Who said...?

Toni C. Holm

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95

I have a friend who is trying to settle a bet. Can anyone help...
Who said
"I put the cunt in country"?
They are debating whether its was Rosanne Cash or Carlene Carter.
This is not meant to offend anyone, but is actually a serious question. if
you can definitively answer this question please e-mail me at t...@well.com
as I am not on the list very often. Thanks so much!!!

l-h...@maroon.tc.umn.edu

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
to t...@well.sf.ca.us
On 16 Aug 1995 21:57:04 GMT,

Oh wow, bad quote -- so bad, that could it perhaps have been Tanya Tucker??

Lori *Don't judge a woman until you've walked
a mile in her open-toed, sling-back,
l-h...@maroon.tc.umn.edu spike-heeled, platform pumps.*

Jari Vuonos

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
l-h...@maroon.tc.umn.edu (l-h...@maroon.tc.umn.edu) wrote:
: On 16 Aug 1995 21:57:04 GMT,
: Toni C. Holm <t...@well.sf.ca.us> wrote:

: >
: >I have a friend who is trying to settle a bet. Can anyone help...
: >Who said
: > "I put the cunt in country"?
: >They are debating whether its was Rosanne Cash or Carlene Carter.

: Oh wow, bad quote -- so bad, that could it perhaps have been Tanya Tucker??

: Lori *Don't judge a woman until you've walked
: a mile in her open-toed, sling-back,
: l-h...@maroon.tc.umn.edu spike-heeled, platform pumps.*

It actually was Carlene Carter.

--
---
Jari Vuonos Phone: +358 0 862542

Mark Entwistle

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
In article <40tpjg$c...@nkosi.well.com> t...@well.sf.ca.us "Toni C. Holm" writes:

> I have a friend who is trying to settle a bet. Can anyone help...
> Who said
> "I put the cunt in country"?
> They are debating whether its was Rosanne Cash or Carlene Carter.

It was Carlene Carter back in the late Seventies, and she was introducing
the song 'Swap-Meat Rag' in New York. The exact quote was "If this song
doesn't put the cunt back into country, nothing will".

I'm not sure who took it out, but there you go. The song is on the
'Two Sides To Every Woman' album, for those people who want to find out
what she was talking about. And she was awarded the 'Quote of the Year'
by Playboy magazine in 1979.

The quote was, er, appropriated by Scottish comedian Billy Connolly, and
he used it to introduce his parody of 'D.I.V.O.R.C.E.' for a while.

> If you can definitively answer this question please e-mail me at
> t...@well.com

Done.

Mark Entwistle

Toby Hughes

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
On 19 Aug 1995, Jari Vuonos wrote:

> : >
> : >I have a friend who is trying to settle a bet. Can anyone help...

> : >Who said
> : > "I put the cunt in country"?
> : >They are debating whether its was Rosanne Cash or Carlene Carter.
>

> : Oh wow, bad quote -- so bad, that could it perhaps have been Tanya Tucker??
>

> It actually was Carlene Carter.

It's an Urban Legend around the Country Music community, and is indeed
atrributed to Carlene. It supposedly was said during a live performance,
while CC was still with her English rocker, and Johnny and June were in
the audience. Neither were real enthusiastic about the remark.

TH

JDHaw...@comcast.net

Apr 16, 2018, 12:02:55 PM4/16/18
I was Carlene Carter.
She was married to Nick Lowe at the time and I remember think it was hilarious!

mikethew...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2018, 5:50:54 PM11/18/18
It was tanya tucker on country music awards and she also flipped up her dress at the same time with no panties on! And her father, her major prompter,in the audience. And her words were "I put the cunt back in country" I just happened to be watching the show when it happened.

scottunde...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2019, 11:19:53 AM6/30/19
It was Roseanne Cash, and she is the one that sang it at a live performance and Johhny and June were in the audience and they actually walked out.