Music That Means Something

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Barbara Sherrill

unread,
Jan 22, 2003, 8:24:43 PM1/22/03
to
Okay the debate about the Red White and Blue has come up once again. Just
like it does every few weeks. Of ALL of the songs that are out there, not
including the National Anthem. What are the ones that touched your life?

My List Is:

Where Were You .....Alan Jackson
Stars and Stripes Where the Eagle Fly's ....Aaron Tippin
Living In the Promise Land.... Willie
America ( think that is what it's called).... Waylon

now what is yours.... lets hear it.


Trisha Yearwood fan

unread,
Jan 22, 2003, 7:42:47 PM1/22/03
to
Some Gave All...Billy Ray Cyrus

____________________________________________________________________
"Few artists reach the standards set by Trisha Yearwood"--The 40 Greatest Women
in Country Music

HoLy*Chapin.Luvr

unread,
Jan 22, 2003, 8:11:56 PM1/22/03
to
My list:

Late for Your Life - Mary Chapin Carpenter
Where Were You - Alan Jackson
God Bless The USA - Lee Greenwood
Why Walk When You Can Fly - Mary Chapin Carpenter
Keeping The Faith - Mary Chapin Carpenter

Min L Shaw

unread,
Jan 22, 2003, 10:24:44 PM1/22/03
to
>America ( think that is what it's called).... Waylon

That is indeed the title, and that song kicks ass. One of the best recordings
Waylon ever had, if you ask me (which you haven't).

Otherwise, I've also always been fond of "America The Beautiful" (I don't care
who sings it, I've always liked the lyrics. Willie made me swell with pride
and a sense of comfort when he sang it at the benefit show in 2001.)

I'm also a big fan of Brooks & Dunn's "Only In America." I liked the sound of
the song, the lyrics, the message. I also especially like that this song was
written and recorded long before September 11th; to me, that it was just a song
that Kix and Don Cook wrote from the heart gives the song a quality
of...genuine appreciation? I guess that phrase'll do, since I can't think of a
better one.

Oh, and George Strait's "Heartland" makes me feel good everytime I hear it,
too. :)

The Rooster

unread,
Jan 22, 2003, 11:21:19 PM1/22/03
to
Song For America - Kansas


Stan,
'Steers and Stripes' - Brooks & Dunn, eh?
+- +- +- +-
"Barbara Sherrill" <bshe...@pdq.net> wrote in message
news:450A159B5ADDE6EE.0F331C2D...@lp.airnews.net...

Barbara Sherrill

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 1:21:40 AM1/23/03
to

"Min L Shaw" <minl...@aol.com2> wrote in message

>
> Oh, and George Strait's "Heartland" makes me feel good everytime I hear
it,
> too. :)

You would love to live where my mom lives. Over 20 miles outside of San
Angelo Texas in the middle of No Where West Texas. Strait, team ropes with
the guy that lives a quarter of a mile from her. She said everyone knows
when Strait is near by the helicopter is a dead give away. Back to my
thought and you... Being way out there in the middle of no where, everyone
waves to the other as they are driving by. It is the coolest thing and if
you don't wave out there then you are considered rude and inconsiderate. My
daughter has become a pro at driving and doing the one finger wave with her
index finger. It does make you feel good, you tend to forget your troubles
when a stranger offers you a friendly smile and wave.

I think about Heartland everytime I go visit momma, it is sooo true.


The Rooster

unread,
Jan 22, 2003, 11:29:34 PM1/22/03
to
> Oh, and George Strait's "Heartland" makes me feel good everytime I hear
it,
> too. :)

'X Cross +- The Hearland' - Pat Metheny Group


Min L Shaw

unread,
Jan 22, 2003, 11:36:46 PM1/22/03
to
>You would love to live where my mom lives. Over 20 miles outside of San
>Angelo Texas in the middle of No Where West Texas. Strait, team ropes with
>the guy that lives a quarter of a mile from her. She said everyone knows
>when Strait is near by the helicopter is a dead give away. Back to my
>thought and you... Being way out there in the middle of no where, everyone
>waves to the other as they are driving by. It is the coolest thing and if
>you don't wave out there then you are considered rude and inconsiderate. My
>daughter has become a pro at driving and doing the one finger wave with her
>index finger. It does make you feel good, you tend to forget your troubles
>when a stranger offers you a friendly smile and wave.
>
>I think about Heartland everytime I go visit momma, it is sooo true.

And that, to me, is what it's all about, right there. George Strait or no
George Strait, there's something that feels good about waving to people when
driving by them (or when they drive by you). It's such a simple gesture, takes
no effort at all, and yet, it can just change the feeling of a drive. I
especially like the slower version of the song he sings with his son to open
the movie (or close the soundtrack album). I really like that last verse a
lot..."There's a place where mornings are an endless blue/and you feel Mother
Nature walk along with you/Simple people, livin' side by side/still wave to
their neighbors as they're driving by/Sing a song about the Heartland, sing a
song about my life." We should all be so blessed!

brit_am

unread,
Jan 22, 2003, 11:40:03 PM1/22/03
to

Barbara Sherrill <bshe...@pdq.net> wrote in message
news:450A159B5ADDE6EE.0F331C2D...@lp.airnews.net...

That Waylon song is my favourite of the lot.

Jeff Wall

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 12:21:27 AM1/23/03
to
In article <20030122222444...@mb-ci.aol.com>, minl...@aol.com2 (Min L Shaw) wrote:
>>America ( think that is what it's called).... Waylon
>
>That is indeed the title, and that song kicks ass. One of the best recordings
>Waylon ever had, if you ask me (which you haven't).
>
originally done by Los Lobos

Min L Shaw

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 12:21:58 AM1/23/03
to
>>>America ( think that is what it's called).... Waylon

>originally done by Los Lobos

I keep forgetting that. They say great music knows no boundaries...!

Barbara Sherrill

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 3:19:20 AM1/23/03
to

"Min L Shaw" <minl...@aol.com2> wrote in message
news:20030122233646...@mb-ci.aol.com...

Okay Min we need to go visit my mother! You would love it there!


Jeff Jones

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 10:47:13 AM1/23/03
to

"Barbara Sherrill" <bshe...@pdq.net> wrote in message
news:450A159B5ADDE6EE.0F331C2D...@lp.airnews.net...

Imagine by John Lennon
This Land is Your Land by Woody Guthrie
Universal Soldier by Buffy St. Marie
An American Trilogy by Mickey Newbury
I Ain't Marching Anymore by Phil Ochs
To Live is To Fly by Townes Van Zandt

Jeff Jones
Austin, Texas
aa #2044


Coop

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 11:09:17 AM1/23/03
to

Min L Shaw wrote:

> Otherwise, I've also always been fond of "America The Beautiful" (I don't care
> who sings it, I've always liked the lyrics. Willie made me swell with pride
> and a sense of comfort when he sang it at the benefit show in 2001.)
>

Ray Charles does the best version of that I ever heard.

Coop

edward ohare

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 11:25:04 AM1/23/03
to
On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:24:43 -0800, "Barbara Sherrill"
<bshe...@pdq.net> wrote:

>Okay the debate about the Red White and Blue has come up once again. Just
>like it does every few weeks. Of ALL of the songs that are out there, not
>including the National Anthem.


What! Why, I particularly -like- "The Baseball/Football Song". <g>


> What are the ones that touched your life?
>
>My List Is:
>
>Where Were You .....Alan Jackson


That's it. I've not been around long enough for the rest.


--
"This day in US military history" is a regular feature
of us.military.history. Please visit soon!

Barbara Sherrill

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 1:40:13 PM1/23/03
to

"edward ohare" <edward...@NOSPAMyahoo.com.INVALID> wrote in message
news:3e3016f...@news.alt.net...

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:24:43 -0800, "Barbara Sherrill"
> <bshe...@pdq.net> wrote:
>
> >Okay the debate about the Red White and Blue has come up once again. Just
> >like it does every few weeks. Of ALL of the songs that are out there, not
> >including the National Anthem.
>
>
> What! Why, I particularly -like- "The Baseball/Football Song". <g>
>
>
> > What are the ones that touched your life?
> >
> >My List Is:
> >
> >Where Were You .....Alan Jackson
>
>
> That's it. I've not been around long enough for the rest.
>
>

Go find America by Waylon. You will be totally blown away


edward ohare

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 11:43:54 AM1/23/03
to
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:40:13 -0800, "Barbara Sherrill"
<bshe...@pdq.net> wrote:


>Go find America by Waylon. You will be totally blown away


People here have been real good about recommending stuff... and
usually right about knowing the differences between OK, good, and
really good. Uh.... payday is splurge day. <G>

Min L Shaw

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 12:36:36 PM1/23/03
to
>>Go find America by Waylon. You will be totally blown away

You can get it on the 2-disc RCA Country Legends Waylon set. It's also on The
Essential Waylon Jennings CD; so far as I'm aware, the original album is long
out of print. I recommend them both; each has selections not available on the
other, though, obviously, the 2-disc set has more. Both have fairly well
composed informative booklets, although I think there's more to the Essential
booklet.

edward ohare

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 1:48:30 PM1/23/03
to


See! That's what I meant.

Wanna know, just ask.

Lou West

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 2:56:53 PM1/23/03
to
Some that I am fond of:

-America the Beautiful, both with the John Wayne monologue and the Ray
Charles version
-Ragged Old Flag
-Proud to be an American

"Barbara Sherrill" <bshe...@pdq.net> wrote in message
news:450A159B5ADDE6EE.0F331C2D...@lp.airnews.net...

Barbara Sherrill

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 5:02:38 PM1/23/03
to
Edward you are in the best place to get your classical education in country
music!


allthisjoy

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 4:10:54 PM1/23/03
to
One of my favorites. Love "The Essential Waylon Jennings" CD that "America" is
on, too.

Best,
Dot
==========

Barbara Sherrill wrote:

===========

chlban

unread,
Jan 23, 2003, 10:16:31 PM1/23/03
to
>Ray Charles does the best version of that I ever heard.
>
>Coop
>

Absolutely.

allthisjoy

unread,
Jan 25, 2003, 12:05:52 AM1/25/03
to
I totally agree.

Best,
Dot
=========

Ann

unread,
Jan 25, 2003, 1:38:27 PM1/25/03
to
"Barbara Sherrill" <bshe...@pdq.net> wrote in message news:<450A159B5ADDE6EE.0F331C2D...@lp.airnews.net>...

"We Shall Be Free" - Garth Brooks

~Ann~

HoLy*Chapin.Luvr

unread,
Jan 25, 2003, 1:38:29 PM1/25/03
to
On 25 Jan 2003 10:38:27 -0800, Garth_FA...@hotmail.com (Ann)
wrote:

>
>"We Shall Be Free" - Garth Brooks
>


ah yes

and reba's song 'what if we could change things'

...


~^Johnny^~

unread,
Jan 28, 2003, 7:52:08 PM1/28/03
to
On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:24:43 -0800, "Barbara Sherrill"
<bshe...@pdq.net> wrote:

>Okay the debate about the Red White and Blue has come up once again. Just
>like it does every few weeks. Of ALL of the songs that are out there, not
>including the National Anthem. What are the ones that touched your life?
>
>My List Is:
>
>Where Were You .....Alan Jackson
>Stars and Stripes Where the Eagle Fly's ....Aaron Tippin
>Living In the Promise Land.... Willie
>America ( think that is what it's called).... Waylon
>
>now what is yours.... lets hear it.
>


Americana - Moe Bandy
Ragged Old Flag - Jody Miller
America - Waylon Jennings
My Little Town - Paul Simon
America Is - Marie Osmond
Ballad Of The Green Berets - Barry Sadler
The House I Live In - Mahalia Jackson
The Battle Of New Orleans - Johnny Horton


--
-john


~~~~~~~~
Sometimes I worry about being a success in a
mediocre world. -Lily Tomlin
~~~~~~~~

~^Johnny^~

unread,
Jan 28, 2003, 7:52:08 PM1/28/03
to
On 23 Jan 2003 03:24:44 GMT, minl...@aol.com2 (Min L Shaw) wrote:

>>America ( think that is what it's called).... Waylon
>
>That is indeed the title, and that song kicks ass. One of the best recordings
>Waylon ever had, if you ask me (which you haven't).

And one of the best videos of all time, too.
IRMC.

--
-john


~~~~~~
"Smith did such an impressive job you expected Twain
to give her the hook at any moment"
-Larry Pynn, Vancouver Sun.
~~~~~~

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages