iPod gapless playback

Steven de Mena

Sep 12, 2006, 1:09:11 PM9/12/06
Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a new
iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.

Steve

Steven de Mena

Sep 12, 2006, 1:15:19 PM9/12/06

"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote in message

> Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a new
> iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.
>
> Steve

Latest info here:
http://www.macrumorslive.com/

Steve

Stephen Worth

Sep 12, 2006, 2:49:26 PM9/12/06
In article <h56dnSRSlowjdJvY...@comcast.com>, Steven de
Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:

> Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a new
> iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.

80 gig hard drive for $349. Time for Matthew to ante up
for an iPod!

See ya
Steve

--
Rare 78 rpm recordings on CD! http://www.vintageip.com/records/
Building a museum and archive of animation! http://www.animationarchive.org/

Richard Loeb

Sep 12, 2006, 2:59:52 PM9/12/06
"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote in message
But why does it depend on the IPOD itself rather than software upgrades that
can be uploaded to my 60 GB Ipod Richard

Steven de Mena

Sep 12, 2006, 2:59:00 PM9/12/06

"Stephen Worth" <ne...@vintageip.com> wrote in message

> In article <h56dnSRSlowjdJvY...@comcast.com>, Steven de
> Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
>
>> Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a
>> new
>> iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.
>
> 80 gig hard drive for $349. Time for Matthew to ante up
> for an iPod!
>
> See ya
> Steve

I just downloaded iTunes 7. You can configure each track in your
library for "Part of a Gapless album". (You can select multiple tracks,
or your whole library, and set this too.)

Listening to a mutliple track "Also sprach Zarathustra" and so far it
has played the tracks flawlessly (no gaps).

I am not sure yet if there will be updated software for 5G (and other)
iPods to have this capability.

Steve

Steven de Mena

Sep 12, 2006, 3:05:14 PM9/12/06

"Richard Loeb" <loe...@comcast.net> wrote in message

We don't know yet for sure about this. It's possible there will be an
updated firmware for this but there might have been some hardware
dependencies related to power.

Steve

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 12, 2006, 3:32:40 PM9/12/06
"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:h56dnSRSlowjdJvY...@comcast.com:

> Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a new
> iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.

YEE-HAW!

There is no final line in this sig. If you don't like it, tough.

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 12, 2006, 3:32:40 PM9/12/06
Stephen Worth <ne...@vintageip.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:120920061149264267%ne...@vintageip.com:

> In article <h56dnSRSlowjdJvY...@comcast.com>, Steven de
> Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
>
>> Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a new
>> iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.
>
> 80 gig hard drive for $349. Time for Matthew to ante up for an iPod!

Yep!

Don't see it yet on Amazon.com, where I could list the unit of my choice on
the gift registry, as I have a birthday coming up next week....

I should at least go to the Apple Store to check it out.

Allen

Sep 12, 2006, 3:40:51 PM9/12/06

Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> Stephen Worth <ne...@vintageip.com> appears to have caused the following
> letters to be typed in news:120920061149264267%ne...@vintageip.com:
>

>>In article <h56dnSRSlowjdJvY...@comcast.com>, Steven de
>>Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a new
>>>iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.
>>
>>80 gig hard drive for $349. Time for Matthew to ante up for an iPod!
>

> Yep!
>
> Don't see it yet on Amazon.com, where I could list the unit of my choice on
> the gift registry, as I have a birthday coming up next week....
>
> I should at least go to the Apple Store to check it out.

Happy birthday, Matthew! I wish I could buy you (and me)an Ipod, but
groceries and medicine have won out again.
Allen

Steven de Mena

Sep 12, 2006, 3:45:01 PM9/12/06

"Matthew B. Tepper" <oy兀earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Stephen Worth <ne...@vintageip.com> appears to have caused the
> following
> letters to be typed in news:120920061149264267%ne...@vintageip.com:
>
>> In article <h56dnSRSlowjdJvY...@comcast.com>, Steven de
>> Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a
>>> new
>>> iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.
>>
>> 80 gig hard drive for $349. Time for Matthew to ante up for an iPod!
>
> Yep!
>
> Don't see it yet on Amazon.com, where I could list the unit of my
> choice on
> the gift registry, as I have a birthday coming up next week....

New ones are here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/1000004881/ref=amb_link_3593232_2/104-8854812-6973502

or

http://tinyurl.com/hhozr

Steve

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 12, 2006, 3:58:47 PM9/12/06
"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> appears to have caused the

following letters to be typed in

Thanks!

jwthomas

Sep 12, 2006, 4:14:43 PM9/12/06
Thank Gog! For awhile I was afraid I might have to spend a few moments
of my life without music playing in the background. Mmmm... Will the
new model fit in my coffin?

-John Thomas

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 13, 2006, 3:56:43 AM9/13/06
On 2006-09-12 19:09:11 +0200, "Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> said:

> Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a new
> iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.

Yowza! Finally!

Kirk
--
Read my blog, Kirkville
http://www.mcelhearn.com

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 13, 2006, 3:57:18 AM9/13/06
On 2006-09-12 20:59:00 +0200, "Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> said:

> I am not sure yet if there will be updated software for 5G (and other)
> iPods to have this capability.

No, alas, only the newest model.

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 13, 2006, 3:58:02 AM9/13/06
On 2006-09-12 21:32:40 +0200, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyþ@earthlink.net> said:

>> Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a new
>> iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.
>
> YEE-HAW!

Does that mean that Tepper is now a member of the cult? :-)

Steven de Mena

Sep 13, 2006, 4:05:23 AM9/13/06

"Kirk McElhearn" <kir...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On 2006-09-12 20:59:00 +0200, "Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com>
> said:
>
>> I am not sure yet if there will be updated software for 5G (and
>> other) iPods to have this capability.
>
> No, alas, only the newest model.
>
> Kirk

No, the 1.2 software for the 5G adds gapless playback, support for iPod
games, display Brightness, and the large display of the first letter
when searching through lists quickly. I listened to "Also sprach
Zarathustra" in the car this evening and the gapless plaback worked. (I
had to tag all the files with this attribute in iTunes).

Steve

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 13, 2006, 4:57:14 AM9/13/06
On 2006-09-13 10:05:23 +0200, "Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> said:

>>> I am not sure yet if there will be updated software for 5G (and other)
>>> iPods to have this capability.
>>
>> No, alas, only the newest model.
>>
>> Kirk
>
> No, the 1.2 software for the 5G adds gapless playback, support for iPod
> games, display Brightness, and the large display of the first letter
> when searching through lists quickly. I listened to "Also sprach
> Zarathustra" in the car this evening and the gapless plaback worked.
> (I had to tag all the files with this attribute in iTunes).

Huh, a friend tried last night and it didn't work on his
previous-version iPod video... Interesting. Maybe he didn't tag the
files though...

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 13, 2006, 10:29:44 AM9/13/06
Kirk McElhearn <kir...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:4507ba0c$0$5071$ba4a...@news.orange.fr:

> On 2006-09-12 21:32:40 +0200, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyþ@earthlink.net> said:
>
>>> Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a new
>>> iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.
>>
>> YEE-HAW!
>
> Does that mean that Tepper is now a member of the cult? :-)

I will be!

It was much better than "Cats." I'm going to see it again and again.

NOT an advocate of cannibalism (despite what Kevin Maroney says).

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 13, 2006, 10:36:28 AM9/13/06
On 2006-09-13 16:29:44 +0200, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oy兀earthlink.net> said:

>> Does that mean that Tepper is now a member of the cult? :-)
>
> I will be!

I'm impressed. I never thought I'd see the day! :-)

Richard Loeb

Sep 13, 2006, 10:49:52 AM9/13/06
"Kirk McElhearn" <kir...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Unfortunately there are major problems with the Itunes 7.0 download -
Ipodlounge is filled with members who have had the same ppblems I have had
and it needs some major fixes - I'll stick withthe older version till 7 is
really ready Richard

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 13, 2006, 11:46:38 AM9/13/06
Kirk McElhearn <kir...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:4508176d$0$5114$ba4a...@news.orange.fr:

said:

>>> Does that mean that Tepper is now a member of the cult? :-)
>>
>> I will be!
>
> I'm impressed. I never thought I'd see the day! :-)

Why so? I gave the specific condition under which I would actually
consider purchase. They have now met that condition. Now all I need is to
fit it into my budget.

Message has been deleted

Richard Loeb

Sep 13, 2006, 1:17:39 PM9/13/06
<Sipow...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:49:52 -0400, "Richard Loeb"
> <loe...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately there are major problems with the Itunes 7.0 download -
>>Ipodlounge is filled with members who have had the same ppblems I have had
>>and it needs some major fixes - I'll stick withthe older version till 7 is
>>really ready Richard
>
> And the problem is?
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> "Common criticism of the Internet is that it is dominated by the crude,
> the uninformed, the immature, the smug, the untalented, the repetitious,
> the
> pathetic, the hostile, the deluded, the self--righteous, and the shrill.
> This
> criticism overlooks the fact that the Internet also offers - for the savvy
> individual who knows where to look - the tasteless and borderline
> insane." --
> Dave Barry

Dan Fowler

Sep 13, 2006, 1:21:10 PM9/13/06
I had to switch my audio input from Total Recorder to my audio card to avoid
getting an "Itunes Application could not be opened. An unknown error
occurred. (0x666D743F)" error. The error occurred after a successful
installation. I would invoke Itunes, accept the agreement, and get the
error. I tried the standard tricks (reinstalling, repairing, emptying temp
files, etc) before finding the tip about Total Recorder in one of Apple's
Itunes discussion forums. Don't know if this is the problem Richard is
referring to.

After the fix, I was gap-free...at least with my test case of Ravel's Ma
Mere l'Oye. Don't yet know how this will effect playing the same songs on my
Ipod.

Dan

<Sipow...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:49:52 -0400, "Richard Loeb"
> <loe...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Unfortunately there are major problems with the Itunes 7.0 download -
>>Ipodlounge is filled with members who have had the same ppblems I have had
>>and it needs some major fixes - I'll stick withthe older version till 7 is
>>really ready Richard

Richard Loeb

Sep 13, 2006, 1:37:40 PM9/13/06

"Dan Fowler" <dfo...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

>I had to switch my audio input from Total Recorder to my audio card to
>avoid getting an "Itunes Application could not be opened. An unknown error
>occurred. (0x666D743F)" error. The error occurred after a successful
>installation. I would invoke Itunes, accept the agreement, and get the
>error. I tried the standard tricks (reinstalling, repairing, emptying temp
>files, etc) before finding the tip about Total Recorder in one of Apple's
>Itunes discussion forums. Don't know if this is the problem Richard is
>referring to.
>
> After the fix, I was gap-free...at least with my test case of Ravel's Ma
> Mere l'Oye. Don't yet know how this will effect playing the same songs on
> my Ipod.
>
> Dan
>
> <Thats one fix but unfortunately every time you use Total Recorder you'll
> have to switch it back!!!!! No I'll wait till Apple fixes the prblem.
> Richard

Dan Fowler

Sep 13, 2006, 2:33:52 PM9/13/06
As i indicated in my previous email, after the upgrade to version 7, Itunes
was able to seamlessly play the tracks to Ravel's Ma Mere l'Oye. I copied
the songs to my 60-Gb photo Ipod, disconnected the Ipod and listened to the
tracks. Not so seamless :-( . I reconnected Ipod to the computer and did a
get info on the album. There was a box for gapless play with the value set
to No. I changed it to yes, disconnected Ipod from computer and listened
again to the tracks on the Ipod. Still a gap between the tracks.

When I connected the Ipod to the computer, Itunes displayed a status screen
for the Ipod indicating that it was up-to-date.

I agree with Richard that it's inconvenient to have to switch between Total
Recorder and my sound card, though I haven't used Total Recorder in a while
so it's not terribly inconvenient. I had never had a problem with Total
Recorder interfacing with any of my software before and would never have
considered it to be te cause of the Itunes problem until reading about it on
one of the forums.

Dan

"Richard Loeb" <loe...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Richard Loeb

Sep 13, 2006, 2:55:52 PM9/13/06
"Dan Fowler" <dfo...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
Hopefully (?) Apple is seeing messages on their forum and will download a
correct version Richard

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 13, 2006, 3:05:54 PM9/13/06
"Richard Loeb" <loe...@comcast.net> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:L_qdnfqdzLiloJXY...@comcast.com:

Well, that's a compelling explanation.

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 13, 2006, 3:05:54 PM9/13/06
"Richard Loeb" <loe...@comcast.net> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:y8SdnYeJ7IiqyZXY...@comcast.com:

> "Dan Fowler" <dfo...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> As i indicated in my previous email, after the upgrade to version 7,
>> Itunes was able to seamlessly play the tracks to Ravel's Ma Mere l'Oye.
>> I copied the songs to my 60-Gb photo Ipod, disconnected the Ipod and
>> listened to the tracks. Not so seamless :-( . I reconnected Ipod to the
>> computer and did a get info on the album. There was a box for gapless
>> play with the value set to No. I changed it to yes, disconnected Ipod
>> from computer and listened again to the tracks on the Ipod. Still a gap
>> between the tracks.
>>
>> When I connected the Ipod to the computer, Itunes displayed a status
>> screen for the Ipod indicating that it was up-to-date.
>>
>> I agree with Richard that it's inconvenient to have to switch between
>> Total Recorder and my sound card, though I haven't used Total Recorder
>> in a while so it's not terribly inconvenient. I had never had a problem
>> with Total Recorder interfacing with any of my software before and
>> would never have considered it to be te cause of the Itunes problem
>> until reading about it on one of the forums.
>>

>> "Richard Loeb" <loe...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Dan Fowler" <dfo...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> Hopefully (?) Apple is seeing messages on their forum and will download
> a correct version Richard

Or maybe it's deliberate, so that users will not be able to use Total
Recorder in able to copy their DRM-infected files?

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 13, 2006, 4:12:01 PM9/13/06
On 2006-09-12 20:59:00 +0200, "Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> said:

> I just downloaded iTunes 7. You can configure each track in your
> library for "Part of a Gapless album". (You can select multiple
> tracks, or your whole library, and set this too.)
>
> Listening to a mutliple track "Also sprach Zarathustra" and so far it
> has played the tracks flawlessly (no gaps).
>
> I am not sure yet if there will be updated software for 5G (and other)
> iPods to have this capability.

Yes, but only for 5G models.

Apparently, you don't need to set the tags for this. At least this is
the case on iTunes itself, and reports I'm getting say it's so for the
iPod too. Which makes me wonder why the tag is there...

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 13, 2006, 4:12:44 PM9/13/06
On 2006-09-13 16:49:52 +0200, "Richard Loeb" <loe...@comcast.net> said:

> Unfortunately there are major problems with the Itunes 7.0 download -
> Ipodlounge is filled with members who have had the same ppblems I have
> had and it needs some major fixes - I'll stick withthe older version
> till 7 is really ready Richard

Filled, I don't know.... I've seen some problems, but it's not clear
whether thy are caused by corrupted music files or something else.

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 13, 2006, 4:13:40 PM9/13/06
On 2006-09-13 20:33:52 +0200, "Dan Fowler" <dfo...@austin.rr.com> said:

> As i indicated in my previous email, after the upgrade to version 7,
> Itunes was able to seamlessly play the tracks to Ravel's Ma Mere l'Oye.
> I copied the songs to my 60-Gb photo Ipod, disconnected the Ipod and
> listened to the tracks. Not so seamless :-( . I reconnected Ipod to the
> computer and did a get info on the album. There was a box for gapless
> play with the value set to No. I changed it to yes, disconnected Ipod
> from computer and listened again to the tracks on the Ipod. Still a gap
> between the tracks.

Gapless is only available on video iPods.

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 13, 2006, 4:14:19 PM9/13/06
On 2006-09-13 17:46:38 +0200, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyþ@earthlink.net> said:

> Why so? I gave the specific condition under which I would actually
> consider purchase. They have now met that condition. Now all I need
> is to fit it into my budget.

I suggest you get the 80 GB model; it's not much more than the 30 GB,
and I have a feeling that you have a lot of music. You'll fill it
pretty quickly.

Richard Loeb

Sep 13, 2006, 4:57:05 PM9/13/06
"Kirk McElhearn" <kir...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Well I am great fan of my Ipod but if you look on Ipod lounge and the Apple
support forums, the Itunes sections are filling up with complaints. I was on
the phone with three Apple techs yesterday and they couldn't help so I just
went back to 6.0.3..of course you can't use the music store with that but at
least I can sync my Ipod to Itunes - honestly, this major change in Itunes
should not have been released without further testing Richard..

Stephen Worth

Sep 13, 2006, 5:47:08 PM9/13/06
In article <1fednVfYQMQ87ZXY...@comcast.com>, Richard Loeb
<loe...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Well I am great fan of my Ipod but if you look on Ipod lounge and the Apple
> support forums, the Itunes sections are filling up with complaints.

It works fine on all of my Macs. It must be a PC thing. Perhaps
Bill Gates has thrown another monkey wrench into his OS to
discourage people from using Apple products. It wouldn't
be the first time.

See ya
Steve

--
Rare 78 rpm recordings on CD! http://www.vintageip.com/records/
Building a museum and archive of animation! http://www.animationarchive.org/
The Quest for the BEST HOTDOG in Los Angeles! http://www.hotdogspot.com/
Rediscovering great stuff from the past! http://www.vintagetips.com/

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 13, 2006, 6:17:22 PM9/13/06
On 2006-09-13 22:57:05 +0200, "Richard Loeb" <loe...@comcast.net> said:

> Well I am great fan of my Ipod but if you look on Ipod lounge and the
> Apple support forums, the Itunes sections are filling up with
> complaints. I was on the phone with three Apple techs yesterday and
> they couldn't help so I just went back to 6.0.3..of course you can't
> use the music store with that but at least I can sync my Ipod to Itunes
> - honestly, this major change in Itunes should not have been released
> without further testing Richard..

Apparently one of the threads has shown the response to this problem. I
just saw this mentioned on a mailing list...

Paul Goldstein

Sep 13, 2006, 6:18:09 PM9/13/06
In article <130920061447087145%ne...@vintageip.com>, Stephen Worth says...

>In article <1fednVfYQMQ87ZXY...@comcast.com>, Richard Loeb
><loe...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Well I am great fan of my Ipod but if you look on Ipod lounge and the Apple
>> support forums, the Itunes sections are filling up with complaints.
>
>It works fine on all of my Macs. It must be a PC thing. Perhaps
>Bill Gates has thrown another monkey wrench into his OS to
>discourage people from using Apple products. It wouldn't
>be the first time.

The new iTunes works fine on my Windows computer. I don't use Total Recorder,
however.

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 13, 2006, 7:22:37 PM9/13/06
Kirk McElhearn <kir...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:4508669d$0$25931$ba4a...@news.orange.fr:

> On 2006-09-13 17:46:38 +0200, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyþ@earthlink.net>
said:

>> Why so? I gave the specific condition under which I would actually
>> consider purchase. They have now met that condition. Now all I need
>> is to fit it into my budget.
>
> I suggest you get the 80 GB model; it's not much more than the 30 GB,
> and I have a feeling that you have a lot of music. You'll fill it
> pretty quickly.

See my Amazon Wishlist labelled, "Birthday Registry."

Steven de Mena

Sep 13, 2006, 7:48:25 PM9/13/06

"Dan Fowler" <dfo...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> As i indicated in my previous email, after the upgrade to version 7,
> Itunes was able to seamlessly play the tracks to Ravel's Ma Mere
> l'Oye. I copied the songs to my 60-Gb photo Ipod, disconnected the
> Ipod and listened to the tracks. Not so seamless :-( . I reconnected
> Ipod to the computer and did a get info on the album. There was a box
> for gapless play with the value set to No. I changed it to yes,
> disconnected Ipod from computer and listened again to the tracks on
> the Ipod. Still a gap between the tracks.
>
> When I connected the Ipod to the computer, Itunes displayed a status
> screen for the Ipod indicating that it was up-to-date.

Dan,

Do you have version 1.2 of the iPod 5G firmware installed? If you do
not, and iTunes says you are up-to-date, exit out of iTunes and restart.

Steve

Steven de Mena

Sep 13, 2006, 7:51:27 PM9/13/06

"Matthew B. Tepper" <oyş@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Kirk McElhearn <kir...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following
> letters to be typed in news:4508669d$0$25931$ba4a...@news.orange.fr:
>
>> On 2006-09-13 17:46:38 +0200, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyş@earthlink.net>

> said:
>>
>>> Why so? I gave the specific condition under which I would actually
>>> consider purchase. They have now met that condition. Now all I
>>> need
>>> is to fit it into my budget.
>>
>> I suggest you get the 80 GB model; it's not much more than the 30 GB,
>> and I have a feeling that you have a lot of music. You'll fill it
>> pretty quickly.
>
> See my Amazon Wishlist labelled, "Birthday Registry."

Just one thing to know...the engraving (free) is only available directly
from Apple. I had my email address engraved on the back. (I think I
got this idea from Stephen Worth).

Steve

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 13, 2006, 7:58:43 PM9/13/06
"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in

Directly by mail order from them, or could I get it done at one of the
stores? I like to visit the one in the Glendale Galleria.

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 13, 2006, 8:00:16 PM9/13/06
Paul Goldstein <Paul_...@newsguy.com> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in news:eea03...@drn.newsguy.com:

I do, but (so far) only for ripping from LPs or cassettes.

Steven de Mena

Sep 13, 2006, 8:03:11 PM9/13/06

"Matthew B. Tepper" <oyş@earthlink.net> wrote in message

No, only mail order. Just takes a few days (from China).

You should visit the Century City store sometime, it is newer and has
some of the newer store features, like the "Genius Bar" and the area for
kids (small round table near the floor; it is amazing how the kids seem
to grasp the computers). There's a nice one in "The Grove" right by me
too.

Steve

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 13, 2006, 10:27:54 PM9/13/06
"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:BrmdnS5FRIHfAZXY...@comcast.com:

I HATE parking in Century City. When I worked there, and had a parking pass
from my company, it wasn't bad at all. When I visit the Glendale Galleria,
though, it's usually in the company of a handicapped friend, who brings along
his placard. But now that I actually search Apple's site, I see that there's
one in Sherman Oaks that it pretty convenient to me.

Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet

Dan Fowler

Sep 13, 2006, 10:33:54 PM9/13/06
Steve,

I've got version 1.2.1 installed. I think my photo Ipod is just too old as
Kirk indicated....at least I'm going to keep telling myself that so I can go
get one of those new 80Gb Ipods!

Thanks for the suggestion!
Dan

"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Steven de Mena

Sep 14, 2006, 12:24:14 AM9/14/06

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:47:08 -0700, Stephen Worth <ne...@vintageip.com>
> wrote:
>
>>In article <1fednVfYQMQ87ZXY...@comcast.com>, Richard
>>Loeb
>><loe...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Well I am great fan of my Ipod but if you look on Ipod lounge and
>>> the Apple
>>> support forums, the Itunes sections are filling up with complaints.
>>
>>It works fine on all of my Macs. It must be a PC thing. Perhaps
>>Bill Gates has thrown another monkey wrench into his OS to
>>discourage people from using Apple products. It wouldn't
>>be the first time.
>
> More likely Steve Jobs threw a wrench into ITunes to encourage fools
> to overpay for IMacs which can't be updated.

Do you have any experience with Macs before making a statement like
that?

Steve

Message has been deleted

Steven de Mena

Sep 14, 2006, 1:33:56 AM9/14/06

> Yes, I do. And what I says has as much validity and is much more
> probable than your supposition that a program that came out 5 years
> ago was somehow engineered to prevent a program released this week
> from operating properly. Your envy and nastiness is obvious. But that
> is to be expected from a true believer.
>
> Andrew

How do you read all of that into my simply saying "Do you have any

Stephen Worth

Sep 14, 2006, 3:01:52 AM9/14/06
In article <b3lhg2122p7a7ohcn...@4ax.com>,
<Sipow...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> More likely Steve Jobs threw a wrench into ITunes to encourage fools

> to overpay for IMacs which can't be updated. Got to move that old
> stock. It wouldn't be the first time.

I have three iMacs, and they most certainly *can* be updated.
You can spell. That's about all I can say for your post.

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 14, 2006, 4:46:09 AM9/14/06
On 2006-09-14 06:35:26 +0200, Sipow...@yahoo.com said:

>>> More likely Steve Jobs threw a wrench into ITunes to encourage fools
>>> to overpay for IMacs which can't be updated.
>>

>> Do you have any experience with Macs before making a statement like that?
>
> Yes, I do. And what I says has as much validity and is much more
> probable than your supposition that a program that came out 5 years
> ago was somehow engineered to prevent a program released this week
> from operating properly. Your envy and nastiness is obvious. But that
> is to be expected from a true believer.

Actually, the problem mentioned has to do with the way Windows manages
sound interfaces. It's not an Apple or iTunes issue; Windows allows
certain programs to "take over" the sound interface, which is a Very
Bad Thing...

Message has been deleted

Stephen Worth

Sep 14, 2006, 12:20:09 PM9/14/06
In article <8orig21rsj9fhos1t...@4ax.com>,
<Sipow...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Let me see you drop a new processor, install a couple of new internal
> hard drives and a new display into them.

Why would I have to do that myself? I'm not a computer
repairman. I have a three year warranty on them through
Applecare. There are people to do things like that for me.

MW

Sep 14, 2006, 12:28:15 PM9/14/06

Steven de Mena wrote:
> I just downloaded iTunes 7. You can configure each track in your
> library for "Part of a Gapless album". (You can select multiple tracks,
> or your whole library, and set this too.)

What I want in conjunction with this is for any playlists that pull
random tracks to be constrained to pulling the entire
composition/album/series of tracks as I define it. I'm guessing we
aren't there yet.

Kirk McElhearn

Sep 14, 2006, 12:28:47 PM9/14/06
On 2006-09-14 18:20:09 +0200, Stephen Worth <ne...@vintageip.com> said:

>> Let me see you drop a new processor, install a couple of new internal
>> hard drives and a new display into them.
>
> Why would I have to do that myself? I'm not a computer
> repairman. I have a three year warranty on them through
> Applecare. There are people to do things like that for me.

He's the usual PC user who wants to mod his box... He doesn't get it.

Steven de Mena

Sep 14, 2006, 12:32:48 PM9/14/06

"MW" <tint...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

No, but that sounds like a reasonable request.

Steve

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 14, 2006, 2:54:51 PM9/14/06
Kirk McElhearn <kir...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:45098342$0$5106$ba4a...@news.orange.fr:

> On 2006-09-14 18:20:09 +0200, Stephen Worth <ne...@vintageip.com> said:
>
>>> Let me see you drop a new processor, install a couple of new internal
>>> hard drives and a new display into them.
>>
>> Why would I have to do that myself? I'm not a computer repairman. I have
>> a three year warranty on them through Applecare. There are people to do
>> things like that for me.
>
> He's the usual PC user who wants to mod his box... He doesn't get it.

What's wrong with wanting to mod your box? I'm assuming this isn't yet
another tiresome masturbation reference that the troll likes to do. ;--)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Sep 14, 2006, 10:33:26 PM9/14/06
In article <1158092083.6...@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,
jwthomas <abras...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank Gog! For awhile I was afraid I might have to spend a few moments
> of my life without music playing in the background. Mmmm... Will the
> new model fit in my coffin?

Only if you have a gapless coffin.

-Owen

Sep 14, 2006, 10:39:26 PM9/14/06
In article <Xns983E7990164...@207.217.125.201>,

Matthew B. Tepper <oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Kirk McElhearn <kir...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following
> letters to be typed in news:45098342$0$5106$ba4a...@news.orange.fr:

> >> Why would I have to do that myself? I'm not a computer repairman. I have
> >> a three year warranty on them through Applecare. There are people to do
> >> things like that for me.
> >
> > He's the usual PC user who wants to mod his box... He doesn't get it.
>
> What's wrong with wanting to mod your box? I'm assuming this isn't yet
> another tiresome masturbation reference that the troll likes to do. ;--)

There are several types of upgrades available from third party sources
that will let you do all of the above. Apple doesn't do most of them,
but there are certainly workarounds. A new processor has been in the
third party domain for several Mac models; there are directions for
replacing internal hard drives if you wish, and it is certainly an easy
(and easier) matter to use an external firewire or USB 2.0 connection.
Replacement displays are also available on the internet, but iMac have
a video out which allows you to use a different display than the
installed LCD, if you wish.

-Owen

Sep 14, 2006, 10:41:23 PM9/14/06
In article <4507b9bc$0$5071$ba4a...@news.orange.fr>, Kirk McElhearn
<kir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2006-09-12 19:09:11 +0200, "Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> said:
>
> > Word coming out from the Apple media event happening now is that a new
> > iPod or iPods are coming out with gapless playback. Details soon.
>
> Yowza! Finally!

Apple has posted a Knowledge Base article (which is usually their
definitive info on the subject) on gapless playback at:

-Owen

Steven de Mena

Sep 14, 2006, 10:49:25 PM9/14/06

"O" <ow...@idsx.netx> wrote in message
> In article <Xns983E7990164...@207.217.125.201>,

My new Mac Pro is very expandable. Four internal hard drive bays, two
CD/DVD bays, 4 PCI Express slots, 8 memory slots....

Steve

Message has been deleted

Steven de Mena

Sep 15, 2006, 11:46:30 AM9/15/06

> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:49:25 -0700, "Steven de Mena"
> <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
>
>>My new Mac Pro is very expandable. Four internal hard drive bays, two
>>CD/DVD bays, 4 PCI Express slots, 8 memory slots....
>
> We were talking IMacs not MacPro, which indeed expandable, except for
> a high-end video card. Of course the G5 was not. And as I said I am
> considering it. The idea of being able to boot Mac OS 10x, and run my
> windows programs through Parallels, when they get it working for the
> Pro, and perhaps Linux, is an interesting concept.
>
> Andrew

Feel free to write me privately if you have any Mac Pro questions. I
have a new RC1 version of Parallels that works on the Mac Pro but it
still has issues. I, too, am hoping for that to work well.

Steve

Stephen Worth

Sep 15, 2006, 6:58:50 PM9/15/06
In article <Xns983E7990164...@207.217.125.201>,

Matthew B. Tepper <oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote:

> What's wrong with wanting to mod your box?

When you have to put together a system from pieces from
a dozen different manufacturers and designers, you have to
fight out incompatibilities yourself. The advantage of the
Mac platform is that everything works together seamlessly.
There aren't as many programs and hardware options, but
the ones you have are excellent, and they truly are "plug
and play".

Criticizing iMacs because they're not modifiable is like criticizing
Caruso because he didn't play the violin. Macs do what they
are designed to do, and they do that very well. If you want
to work with graphics, sound or video, Macs can't be beat.
If you want to track inventory or do accounting for your
business, you might want a different type of computer.

Stephen Worth

Sep 15, 2006, 7:01:31 PM9/15/06
In article <2oflg29marogvqhfj...@4ax.com>,
<Sipow...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We were talking IMacs not MacPro, which indeed expandable, except for
> a high-end video card.

The iMac is a machine aimed at consumers who want to surf the
web, use their iPod and do personal computing tasks. For that,
it's perfectly suited.

Stephen Worth

Sep 15, 2006, 7:07:06 PM9/15/06
In article <1158251295.2...@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, MW
<tint...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What I want in conjunction with this is for any playlists that pull
> random tracks to be constrained to pulling the entire
> composition/album/series of tracks as I define it. I'm guessing we
> aren't there yet.

See smartplaylists.com for a smart playlist designed to do just that,
or just randomly shuffle by album.

Stephen Worth

Sep 16, 2006, 3:02:27 AM9/16/06