George Jones & LeAnn Rimes to boycott CMA awards show

JSTONE9352

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
From USA Today Sept. 13:

Controversy over booking practices for the Country Music
Association Awards show threatens to cast a cloud over
the event, a week and a half before the annual ceremony.
The trouble centers on the absence of George Jones and
LeAnn Rimes and the apparent domination of the show by
two music conglomerates. Jones was offered a shortened
performance of single of the year "Choices"; Rimes was asked
to present an award. Both declined.
"George believe that the fans and the public get frustrated
over these very abbreviated songs," says Evelyn Shriver, head
of Asylum Records, for which Jones records. "Rightly or
wrongly, he doesn't believe he's like a baby act that has to
do this."
As of Friday, approximately two-thirds of the acts scheduled
for the show record for either Universal Music or Bertelsmann Music.
Last week Curb Records chief Mike Curb resigned from the performers
selection committee in protest. The CMA's Ed Benson says that as the
show "becomes more significant, people become more covetous of
those slots. Quite a few artists are reducing the time of their songs."
Single of the year nominees Lonestar and Mark Wills plan to
perform abbreviated versions of their contending songs on the show,
which airs Sept. 22 on CBS. Other scheduled performers include
Merle Haggard and Jewel, Alabama and 'N Syne, George Strait, and
Shania Twain.

So.... is George Jones right? Do you prefer to hear a song in its
entirety or is having a shortend version of a song OK for you?

Ken

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
No doubt about it, play the FULL song...

JSTONE9352 <jston...@aol.com> wrote in message

March2875

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
Doesn't really matter to me as long as most of it is done and the artists are
treated fairly in the process. Sawyer Brown has performed edited versions of
songs many times. When "Thank God For You" was a big hit they cut one entire
verse out of it when they performed it.

lain

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
With these covetted spots, I'm surely glad that they could fit N'Sync &
Jewel into the *C*MAs !

AndersonJ

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
Personally, I think that it's selfish of the artists to not
agree to play a shortened version. There are so many
artists out there that deserve time to perform and be seen.
If everybody played their songs in their entirety, the show
would be 5 hours long, and that's not realistic. I'd rather
see a lot of variety than just the main artists getting to
perform their 5 minute songs.

WriterRon

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
I've got a sneaking hunch that I don't know all there is to know about this,
and should probably keep my mouth shut. But, that never stopped me before.
For presentation purposes, a verse and chorus is plenty. That allows more
artists and writers to have their material performed.

joeda

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:51:42 -0400 "lain" <la...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> With these covetted spots, I'm surely glad that they could fit N'Sync &
> Jewel into the *C*MAs !
>
> Excellent point!! While I'm pleased they gave Merle a slot I can't
help believing it's only because of Jewel. I think it was Marty Stuart
who said CMA stands for Country My A..! Marty was right.
Exchange ideas on practically anything (tm).

Country Boy

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99

joeda <ja...@domain.com> wrote in article
<YVeD3.9378$LL2.1...@c01read02-admin.service.talkway.com>...

> On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:51:42 -0400 "lain" <la...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > With these covetted spots, I'm surely glad that they could fit N'Sync &
> > Jewel into the *C*MAs !
> >
> > Excellent point!! While I'm pleased they gave Merle a slot I can't
> help believing it's only because of Jewel. I think it was Marty Stuart
> who said CMA stands for Country My A..! Marty was right.
> --

We'll see if Marty says that if his song wins Vocal Event. How much you
wanna bet he doesn't?

The CMA Awards would not do well in the ratings if only country fans
watched. And since we all know some won't anyway, the producers need to
attract non-country viewers.

TNNeXtreme

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
There goes George and his mouthpiece Evelyn Shriver again. George should be
grateful he is not sitting in jail right now, thats where drunk drivers like
him belong. This seems like just another stunt orchastrated by Shriver to get
George P.R. She did a great job for him covering when she knew he was drunk.
They made up the story about him listening to the tape of Choices, that was
never found. He should be thankful he is offered a chance to play. Lonestar
set R&R records for that song and they have to play a shortened version. Let
George boycott, that guy is always bitching about lack of airplay what have
you. Hang it up NO SHOW!

Heath Seremet

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
<<So.... is George Jones right? Do you prefer to hear a song in its
entirety or is having a shortend version of a song OK for you?>>
-----------------------
The possum is 110% correct. Songs are not half-written. The writers
intend for the entire song to be heard to have th desired effect.

-Heath
"I'm from the country.... and I like it that way!"

Rattler

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
It's not the first time this has came up at the CMA's. More
performers to gather more viewers. Shorten the songs for
more advertisers to profit those who probably don't even
like the music. They're after the money. Let the artists be
artists & not cut up what's been created. Play the full song
they're what 3 to 4 minutes?

John L. Wierzbicki

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:35:06 GMT, "Ken" <its...@home.com> wrote:

->No doubt about it, play the FULL song...

Full song - LIVE!! Partial/lip-sync unacceptable!!

KevJCoyne

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99

AMEN. He should be grateful he has the luxury to bitch about not getting a lot
of time on a nationally televised program. I don't hear Reba bitching about
not getting a performance slot, and she sold a helluva lot more records than he
did this year, not to mention she's a much better example of artist conduct and
has contributed far more greatly to the art of country music than George has
since the early 80s.
-----------------------------------
Kevin J. Coyne

Please call your radio station and request:
Pam Tillis - "After A Kiss"

Jennifer

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
I would like to see ALL of George's song. But, someone explain this to me --
do ALL of the singers have to abbreviate their songs, or only some of them? If
everyone does, then he should suck it up. If someone like Shania gets to sing
(or lip sync) her whole song, then for God's sake, George Jones should.

Why is Leann Rimes boycotting?

Jennifer
______________________________
Beauty is pain
http://members.aol.com/dellapina
Mother of All Updates is complete!!! 9/10/99

countrymusicnz

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
To me it's a respect issue. I can understand situations like they had at
this years CMAA's (Country Music Association of Australia) where they had
about 4-5 new faces that had all made significant "breakthrough's" in the
prior 12 months. To save favoring one all got to do abbreviated versions and
got exposure.

They wouldn't have dreamed of asking Slim Dusty (Aussie's icon of Country I
think something like 97 Gold albums to date) to do that (He wasn't there
anyways as he was ill) but they wouldn't have even asked, they would know
the only RIGHT thing to do was an entire song.

Good on you George for turning them down. They should be ashamed of
themselves.

Ken <its...@home.com> wrote in message news:e6eD3.1855$RS3.16622@ha1...

> No doubt about it, play the FULL song...

countrymusicnz

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Maybe there's lots of artists but how many LEGENDS are still with us.

In fact To heck with all the newbies... how about a Legends show!!!!!

George, Mrle, Willie, Waylon, Johnny Cash, and the rest.. gimme some of
that!

AndersonJ <anderson...@pop.belmont.edu> wrote in message

> Personally, I think that it's selfish of the artists to not
> agree to play a shortened version. There are so many
> artists out there that deserve time to perform and be seen.
> If everybody played their songs in their entirety, the show
> would be 5 hours long, and that's not realistic. I'd rather
> see a lot of variety than just the main artists getting to
> perform their 5 minute songs.

Country Boy

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99

Heath Seremet <Hea...@webtv.net> wrote in article
<24859-37...@newsd-621.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

> <<So.... is George Jones right? Do you prefer to hear a song in its
> entirety or is having a shortend version of a song OK for you?>>

> -----------------------
> The possum is 110% correct. Songs are not half-written. The writers
> intend for the entire song to be heard to have th desired effect.

Consider the context. This is a TV awards show. Did they present entire
TV shows during the Emmy Awards? Do they show entire movies during the
Oscars? How about entire Broadway musicals on the Tony Awards?

Country Boy

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99

Jennifer <dell...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19990913231621...@ng-fm1.aol.com>...

> I would like to see ALL of George's song. But, someone explain this to
me --
> do ALL of the singers have to abbreviate their songs, or only some of
them?

Many of them do. The article in USA Today points out two examples. Some
shows have rules about performing a song on two awards shows. Garth
explained that once about the American Music Awards and The Grammy Awards.
If you perform on the AMAs, you can't perform on The Grammys. The guy who
produces The Grammys also does the CMAs. George did "Choices" as the final
song on the TNN/Music City News Awards. Perhaps he feels it's already been
done on an awards show. We'll see which song Alan Jackson does. If he
does "Little Man," then we know that's not the reason, because he did that
song on the TNN Awards. If he does something else, then it could be part
of the reason.

> Why is Leann Rimes boycotting?

Why do we care? She's not nominated, and hasn't won anything since 1997.

Country Boy

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99

countrymusicnz <country...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in article
<7rkf2k$7re3h$1...@titan.xtra.co.nz>...

> Maybe there's lots of artists but how many LEGENDS are still with us.
>
> In fact To heck with all the newbies... how about a Legends show!!!!!
>
> George, Mrle, Willie, Waylon, Johnny Cash, and the rest.. gimme some of
> that!

Good luck in getting all of them to show up. You'd be lucky to get two
from that bunch.

CKbeForMe

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
>Consider the context. This is a TV awards show. Did they present entire
>TV shows during the Emmy Awards? Do they show entire movies during the
>Oscars? How about entire Broadway musicals on the Tony Awards?

Now that was a bad analogy! You left out a keyword: This is a TV *music*
awards show. Compare the average length of a song to the average length of the
other references you made above... maybe that'll clear up the haze as to why it
is has been common for ENTIRE songs to be performed on awards shows. But maybe
not...

Country Boy

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99

CKbeForMe <ckbe...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19990913234406...@ng-fl1.aol.com>...

You say it's been common, but I know that's not correct. I read where Alan
Jackson refused to do the ACMs last May because they wanted him to do an
edited version of "Little Man." The song runs about 4-1/2 minutes. He
wanted to do the whole thing. So he did it on the TNN/Music City News
Awards. The Grammy Awards often require shorter versions of songs. The
CMAs have been requiring edits for at least ten years. Maybe more.

Someone else mentioned the word respect. And I'm sure a lot of people
consider it disrespectful to someone of his stature to be asked to cut his
song. But as I suggested a while back, an easy solution would be for one
of the younger artists to offer to give their time up so that George could
be given a full slot. We'll see if someone steps up to the plate on that
one.

At the same time, Jones could have shown respect by simply declining the
invitation and not making an issue out of it. And in point of fact, he
isn't the one complaining. His label President is. And as we all know,
controversy is the best stimulant for publicity.

KevJCoyne

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99

>Maybe there's lots of artists but how many LEGENDS are still with us.
>
>In fact To heck with all the newbies... how about a Legends show!!!!!
>
>George, Mrle, Willie, Waylon, Johnny Cash, and the rest.. gimme some of
>that!

A Legends show would be great, but it should be something separate from the CMA
Awards, which are designed to reflect country music of the past year. All
those artists were featured prominently when they were the top record sellers
and airplay winners. A show featuring them instead of the Dixie Chicks, Shania
Twain, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Sara Evans, etc. would not be reflective of
country music in 1999. George Jones should be in jail anyway, so I'm glad he
won't be at the show.

KevJCoyne

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99

>I would like to see ALL of George's song. But, someone explain this to me --
>do ALL of the singers have to abbreviate their songs, or only some of them?
>If
>everyone does, then he should suck it up. If someone like Shania gets to
>sing
>(or lip sync) her whole song, then for God's sake, George Jones should.

Three things:
1 - Shania has never lip synched on the CMA's.
2 - She's performing a 2 1/2 minute song anyway. Certainly one of the most
popular singers in the world deserves a lengthy performance slot.
3 - George Jones has done nothing to merit a performance slot this year, unless
recklessly endangering the lives of others is suddenly criteria for national
television exposure.

>Why is Leann Rimes boycotting?
>

>Jennifer
>______________________________
>Beauty is pain
>http://members.aol.com/dellapina
>Mother of All Updates is complete!!! 9/10/99

TeresaA999

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Kevin wrote:
>3 - George Jones has done nothing to merit a performance slot this year,
>unless

Isn't "Choices" nominated for single of the year? Will the other songs
nominated in the same category be performed in their entirity? If so, then
"Choices" should get the same recognition. If one song in that category is
abbreviated, then ALL songs in that category should be abbreviated. IMO, all
songs in both the single and song of the year category should be performed in
their entirity.

But the CMA's is about money so they will choose those artists that they feel
will appeal to the "pop" audience, thus turning off those of us who enjoy the
country songs. How I long for the days when it was all about the music and
only about the music! Now with all of the plastic Barbie and Ken artists, is
it any wonder that the music is losing its popularity?

joeda

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
On 14 Sep 1999 03:39:00 GMT "Country Boy" <UDL...@prodigy.com> wrote:

> Jennifer <dell...@aol.com> wrote in article
> <19990913231621...@ng-fm1.aol.com>...
> > I would like to see ALL of George's song. But, someone explain this to
> me --
> > do ALL of the singers have to abbreviate their songs, or only some of
> them?

We'll see which song Alan Jackson does. If he
> does "Little Man," then we know that's not the reason, because he did that
> song on the TNN Awards. If he does something else, then it could be part
> of the reason.

Alan is performing a song from his new album, due out in October, but
as of last week they had not decided on the first single, which
presumably will be the one he sings. He is not singing" Little Man".
One of the songs on his new album is a cover of one of George Jones'
classics, maybe he'll choose that one just to make a point, (that
part is pure speculation).

Scott

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
KevJCoyne wrote:
> George Jones should be in jail anyway, so I'm glad he
> won't be at the show.

You keep bringing that up, and it's over and not related to music.
Unless you plan on becoming a judge in Tennessee, I don't see why it's
relevant.

Scott

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Country Boy wrote:

> joeda wrote ...
> > lain wrote:
> > > With these coveted spots, I'm surely glad that they could fit N'Sync &

> > > Jewel into the *C*MAs !
> > >
> > > Excellent point!! While I'm pleased they gave Merle a slot I can't
> > help believing it's only because of Jewel. I think it was Marty Stuart
> > who said CMA stands for Country My A..! Marty was right.
>
> The CMA Awards would not do well in the ratings if only country fans
> watched. And since we all know some won't anyway, the producers need to
> attract non-country viewers.

Well with the lineup they've got, they should be attracting plenty, while
the country fans turn it right off.

Scott

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Luvless wrote:

> I think George Jones is doing the right thing.
> The whole song, or no song.
> Give 'em hell, George!

I think he should drive a tractor across the stage while N'Sync or Jewel
are on.

David Laudicina

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
George doesn't have to do anything because he's the King. Drunk, sober show or
noshow he is still the king to me.
Thx Dave L

KevJCoyne wrote:

> >I would like to see ALL of George's song. But, someone explain this to me --
> >do ALL of the singers have to abbreviate their songs, or only some of them?

> >If
> >everyone does, then he should suck it up. If someone like Shania gets to
> >sing
> >(or lip sync) her whole song, then for God's sake, George Jones should.
>
> Three things:
> 1 - Shania has never lip synched on the CMA's.
> 2 - She's performing a 2 1/2 minute song anyway. Certainly one of the most
> popular singers in the world deserves a lengthy performance slot.

> 3 - George Jones has done nothing to merit a performance slot this year, unless

> recklessly endangering the lives of others is suddenly criteria for national
> television exposure.
>
> >Why is Leann Rimes boycotting?
> >
> >Jennifer
> >______________________________
> >Beauty is pain
> >http://members.aol.com/dellapina
> >Mother of All Updates is complete!!! 9/10/99
> >

> -----------------------------------
> Kevin J. Coyne
>
> Please call your radio station and request:
> Pam Tillis - "After A Kiss"

= David I. Laudicina
= Systems Programmer II
= University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
= Administrative Information Services
= Office Phone = 919.966.5834
= FAX Phone = 919.962.0900
= Internet Mail Address = d...@email.ais.unc.edu

Robinjoy25

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
>ith these covetted spots, I'm surely glad that they could fit N'Sync &

>Jewel into the *C*MAs !

And to add more injury ---the whore from Canada Shania will be prancing and
slutting about the stage---she is no true talent.
Leave the rock, pop, rap out of the Country and CMA. The board of the CMA
should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this travesty of justice to the
genre of Country Music.
This is due to CBS/Viacom mandates. Look what they done to TNN and CMT
---mark my words , Country Music is in deep trouble because of a few people who
have it in their minds and hearts to destroy this beautiful music form .
Robin

Busgal58jb

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
How many performences whole songs or condenced did thay used to do when the
show was 2 hours ? It's only been the last 10 years that these programs have
taken the whole 3 hours of Primetime
BUS
busgaljan 's Home Page http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3886/index.html
favorete artests
http://www.dalewatson.realcountry.net/index.html
http://br5-49convoy.com/
http://cornellhurdband.com

ma...@webtv.net

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
" TO WATCH OR NOT TO WATCH " That is the question - will George be
there? Think last I heard they were going to let him do the whole
song. But still don't know for sure.Has anyone heard ?

Scott

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Country Boy wrote:

> Scott wrote ...

> > Well with the lineup they've got, they should be attracting plenty, while
>
> > the country fans turn it right off.
>
> Yep. I can understand why. I can't imagine any self respecting country
> fan wanting to see Merle Haggard, George Strait, Alan Jackson, or Vince
> Gill. They should all just turn their TV sets off and wait for the second
> coming.

Looking at the list of who's nominated for what this year, plus the
performers on top of that, it's really a pop-oriented show. It's not
worth sitting through all the pop and commercials to watch the
pop-oriented artists get the awards.

Country fans should join George Jones in the boycott. Just put on some
good hillbilly music and forget about it.

westg...@webtv.net

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Here's an idea:

Have every category presented this way:
For example, male vocalist nominees all come on stage one by one as they
are announced, do abbreviated versions of
their songs and then have the presenters
read the list of nominees again and give
the award.
Do the same for each category, including
Entertainer of the year.

This way, every artist gets the same amount of "performance time" and
they could cut back this 3-hour marathon
to two hours.

Yes, this would eliminate any performances by artists that aren't
nominated, but so what.

What does everyone else think of this?

Country Boy

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

Scott <westsi...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom> wrote in article
<37DEE4...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom>...

Country Boy

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

Robinjoy25 <robin...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19990914180422...@ng-cd1.aol.com>...

> This is due to CBS/Viacom mandates. Look what they done to TNN and
CMT
> ---mark my words , Country Music is in deep trouble because of a few
people who
> have it in their minds and hearts to destroy this beautiful music form .
> Robin

First of all, I really don't think anyone wants to destroy anything. But I
just want to remind you once again that none of this is new. Lionel
Ritchie performed on the CMA Awards in 1985. Over the years a number of
pop stars performed on the show. They believe it will help ratings with
the general public, many of whom don't listen to country music. In the
1975, the CMA gave their Entertainer of the Year award to John Denver, much
to the dismay of traditional country fans. At the time, he had generally
been seen as a pop star, who had his first country Top 10 in 1974.

Country Boy

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

TeresaA999 <teres...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19990914064247...@ng-fb1.aol.com>...

> Kevin wrote:
> >3 - George Jones has done nothing to merit a performance slot this year,
> >unless
>

> Isn't "Choices" nominated for single of the year? Will the other songs
> nominated in the same category be performed in their entirity? If so,
then
> "Choices" should get the same recognition.

The USA Today article yesterday said that they all will be abbreviated.

> How I long for the days when it was all about the music and
> only about the music!

When was it ever all about the music? If it was just about the music, we
wouldn't have a need for stars.

KevJCoyne

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

I live in Nashville. It's certainly relevant to me that a proven drunk driver
is allowed back on the roads I'm on regularly. A performance slot on the CMA's
should never have been an option for George; he should've been watching the
show from prison.

James Michael Randorff

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
In article <01befe5f$b424a040$568a9cd1@default>, "Country Boy"
<UDL...@prodigy.com> writes:

>Consider the context. This is a TV awards show. Did they present entire
>TV shows during the Emmy Awards? Do they show entire movies during the
>Oscars? How about entire Broadway musicals on the Tony Awards?

CB, consider the context yourself... you are talking about the difference
between one-and-a-half extra minutes of song, or two extra hours of
musical/fifty-five extra minutes of TV show. It is hardly a realistic
comparison that you are making.

Later,
~~ James Michael Randorff (jran...@aol.com)
~~ http://hometown.aol.com/jrandorff/index.html

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world... she walks into
mine." -- The late, great, Humphrey Bogart, from "Casablanca"

James Michael Randorff

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
In article <19990913170433...@ng-fc1.aol.com>, jston...@aol.com
(JSTONE9352) writes:

>So.... is George Jones right? Do you prefer to hear a song in its
>entirety or is having a shortend version of a song OK for you?

George is dead on... I cannot stand hearing shortened versions of songs on
awards shows, because they usually cut out the parts that make the songs what
they are for me.

Country Boy

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

James Michael Randorff <jran...@aol.compliment> wrote in article <

>I cannot stand hearing shortened versions of songs on
> awards shows, because they usually cut out the parts that make the songs
what
> they are for me.

And we all know that the mass media does these shows for an audience of
one: You. It's all about you. It's not about fairness, or getting as many
artists their share of the spotlight. It's about making the songs what
they are for you. Because God knows you've never heard this song before.

Country Boy

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

Scott <westsi...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom> wrote in article

<37DF2B...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom>...

> Country fans should join George Jones in the boycott. Just put on some
> good hillbilly music and forget about it.

Yep. Go ahead. Boycott. Dream about the good old days. And when CBS
goes the same route as TNN and replaces country music with something else,
I'm sure you'll be the first to complain. Don't do the positive thing and
support the traditional acts on the show. Do the negative thing and
contribute to the further demise of country music on the mass media. Yep.
Sounds like the really intelligent thing to do.

Country Boy

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

James Michael Randorff <jran...@aol.compliment> wrote in article

<19990914235331...@ngol05.aol.com>...

> In article <01befe5f$b424a040$568a9cd1@default>, "Country Boy"
> <UDL...@prodigy.com> writes:
>
> >Consider the context. This is a TV awards show. Did they present
entire
> >TV shows during the Emmy Awards? Do they show entire movies during the
> >Oscars? How about entire Broadway musicals on the Tony Awards?
>
> CB, consider the context yourself... you are talking about the
difference
> between one-and-a-half extra minutes of song, or two extra hours of
> musical/fifty-five extra minutes of TV show. It is hardly a realistic
> comparison that you are making.

They have many more musical performances on the CMA Awards than they have
on those other awards too. And they do that in order to present as many
artists and songs as they can withing the time allotted.

These sacrifices are made all the time. I remember hearing Vince Gill talk
about how he had to cut his performance of "If You Ever Have Forever In
Mind" in half when he appeared on the Letterman show. He just cut out the
instrumental solos.

You guys are all taking this personally because it's Jones, and you feel
he's being targeted by some kind of evil monster. It's just a TV show for
crying out loud. He can either do it or not. It's not going to change the
world.

Scott

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
KevJCoyne wrote

>It's certainly relevant to me that a proven drunk driver
>is allowed back on the roads I'm on regularly. A performance slot on the
CMA's
>should never have been an option for George; he should've been watching the
>show from prison.

It's supposed to be a Country Music show, not Citizen of the Year. Normally
you're very reasonable, but you're trying to specify a consideration that
doesn't apply.

Country Boy

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

westg...@webtv.net wrote in article
<24247-37...@newsd-281.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

> Here's an idea:
>
> Have every category presented this way:
> For example, male vocalist nominees all come on stage one by one as they
> are announced, do abbreviated versions of
> their songs and then have the presenters
> read the list of nominees again and give
> the award.
>

> Yes, this would eliminate any performances by artists that aren't
> nominated, but so what.
>
> What does everyone else think of this?

It becomes comfusing when some artists or songs are nominated for multiple
awards. Then do they do the same song six times? Or do they do six
different songs? People will complain that the artists who are nominated
the most are getting too much screen time.

Eliminating performances by artists who aren't nominated would mean that
Merle Haggard doesn't get to perform. Or other legends who no longer
receive nominations. If you look at the rundown for the show, most of the
performances are by nominees anyway.

It also becomes a logistical nightmare. The TV crew has to prepare for
many many short performances. Unless the artists all perform acoustically.

They play brief clips from the CDs as they run through all the nominees.
The performances are supposed to be something special.

KevJCoyne

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

Let me clarify. I don't think his reckless behavior should disqualify him from
performing on the show. However, I think that in a just world, he'd be in jail
for what he did and the CMA performance slot wouldn't be an issue. I've
enjoyed several of Jones' CMA performances (and he's performed more times in
the 90's than many chart-toppers of the time) and I'm sure his presence could
only add to the quality of the program. However, I don't think he's entitled
to a performance slot and I've gotten tired of him running to the media
screaming "agism" every time he doesn't get his way. He's played the same card
too many times. In the words of Kenny Rogers, "those who can compete, compete.
Those who can't, bitch."

Heath Seremet

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Interesting. George is boycotting because they asked him to do a 60
second version of "Choices" and he felt he should be allowed to sing the
whole song. Perfectly valid reason. LeAnn on the other hand is
boycotting because she wasn't nominated. In oher words, another temper
tantrum. In fact, Mike Curb has left Curb Records and Music Row because
of the deal with George and because LeAnn was "overlooked" by the CMA's
this year. Give me a break. It's great that he's supportig George, but
what dd he want LeAnn to be nominated for? Her duet with Elton John?
Go on, Mike & LeAnn, take your toys and go home!

-Heath
"I'm from the country.... and I like it that way!"

Heath Seremet

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
kevjcoyne wrote:
<<George Jones has done nothing to merit a performance slot this year,
unless recklessly endangering the lives of others is suddenly criteria
for national television exposure.>>

O.K., I can't take it anymore. That's 4 different posts that you
referred to George driving under the influence. George has released one
of the best country albums of the last 10 years this past year and has a
noination for Single Of The Year. How does that not merita performance
slot? Furthermore, he is the greatest living country singer on the
planet, a legend, someone who's been i this business for over 40 years.
He not only deserves to be on the show, he deserves his full 3 mins., 23
seconds. How about we cut Shania back to 60 seconds. She's the one who
should be thrown in jail for polluting the airwaves with her pop,
bubble-gum fluff that she tries to pass off as country music.

Heath Seremet

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Scott wrote:
<<I think he should drive a tractor across the stage while N'Sync or
Jewel are on.>>

LOL! And drunk! Maybe he'd run one of the over!

Heath Seremet

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Scott wrote:
<<I think he should drive a tractor across the stage while N'Sync or
Jewel are on.>>

LOL! And drunk! Maybe he'd run one of them over!

Heath Seremet

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
KevJCoyne wrote:
<<I live in Nashville. It's certainly relevant to me that a proven drunk

driver is allowed back on the roads I'm on regularly. A performance slot
on the CMA's should never have been an option for George; he should've
been watching the show from prison.>>
---------------------------------
Thought yo lived in N.Y., Kevin. Did you move here? BTW, yo have no
proof that George was driving drunk, oly that he had an open container
in the vehicle. He pled guilty and was charged with violating
Tenessee's open container law. But there was no blood-alcohol test
administered at the time of the accident. In fact, the state troopers
who responded to the scene maintained that they did not believe alcohol
played a role in the accident. So give it a rest. I don't think the
possum is endangering anyone's lives. And if I were you, I would keep
my opinions about George quiet around here. I'm sure there are some who
would agree with you, but I'll bet there's at least 50,000 people in
Nashville who would bitch-slap you for talking that way about Mr. Jones.
Especially since you're not from around here.

-Heath

Heath Seremet

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
<< In fact, Mike Curb has left Curb Records and Music Row because of the
deal with George and because LeAnn was "overlooked" by the CMA's this
year.>>

Should have read, " Mike Curb, president of Curb Records on Music Row,
has resigned from the CMA's planning committee."
He has not left Curb Records. Guess my fingers and my brain weren't
working together. Sorry for the confusion.

Balecox

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
>>>Furthermore, he is the greatest living country singer on the
planet, <<<

While I wish George -- and others -- could sing their entire songs, I have to
question this assessment. I can think of many older singers I'd rather hear.
Starting with Merle Haggard.

Patsi

Balecox

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Heath posted to Kevin -- etc, etc: >>>bitch-slap you <<<<

No need for this sort of anger or veiled threats. Kevin simply stated very
strong views on drunk driving. It's his prerogative.

Patsi

Jens M. Cremer

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Scott <westsi...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom> writes:

>I think he should drive a tractor across the stage while N'Sync or Jewel
>are on.

What the hell are N´Suck doing at the CMA awards?
Jens M. Cremer, EX 150, Naehe AC
jmcr...@aol.com (.gb <- aus obiger Adresse loeschen/remove to answer)

TNNeXtreme

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
How about we cut Shania back to 60 seconds. She's the one who
should be thrown in jail for polluting the airwaves with her pop, bubble-gum
fluff that she tries to pass off as country music.>>

Shania should be given even more time. She is the one who delivers ratings!

joeda

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
> Yep. I can understand why. I can't imagine any self respecting country
> fan wanting to see Merle Haggard, George Strait, Alan Jackson, or Vince
> Gill. They should all just turn their TV sets off and wait for the second
> coming.

You're right on that point. Just seeing the artists you have named
makes it worthwhile to watch for me, even though I expect to be
annoyed at the outcome of the awards & will no doubt watch some other
performers & wonder why they're even up there, I have to admit any
show that offers, Merle, Alan, George S. & Vince is still worth
watching. We also need to remember that while I'm sure some of those
same artists named may be on George Jones' side in this issue they will
still support country music (yes, and themselves as well) by
being there. If the ratings are low, expect to see yet another Country
Music show bite the dust. It may be only shown once a year, but with
the way things are going, that may be the best we can get!
Exchange ideas on practically anything (tm).

Elmer Alley

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

Country Boy wrote in message <01beff2f$150a60a0$07b6fcd1@default>...

>James Michael Randorff <jran...@aol.compliment> wrote in article <
>>I cannot stand hearing shortened versions of songs on
>> awards shows, because they usually cut out the parts that make the songs
>what
>> they are for me.
>>

>And we all know that the mass media does these shows for an audience of
>one: You. It's all about you. It's not about fairness, or getting as many
>artists their share of the spotlight. It's about making the songs what
>they are for you. Because God knows you've never heard this song before.

One would think that a man of letters - as you claim to be - would reject
the use of an ad hominem attack.
I read your posts with interest but you lose me entirely when you indulge in
snide remarks such as the one above.

Elmer

Heath Seremet

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

Patsi, this was not a veiled threat, it was an ill attempt at humor. I
knew it would turn some heads, but I hope it didn't offend you. Perhaps
Kevin has had a personal experience with a drunk driver, hence his anger
toward George. If that's the case, then I feel sorry for him. I
certainly don't want to put anyone on a pedestal for driving drunk, I
just think it's irrelevant to the situation. In fact, it was never
proven that George was actually wasted. So why does he keep bringing it
up? Kevin is usually quite reasonable, but this really got under his
skin. Perhaps he just doesn't understand what Jones means to the
tradition of country music, just like we traditional fans can't figure
out what he sees in Eileen Twain.

Elmer Alley

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

Country Boy wrote in message <01befff1$b2c4dd80$708a9cd1@default>...

>Elmer Alley <e.a...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
><7rovee$qi7$1...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

>> I read your posts with interest but you lose me entirely when you indulge
>in
>> snide remarks such as the one above.
>>

>The tongue was embedded deeply in cheek, and I hope James knows that. But
>I think you'd agree that I'm on the receiving end of a lot more of those
>kinds of posts than on the giving end. And you'll note I didn't use any
>form of crude language.

You do get your share. Both you and Scott have points to make. I wish you
and he could end the feud and
get back to the interesting discussions of which you are capable. I was an
attack dog when Stella was a part of the group but I was always felt
diminished when I did it. I hope I learned my lesson.

Elmer

Ted Holder

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

Heath Seremet <Hea...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> kevjcoyne wrote:
> <<George Jones has done nothing to merit a performance slot this year,
> unless recklessly endangering the lives of others is suddenly criteria
> for national television exposure.>>
>
> O.K., I can't take it anymore. That's 4 different posts that you
> referred to George driving under the influence. George has released
one
> of the best country albums of the last 10 years this past year and has
> noination for Single Of The Year. How does that not merita
performance
> slot? Furthermore, he is the greatest living country singer on the
> planet, a legend, someone who's been i this business for over 40
years.
> He not only deserves to be on the show, he deserves his full 3 mins.,
23
> seconds. How about we cut Shania back to 60 seconds. She's the one

who
> should be thrown in jail for polluting the airwaves with her pop,
> bubble-gum fluff that she tries to pass off as country music.

Thank you Heath... Some people just don't know when to shut up...

Craig Franck

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Hea...@webtv.net (Heath Seremet) wrote:
>Interesting. George is boycotting because they asked him to do a 60
>second version of "Choices" and he felt he should be allowed to sing the
>whole song. Perfectly valid reason. LeAnn on the other hand is
>boycotting because she wasn't nominated. In oher words, another temper
>tantrum.

That's doesn't mean she had a temper tantrum. She's not performing
or up for anything, so why show up just to hand someone an award?
I'm sure Trisha will be able to handle that.

>In fact, Mike Curb has left Curb Records and Music Row because
>of the deal with George and because LeAnn was "overlooked" by the CMA's
>this year.

That's funny. I heard he was auctioning the company off over at
eBay and was donating whatever he got for it to the Church of
Scientology.

>Go on, Mike & LeAnn, take your toys and go home!

Now that sounds like a temper tantrum.

--
Craig
clfr...@worldnet.att.net

KevJCoyne

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

>Hea...@webtv.net (Heath Seremet) wrote:
>>Interesting. George is boycotting because they asked him to do a 60
>>second version of "Choices" and he felt he should be allowed to sing the
>>whole song. Perfectly valid reason. LeAnn on the other hand is
>>boycotting because she wasn't nominated. In oher words, another temper
>>tantrum.
>
>That's doesn't mean she had a temper tantrum. She's not performing
>or up for anything, so why show up just to hand someone an award?
>I'm sure Trisha will be able to handle that.

I'm sure she would be able to. Thankfully, Trisha will be performing instead,
as she has on every CMA telecast since 1991.

Country Boy

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

WLipi19921

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

>LOL! And drunk! Maybe he'd run one of the over!

Yes, drunk and running a person over. Yes, these are two things I want my
favorite artist to be and do. Being a drunk is such an admirable trait in a
person. Then maybe he can get in his car after and run some more people over
after the show. Man, driving and drinking and running people over what a
performance that would be for old George.

Wlipi

WLipi19921

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
>I'm sure there are some who
>would agree with you, but I'll bet there's at least 50,000 people in
>Nashville who would bitch-slap you for talking that way about Mr. Jones.
>Especially since you're not from around here.
>
>-Heath

Your sure doing a good job of promoting tourism for Nashville. Such a friendly
and non-judgmental place to visit. I am from Michigan, would they "bitch slap"
or run me over w/ their pickup trucks?? No, wait they might just set their old
southern hound dogs loose on me. I hope the rest of Nashville is as welcoming
and non-threating as you are :) I don't have any overalls and I lost my straw
hat, and I graduated from high school, Am I still welcome?

WLipi19921

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
> She's the one who
>should be thrown in jail for polluting the airwaves with her pop,
>bubble-gum fluff that she tries to pass off as country music.
>
>-Heath

Yes, your right.

Shania should be the one thrown in jail because her "crime" is so much worse
then "Drunky".
I mean singing music that does not match your particular taste is so much worse
then, lets say, driving drunk and endangering the lives of innocent people.

I say her punishment should at least be a life sentence.
And for George we can forget about that whole silly incident, I mean at least
he did not break the bottle found inside his car. We should let him sing his
whole song, while drinking some Whisky. Everyone can gather the children around
the t.v and watch him drink and sing, drink and sing. What a great influence he
will be! Man, how I long for the good old days of country music.
Wlipi

Heath Seremet

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Craig Franck wrote this abot LeAnn Whines:

<<That's doesn't mean she had a temper tantrum. She's not performing or
up for anything, so why show up just to hand someone an award? I'm sure
Trisha will be able to handle that.>>
--------------------------
Are you being sarcastic? I saw that you quoted our friend Dale Houston
at the bottom of your signature, so I had to ask.

Heath Seremet

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
wlipi19921 writes:
<<Yes, drunk and running a person over. Yes, these are two things I want
my favorite artist to be and do. Being a drunk is such an admirable
trait in a person. Then maybe he can get in his car after and run some
more people over after the show. Man, driving and drinking and running
people over what a performance that would be for old George.>>
--------------------------------------
It's just a shame LeAnn won't be at the show, or he could run her over,
too!

Heath Seremet

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
wlipi19921 wrote:
<<Your sure doing a good job of promoting tourism for Nashville. Such a
friendly and non-judgmental place to visit. I am from Michigan, would
they "bitch slap" or run me over w/ their pickup trucks?? No, wait they
might just set their old southern hound dogs loose on me. I hope the
rest of Nashville is as welcoming and non-threating as you are :) I
don't have any overalls and I lost my straw hat, and I graduated from
high school, Am I still welcome?>>
------------------
It's obvious from your posts that you have a great sense of humor. It
just wish you realized that my comments were also made in jest.
Nashville is a wonderful place, with wonderful people. We are not all
illbillies here. But we do take our traditional country music
seriously, as well as our heroes. George Jones is one of our heroes.
Yes, he's had problems with alcohol and drugs, but so have a lot of
people. He is still argueably the greatest country singer alive.
Perhaps the reason you don't understand is because your idea of a role
model is Shania Twain, someone who has to use her body to be successful.
Guess what little girls, if you diet a lot and wear skimpy clothes, then
you too could marry a rich, famous producer and become a big star!

Heath Seremet

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
wlipi19921 wrote:
<<And for George we can forget about that whole silly incident, I mean
at least he did not break the bottle found inside his car. We should let
him sing his whole song, while drinking some Whisky. Everyone can gather
the children around the t.v and watch him drink and sing, drink and
sing. What a great influence he will be! Man, how I long for the good
old days of country music.>>
-------------------------------
I'd pay to see that! But only if he had a cigarette dangling from his
lips as well.

EllieArroway

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Would you rather a whore from the US perform? Some people just can't
accept change. You want your music to fit into one little box, all
sounding the same. If it is a little different, you scream in protest
because you are being exposed to something new. If you don't like it,
don't watch. Maybe she dresses wild sometimes, but Shania is no whore.
At least she usually keeps most of herself covered, unlike, hmmmm...
Lil' Kim, perhaps? I wonder if you would be complaining if it was Lisa
Angelle being talked about. Her style, as far as her video is
concerned, looks like something from a soft-porn flick, but her voice
could be considered more country than Shania's. She isn't Canadian,
either, is she?
-Lisa

--
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of peopl

Check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Omega/6537/index

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

EllieArroway

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Yeah... what's next? Duets between Britney Spears and Merle Haggard? I
thought this award show was for people with singing *talent*, not so-so
lipsyching skills. Uh-oh, now I'm going to have the little airheads
after me...
-Lisa
In article <bieD3.8875$N77.6...@typ11.nn.bcandid.com>,
"lain" <la...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> With these covetted spots, I'm surely glad that they could fit N'Sync

&
> Jewel into the *C*MAs !
>
> JSTONE9352 <jston...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > From USA Today Sept. 13:
> >
> > Controversy over booking practices for the Country Music
> > Association Awards show threatens to cast a cloud over
> > the event, a week and a half before the annual ceremony.
> > The trouble centers on the absence of George Jones and
> > LeAnn Rimes and the apparent domination of the show by
> > two music conglomerates. Jones was offered a shortened
> > performance of single of the year "Choices"; Rimes was asked
> > to present an award. Both declined.
> > "George believe that the fans and the public get frustrated
> > over these very abbreviated songs," says Evelyn Shriver, head
> > of Asylum Records, for which Jones records. "Rightly or
> > wrongly, he doesn't believe he's like a baby act that has to
> > do this."
> > As of Friday, approximately two-thirds of the acts scheduled
> > for the show record for either Universal Music or Bertelsmann Music.
> > Last week Curb Records chief Mike Curb resigned from the performers
> > selection committee in protest. The CMA's Ed Benson says that as the
> > show "becomes more significant, people become more covetous of
> > those slots. Quite a few artists are reducing the time of their
songs."
> > Single of the year nominees Lonestar and Mark Wills plan to
> > perform abbreviated versions of their contending songs on the show,
> > which airs Sept. 22 on CBS. Other scheduled performers include
> > Merle Haggard and Jewel, Alabama and 'N Syne, George Strait, and
> > Shania Twain.
> >

> > So.... is George Jones right? Do you prefer to hear a song in its
> > entirety or is having a shortend version of a song OK for you?

Ray Zuniga

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
In article <455-37E0...@newsd-623.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

Heath Seremet <Hea...@webtv.net> wrote:
>toward George. If that's the case, then I feel sorry for him. I
>certainly don't want to put anyone on a pedestal for driving drunk, I
>just think it's irrelevant to the situation. In fact, it was never
>proven that George was actually wasted. So why does he keep bringing it
>up? Kevin is usually quite reasonable, but this really got under his

You are correct Heath nothing was proven. It didn't have to be.
George Jones admitted guilt in a court of law. A plea bargain. In
order for a plea bargain to happen it means the prosecutor has to
have had more evidence for a harsher charge but decided in the
end to offer a lesser charge because it may have been more
difficult(although not impossible) to prove the harsher charge.
For more information see:

http://cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/News/9905/12/george.jones.ap/index.html

>skin. Perhaps he just doesn't understand what Jones means to the
>tradition of country music, just like we traditional fans can't figure
>out what he sees in Eileen Twain.

Understanding what someone means to country music was not what he
was posting about. Just because he is some great entertainer does
not mean we should excuse actions like above. He was wrong and has
even admitted being wrong. I hope he has learned something, but
given his track record, I wouldn't bet on it. Will this stop me
from buying or listening to his music, nope. Will it lower my
respect for the man, possibly. Don't know him personally so I
don't want to jump to any conclusions. But usually actions do
speak louder then words to me.

And for your information, I've been a country fan all my life and
am particularly fond of the traditional sound and traditional
country music myself. I also happen to like Eileen Twain. Go
figure...

Ray
rv...@yahoo.com

Scott

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Elmer Alley wrote:

> You do get your share. Both you and Scott have points to make. I wish you
> and he could end the feud and
> get back to the interesting discussions of which you are capable. I was an
> attack dog when Stella was a part of the group but I was always felt
> diminished when I did it. I hope I learned my lesson.

You guys were funny! I don't think you should feel diminished at all.
Not even to take sides because I respect all your extensive experience,
and I also enjoyed Stella's attitude and creativity, you were both very
clever. Patsi and Stella were funny too. I miss Glen, he was hilarious.

I apologize to the group for too many posts. I know I don't have
anywhere near as many as "Country" Boy. Some people do tell me they're
glad someone is trying to put him in his place.

Craig Franck

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Hea...@webtv.net (Heath Seremet) wrote:
>Craig=A0Franck wrote this abot LeAnn Whines:

><<That's doesn't mean she had a temper tantrum. She's not performing or
>up for anything, so why show up just to hand someone an award? I'm sure
>Trisha will be able to handle that.>>
>--------------------------
>Are you being sarcastic? I saw that you quoted our friend Dale Houston
>at the bottom of your signature, so I had to ask.

Somewhat. I guess it was a tease that last year they had LeAnn
perform a song and then gave the award for it to Trisha.

Craig Franck

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
wlipi...@aol.com (WLipi19921) wrote:

>>LOL! And drunk! Maybe he'd run one of the over!
>
>Yes, drunk and running a person over. Yes, these are two things I want my
>favorite artist to be and do. Being a drunk is such an admirable trait in a
>person.

I think it was meant as a joke. On another humorous note, there was a
recent story in the papers about a guy who lost his license for DWI,
so he drove his tractor to the liquor store. Twice a day for several
days before they busted him. I guess he thought it was still ok to
operate farm machinery on a public way with no license. Oops. Fortu-
nately, he didn't run anyone over.

Coop

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

Scott wrote:

> I apologize to the group for too many posts. I know I don't have
> anywhere near as many as "Country" Boy. Some people do tell me they're
> glad someone is trying to put him in his place.

Hey Scott,
I enjoy your post.

Coop

KevJCoyne

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99

>It's obvious from your posts that you have a great sense of humor. It
>just wish you realized that my comments were also made in jest.
>Nashville is a wonderful place, with wonderful people. We are not all
>illbillies here. But we do take our traditional country music
>seriously, as well as our heroes. George Jones is one of our heroes.
>Yes, he's had problems with alcohol and drugs, but so have a lot of
>people. He is still argueably the greatest country singer alive.
>Perhaps the reason you don't understand is because your idea of a role
>model is Shania Twain, someone who has to use her body to be successful.
>Guess what little girls, if you diet a lot and wear skimpy clothes, then
>you too could marry a rich, famous producer and become a big star!
>
>-Heath
>"I'm from the country.... and I like it that way!"

The most laughable thing about all of this is that I love traditional country
music, from Marty Robbins to Loretta Lynn. I've never claimed that Jones
wasn't a legend and didn't deserve respect for his contributions to the genre.
My problem from the start has been that I believe he is stil within the law,
and by not at least suspending his driver's license until he completed his
probation, he's in the position to endanger lives. It would probably take him
killing somebody while behind the wheel, maybe even himself, for
the severity of the situation to sink in with his apologists here. I hope that
doesn't happen, because I'd rather have you guys think I'm overreacting than
see innocent people lose their lives.

As far as the CMA's go, good for him. I'm glad he and LeAnn are boycotting.
I'll get my legend fix when Dolly Parton, one of the greatest country
singer-songwriters of all time, performs and is inducted into the Hall of Fame.
This mythical agism Jones claims hasn't kept Dolly from performing on the show
eight times this decade.

Lastly, Shania Twain isn't my role model. I just enjoy her music and find her
performances entertaining. If I was going to pick a role model within the
country music industry, it would be Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Pam Tillis or
Emmylou Harris. That said, I have no problem with her being a role model for
little girls. I know the message she's sending out through her image and music
is a positive one, and your dismissal of it doesn't change that.

wyld anjel

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Scott <westsi...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom> wrote in message
> > > help believing it's only because of Jewel. I think it was Marty Stuart
> > > who said CMA stands for Country My A..! Marty was right.

well quite frankly i'm excited to see merle and jewel together..she might be
"pop" or whatever you consider her but she's very talented..

Life is an Everlasting Journey Travel with your eyes OPEN!
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/fields/6766
Do you know your rights? Do you have your non-i.d.?
have you registered? http://www.findme.org
"...it's funny how we feel so much but we cannot say a word,
we are screaming inside, but we can't be heard."

wyld anjel

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
> It's just a shame LeAnn won't be at the show, or he could run her over,
> too!
>
> -Heath
> "I'm from the country.... and I like it that way!"

****

god if anyone needs to be run over she does..why is she boycotting??

anjel

Scott

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Country Boy wrote:

> Scott wrote ...

> > I apologize to the group for too many posts. I know I don't have
> > anywhere near as many as "Country" Boy. Some people do tell me they're
> > glad someone is trying to put him in his place.
>
> And just who are you to put *anyone* in their place?

Someone that doesn't like BS or BSers, especially when they spout their
baseless crap on most every subject, and are too busy talking to learn
anything, or even keep track of the conversation.

> Usenet is for the
> free exchange of ideas, not for you to decide who can speak and who can't.

Fine. I would like to freely offer my idea that you're a worthless BSing
bag of hot air.

> You've proven you can't deal with issues, so you attack personalities.

You sound like a stuck CD. People here know I deal with issues with
everybody that's worth it. You're not.

blue...@ac.net

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
In article <19990916010641...@ng-fy1.aol.com>,

wlipi...@aol.com (WLipi19921) wrote:

> >LOL! And drunk! Maybe he'd run one of the over!
>
> Yes, drunk and running a person over. Yes, these are two things I
want my
> favorite artist to be and do. Being a drunk is such an admirable
trait in a
> person. Then maybe he can get in his car after and run some more
people over
> after the show. Man, driving and drinking and running people over
what a
> performance that would be for old George.

Aren't you a holier than thou wit. All I know is that George Jones is
the greatest living country singer in the world and I agree with him
declining to be on that show with all the big hats. The way you put it
he's drunk all the time. JB
> Wlipi

Country Boy

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99

Scott <westsi...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom> wrote in article
<37E134...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom>...

> I apologize to the group for too many posts. I know I don't have
> anywhere near as many as "Country" Boy. Some people do tell me they're
> glad someone is trying to put him in his place.

And just who are you to put *anyone* in their place? Usenet is for the

free exchange of ideas, not for you to decide who can speak and who can't.

You've proven you can't deal with issues, so you attack personalities.

This is not an admirable quality.

Country Boy

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99

Scott <westsi...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom> wrote in article

<37E1DC...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom>...
> Country Boy wrote:

> > And just who are you to put *anyone* in their place?
>

> Someone that doesn't like BS or BSers, especially when they spout their

> baseless crap on most every subject.

Pot calling the kettle black syndrome

WLipi19921

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
>Yeah... what's next? Duets between Britney Spears and Merle Haggard?

Yeah, that would be cool.They could sing the old classics like
"Cuff Me Baby, One More Time" Or "Book Me Baby,One More Time" Tunes that Merle
surely can relate to.
Wlipi

WLipi19921

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
>Nashville is a wonderful place, with wonderful people. We are not all
>illbillies here. But we do take our traditional country music
>seriously, as well as our heroes. George Jones is one of our heroes

I have been to Nashville several times and I have enjoyed being their. I met
at least two couples who were not siblings or first cousins, so the south is
improving:)

Regarding George, I think he is an excellent singer, but what I do not condone
is his attitude, behavior, and actions. That is why I do not think much of him.
He whines,drinks, then whines some more when he does not get his way.Kevin is
right he should feel lucky he did not kill somebody or land in jail. All he
does is complain about the good old days when he got so much respect. He does
not give a damn about the new artists, he so is selfish, it is their time to
shine.

>Perhaps the reason you don't understand is because your idea of a role
>model is Shania Twain, someone who has to use her body to be successful.

Your perspective concerning Shania is so wrong on so many levels and it is
really degrading towards women. Just because she shows her stomach she is
popular, that is the gist of your arguement.
Your so offended that she has a sexy image that your willing to forget all the
good things she has done?
I mean being sexy = a horrible role model?
I think your arguement puts women in the dark ages. Why can't she be sexy and
succesful? So her stomach sold over 30 million albums? Why, if it is her image
that sells, wasn't it 30 million posters, not albums, if it's her image that
people are after? I mean 70% of her albums are bought by women and 70% of her
concerts are attended by women. So your excuse for her popularity is shallow
and ridiculous.

>Guess what little girls, if you diet a lot and wear skimpy clothes, then
>you too could marry a rich, famous producer and become a big star!

So now your upset that she is skinny. Yes, a tub of lard is a much better role
model for young girls to follow. Eating right and staying in shape is horrible
for little girls to do. Skimpy clothes??? She shows her stomach, she shows her
stomach, she shows her stomach!

And your last comment is really insulting. You imply that she has done nothing
in regards to building her career. She has worked extremely hard to get to
where she is at. And I agree w/ Viva when he said it's a typical male loser
reaction. Because it is. When a women comes into succes on her own, by being
independent, smart. and savy. It can cause an insecure male to feel threatened.
And in the case of Shania,who happens to be beautiful, her looks are an easy
target. It's an easy way to bring her down to nothing. Equate her looks w/ her
popularity instead of giving her credit. So typical. A good looking women must
be using their looks. Sadly, too typical.

Actually what Shania has shown young girls is, if you work hard in,take care of
your family, love yourself, set goals, have good morals, and basically be a
good person then you to can decide what your future will be. And then they can
decide who they want to marry, be it a prince or a farmer. Shania has turned
the tables around and shown women that they have the power to choose, finally.
That is why she is an awesome role model.
Wlipi

James Michael Randorff

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
In article <37DEE6...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom>, Scott
<westsi...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom> writes:

>I think he should drive a tractor across the stage while N'Sync or Jewel
>are on.

OK, I'll give you N'Sync, Scott, but Jewel is more of a talent, and more
country, than several of the acts that are gonna be on the CMAs. She has said
many times that country is her favorite form of music... and might I remind
you that, among other types of music, country music is rooted in folk music.

Later,
~~ James Michael Randorff (jran...@aol.com)
~~ http://hometown.aol.com/jrandorff/index.html

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world... she walks into
mine." -- The late, great, Humphrey Bogart, from "Casablanca"

James Michael Randorff

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
In article <01beff2f$150a60a0$07b6fcd1@default>, "Country Boy"
<UDL...@prodigy.com> writes:

>>I cannot stand hearing shortened versions of songs on awards shows, because
>>they usually cut out the parts that make the songs what they are for me.
>
>And we all know that the mass media does these shows for an audience of
>one: You. It's all about you. It's not about fairness, or getting as many
>artists their share of the spotlight. It's about making the songs what
>they are for you. Because God knows you've never heard this song before.

I'm sorry, CB... what the heck was I thinking, posting my opinion in a
newsgroup. Thanks... and I want you to remind everyone else that posts their
opinion around here that they are not to post anything that they believe in
(unless, of course, it happens to agree with what you are thinking).

Teri

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
Ray Zuniga wrote:
>You are correct Heath nothing was proven. It didn't have to be.
>George Jones admitted guilt in a court of law. A plea bargain. In
>order for a plea bargain to happen it means the prosecutor has to
>have had more evidence for a harsher charge but decided in the
>end to offer a lesser charge because it may have been more
>difficult(although not impossible) to prove the harsher charge.

Once again, you're wrong. A plea bargain isn't offered because they had enough
evidence for a more serious charge. A plea bargain, straight and simple, is
offered to keep the courts from clogging up with cases. In many cases, they
offer the plea bargain because they KNOW they don't have enough to convict and
they hope they can scare the person into admitting guilt and paying with some
time. And in many cases, especially someone who has been guilty of such crimes
in the past, the defendant pleads guilty in a plea bargain because he doesn't
want his past used against him. It does happen.

KevJCoyne

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99

>In article <37DEE6...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom>, Scott
><westsi...@yahoo.USPAMBACKcom> writes:
>
>>I think he should drive a tractor across the stage while N'Sync or Jewel
>>are on.
>
>OK, I'll give you N'Sync, Scott, but Jewel is more of a talent, and more
>country, than several of the acts that are gonna be on the CMAs. She has
>said
>many times that country is her favorite form of music... and might I remind
>you that, among other types of music, country music is rooted in folk music.
>
>Later,
>~~ James Michael Randorff (jran...@aol.com)
>~~

What I love about Merle performing with Jewel is that it shows how even the
most traditional country music has had a wide-ranging effect on the artistry of
singers in different genres. I'm sure you could find a lot of other pop/rock
stars who count Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson among their idols, and Tammy
Wynette influenced everybody from Elton John to Melissa Ethridge, if her
tribute CD is a fair indication. Plus Jewel can yodel with the best of 'em.

XG

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
KevJCoyne <kevj...@aol.com> wrote in message
<snip> >Plus Jewel can yodel with the best of 'em.
> -----------------------------------
> Kevin J. Coyne

OH MY LORD can that girl yodel!!!! i got to see her at reunion in dallas in
july-absolutely incredible show...

anjel

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/fields/6766
Have you registered? http://findme.org
what's up in texas? ---->http://www.txcare.org
Do you have your non-i.d.??
If it's not fun it ain't worth doing!

Ray Zuniga

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
In article <19990917045323...@ng-cn1.aol.com>,

Teri <jsta...@aol.com> wrote:

>Once again, you're wrong. A plea bargain isn't offered because they had enough
>evidence for a more serious charge. A plea bargain, straight and simple, is
>offered to keep the courts from clogging up with cases. In many cases, they
>offer the plea bargain because they KNOW they don't have enough to convict and
>they hope they can scare the person into admitting guilt and paying with some

Actually I'm not wrong. There are two sides to every court case.
Yes the scare tactic is used as you mention above but it only works
if you have something more substantial you can prosecute with. How
do you scare someone into pleading for something lesser if you don't have
something greater you can charge them with? In order to offer a
plea bargain, you have to be willing to try the heavier charge in a
court of law or at least have some evidence to back up the charge or else
it has "no teeth".

And yes, the prosecutor will offer the lesser charge if they have
fears of losing the case on the greater charge but it doesn't
necessarily mean that they have no way of winning on the greater
charge. If that were true the lawyer for the defendant would go
for the greater charge to get their client off and, at least in
Tennessee, get the record of the court proceeding expunged.
It's a game of cat and mouse. Obviously there was enough evidence
around to get George to make the plea that he did.

To put it simply, if George was truly not guilty, then why did he
make the plea?

In any case it's quite possible that if it had been you or I in
that postion, we may very well have faced the greater charge IMHO.

Ray
rv...@yahoo.com

Teri

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
Ray,

Hate to say this, but having been in court on both sides of the fence, (as a
criminal AND as a lawyer) you really don't know what you're talking about here.
But that's ok. Not everyone does.

Scare tactics work when the DA/ADA is a convincing enough actor/actress. In
some cases, it works if you tell someone they're going away for a huge term,
when you know you can't get them for that. Just in case you've never seen it
happen, try watching Law & Order. The show is very true to life, and many
times they try to plea out a case they know they don't have the evidence to
convict on. It's called bluffing, just like in poker, only in real life the
stakes are higher.

Ray Zuniga

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
In article <19990917143413...@ng-cj1.aol.com>,

Teri <jsta...@aol.com> wrote:

>Scare tactics work when the DA/ADA is a convincing enough actor/actress. In
>some cases, it works if you tell someone they're going away for a huge term,
>when you know you can't get them for that. Just in case you've never seen it
>happen, try watching Law & Order. The show is very true to life, and many
>times they try to plea out a case they know they don't have the evidence to
>convict on. It's called bluffing, just like in poker, only in real life the
>stakes are higher.

Bluffing goes both ways Teri. As I said in my last post it's a cat
and mouse game.

If you think there is only one reason that a plea bargain is ever
offered, then I'm not the one being mistaken. Here are a few
others you're obviously not thinking of:

-political The prosecutor wants to keep their conviction rates high

-resources The prosecutor decides the case does not warrant the cost
of going to trial and justice can be served by getting the quicker
conviction on the lesser charge.

I'm sure there are many more reasons.

"Law and Order" only shows the glorified cases, not the real day to
day things that go on in a court of law. And if you read my last
post clearly, I agreed with your asessment about a prosecutor doing
so when they feel their case is not strong enough. So explain to
me how I'm wrong here?

Ray
rv...@yahoo.com

Faith

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
I GUESS I'LL GET ON MY SOAP-BOX ON THIS ONE!!!

What bothers me about the whole issue is that the CMA's is just one
more "Arena" in which the traditionalist of "Country Music" are being
are being squeezed, and or pushed aside, in-order to allow more room
for the "POP" Country Artist's to be seen and heard. I'm aware that the
show has a limited amount of time in which to accommodate all of the
performers.

However, If they "THINNED-THE-HERD" a little and weeded out some of the
artist's that don't really belong under the "Country Music" Category,
in the first place, more time would be available for the "Country"
artist's that do truly belong under the "Country Music" Category.

I think they should establish a new Sub-Category called, "POP" COUNTRY
under the "Country Music" Category. Or perhaps they should just create
a whole new category called "POP" country.

JUST LIKE THEY DID FOR "ROCK & ROLL" CALLING IT "ROCK" OR "HARD" ROCK
OR "HEAVY METAL" OR "RAP" BECAUSE IT DIDN'T FIT UNDER THE ROCK & ROLL
CATEGORY!!!!!!!!!!

Creating a new category called "POP" Country for the artists that
really don't belong under the "Country" Music category would open up
some space for some new "Country" Music Artist's, whom are
truly "Country," and want to get into the country music industry.
This would also put "Country Music" back on a more even playing field
with regards to competing for music awards in the various categories
under the Heading of "Country Music."

Artist's like Mandy Barnette, (whom is only 28) Heather Miles, BR-549
are all very good Country Music artist's playing the more traditional
style of "Country." Heather Miles is also a damm good song writer.
However, there is no room for these talented artist's or any
new "Traditional" country artist's in the "Country Music" Industry.
At least not to any great success.

"BIG-BUSINESSES" (record labels and broadcasting companies) are trying
to control the Country Music Industry. (they could care less
about "MUSIC" or type of music) To them, the country music industry is
used as a vehicle to control, manipulate and "MILK" for the sole
purpose of making as much money as possible. This is not about music.
It's about making money at all costs!!!!

Therefore, "Big-Business" doesn't want to make any room for the
more "Traditional" country artist's new and old. This is sad because I,
personally, think that "Traditional" country music could be as popular
as any other music, but today's country music fan has not been exposed,
on a large scale, to traditional country music. This is due to the
fact that the record labels won't allow most of the country artist's,
even the artist's with a true passion for Traditional country music, to
record traditional style country. They want them to record middle
of the road "POP" Country.

"WHO'S GONNA FILL THEM SHOES" ????????????????

I like Shania Twain's music and several of the other artist's, that I
don't really consider to be country, but I also really really like the
traditional style of country music. I want to hear it on the radio and
I want to see some of these (and future new artist's) to eventually get
on some of these country music award shows to be recognized for
there talents in the "Country Music" Industry. (They are not "POP"
country and can not compete in the current "POP" country market)

George Jones is right!! He's not a "Newbie" on the country music
scene.
Lonestar, I like them, but I just saw them in a small country bar in
Calif. 2 1/2 years ago. Mark Wills, I like him as well, but he was
just nominated for the "New-horizon" award last year.

So they have had a few good hits as of late!!!!

George Jones is not on their level in the country music world.
(HERE IN THE "REAL" WORLD OF COUNTRY MUSIC)

These may never live long enough to be able to record as many "GREAT"
Country music hits as George Jones has. It's a slight to George and
shows lack of respect!!!

Do you think Merle Haggard would be allowed to perform his entire
song, or be performing at all, if Jewel wasn't performing it along
with him??

I don't know?? It begs the question.

Merle Haggard is one of my most favorite country singers, but he is not
nominated for anything that I'm aware of.

Lonestar's "Amazed" was #1 for 8 or 9 weeks and they were asked to
shorten their version.

However, Alabama and In-Sync are singing their entire song. Would they
have asked Alabama to shorten their song if In-Sync wasn't performing
along with them??

I don't know!! Again!! It begs the question!!

JUST ON "G.P." ALONE !!! I'M BOYCOTTING THE CMA'S TOOOOO!!!

This may seem unfair to the rest of the artist's. However, to me,
there comes a time, that's long over-due, when you have to
say; "Enough" and take a stand for what you believe in.
(this goes for everything thing in life)

Treating our Country music "LEGENDS" (or anyone else for that matter)
with disrespect is not what country music is all about. The roots of
country music, and it's heritage, is about love, family, good honest
folks, whom treated each other with respect, helping your neighbors
in-order to survive. Country music evolved, for the most part, from
the poor Mountain people and Southern farmer's that used music a way
of healing and overcoming the hardships in their lives. I know this
first hand. I was born in the Mountains of West Virginia and we were
very poor, but when my father would sit out on the front porch and play
his fiddle the music would lift your spirits, and some-how, made
things not seem so bad. Even if it was just for a while.
My family has been living in those mountains for the last two hundred
years, so I know what country music means to me and what it meant to
them. True! Things do change and change is good, but not to the point
where we have lost all site of the history of country music and how
much it has contributed to the success of today's artist's. The
same artist's that are, currently, making a lot of money for these
big businesses. (but big business wants more and more $money)

I don't blame any of the country artist's for how we have gotten to
this point, of uncaring with regards to the artist's of the past,
beacuse they are being controlled by the same "ASS-HOLES" that
have all of "TODAY'S" country music, both fans and artist's, by
the "BALLS."

The artist's lack control over their own music, because their
creativity is stifled , and the fan's have to listen to what is made
available to them. Therefore, both the fan and the artist's have
very little say or control over the music in the "Country" category.

"WHO'S GONNA FILL THEM SHOES" ????????????????

I'LL GET OFF OF MY SOAP-BOX NOW!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the long "E-BOOK" POSTING

Take Care All!!!!!!!!
Faith

Country Boy

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99

Faith <Faye...@Worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<7rv4qv$dsr$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

> What bothers me about the whole issue is that the CMA's is just one
> more "Arena" in which the traditionalist of "Country Music" are being
> are being squeezed, and or pushed aside, in-order to allow more room
> for the "POP" Country Artist's to be seen and heard.

I think you've hit the real reason why this has become an issue. Not that
it's true, but that some people feel this way. But this point of view
fails to take into account that Merle Haggard is performing on the show.
As is George Strait, Alan Jackson, Sara Evans, Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers,
Dwight Yoakam, and the entire event is hosted by Vince Gill.

The other thing worth stating is that this TV show isn't aimed at current
country listeners. They're hoping to draw some new fans to the genre.
That's why it's on a national network and not TNN or CMT.

> "BIG-BUSINESSES" (record labels and broadcasting companies) are trying
> to control the Country Music Industry.

If it's an industry, that makes it a business. And the CMA is an industry
trade association. Based in Nashville, with labels and radio on the board.
By definition, that's what this is. It's not a fan-based show. Neither
is the Grammy Awards.

> Mark Wills, I like him as well, but he was
> just nominated for the "New-horizon" award last year.

Actually, Mark wasn't nominated for anything last year. He just won the
ACM's Top New Male in May. That was his first award nomination.

> Merle Haggard is one of my most favorite country singers, but he is not
> nominated for anything that I'm aware of.

He hasn't put out a new album in about two years. You need to put out
music in order for it to be nominated.

> Treating our Country music "LEGENDS" (or anyone else for that matter)
> with disrespect is not what country music is all about.

Disrespect would be not inviting him at all. Inviting him and having him
throw it back at them is rude. In the country, they'd call it looking a
gift horse in the mouth.

Other than that, it was a very passionate post, Faith. I recommend that
you watch the show anyway. It sounds like there may be a few parts that
you may enjoy. Even if it's only for the tribute to Conway Twitty.

Maggie Smolkovich

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
I don't see the point in people constantly
saying that they are going to "boycott"
what FEW shows we have left that are
country music based shows. There always seems to be some kind of
controversy about awards shows, it isn't
limited to our CMA's. Anytime the
nominees are announced for the Oscar's,
the Emmy's, the Grammys, etc, the first
thing you hear are comments about who
DIDN'T get nominated. I might not agree
with some of the decisions made by the
CMA this year, but I WILL watch the show. We should be very proud of
this
show, it is the highest rated awards show
on tv, and Vince Gill does an excellent
job of hosting it. The show HAS to weave
a delicate balance to draw an audience that is not necessarily a country
music
crowd. Every year we have the opportuny to win some new fans. Speaking
from
experience, it was technically a "pop"
song ("House of Love") that drew me to
country music. For every new fan who
turns on the show or CMT or country radio
to hear Shania or the Dixie Chicks, maybe
there will be some that will be like me and
lots of my friends, who found SO MUCH
more music and looked beyond that one
artist. Am going to be at the CMA
rehearsals, so will keep you posted.

Maggie

For Vince fans check out
http://community.webtv.net/Vincepix/VINCEGILLHEREAND

or stop by:

http://community.webtv.net/Tnmaggiesmoke/MaggiesMusical

Country Boy

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99

Maggie Smolkovich <TNMAGG...@webtv.net> wrote in article
<12452-37...@newsd-161.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

> I don't see the point in people constantly
> saying that they are going to "boycott"
> what FEW shows we have left that are
> country music based shows.

Hooray! This is exactly correct. Recent history has shown that when
people don't watch country shows, the programmers don't try another kind of
country music. They dump it altogether and move on to a form of music
where the audience is less divided. The more people promote this idea of
boycotts, the less you will have country music in the mass media. Radio &
TV execs don't like controversy. They like predictable success. If airing
a country music show is going to lead to controversy, they'll just do a
Backstreet Boys special the next time.

LyndsayF

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
< So.... is George Jones right? Do you prefer to hear a song in its
> entirety or is having a shortend version of a song OK for you?>

I think they should play the whole song!!! On the Grammy's last year I was
livid when they made Aerosmith do a shortened version of their song even though
everyone else got to do the whole song.
What's the point of only playing part of it?

It is loading more messages.