Song about a D.I.

Hugo

Mar 9, 2022, 6:44:45 PM3/9/22
Does anyone remember the name of a song about a D.I. that Dr. D played on his KMET show in the earearly 80s? It was a guy talking about his drill instructor. I remember a few lines:

- He was a kid, about 24, you know, the bully next door
- Every morning, in the dark, you can hear us bark about 4:00 AM, good morning SGT
- Pick up that gun, we’re gonna have some fun, about 5 miles a day
- 5 miles I say, gun, this must be a cannon, it weighs a ton

Jeff Morris

Mar 12, 2022, 10:06:28 AM3/12/22
Could it be "D.I., D.I." by Dick Murphy played on this show?
http://dmdb.org/cgi-bin/plinfo.pl?drd81l.0823.html

It was also played in syndication 3 weeks later, as often happened:
http://dmdb.org/cgi-bin/plinfo.pl?drd81.0913.html

Hugo

Mar 12, 2022, 4:45:44 PM3/12/22
THAT WAS IT! I have been looking for it for about 33 years. I must have missed it in the database. Thanks!

Hugo

Mar 12, 2022, 8:31:00 PM3/12/22

Jeff Morris

Mar 13, 2022, 7:42:58 AM3/13/22
Wonderful! Glad I could help. You'd likely have had to search for the exact title to have found it. I need to add additional data so that it returns if you search for drill instructor as well.