July 14, 2001: Hyacinthe Jadin (1776 - 1800): the complete piano sonatas

Dr. Heinz Anderle

Jul 14, 2001, 10:04:53 AM7/14/01
From: Dr. Heinz Anderle, publisher of music of the enlightenment and
the French Revolution, in behalf of Prof. Richard Fuller as the editor

Vienna, July 14, 2001

After the publication of the three revolutionary symphonies by
Wranitzky, van den Broek, and Gossec, this year's main issue is the
musical spirit and essence of another composer committed to the French
Revolution: the 12 piano sonatas op. 3 in Eb, g, C; op. 4 in Bb, f#,
c#; op. 5 in f, D, c; and op. 6 in c, A, F by Hyacinthe Jadin (1776 -
1800) are now available in the first modern edition edited by the
American fortepianist Richard Fuller.

A short biography of Hyacinthe Jadin can be found at
http://members.klosterneuburg.net/handerle/composer.htm

As the greatest, but short-lived genius of French classical music,
Hyacinthe Jadin focused on istrumental genres which were usually
neglected by his colleagues as the domain of the "German" (Viennese)
classical tradition: string quartets (four sets op. 1 - op. 4), string
trios (two sets op. 1 and 2), piano sonatas (four sets op. 3 - op. 6),
sonatas for piano and violin (op. 1), a flute sonata, and three piano
concertos (and some more instrumental music known only from the
announcement of the original editions and now lost).

Jadin's revolutionary contribution (a wind ouverture, a hymn for the
first anniversary of the execution of Louis capet, former king Louis
XVI of France, a hymn for the feast of agriculture, and a few other
hymns and chansons) prove that the young genius was as committed to
the ideals of the new era as perhaps only the grand old man Gossec.
And Jadin's physical health was consumed in the same way as the
political ideals of the French Revolution.

Jadin's piano sonatas show him as a musical grandson of C. P. E. Bach
and a early romantic spirit congenial with Mozart and Schubert.
The alsatian student of C. P. E. Bach, Nicolas-Joseph Huellmandel, had
provided a profound base for his musical prodigy Hyacinthe Jadin. The
expression in Jadin's solo piano music and the predominance of minor
keys uncover a melancholical nature which might have predisposed him
to depart so young.

The availability of modern computer notation software has made the
realization of such an ambitious project possible in an engraving
quality very close to the traditional excellence of leading German
publishers. Pianists are without doubt the most demanding musicians
with their need of a page layout with convenient turns, perfect
spacing, and unequivocal sight-reading legibility.

Until now, you can enjoy Jadin's piano sonatas only on two CDs from
Auvidis Valois and one from Harmonia Mundi France. We hope that the
availability of Jadin's sonatas in print will make them an essential
part of the classical piano repertoire both welcomed by pianists and
the audience.

For more information, please contact the publisher

hand...@klosterneuburg.net
http://members.klosterneuburg.net/handerle

or the editor

rfu...@dora.ins.at
http://www.umtanum.com/RichardFuller/RichardFuller.htm

July 14, 1789: the Bastille storm separates the light of reason from
the darkness of deceit - Vive la Liberté!

John Harrington

Jul 14, 2001, 11:12:33 AM7/14/01
in article 3b504ff3...@news2000.council.net, Dr. Heinz Anderle at
hand...@klosterneuburg.net wrote on 7/14/01 7:04 AM:
<snip>

> Until now, you can enjoy Jadin's piano sonatas only on two CDs from
> Auvidis Valois and one from Harmonia Mundi France.

Not true--Cecile Wang has recorded 3 of the sonatas on Koch Discover
International as well. I know his sonatas also from the Auvidis Valois
fortepiano recordings...utterly brilliant and memorable works.

John

tho...@antispam.ham

Jul 14, 2001, 3:22:04 PM7/14/01
John Harrington writes:

> Not true--Cecile Wang has recorded 3 of the sonatas on Koch Discover
> International as well. I know his sonatas also from the Auvidis Valois
> fortepiano recordings...utterly brilliant and memorable works.

I know your "bait" from the newsgroup...utterly ridiculous work.