What is the deal with young country

z_mccu...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Jun 21, 1994, 10:11:32 PM6/21/94
I WANT to know what happen to the good old country music
I do not like most of the new country I think new country is very
weak and lack excitement. All the new country songs sound the same
nothing stands out. And all these new artist do not make it
past one hit and I do not want to waste my time to buy their CD's

ANd then there is young country people remaking classic song like the other
day I heard "Don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys" remaked it was
gross and the whole remake of Eagles that is even grosser. I am going to see
The Eagle in Houston
I just do not understand.

New Singer I do enjoy is Rick Trevino (good old boy from Austin
area[yes])

Before yall get all over me I listen to the country radio most of the day
I do not have a TV. Second, I was raised on country music. Third, I am
an agriculture major. Fourth, I HATE GARTH BROOKS he is fake(rock star pretty
boy/jerk) and George Strait did a great job making fun of Garth in Pure Country

Christine Ada McCulloch

F.L Petersen

Jun 22, 1994, 1:08:09 AM6/22/94
In article <1994Jun21...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu>,
z_mccu...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu wrote:

> I WANT to know what happen to the good old country music

> And all these new artist do not make it
> past one hit and I do not want to waste my time to buy their CD's
>

> ANd then there is young country people remaking classic songs

> Before yall get all over me I listen to the country radio most of the day
> I do not have a TV. Second, I was raised on country music. Third, I am
> an agriculture major. Fourth, I HATE GARTH BROOKS he is fake(rock star pretty
> boy/jerk) and George Strait did a great job making fun of Garth in Pure Country
>
> Christine Ada McCulloch

Christine Darlin' I think you an I aughta talk....drop me a line. E-mail
below!
--
"Told ya so..."

peter...@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu

R E Baker-Self

Jun 22, 1994, 9:52:46 AM6/22/94
Just a little comment......
I listen to the sort of music I listen to because _I_ like it. I don't
really care what other people call it, its just that not everyone could
call it 'the sort of music Bob likes'. The common opinion has it that a
bit of TSOMBL is called Country or New Country. I like most of it. I like
talking about it. Here in the UK there aren't many people with similar
music tastes so I read a newsgroup which discusses, at least in part,
some of the music I like. Other things it discusses I don't like, but
common opinion has them as Country too, so I put up with it, as we can't
all have individual newsgroups.
I personally like MCC , Suzy Bogguss, Garth Brooks, Southern
Pacific and Trisha Yearwood, amongst others. I don't see Southern Pacific
discussed too much here. I don't really mind. If they were discussed I
may contribute. I don't really like reading people launching blistering
and subjective attacks on other, perfectly legitamate 'branches' of the
sort of music that fits into their tastes, just becuse they don't like it.
Thank you

| | |
| "I sometimes think the difference | R.E.Baker-Self |
| is just in how I think and feel | @durham.ac.uk |
| And the only changes going on | |
| Are just going on in me" | |
| | |

Jan Ekeland

Jun 22, 1994, 2:51:44 PM6/22/94
> I HATE GARTH BROOKS he is fake....

I wouldn't say it so strong that as I hate him, but I've never understood
what makes this fellow so popular. I've only seen him on TV, running
around and up and down. Some kind of a performance, but not what I would
classify as a REAL country-artist. I prefer the kind of country I get
from Willie Nelsen, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson,
Emmylou Harris, and so on. Kris might be a kind of 'off-country' or
whatever you call it, but his an excellent songwriter and singer - just
think about Me and Bobby McGee, Help me make it through the night,
Sunday morning comming down, Loving her was easier (than anything I'll
ever do again), For the good times - and a lot more his written.
And Emmylou can make country of whatever she sings - it just becomes
country comming from her.

Since I'm from another part of the world than US I haven't the same
possibillities to listen to country the way most of you have - but I
did visit Austin last Easter. It probably wasn't the right time the
few days I were there - I didn't hear anything that impressed me.
I liked the place though, so I might be comming back sooner or later
for another stay at Driskill. Everything I've Heard about Austin
tells me I have to give it another chance...:-)

Jan.

Jan Ekeland, | jeke...@bbb.no |
Boelum, | J_EK...@BBB1.BBB.NO | One day at a time,
3073 Galleberg, | ja...@winix.no | and not too fast -
Norway. | j...@amanda.bbb.no | until forever...

Keith Smith

Jun 22, 1994, 2:06:00 PM6/22/94
In article <2u9fnf$i...@mercury.dur.ac.uk>, R E Baker-Self <R.E.Bak...@durham.ac.uk> writes:
) From: R E Baker-Self <R.E.Bak...@durham.ac.uk>
) Subject: Re: What is the deal with young country
) Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 06:52:46 PDT
)
[...]
) -------------------------------------------------------------
) | | |
) | "I sometimes think the difference | R.E.Baker-Self |
) | is just in how I think and feel | @durham.ac.uk |
) | And the only changes going on | |
) | Are just going on in me" | |
) | | |
) -------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think I could have said it better myself. I have grown up
listening to country and like both the new and the old. It seems to
me that a lot of the people who contribute here are rather short
sighted and refuse to give new artists a fair chance. Like anything
else in life, country music evolves. Not everybody can be a George
Jones or Patsy Cline. The country music of today reflects the people
who are listening to it and their tastes. Obviously, some people are
listening to country today only because it is the "in" thing to do,
but many of us "were country when country wasn't cool." If you don't
like something which a particular artist does then have the common
decency to respect those of us who do. I grew up with some rather old
fashioned values, but the one I remember best is "If you can't say
something nice, then don't say anything at all." Apparently this is a
forgotten courtesy in today's world.

Just my $1.25 worth...Hey, I don't come CHEAP.

Keith Smith ............. Mama's don't let your
ro...@omar.ISRI.UNLV.EDU ............. cowboys grow up to be babies!

Todd Thuss

Jun 23, 1994, 12:02:58 PM6/23/94
I'm not sure what you saw there but in my 5 years in Austin I heard little country music. It's a blues and progressive rock town that just happens to spawn some incredible musicians of all styles. Now, many new good guys and gals (Rick Trevino, Lee Roy Parnell, McBride & the Ride, David Ball, Doug Supernaw, Junior Brown, etc) are either from the Austin area or surrounding area, or used the happenin' club scene as a starting point. What bites is that everyone seems to play the TOP40 circuit there but wit

hout appreciation for their talents as an ARTIST. Rick Trevino played mostly covers (very well, too), but not too many folks actually went to hear him play HIS stuff. They went to dance because he had a good band. One of my former bandmates told me that David Ball was playing all the dives while we were playing TOP40 in the best clubs. Now listen to him. The guy sounds authentic, real, and cool. Junior Brown is an exception. Folks saw him just to listen, worship, and wonder just what they had been do

ing with their guitars all their lives.

What Austin is is a convenient place for country (and other) muscicans to make contacts, make money, and get cool gear; Austin is one of the best paying towns for country dance bands I've ever seen. I don't think the presence of Austin City Limits or anything else makes any difference there. Austin, however, is the only town I know that does not line dance (except one club). That alone justifies its existance (just kidding) !!!!

Trevor R Loy (GRE) - 4MD

Jun 23, 1994, 6:23:20 PM6/23/94
In article <1994Jun23....@mksol.dseg.ti.com> a046...@dseg.ti.com writes:
> Now, many new good guys and gals (Rick Trevino, Lee Roy Parnell,
> McBride & the Ride, David Ball, Doug Supernaw, Junior Brown, etc)
> are either from the Austin area or surrounding area, or used the
> happenin' club scene as a starting point.

Don't forget the _man_, Hal Ketchum, who considers Austin his "adopted"
hometown!!

Actually, could I use the collective net.wisdom to get as complete a
list as possible of all the musicians who have Austin ties? Just email
me and I'll post the results back to the group.

> Austin, however, is the only town I know that does not line dance
> (except one club). That alone justifies its existance (just kidding) !!!!

hee hee

Trevor

--
| Trevor R. Loy | "What they dreamed, we live, |
| Intel Corporation | and what they lived, we dream." |

Terrel Hoffman

Jun 23, 1994, 8:15:00 PM6/23/94
Anyone ever heard of Robert Earl Keen Jr.? He's from Austin, and he's
_really_ good.

Ted Samse

Jun 24, 1994, 7:23:06 AM6/24/94
Terrel Hoffman (thof...@anything.synopsys.com) wrote:
: Anyone ever heard of Robert Earl Keen Jr.? He's from Austin, and he's
: _really_ good.

No, he lives in Bandera.....

Re: Austin...
Every aspiring musician of certain genres in this country (and
even other parts of the world) seems to think Austin is a mecca
for their ultimate stardom. Even in the '70s, it was sometimes
hard for local (and by locals, I mean people who didn't move to
Austin just to *be groovy musicians*) bands to get gigs. I've been
FLAMED for this before, but a songwriter I know (Rich Minus) wrote
a parody of LUCKENBACH, TEXAS, titled (Let's) LOOT & SACK, TEXAS.
This referred to the influx of wannabees coming from the other
places.
I've always wanted to write a song similar to IF YOUR GOING TO
SAN FRANCISCO that would go something like this:

"If you're comin' to Austin,
Wear a cowpie on your head"

I left Austin after 18 years and for 6 months in Richmond, VA, I
was in a band that got more paying gigs in that time than in 6 years
(approx.) of playing in Austin. Go figure.

A songwriter out of Ft Worth named Alverson has written some
songs that you might find amusing, the titles being:

WHERE DID ALL THOSE PRETTY BOYS COME FROM? (all the HotNooCountrie guys)

&

WHY ISN'T THERE A LAKE (ALLEN) JACKSON IF THERE IS A LAKE RAY (WYLIE)
HUBBARD?
(see a Texas map for the Geography impaired).....

I'm not sure if I'd want to move back to Austin....Blanco maybe.

--
Ted Samsel....tejas@infi.net.com/bh...@freenet-in-a.cwru.edu...
"driving a Hudson Hornet on the information superhighway, seeking a

aho...@tecvax.stim.tec.tn.us

Jun 24, 1994, 11:28:59 AM6/24/94
In article <2ud8i4$r...@hermes.synopsys.com>, thof...@anything.synopsys.com (Terrel Hoffman) writes:
> Anyone ever heard of Robert Earl Keen Jr.? He's from Austin, and he's
> _really_ good.

Indeed he is. His 1993 release, A Bigger Piece of Sky was
the best thing to come out last year. I play him on my show every
week, and have a lot of requests for "Corpus Christi Bay."
Joe Ely covered two of REK's songs on Love and Danger -
"Whenever Kindness Fails" and the popular "The Road Goes on Forever"
- both songs with a very dark humor and outlook ("I only use my gun
whenever kindness fails.")
REK is famous as the co-writer of "The Front Porch Song" along
with his college buddy Lyle Lovett. Check out REK's version. Some
other favorites are the funny "Swervin' in my Lane" and "Copenhagen,"
and the title cut of his first release, No Kinda Dancer (beautiful).
REK is one of the great songwiters of today, and he has a
lovely, warm voice. You can't go wrong with any of his material!

No Kinda Dancer
The Live Album
West Textures
A Bigger Piece of Sky

Anne Howard, Librarian and VOLUNTEER Programmer WEVL Memphis
Barstool #1 8-10pm Sunday 89.9 on your dial

Todd Thuss

Jun 24, 1994, 11:44:51 AM6/24/94
Some more? Willie, Kelly Willis, Butch Hancock, Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmour, Monte Warden and Wagoneers (defunct), Steve Earle (occasionally ?), Gary P. Nunn (wrote Home with the 'Dillo for Austin City Limits), Jerry Jeff Walker (San Marcos), Hal Ketchum (Grune). If you go back to the '70's this list gets real long. Out of all of these I consider Kelly Willis to be most representative of the "Austin" sound, if there is one.

-Todd

P.s. Don't squat with yer' spurs on!

Al Wesolowsky

Jun 24, 1994, 2:55:54 PM6/24/94
Todd Thuss (a046...@dseg.ti.com) wrote:
Willie, Kelly Willis, Butch Hancock, Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmour,
Monte Warden and Wagoneers (defunct), Steve Earle, Gary P. Nunn
Jerry Jeff Walker, Hal Ketchum

Don't nobody else remember Kenneth Threadgill? With Chuck and Julie?

--
Al B. Wesolowsky o "'Infobahn'? Ho Chi Minh Trail, more like."
a...@crsa.bu.edu o Networking Guy, peering into the cable closet.

Victor Eijkhout

Jun 24, 1994, 3:31:26 PM6/24/94
In article <2ufasn$a...@wegener.ems.psu.edu> dr...@essc.psu.edu (Sytske Drury) writes:

> I get so sick of my local country
> music station - after an hour you have heard their entire repetoir. After that
> they play the same stuff all over again, just in a different order. I do like
> a lot of the new songs that come out, but not over and over, 24 hours a day!

Well, around here we have a `Real Country' station that still plays
the old stuff, but they are so proud of themselves that in between
every two songs they have to tell you how they are the only Real
country station, and how bad the others are, and how they still play
the classics, and how the others have a playlist of only a dozen songs,
and pleased they are that you are a real country fan, and ...

Enough already!

(Btw, Sytske, whaddayamean `my local country music station', you mean
there is only one? I told you psu is an `achtergebleven gebied'! :-)
--

Victor Eijkhout ............................ `Abner does not keep the club's
Department of Computer Science ................ books on a Mac [...] he says

Sytske Drury

Jun 24, 1994, 3:07:03 PM6/24/94
In article <1994Jun22.1...@unlv.edu>,
Keith Smith <ro...@cash.ISRI.UNLV.EDU> wrote:

>It seems to
>me that a lot of the people who contribute here are rather short
>sighted and refuse to give new artists a fair chance. Like anything
>else in life, country music evolves. Not everybody can be a George
>Jones or Patsy Cline. The country music of today reflects the people
>who are listening to it and their tastes.

>If you don't like something which a particular artist does then have

>common decency to respect those of us who do.

That's prefectly fine with me. But why do the radio stations totally ignore
the old stuff?? I know we have discussed this before, but it really gets to
me and I wish we could do something about it. I get so sick of my local country

Bob Soron

Jun 24, 1994, 7:02:48 PM6/24/94

I've got Kenneth Threadgill's album on Armadillo Records, plus a few
minutes of videotape of him singing "Waitin' for a Train." Marvelous.
Wish I'd gotten to see him on stage.

Bob
bobs...@world.std.com
"It's getting harder and harder to act weird" -- Bill Griffith via Zippy

Terrel Hoffman

Jun 24, 1994, 8:46:02 PM6/24/94
In article <1994Jun24....@tecvax.stim.tec.tn.us>, aho...@tecvax.stim.tec.tn.us writes:

|> Indeed he is. His 1993 release, A Bigger Piece of Sky was
|> the best thing to come out last year. I play him on my show every
|> week, and have a lot of requests for "Corpus Christi Bay."
|> Joe Ely covered two of REK's songs on Love and Danger -
|> "Whenever Kindness Fails" and the popular "The Road Goes on Forever"
|> - both songs with a very dark humor and outlook ("I only use my gun
|> whenever kindness fails.")
|> REK is famous as the co-writer of "The Front Porch Song" along
|> with his college buddy Lyle Lovett. Check out REK's version. Some
|> other favorites are the funny "Swervin' in my Lane" and "Copenhagen,"
|> and the title cut of his first release, No Kinda Dancer (beautiful).
|> REK is one of the great songwiters of today, and he has a
|> lovely, warm voice. You can't go wrong with any of his material!
|>
|> No Kinda Dancer
|> The Live Album
|> West Textures
|> A Bigger Piece of Sky
|>

|> Anne Howard, Librarian and VOLUNTEER Programmer WEVL Memphis
|> Barstool #1 8-10pm Sunday 89.9 on your dial

I totally agree with your ideas about REK. I've heard him live several
times. He comes to my town frequently and plays at a local place called
the Kuumbwa Jazz Center. I really enjoy hearing him. And he's such a
nice person. Really happy when people like his work. He hangs out and
talks to people before and after the show.

I really like his ballads, like "Mariano," and "Love's a word I never throw
around." But he does have a great sense of humor, like in "It's the Little
Things"(that really piss me off)," and I could listen to him for hours.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who listens to him!

Al Wesolowsky

Jun 24, 1994, 9:00:56 PM6/24/94
Bob Soron (bobs...@world.std.com) wrote:
: In article <2ufa7q$r...@news.bu.edu>, Al Wesolowsky <a...@bu.edu> wrote:
: >Don't nobody else remember Kenneth Threadgill? With Chuck and Julie?

: I've got Kenneth Threadgill's album on Armadillo Records, plus a few

: minutes of videotape of him singing "Waitin' for a Train." Marvelous.
: Wish I'd gotten to see him on stage.

I used to catch him at the Broken Spoke (or was it the Split Rail? or
both?) and he was always good for a first-rate show. Lovely yodels. He
was an early supporter of Janis Joplin, and she came to Austin for his
birthday party in, I think, 1969. They did an a capella duet of "So
Lonesome I Could Cry". Pity Kenneth didn't know the words to "Ball and
Chain". That would have re-defined two classics in one evening.

Ted B Samsel

Jun 25, 1994, 5:51:04 AM6/25/94

Ah hah! So old Al W. was at Kenneth Threadgill's birthday to at
the old Oak Hill Party Barn, too. I handed Janis a beer there and
heard her do the first Kris Kristofferson I'd ever heard.
Who out there remembers Blind George McClain? Lavada Durst (Pro-
fessor Hepcat)? Cody Hubach? LeeAnn & the Bizzarros? Vernelle
Pratt & the Sewer Queens? The She-Bulls? Or Bevos Westside Taproom?
--
Ted Samsel ....."driving a Hudson Hornet on the information
superhighway. Now all we need is a JC Whitney

Mark Wuest

Jun 27, 1994, 4:53:02 PM6/27/94
Someone wrote:

>Isn't Jerry Jeff Walker (real name something like Terry Evans)
>actually from New York City . . . or Boston . . . or some such?

Well, I guess being a Native Born Texan (and an Aggie, to boot), gives
me a little room to comment (since this comes up so often, there ought
to be something about it in a FAQ somewhere).

The folks on the Mayflower must have had a problem with the foreigners
on the second boat. So-called "Native Americans" have a problem with
us Europeans. Perhaps the animals they killed to eat would have a
problem with them if they could speak. Certainly, one doesn't have to
look far to find their grafitti^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpetroglyphs.

To get another view on the Value of Being Texan, just ask any New
Mexico (most of my relatives, by the way) or Colorado Native how they
feel about Rich Texans Who Vacation There.

Better yet, ask any Good Ag (tm) about Austin. ;-)

Mark (My great, great.... grandparents were Natives of Eden)
--
Mark Wuest | 'Got my thumb out, lookin' for a free
m...@sitar.jazz.att.com | ride on the Information SUPER Highway.

Char Walker

Jun 27, 1994, 2:56:05 PM6/27/94
In article <2ufa7q$r...@news.bu.edu> a...@bu.edu (Al Wesolowsky) writes:

>Jerry Jeff Walker

To paraphrase the Pace Picante TV advertisement . . .

Isn't Jerry Jeff Walker (real name something like Terry Evans)
actually from New York City . . . or Boston . . . or some such?

Char

Sytske Drury

Jun 27, 1994, 4:32:40 PM6/27/94
In article <1994Jun27.1...@sequent.com>,

Char Walker <ch...@sequent.com> wrote:
>Isn't Jerry Jeff Walker (real name something like Terry Evans)
>actually from New York City . . . or Boston . . . or some such?
Yes, originally he is from somewhere up that way.
SD

Julia Brown

Jun 28, 1994, 8:41:13 PM6/28/94

>In article <2ufasn$a...@wegener.ems.psu.edu> dr...@essc.psu.edu (Sytske Drury) writes:
>
>> I get so sick of my local country
>> music station - after an hour you have heard their entire repetoir. After that
>> they play the same stuff all over again, just in a different order. I do like
>> a lot of the new songs that come out, but not over and over, 24 hours a day!

Well, if you notice, that's the way *all* radio stations (*AND* video stations)
are these days...

there outta be a law against playing the same song 80 times a day!!!

julia

jst...@bozell.com

Jun 30, 1994, 10:38:04 AM6/30/94
Mark Wuest writes

> Someone wrote:
>
> >Isn't Jerry Jeff Walker (real name something like Terry
Evans)
> >actually from New York City . . . or Boston . . . or some
such?

> Well, I guess being a Native Born Texan (and an Aggie, to
boot), gives
> me a little room to comment (since this comes up so often,
there ought
> to be something about it in a FAQ somewhere).
>
> The folks on the Mayflower must have had a problem with the
foreigners
> on the second boat. (Stuff deleted)

> To get another view on the Value of Being Texan, just ask any
New
> Mexico (most of my relatives, by the way) or Colorado Native
how they
> feel about Rich Texans Who Vacation There.
>
> (Stuff deleted)

My favorite Texana bumper sticker:

"I wasn't born in Texas,
but I got here as fast as I could."
--
Joe Stroop
jst...@dallas.bozell.com

Ted B Samsel

Jul 2, 1994, 8:53:52 AM7/2/94

My favorite Texana bumper sticker:

*IF YOU AIN'T FROM TEXAS, YOU AIN'T SH*T*

& *IF GOD HAD MEANT FOR TEXANS TO SKI,
HE/SHE WOULD OF MADE BULLSH*T WHITE*

&From Alaska....

*HAPPINESS IS ALL THE TEXANS GOING HOME WITH AN OKIE UNDER EACH ARM*

Yup, we be pop'lar! Wooden ya know it?