Glenn Gould

eliman

Jul 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/5/97

Any Glenn Gould fans here? I'm wondering where I can find his Biography.
His early dead has me intrigued. Anyone knows what he died of?
My e-mail is eli...@merlin.net.au

I'll answer back every time

john harkness

Jul 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/7/97

John Harkness replies

He died of massive stroke in 1982.

There are several gould biographies

The official biography is by Otto Friedrich, Lester Orpen Dennys, trade
paper, 1990

There's also Creative Lying, by Andrew Kazdin, Gould's longtime record
producer, and a new biography, Glenn Gould: The ecstacy and tragedy of
genius. by Peter Ostwald, a psychiatrist and amateur musician who knew
Gould for about 25 yrs.

j...@netcom.ca

Laughter is what separates man from the animals. That, and we're not
afraid of vacuum cleaners.

jerry and judy

Jul 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/7/97

In article <33C122...@netcom.ca>, j...@netcom.ca wrote:

> eliman wrote:
> >
> > Any Glenn Gould fans here? I'm wondering where I can find his Biography.
> > His early dead has me intrigued. Anyone knows what he died of?
> > My e-mail is eli...@merlin.net.au
> >
> > I'll answer back every time

for everything you did (or didn't) want to know abt GG

ftp://ftp.cs.umb.edu/pub/misc/f_minor/

on the lighter side Glenn has his own karaoke site!

http://www.unpronounceable.com/karaoke/

jerry and judy

Jul 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/7/97

Morten Vest Hansen

Jul 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/10/97

john harkness wrote

> eliman wrote:
> >
> > Any Glenn Gould fans here? I'm wondering where I can find his Biography.
> > His early dead has me intrigued. Anyone knows what he died of?
> > My e-mail is eli...@merlin.net.au
> > I'll answer back every time
> John Harkness replies
> He died of massive stroke in 1982.
> There are several gould biographies
> The official biography is by Otto Friedrich, Lester Orpen Dennys, trade
> paper, 1990
> There's also Creative Lying, by Andrew Kazdin, Gould's longtime record
> producer, and a new biography, Glenn Gould: The ecstacy and tragedy of
> genius. by Peter Ostwald, a psychiatrist and amateur musician who knew
> Gould for about 25 yrs.

Morten chimes in
Also check out:
-The Glenn Gould Reader, Edited by Tim Page (1984)
-Jonathan Cott, Conversations with Glenn Gould, Cott was one of many people Gould would
have long phone conversations with at strange hours and the book is based on those.
Of course, none of these books are about his death :-)
--
Morten Vest Hansen (m...@image.dk)
Frb Bredegade 13 B

K Immoor

Jul 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/10/97

In article <01bc8d17$298cf880$LocalHost@morten>, "Morten Vest Hansen"
<m...@image.dk> wrote:

> Morten chimes in
> Also check out:
> -The Glenn Gould Reader, Edited by Tim Page (1984)
> -Jonathan Cott, Conversations with Glenn Gould, Cott was one of many
people Gould would
> have long phone conversations with at strange hours and the book is
based on those.
> Of course, none of these books are about his death :-)

If it is specifically the death you are interested in, read the Ostwald
first and then the Friedrich. Ostwald goes above and beyond the call of
duty in medically describing Glenn's stroke, and Friedrich takes a more
gossipy approach to how the news was laundered and handled.

KI

--
Here it is:kim...@mindspring.com