat is fine
Where being overeweight is a real good time
Eat what you want, don't exercise
Cause nothing turns me on like cellulite thighs

I did a search of the Demento Playlists, and the only match I could find is a
song by the Love Handles, but it was only played once, in 1985. Is this the
same song? Searching the web for The Love Handles brings up a British band
that doesn't look to be the same thing.

Glenn
(Who amazes himself that he can remember stuff like this but continuously
forgets his anniversary...)

Jeff Morris

Jan 12, 2003, 11:55:56 AM1/12/03
Glenn Brensinger <gl...@DIESPAMMERSDIEthe-nest.com> wrote:
>One such song was called "Fat is In."
>[...]

>We got a brand new time when fat is fine
>Where being overeweight is a real good time
>Eat what you want, don't exercise
>Cause nothing turns me on like cellulite thighs
>
>I did a search of the Demento Playlists, and the only match I could find is a
>song by the Love Handles, but it was only played once, in 1985. Is this the
>same song? Searching the web for The Love Handles brings up a British band
>that doesn't look to be the same thing.

I'm pretty sure the song on 85-24 is the one you're looking for, though
I don't think the people who did that record are a British band.

Glenn Brensinger

Jan 12, 2003, 4:15:17 PM1/12/03
On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:55:56 +0000 (UTC), jbmo...@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff
Morris) wrote:

>I'm pretty sure the song on 85-24 is the one you're looking for, though
>I don't think the people who did that record are a British band.

I think you're right - the British Blues band I found on the web was formed
very recently. Unfortunately, I can find no record at all of the "Love
Handles" that did "Fat is In." They appear to be a "one hit wonder," perhaps
formed to do that one song. I've searched the web (finding millions of
references to dieting services,) as well as the file sharing networks, and
have had zero luck.

Glenn

Charles A. Kunz

Jan 12, 2003, 8:28:52 PM1/12/03
On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:11:01 -0500, Glenn Brensinger
<gl...@DIESPAMMERSDIEthe-nest.com> wrote:

>Many years ago... (like, in the 1988-89 timeframe) when I used to tape the Dr
>Demento show from Q-100 in Allentown PA, the DJ would occasionally play
>demented songs between segments of Dr Demento to fill time. One such song was
>called "Fat is In." I used to have it on tape, but the tape has long since
>degraded (cheap K-Mart crap...) and I have never heard the song again. Has
>anyone ever heard it, and can they possibly suggest a place to find it? It
>was a hysterical rap-type song, and surprisingly, I can remember most of the
>words.
>
>It starts out with a guy talking, saying something like, "The other day,
>someone even had the nerve to call me a big fat tub of goo. Well, this is
>Terry Forrester, saying, we're not gonna take it anymore. From now on, Fat is
>IN!"
>
>Chocolate Cone! Chocolate Cone! Chocolate Cone!
>
>We got a brand new time when fat is fine
>Where being overeweight is a real good time
>Eat what you want, don't exercise
>Cause nothing turns me on like cellulite thighs

I remember hearing this song, too, but not on Dr. Demento. I remember
hearing it on WSPK (K-104) in Poughkeepsie, NY. It was sometime in 1985,
and there were other lyrics to it that I remember:

Fat is in, stuff your face and don't be thin

Then there were the corny jokes at the end:

My man is soooo fat, when he sits around the house, I sit with him.

Terry Forrester was some baseball player, I think, don't remember which team
he played for.

Chuck

Dr. Chuck Network <http://www.drchuck.net/>

Glenn Brensinger

Jan 14, 2003, 9:33:27 AM1/14/03
On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:28:52 -0500, Charles A. Kunz <drc...@i-2000.com>
wrote:

>Fat is in, stuff your face and don't be thin

Put on weight and shout out loud, I alone can be a crowd!!

That's the one. I dug out the tape, and transplanted the guts into a new tape
case so it is once again playable. Unfortunately, I don't own a tape player
with a line out, so I can't cut it to MP3 format. The first few seconds of
the opening is missing, and the end has the "Q-100" station identifier over
it.

Through some e-mailes exchanged with Jeff Morris, I found out that there are
two versions of this song. The one that was played on Dr Demento appears to
be a "demo" version. I am guessing that the Love Handles redid the song,
added the "Terry Forrester" intro, jazzed it up with more instruments, changed
the words a bit, and passed it around to several radio stations. Then they
disappeared. Since the only two stations (that we know of) to have played it
are PA and NY, I am guessing that the Love Handles were based in the northeast
somewhere.

I've called the station that used to be Q-100, but they've changed formats
four times since then (they are Hawk 99.9 now) and I really wasn't expecting
them to still have a copy 15 years later. Their programming director gave me
the e-mail address of one of their former engineers, who is big on 80's music
and novelty tunes, and might be able help me, but I am not holding my breath.

The search goes on...

Glenn

Tim Ryan

Jan 14, 2003, 11:49:30 AM1/14/03
I seen a video of this, with Terry Forester (what woke up the brain
cells) and probably have it on video tape, now buried. Probably also
covered up with the intro/outro for Nightflight on USA.

-Tim Ryan

"Glenn Brensinger" wrote ...

> On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:28:52 -0500, Charles A.

Rob Killam

Jan 15, 2003, 11:09:15 PM1/15/03
Terry Forster was a relief pitcher for the Atlanta Braves for a while in the
mid '80's. I don't remember the other teams he pitched for, but I do
remember David Letterman referring to him as a "fat tub of goo".

Dementedly yours

Rob

Charles A. Kunz <drc...@i-2000.com> wrote in

talllean...@yahoo.com

Feb 6, 2013, 4:17:49 PM2/6/13
Double chins are tons of fun
On the beach you block the sun

Carbohydrates are the key
Eat a lot and you'll agree

Now, a lot of people think that getting big is bad
That Jackie Gleason, Orson Welles are really sad...

Yeah, too bad you only heard the song. I have a vhs of Bob Uecker's Wacky World of Sports 2 which contains the music video of that song. It is the best. Don't forget to check out Haji The Turbin Cowboy on there.

glennbr...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2014, 4:00:06 PM1/17/14
Oddly enough I remembered the song today and was searching once again for it... came across this ancient thread. Now that Google has caught up with the rest of the world I found tons more references, including a YouTube clip of the Letterman "Big fat tub of goo" comment.

Jeff Morris

Jan 18, 2014, 10:53:08 AM1/18/14
In the meantime, I found out that one of the versions is on an LP called Fat Is In by The Comedy Works. There it's credited to Terry Forster & The Lovehandles.

vic...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2015, 9:12:19 AM12/10/15
lol..for some strange reason the song Fat Is In popped in my head this morning and I'm a google nerd so i googled it just to see what was online about it and found this 12 year old thread. I too heard it on the Dr. Demento show back in the mid/late 80's on Q100 when we moved from NJ to the Poconos. I dont know why i recorded the station flip from Q100 to Hot 99.9 back in the day too.

Another Dr. Demento fav was the guy ordering from the drive through..AND A LAAAAAARE OOORRRAANNNGE DRINK....DRINK!!..>DRINK!!!!! I WANT A DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER, ONION RINGS AND A LARGE ORANGE DRINK!!!

scmk...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2016, 1:26:53 PM2/28/16
I know this is an old thread, but I too was thinking about this song. It can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8v9ylKRATA

vic...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2016, 11:00:21 PM3/7/16
On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 1:26:53 PM UTC-5, scmk...@gmail.com wrote:
> I know this is an old thread, but I too was thinking about this song. It can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8v9ylKRATA

lol..nice find.

jakesp...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2016, 6:01:56 PM4/22/16
Song was on an old vhs tape of bob euckers wacky world of sports.

Glenn Brensinger

Feb 7, 2023, 10:43:34 AM2/7/23
On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 9:12:19 AM UTC-5, vic...@gmail.com wrote:
> lol..for some strange reason the song Fat Is In popped in my head this morning and I'm a google nerd so i googled it just to see what was online about it and found this 12 year old thread. I too heard it on the Dr. Demento show back in the mid/late 80's on Q100 when we moved from NJ to the Poconos. I dont know why i recorded the station flip from Q100 to Hot 99.9 back in the day too.

When they played “Some like it Hot” for 24 hours straight? I remember that…