Info wanted - Spliceway to Heaven

Charles A Kunz

Sep 18, 1990, 3:01:54 PM9/18/90
Okay, here's a real challenge. Has anyone heard of or know how I can get a
copy of "Stairway to Heaven" by the Splice of Life Faculty? I only heard it
twice on Dr. Demento, once in 1984 and once in 1985. Any info on the
whereabouts of this song will be greatly appreciated.

-Chuck

Tom Rombouts

Sep 19, 1990, 12:55:06 PM9/19/90

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my impression that many of the
"unreleased tapes" that Dr. D plays are unreleased for the very
reason that they CAN NOT be released due to legal reasons. (In this
case, it would surprise me greatly if the Splice of Life Faculty had
negotiated royalty agreements with the copyright holders of the 30
or so song snippets that it must contain!) As I have learned over
the years, it is best to tape record Dr. D whenever you can because
you never know for sure if you will ever hear one of his songs again.
(Excluding "Existential Blues"! :-) SEMI-FLAME: The 80/20 rule
applied to Dr. D would suggest that 20% of the songs provide 80%
of the air time. Is it just me, or do others agree that 95/5 would
be a closer figure for the funny five? END OF SEMI-FLAME)

FORBIDDEN DEMENTIA: (new thread) Sort of relating to the above, what are
some of the songs that have been "banned" from Dr. D over the years?

Supposedly, Dr. D has announced that he can no longer play "Penis
Envy" by Uncle Bonsai.

A few years back, I remember one final playing of "I had sex with
E.T." (Was it by Barnes and Barnes? "I had sex with Santa" was great!)

And, about three years ago in the funny 25 for the year, I remember
one song that made it into the top 25 that he could only play about
30 garbled seconds of due to legal reasons.

(BTW, living in the El Lay area, I usually hear the "live" version of
the Dr. D show on KLSX 97.1, which is certainly more informal than
the "national" version.)

Any other long-time dementites care to add to this list? Or how
about novelty songs that have been banned from local stations?
(Sinead O'Connor does not count! :-) )

Tom Rombouts Torrance Techie to...@ashtate.A-T.com V:(213)538-7108

Larry Hastings

Sep 19, 1990, 6:57:05 PM9/19/90

+-In article <12...@ashton.UUCP>,

| to...@ashton.UUCP (Tom Rombouts) wrote:
|
| A few years back, I remember one final playing of "I had sex with
| E.T." (Was it by Barnes and Barnes? "I had sex with Santa" was great!)

+----------

There were lots of those songs... I have a tape of a Dr. D show where he
played "I Had Sex With Pac-Man"... pretty darn funny.

On a related topic, I remember years ago a song played on Dr. D called
"The Maniacs Vs. The Brainiacs"... and that's about all I remember about it,
except that I liked it. Anyone have any clues?
--
larry hastings, the galactic funkster, fun...@ucscb.ucsc.edu

I don't speak for Knowledge Dynamics or UC Santa Cruz, nor do they speak for me

"You may remember I died suffocating on my own vomit. That was a bummer of a
way to go." --Keith Moon (ex-Who drummer) through a "channeler" from the "Sun"

Steve Schoch

Sep 19, 1990, 7:25:25 PM9/19/90

|> And, about three years ago in the funny 25 for the year, I remember
|> one song that made it into the top 25 that he could only play about
|> 30 garbled seconds of due to legal reasons.

The song was "We are the Worms", a parody of "We are the World". As I
remember, the song used some clever mixing techniques to actually use the
"We are the World" recording and insert their own lead vocal track.

Steve

Marian, Madam Librarian

Sep 19, 1990, 11:07:31 PM9/19/90

"Mr. Bill" was banned for a while and eventually
re-written so it no longer used to music to "Mr.
Blue." I thought the change really blew the song.
Sigh.
--

c2h...@ucscb.ucsc.edu | "How many times have I not offered
| to be a sister to you" -
| "Seventeen" said Bernard.

key bounce

Feb 28, 2022, 8:21:19 PM2/28/22
On Wednesday, September 19, 1990 at 3:57:05 PM UTC-7, Larry Hastings wrote:

> On a related topic, I remember years ago a song played on Dr. D called
> "The Maniacs Vs. The Brainiacs"... and that's about all I remember about it,
> except that I liked it. Anyone have any clues?

Oh I loved that.

"Just look at the Brainiacs
They're hiring Mainiacs
To fight the Maniacs
That are fighting the Brainiacs"

Summed up what I thought of war: "big brains" hiring tough guys with guns to fight tough guys with guns that want to take out the big brain guys.

See also: "Some Things Never Change" by Devo.

(Yes, this is a 31.5 year bump. So? :-)

Eli Neman

Mar 9, 2022, 10:21:57 PM3/9/22
On Monday, February 28, 2022 at 8:21:19 PM UTC-5, key bounce wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 19, 1990 at 3:57:05 PM UTC-7, Larry Hastings wrote:
>
> > On a related topic, I remember years ago a song played on Dr. D called
> > "The Maniacs Vs. The Brainiacs"... and that's about all I remember about it,
> > except that I liked it. Anyone have any clues?

I think the song you are thinking of is Maniac vs Brainiac by Marc Wirtz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7IT9YHIK_M