Jerry Lundy passes on

Library Guy

Jan 5, 2001, 7:31:02 AM1/5/01
I've just been informed that fiddler Jerry Lundy, grandson of Emmet
Lundy, has died in the Perryville, MD., Veterans Hospital.

I have no details at present.

Library Guy

John Lupton

Jan 5, 2001, 9:52:22 AM1/5/01

I can add a little bit to Frank's news. Jerry passed away Wednesday
morning after a lengthy illness. I forget exactly when, but something
like 2 years ago, he appeared to have suffered a stroke, but further
diagnosis and testing revealed an inoperable brain tumor. I think he was
back and forth between VA hospitals in Baltimore and Perryville since
then.

Joyce Lundy Miller (widow of banjo player Ted Lundy, Jerry's cousin) is
going to be sending around news about funeral arrangements, I'll try to
pass that news on as soon as I know it.

John Lupton, Network Services Manager
SAS Computing, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA jlu...@sas.upenn.edu

John Lupton

Jan 5, 2001, 11:59:52 AM1/5/01
John Lupton wrote:

> Joyce Lundy Miller (widow of banjo player Ted Lundy, Jerry's cousin) is
> going to be sending around news about funeral arrangements, I'll try to
> pass that news on as soon as I know it.

Joyce has informed me that funeral services for Jerry will take place on
Thursday, Jan. 11 from 10-11 am at Crouch's Funeral Home in North East,
MD. Burial will be in the Veteran's Cemetery in Easton, MD.

For those with an interest in the Lundy genealogy, Joyce also gave me
some interesting information, some of which corrects previous
misunderstandings on my part:

1) Jerry's father was Everett "Fiddlin' Buck" Lundy, one of 15 children
of Emmett Lundy

2) Ted Lundy's father was Charlie Lundy, whose father was Clark Lundy.
Joyce believes that Clark and Emmett were cousins, but is not sure if
they were 1st cousins, or what the exact relationship was. If they were,
that would make Ted and Jerry 3rd cousins.

3) Bob and TJ Lundy ("Ted Jr." - formerly of Hotmud Family) are Ted's
sons.

Steve Goldfield

Jan 5, 2001, 1:58:34 PM1/5/01
In article <3A55FD88...@sas.upenn.edu>,
John Lupton <jlu...@sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
#>John Lupton wrote:
#>
[...]

TJ was playing fiddle with Bob Paisley last year. I had a
nice talk with him.

Steve
(8<})>(8<})>(8<})>(8<})>(8<})>(8<})>(8<})>(8<})>(8<})>(8<})>
Steve Goldfield <stev...@best.com> * Oakland, California
* Home Page--<http://www.best.com/~stevesag/stevesag.html> *
I'm not over the hill. I am the hill.

John Lupton

Jan 5, 2001, 2:50:59 PM1/5/01
Steve Goldfield wrote:

> In article <3A55FD88...@sas.upenn.edu>,
> John Lupton <jlu...@sas.upenn.edu> wrote:

> #>3) Bob and TJ Lundy ("Ted Jr." - formerly of Hotmud Family) are Ted's
> #>sons.
>
> TJ was playing fiddle with Bob Paisley last year. I had a
> nice talk with him.

Actually, both Bob and TJ are working for Paisley these days, as is Don
Eldreth Jr. (Don Sr. worked on and off in the Southern Mountain Boys for
a number of years). Danny and Mike Paisley, of course, have worked for
their dad for years.

Carl Baron

Jan 9, 2001, 8:11:32 AM1/9/01

Library Guy wrote:

In today's Cecel Whig:

Melvin Lundy

Melvin "Jerry" Lundy, 58 years, of Elkton, Maryland, died Wednesday,
January 3, 2001 in Perry Point VA Medical Center. He was born in Elkton,

Maryland on December 26, 1942, the son of the late Everett J. Lundy and
Ethel M. Green. Mr. Lundy was a lifelong resident of Cecil County.

Mr. Lundy served in the United States Army during Vietnam as a
machinist.
He worked at Thiokol in Elkton as a machinist before he served in the
Army.
He also owned a Millworks business at his home. He was a 3rd Generation
raditional Music Fiddler nationally known Bluegrass, Country and Oldtime

Music Fiddler. He taught fiddling workshops at Davis and Elkins College
in
Elkins, West Virginia. He played at President Carter's Inauguration, for

rincess Anne when she visited the area and in Cairo, Egypt. Mr. Lundy
played with Ted Lundy and the Southern Mountain Boys, the Bob Paisley
Band, Country Ham and many others. His music is played regularly on
CUD in Newark, Delaware on Saturdays from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM and
stations such as that in Delaware and WAMU American University in
ashington, D.C.

Mr. Lundy is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Harry Randolph "Joyce Lundy",

Findlay, Ohio, and Mrs. James Coale "June Lundy", Elkton, Maryland.

Funeral services will be held on Thursday, January 11, 2001 at 11:00 AM
at
Crouch Funeral Home, 127 South Main Street, North East, Maryland, where
family and friends may call one hour before the funeral service. Rev.
Grant
Nelson, Glasgow Baptist Church, Elkton, Maryland will officiate.
Interment will
be in Maryland Veterans Cemetery, Hurlock, Maryland.

Contributions may be made to the Eastern Paralyzed Veterans Association
in
care of Crouch Funeral Home, 127 South Main Street, North East, MD 21901

Carl