Longest CD ever?

wkasimer

Apr 23, 2013, 2:00:20 PM4/23/13

I just received a copy of this CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Schoenberg-Janine-Jansen/dp/B009P8LDSG

It's Janine Jansen et al. playing Schoenberg's Verklärte Nacht and
Schubert's Quintet D956. I was shocked when I put on the CD, and saw
the time displayed: 83:11.

It plays flawlessly on both of my CD players, one of which is over ten
years old.

Bill

Saint Russell

Apr 23, 2013, 2:16:11 PM4/23/13
The longest pressed CD I've encountered is called Smoke That Cigarette (Pleasure to Burn). It's a compilation of (mostly country-western) tobacco-related tunes, and it's on the German label Bear Family. 87:26 playing time. Plays fine in my car and on my boombox.

Gerard

Apr 23, 2013, 2:18:02 PM4/23/13
wkasimer <wkas...@comcast.net> typed:
What about the performances?

Art

Apr 23, 2013, 2:20:58 PM4/23/13
On 4/23/2013 2:00 PM, wkasimer wrote:

> I just received a copy of this CD:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Schoenberg-Janine-Jansen/dp/B009P8LDSG
>
> It's Janine Jansen et al. playing Schoenberg's Verkl�rte Nacht and
> Schubert's Quintet D956. I was shocked when I put on the CD, and saw
> the time displayed: 83:11.
>
> It plays flawlessly on both of my CD players, one of which is over ten
> years old.
>
> Bill

That is long!
I think that this is the longest CD that I can recall in my collection:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/bach-goldberg-variations-mw0001852159

The reviewer here actually states:
"this recording lasts just eight seconds over a whopping 80 minutes, the
maximum time for the average compact disc's length."

I have yet to make it through all 80 minutes!

Bob Lombard

Apr 23, 2013, 2:27:28 PM4/23/13
Excellent, Gerard. Your sense of humor is insufficiently appreciated here.

Bob Lombard

Apr 23, 2013, 2:32:28 PM4/23/13
That may be one of those 'tightly wound' CDs I still have some Phoenix
90 minute CD-R blanks. I think I was one for twelve in burning one
successfully, but haven't tried for a few years. Maybe now... .

Apr 23, 2013, 2:44:08 PM4/23/13
In article <%sAdt.115733$Zp1....@en-nntp-15.dc1.easynews.com>, Bob
Lombard <monty....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/23/2013 2:16 PM, Saint Russell wrote:
> > On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:00:20 PM UTC-4, wkasimer wrote:
> >> I just received a copy of this CD:
> >>

> >> http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Schoenberg-Janine-Jansen/dp/B009P8LDSG
> >>

> >> It's Janine Jansen et al. playing Schoenberg's Verkl�rte Nacht and
> >>
> >> Schubert's Quintet D956. I was shocked when I put on the CD, and saw
> >>
> >> the time displayed: 83:11.
> >>

> >> It plays flawlessly on both of my CD players, one of which is over ten
> >>
> >> years old.
> > The longest pressed CD I've encountered is called Smoke That Cigarette
> > (Pleasure to Burn). It's a compilation of (mostly country-western)
> > tobacco-related tunes, and it's on the German label Bear Family. 87:26
> > playing time. Plays fine in my car and on my boombox.
> That may be one of those 'tightly wound' CDs I still have some Phoenix
> 90 minute CD-R blanks. I think I was one for twelve in burning one
> successfully, but haven't tried for a few years. Maybe now... .

From Wikipedia:

"Playing times beyond 74�minutes are achieved by decreasing track pitch
beyond the original Red Book standard. Most players can accommodate the
more closely spaced data.[15] Christian Thielemann's live Deutsche
Grammophon recording of Bruckner's Fifth with the Munich Philharmonic
in 2004 clocks at 82:34.[16] The Kirov Orchestra recording of Pyotr
Ilyich Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker conducted by Valery Gergiev and
released by Philips/PolyGram Records (catalogue number 462 114) on
October 20, 1998, clocks at 81:14.[citation needed] The Mission of
Burma compilation album Mission of Burma, released in 1988 by Rykodisc,
previously held the record at 80:08.[17]
Current manufacturing processes allow an audio CD to contain up to 80
minutes (variable from one replication plant to another) without
requiring the content creator to sign a waiver releasing the plant
owner from responsibility if the CD produced is marginally or entirely
unreadable by some playback equipment. Thus, in current practice,
maximum CD playing time has crept higher by reducing minimum
engineering tolerances; by and large, this has not unacceptably reduced
reliability.[citation needed]"

-Owen

wkasimer

Apr 23, 2013, 2:58:52 PM4/23/13
On Apr 23, 2:18 pm, "Gerard" <ghendrikse-nospa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> wkasimer <wkasi...@comcast.net> typed:
Flawless.

Bill

Curlytop

Apr 23, 2013, 3:08:30 PM4/23/13
wkasimer set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
continuum:
The recording of Chopin's two piano concertos by Krystian Zimerman with the
Polish Festival Orchestra, forming disc 1 of the Complete Chopin set (17
CD's) from DG, has a running time of 81:51. This is the longest-running CD
in my collection. Disc 16 of the same set (Chopin's Piano Trio, 'Cello
Sonata and other 'cello pieces) runs for 80 minutes exactly.

Two other discs in my collection top 80 minutes: "Verdi Discoveries"
conducted by Riccardo Chailly has a running time of 80:45, and disc 1 of
the Berlin Philharmonic Octet's rendering of Dvorak chamber music runs for
80:14.
--
ξ: ) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

Mort

Apr 23, 2013, 4:12:49 PM4/23/13
Burning CD-Rs in a computer is a different technology from the pressed
discs. My software, and probably others, limit a CD-R to 80 minutes, and
not one second more. No problem; blanks are cheap enough, so I burn two
if there is no room on one.

Good listening.

Mort Linder

tomono...@hotmail.com

Apr 23, 2013, 8:00:35 PM4/23/13
A foul... ?

CDs does not make a cross-talk like LPs.

and ...

right channel = mono 60+ min.
left channel = mono 60+ min.

total = mono 120+ min. / 1 CD

2013年4月24日水曜日 3時00分20秒 UTC+9 wkasimer:

ken...@hotmail.com

Apr 23, 2013, 10:47:24 PM4/23/13
The brand new Schubert piano sonatas disc with Maria João Pires on DG comes in at 1:23:17. Prior to receiving that disc I was not aware that was possible.

Ken
Message has been deleted

jeffc

Apr 25, 2013, 7:58:51 AM4/25/13
How about Mike Richter's wonderful Audio Encyclopedia discs?

All of Wagner's operas on one CD.
Same for Richard Strauss and Meyerbeer.

All together, the AE has to be best collection of opera related
material ever put on CD.

Mark Stratford

Apr 25, 2013, 10:29:32 AM4/25/13
On Apr 23, 7:20 pm, Art <maleunemplo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Goldberg....I have yet to make it through all 80 minutes!

You kidding. Stop lurking on newsgroups and go LISTEN to this thing.
No point buying just for the sake of collecting !

largo_57

Apr 25, 2013, 12:12:01 PM4/25/13
On Apr 23, 3:12 pm, Mort <m...@cloud9.net> wrote:

> Burning CD-Rs in a computer is a different technology from the pressed
> discs. My software, and probably others, limit a CD-R to 80 minutes, and
> not one second more.  No problem; blanks are cheap enough, so I burn two
> if there is no room on one.
>
> Good listening.
>
> Mort Linder

I managed to squeeze 91:35 of an LA Phil broadcast onto a 90-minute CD-
R.

Played fine. True story.

Matthew B. Tepper

Apr 28, 2013, 5:01:46 PM4/28/13
jeffc <jeff...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following letters to be
typed in news:05140392-78bb-401c-add9-
e7c675...@r6g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

> How about Mike Richter's wonderful Audio Encyclopedia discs?
>
> All of Wagner's operas on one CD.

Hmm, never did get that one, although I did get the one of "composite" Wagner
recordings PLUS all the Mapleson cylinders. I was able to transfer that one
to my laptop hard drive, even though it's at least a decade old and has a
pasted-on label. The only files that didn't come through were some m3us, and
I think those weren't intact in the first place.

--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html

Russ (not Martha)

Apr 28, 2013, 11:05:41 PM4/28/13
On Apr 23, 3:12 pm, Mort <m...@cloud9.net> wrote:

> Burning CD-Rs in a computer is a different technology from the pressed
> discs. My software, and probably others, limit a CD-R to 80 minutes, and
> not one second more.  No problem; blanks are cheap enough, so I burn two
> if there is no room on one.

I use Feurio; it grumbles a bit if it detects a TT >79:59 but it will
go ahead and do a successful burn.

Most recently I squeezed the 1962 Juilliard Qtt Mozart 'Haydn'
Quartets onto 2 CDs.from an Epic open reel.

A rather curious technical irregularity occurred with the Mozarts.
Obviously all 6 quartets on 2 CDs will run slightly overtime, and are
therefore a little out of spec. CD1 (Quartets 14, 16, 19) runs 82:02;
CD2 (15, 17, 18) runs 81:26. Anyhow when I first burned CD1 the
process completed fine, with Feurio displaying a pop-up 'Recording
Successful!'. When I burned CD2, Feurio burned all 12 tracks, started
writing the lead-out, then displayed an error. But the CD played fine
(I checked the 12th track). Shortly afterward I burned the same two
CDs in the same sequence for a friend in Arizona with the same results
respectively. (He is since written me that the CDs played fine.) I
thought it odd that the CD with the shorter playing time was the one
that drew the error. So when I burned copies for another friend in
Michigan , I burned CD2 first - Recording Successful!. Then I burned
CD1 - the **shorter** timed one - and got the same error message. Of
course I checked it and it played fine.

From what I could gather from snooping around the net, the lead-out on
a music CD is of little significance as to playability - it's just a
succession of binary zeros the laser writes to tell the writer that
the recording is done.

I wondered whether Feurio is programmed to forgive one 'overburn' but
gets all fussy if you
try to do it more than once in the same session.. The next time I
burned this project I did CD1, closed Feurio, started another session
fresh for the 2nd CD. Same result! 'Recording Successful' after CD1;
same bogus error after CD2!

The next time I have to burn copies of this transfer - and there may
not be one - I'll try burning one CD, shut down completely, reboot,
burn the 2nd CD, and see what happens.

Russ (not Martha)

david...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2015, 10:07:22 PM11/22/15
The Solti Decca recording of the Verdi Requiem has been put in the Decca Analogue Years box on 1 CD now. It's 84'09 in duration

Dana John Hill

Nov 23, 2015, 1:32:47 PM11/23/15
I have a few discs north of eighty minutes, but 84:09 is nearly ten
minutes longer than I think the CDs inventors even envisioned. How is
this result achieved?

Dana

weary flake

Nov 23, 2015, 2:08:18 PM11/23/15
I don't know how, but last year's Bruckner 3rd by Ballot
is 89 minutes on one CD.

Lionel Tacchini

Nov 24, 2015, 4:30:33 AM11/24/15
On 23.11.2015 20:08, weary flake wrote:
> I don't know how, but last year's Bruckner 3rd by Ballot
> is 89 minutes on one CD.

This guy is breaking all the worst records ;-(

There used to be 90 mn writable CDROMs in shops some 8 years ago, when I
was still buying some.

--
Lionel Tacchini

Gerard

Nov 24, 2015, 11:16:51 AM11/24/15
"Lionel Tacchini" wrote in message news:n31ane$65d$1...@gwaiyur.mb-net.net...
==============

I'm not very technical. But isn't "writable CDROM" a contradiction?

Lionel Tacchini

Nov 24, 2015, 11:21:32 AM11/24/15
On 24.11.2015 17:16, Gerard wrote:
> I'm not very technical. But isn't "writable CDROM" a contradiction?

No, it is writeable only once then can be used as a Read Only Memory
(ROM) medium.

--
Lionel Tacchini

Nov 24, 2015, 2:15:17 PM11/24/15
In article <n322q7$upq$1...@gwaiyur.mb-net.net>, Lionel Tacchini
You're dangerously close to an old computer joke about Write Only
Memory.

-Owen

John Hood

Nov 24, 2015, 7:39:17 PM11/24/15
"O" <ow...@denofinequityx.com> wrote in message
Well, come on, out with it!

JH

---

Peter Heeres

Aug 3, 2021, 6:04:51 AM8/3/21
Op dinsdag 23 april 2013 om 20:00:20 UTC+2 schreef wkasimer:
> I just received a copy of this CD:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Schoenberg-Janine-Jansen/dp/B009P8LDSG
>
> It's Janine Jansen et al. playing Schoenberg's Verklärte Nacht and
> Schubert's Quintet D956. I was shocked when I put on the CD, and saw
> the time displayed: 83:11.
>
> It plays flawlessly on both of my CD players, one of which is over ten
> years old.
>
> Bill
I have a double cd album of Elton John from Japan on gold disc. Duration 175:21 It's a Greatest Hits 1970-2003 from Universal Japan. CD 1 runs 88:11 and CD 2 runs 87:10. This is by far the longest album in my opinion.