Franz Schmidt (was: Most underrated composer)

Francis Cox

Jun 17, 1994, 4:56:12 PM6/17/94

All this discussion about underrated composers, and no mention of
the true inheritor of the Austrian symphonic tradition from
Beethoven, Schubert, Bruckner and Mahler; the composer of organ
music of the most exquisite contrapuntal mastery; the composer of
the greatest oratorio since 'The Dream of Gerontius'.

I refer of course to Franz Schmidt, "The most complete musician I
have come across in my life" (Hans Keller).

The following works are true masterpieces of late Romantic music:

Orchestral:
Symphony I in E
Symphony II in E flat
Symphony IV in C
Variations on a Hussar's Song
Chamber Music:
String Quartet in A
Organ Music:
Prelude & Fugue in D
Prelude & Fugue in C
Fuga Solemnis
Oratorio:
'Das Buch mit Sieben Siegeln' (The Book with Seven Seals).

The key point to remember in listening to his music is that is not
'about' anything except the musical processes involved in the
works themselves. This is in contrast to say Mahler and Bruckner
where the work tends to express emotional states and spiritual
aspiration. Schmidt might be said to be a composer's composer, in
a similar way to the way Godowsky or Busoni were described as
pianist's pianists, i.e. not immediately accessible to the casual
or superficial listener by their somewhat 'cool' approach.

Since it matches my taste so very deeply and exactly, the work of
Franz Schmidt has given me some of the most satisfying musical
experiences I have had. Give him a try if he sounds like your kind
of composer too.

--
Francis Cox ............. fc...@octave.demon.co.uk

John M. Proffitt

Jun 17, 1994, 6:37:24 PM6/17/94
In article <771886...@octave.demon.co.uk>, fc...@octave.demon.co.uk
(Francis Cox) wrote:

> Since it matches my taste so very deeply and exactly, the work of
> Franz Schmidt has given me some of the most satisfying musical
> experiences I have had. Give him a try if he sounds like your kind
> of composer too.
>
> --
> Francis Cox ............. fc...@octave.demon.co.uk

An excellent suggestion, though I don't understand why the 3rd Symphony was
left out of the list...

Suggest the following recordings:

Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln on Orfeo, with Peter Schreier singing the
(incredibly difficult) part of the Evangelist.

Sym.#4 on London Jubilee, with the Vienna Phil conducted by Zubin Mehta
(probably the finest recording ever made by Zubin Mehta, with absolutely
superb playing from the Vienna Phil, for which orch FS was principal
cellist in the early years of the century and where his feud with Mahler
began).

Sym.#2 and #3 on Chandos, with the Chicago Symphony conducted by Neeme
JŠrvi. Both "live recordings" and really inspired music-making.

There are a clutch of chamber music recordings on Orfeo, Preiser and
London, all of which are worthy of auditioning. His numerous works for and
with piano were all written for Paul Wittgenstein, who lost his right arm
in the Great War and for whom Ravel, Prokofiev, et al. **also** wrote
music.