Re: Advice for vinyl record storage boxes?

Rogue Terrorist State

Oct 14, 2004, 9:16:33 PM10/14/04
In <2h5um0da32ka0t8ki...@4ax.com> Diamond Dave <dmine45...@yahoo.com> writes:

>Can anyone recommend a good place to get vinyl record (12 ") storage
>boxes? I assume hard plastic boxes where I can store my records
>vertically is the best bet, but thought I'd ask to see what people
>recommend before I search on Google.

They're rather expensive, but I do like the Bags Unlimited
corrugated plastic or cardboard record storage boxes:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp?cat=2&subcat=14&product_id=xlp65

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp?cat=2&subcat=14&product_id=xlp65pc

If that's too expensive, Uline.com has 12.5 inch cardboard boxes.

There are cardboard box manufacturers all over the US.
(I don't know where you're from, but I'm sure there are
many cardboard box suppliers wherever you are on this planet.)

The box has to be at least 12.5 by 12.5 inches, or better yet,
12.75 by 12.75 inches.
In my experience, 13 inch cubes are a bit too "roomy" and hard
to stack.
12.5 is just right, unless you have any lp jackets that are oversized.
(LOTS of older record jackets are larger than 12.5 square)

You should be able to buy them in 25 count bundles for about $25 tops,
plus shipping.
Quantity orders from a cardboard box wholesaler would be significantly
less than that.

If there's a record label near you, talk to them and find out where
they or their pressing plant is getting boxes from.

I personally don't like "cube" boxes...they're too heavy when full.
The Bags Unlimited boxes are the perfect size, but the price
is astronomical. I wish someone would make a cheap knock-off with the
same dimensions.

Good luck.

~~~~R.T.S.
[ Answer: "Top posting". ]
[ Question: What's the most annoying thing on Usenet? ]

asukakawai

Oct 20, 2004, 5:44:59 PM10/20/04
Diamond Dave <dmine45...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<2h5um0da32ka0t8ki...@4ax.com>...

> Can anyone recommend a good place to get vinyl record (12 ") storage
> boxes? I assume hard plastic boxes where I can store my records
> vertically is the best bet, but thought I'd ask to see what people
> recommend before I search on Google.
>
> Dave

Hello. Do you know "UHAUL"? You can get the best size boxes for vinyl
record(12')there. You can storage more than 100 records in SMALL
BOX(16" x 12" x 12" (1.5 cu/ft))!!! It is just $1.70/ea. You can check
this web site/////// http://www.uhaul.com/boxes/

Good luck!

EgwEimi

Oct 20, 2004, 6:52:46 PM10/20/04
If these are collectible records intended for permanent storage, I recommend
contacting Bill Cole Enterprises. They sell ACID-FREE archival materials,
which you'll definitely want.

http://www.bcemylar.com/

Cole doesn't list LP BOXES on his site, but since he does sell other large
boxes, it may be that he just doesn't get that many requests for them.

He does sell individual Mylar sleeves for LP's. I bought 100 from him not long
ago and am glad I did. They don't "turn to acid" the way that plastic bags do.

If you're not interested in archival (acid free) storage, the 2 Buds have
cardboard LP boxes that are reasonably sturdy.

http://www.the2buds.com/suboxr33.htm

Frank

Vinylville

Oct 23, 2004, 12:11:05 AM10/23/04

"Diamond Dave" <dmine45...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2h5um0da32ka0t8ki...@4ax.com...
> Can anyone recommend a good place to get vinyl record (12 ") storage
> boxes? I assume hard plastic boxes where I can store my records
> vertically is the best bet, but thought I'd ask to see what people
> recommend before I search on Google.
>
> Dave

The plastic and cardboard corrugated boxes from Bags Unlimited and other vendors are nice but over the past couple of years, Rubbermate, Sterilite and other container and storage manufacturers have broadened their product lines. I have found containers that work wonderfully for both LPs and 45s... with ample space for dividers and lids that fit tight to keep out dust. They also stack better and will definitely stay in better shape longer. As far as price, a 24x17x13 latch box from Sterilite is around $10, where as Bags Unlimited's cardboard corrugated box which measures 13x13x11 are $8... and that's not including shipping, unless you live in the eastern US.

I found the container mentioned above at Target but have seen them and similar ones elsewhere like Wal-Mart, etc.

...Vinylville

Vinyl... as in the stuff records are made of... not floor covering.

Stephen Worth

Oct 23, 2004, 3:48:27 AM10/23/04
In article <tRked.9049$q%7....@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, Vinylville
<vinyl...@door.net> wrote:

> I found the container mentioned above at Target but have seen them and
> similar ones elsewhere like Wal-Mart, etc.

I've heard that Ikea has a stackable storage cube that perfectly fits
LPs... I wouldn't be caught dead in an Ikea store though...

See ya
Steve

--
VIP RECORDS: Rare 78 rpm recordings on CD in great sound

rjt...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2015, 7:28:18 PM12/8/15
Uhaul small moving box is a perfect 12 5/8" x 12 5/8" x 16" it fits vinyl perfectly! A little too weak for carrying with the handles but for storasge it'd perfect. 99c each!!!!!

box.e...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2017, 11:16:25 PM6/7/17
Hi, I need your help, 2017 now... I buy Sterilite storage boxes for my records, 1 week ago, the size of gasket boxes http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=930&ProductCategory=305&section=1 are just perfect for 12 records, and they have other small perfect for singles, also other perfect for cds! they seems think cover all music formats. THE BIG QUESTION IS: PLASTIC IS SAFE FOR RECORDS??? this boxes are too dirty, I buy them on wallmart and believe is so hard remove some oily thin, I clean a lot and now are more clean but still get dirty and is not just dust! it seems the plastic is not too quality, is not cheap but not great.

ANYONE HERE USE THOSE Sterilite boxes for records?????

I add to 200gram of silica gel inside the boxes to prevent mold due the humidity.