The Paulello Piano

JohnGavin

Jan 15, 2022, 2:35:18 PMJan 15
This is a blurb from a recital on medici.tv by Louis Debargue
Has anyone heard of this piano? It sounds interesting to say the least.

Debargue is performing today on an extraordinary and unusual piano, the Opus 102 by Stephen Paulello. This marvel boasts 102 keys, 14 more than a traditional piano, giving it a singular harmonic palette and what Debargue calls an "infinite" dynamic range. In his words, it is a piano that "will never be out of fashion… it will naturally make its way among the legendary instruments and inspire many generations of musicians and music lovers."

mINE109

Jan 15, 2022, 4:09:35 PMJan 15
On 1/15/22 1:35 PM, JohnGavin wrote:
> This is a blurb from a recital on medici.tv by Louis Debargue Has
> anyone heard of this piano? It sounds interesting to say the least.

Looking at the website, I see it's a similar design to the Stuart & Sons
Piano of Australia. Straight-strung is intriguing; Barenboim had one
custom made with that design.

https://www.stephenpaulello.com/en/pianos

> Debargue is performing today on an extraordinary and unusual piano,
> the Opus 102 by Stephen Paulello. This marvel boasts 102 keys, 14
> more than a traditional piano, giving it a singular harmonic palette
> and what Debargue calls an "infinite" dynamic range. In his words, it
> is a piano that "will never be out of fashion… it will naturally make
> its way among the legendary instruments and inspire many generations
> of musicians and music lovers."

https://www.stuartandsons.com

There's a set of cd covers showing recordings. I'm unfamiliar with the
artists.

Dan Koren

Jan 15, 2022, 4:20:39 PMJan 15
On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 2:35:18 PM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:

> Has anyone heard of this piano? It
> sounds interesting to say the least.

There are a few snippets on YouTube.
Sounds nice, but not so much nicer to
cause excitement.

One doubts this will catch on. It would
be interesting to hear what a top tier
pianist could produce on this piano.

dk

Dan Koren

Jan 15, 2022, 4:47:41 PMJan 15
Furthermore, the notion Mr. Debargue is
limited by the quality of the instruments
he is playing rather than by his pianistic
skills is simply laughable.

We heard Richter, Gilels, Michelangeli,
Jean-Rodolphe Kars and quite a few
others produce marvels of color and
texture from oridinary Stoneways no
one could have ever imagined were
possible.

I seriously doubt the Paulello piano
would win in a head to head double
blind comparison against a perfectly
tuned and regulated Fazioli, Yamaha
or Bosendorfer in the hands of a truly
great grand master like Henri Barda
or HJ Lim.

dk

Dan Koren

Jan 16, 2022, 2:24:14 AMJan 16
On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 2:35:18 PM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:
> This is a blurb from a recital on
> medici.tv by Louis Debargue

Why would Debargue need a
piano with 102 keys when he