What do you listen for a peace of mind?

Satid

Oct 7, 2011, 10:20:40 PM10/7/11
I ask this with the hope that many of you may mention works that I do
not know before or never had a chance to explore yet so that I can
start to explore them.

Whenever you want to induce yourself some peace of mind, what works do
you frequently listen to? For me, these are the ones :

- The Lark Ascending - among many performances I have, I prefer the
one by Hugh Bean and London Symphony (?) under Boult on EMI

- Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - the performance by Sinfonia
of London under Barbirolli on EMI GROC is my most favorite

- Works by Arvo Part on an EMI Music for Pleasure CD by Tasmin Little
with Bournemouth Sinfonetta under Studt - Frates, Spigel im Sigle, a
work dedicated to Benjamin Britten.

- The fisrt movement of Mahler's Symphony no.9 by Berlin Philharmonic
under Barbirolli on EMI GROC. I listened to this for the fisrt time
4-5 years ago on a cool evening with light rain and I was deeply
impressed at once.

- The first movement of Glazunov's Symphony no.4 by Royal Philharmonic
under Yondani Butt on ASV. I hope that this work would be recorded
more than it has been.

- Respighi's Ancient Airs and Dances Suite 3 for strings. I like the
performance by ASMF under Marriner on Philips (coupled with other
works, not suite 1 and 2). The one by Marriner with LA Chamber on EMI
does not work out well for me becaue it sounds too rush. Nor does the
one by Lopez-Cobos on Telarc (but its suite 1 and 2 are great for
me).

- Mozart's Clarinet Quintet. I like many recordings. The entire work
invokes an image of a pleasant stroll in a lush garden.

How about yours?

Dufus

Oct 7, 2011, 10:37:08 PM10/7/11
On Oct 7, 9:20 pm, Satid <satid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about yours?

Several, but one would be LvB Piano Sonata No.31, Op.110.

Also, the Andante mov. of the Brahms 3rd Piano Sonata,Op.5.

And Ravel's "Sonatine".

But, warning, posting at RMCR about " peace of mind" will probably be
a stressful experience.

Dufus

T. Esteban Ayala

Oct 7, 2011, 10:45:41 PM10/7/11

These are my essential recordings when I need to reassure myself that
the world is indeed a beautiful place.

- Grieg: Lyric Pieces (selections); Emil Gilels, pianist [DG]
- Grieg: Lyric Pieces (selections), Mendelssohn: Songs Without Words
(selections); Walter Gieseking, pianist [EMI References]
- Elgar: The Wand of Youth, Suite No.2; London Philharmonic Orchestra/
Sir Adrian Boult [EMI]
- Debussy: Petite Suite, Faure: Dolly Suite, etc.; Robert and Gaby
Casadesus, pianists [Sony Masterworks]
- Fritz Kreisler plays Violin Encores [Opus Kura]
- Debussy: Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun; Leopold Stokowski and
his Symphony Orchestra [EMI/Capitol]
- Ravel: Complete Piano Works; Walter Gieseking, pianist [EMI
References]
- Schumann: Fantasy in C, Faschingschwank aus Wien, Papillons;
Sviatoslav Richter, pianist [EMI]
- Nielsen: Humoreske-Bagateller, Five Piano Pieces, etc.; Leif Ove
Andsnes, pianist [Virgin]
- Beecham's Lollipops [EMI]
- Bizet: Symphony in C, L'Arlesienne Suites Nos. 1 and 2; Royal
Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Thomas Beecham [EMI]
- Ibert: Divertissement, Bizet: Jeux d'enfants, etc.; Paris
Conservatory Orchestra/Jean Martinon [Decca]
- Mozart: Songs (selections); Irmgard Seefried, soprano; Gerald Moore,
pianist [Testament]
- Mendelssohn: Songs Without Words; Ginette Doyen, pianist
[Westminster]
- Schubert: Moment Musicale No.3, German Dances, Waltzes, etc.;
William Kapell, pianist [RCA]

Sol L. Siegel

Oct 7, 2011, 11:31:37 PM10/7/11
Satid <sati...@gmail.com> wrote in news:27087d89-58c3-436a-bafe-
886761...@17g2000prv.googlegroups.com:

> Whenever you want to induce yourself some peace of mind, what works do
> you frequently listen to? For me, these are the ones :

After 9/11, I couldn't bring myself to listen to music for two days.
The first recording I played was my tape dub of the Sveshnikov
recording of Rachmaninoff's Vespers - enough to fill a room, and
a soul. Next after that was Copland leading the original chamber
version of Appalachian Spring.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA

wagnerfan

Oct 7, 2011, 11:57:54 PM10/7/11
On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 19:37:08 -0700 (PDT), Dufus <steve...@gmail.com>
wrote:

"Oh lord whose mercies numberless" from Handel's Saul sung by
Scholl.

Siegfried Idyll - the Klemperer EMI.

Anything sung by Hilde Gueden.

Wagner fan

Kip Williams

Oct 8, 2011, 12:03:53 AM10/8/11
Ravel trio, introduction and allegro
Poulenc trio for piano, oboe, and bassoon

Not a complete list.

Kip W

David O.

Oct 8, 2011, 12:41:02 AM10/8/11
The first movement of the Vaughan Williams Third Symphony, which takes
one to the England of the mid to late 1940s, when Laurence Olivier &
Vivien Leigh led the Old Vic in such productions as "Richard III" &
Anouilh's "Antigone" at various West End theatres.

The Sanctus & the Benedictus of the Missa Solemnis.

The opening Prelude of "Couperin's Tomb."

"Addio, amore, addio, razza" from "Turandot."

The Aleinu Gadol.

Matthew B. Tepper

Oct 8, 2011, 1:09:53 AM10/8/11
Satid <sati...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following letters to be
typed in news:27087d89-58c3-436a-bafe-886761c94127@
17g2000prv.googlegroups.com:

> How about yours?

Mozart K. 503, played by Ivan Moravec, with Josef Vlach conducting the Czech
Philharmonic Orchestra.

Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers

whisky...@yahoo.com

Oct 8, 2011, 1:25:14 AM10/8/11
On Oct 7, 9:20 pm, Satid <satid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about yours?

I play Varese and Xenakis out of my window loudly at 2am on Sunday
morning. Then the neighbours come out and give me a piece of their
mind.

John Thomas

Oct 8, 2011, 1:41:28 AM10/8/11
I have no idea what "peace of mind" could possibly mean, but when I
want to clear my mind of thoughts without formally meditating I listen
to Hindustani classical music, not Western. Whatever anyone else here
may say, it's quite obvious from reading rmcr that listening to
Western classical music has done little or nothing to create "peace of
mind" in its listeners.

M forever

Oct 8, 2011, 3:03:38 AM10/8/11

LOL - probably true, but then again, judging from the state of affairs
over there in that part of the world, that doesn't seem to help much
either. At least bride burnings aren't nearly as common in the Western
world. So maybe listening to Western classical music is still safer.
At least for women.

Peter

Oct 8, 2011, 5:30:11 AM10/8/11
This question has personal meaning for me. I can remember, back in
1969, needing to clear my head in the middle of several days of
rioting and police confrontation. I fled back to my student apartment
(avoiding a billy club that missed my head by inches -- I felt the
whoosh and saw the smashed woodwork later at the apartment entrance --
and listened for an hour or so to Mozart string quartets (can't
remember whose performance). After this I was sane enough to go out
and be insane again.

Since then I've sought refuge in music of various kinds when life
becomes too crazy. I will leave out the performers, since often
different versions will do the trick:

Bach Well-Tempered Clavier (OK, not Hantai, who I admire but who is
not very peaceful)
Bach solo violin and cello sonatas/partitas
15th-17th century polyphony (almost anyone)
Messiaen Catalogue d'Oiseaux
Koechlin Paysages et Marines

Others I can't think of right now....

SPAM- @xs4all.nl HvT

Oct 8, 2011, 7:42:22 AM10/8/11
Satid wrote:
> I ask this with the hope that many of you may mention works that I do
> not know before or never had a chance to explore yet so that I can
> start to explore them.

> Whenever you want to induce yourself some peace of mind, what works do
> you frequently listen to?

Interesting question! It makes me aware of the fact that music has no effect
on my state of mind - and if it does, it does so only because there is a
direct connexion with a certain moment in my life (for example Malcuzynski's
performance of the slow movement of Chopin's second concerto).

Henk

Ray Hall

Oct 8, 2011, 8:10:29 AM10/8/11

Depends what 'peace of mind' really means. If I want to float, mantra
style, then some types of minimalism does it for me. Glass does it for
me, especially his piano music. There is a nice CD I just received on
Sony SMK 87976, called Solo Piano, played by Glass, who proves an
excellent pianist of his own works, Metamorphosis I-V, Mad Rush and
Wichita Sutra Vortex.

Apart from anything else, Glass demonstrates the dynamics he requires
far more amply than in his choral or orchestral works.

Your selections are fine, but they prove far too involving and nostalgic
for my piece of mind, especially the Mahler and the RVW.

Other music for a real relax might involve John Coltrane and McCoy Tyner.

Ray Hall, Taree

Dufus

Oct 8, 2011, 8:26:18 AM10/8/11
On Oct 8, 2:03 am, M forever <ms1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>So maybe listening to Western classical music is still safer.
> At least for women.

Good point. Add genital mutilation.

And I dont think women are stoned as often in the West, at least since
the ' 60's.

Gerard

Oct 8, 2011, 8:36:05 AM10/8/11
Peter wrote:
> This question has personal meaning for me. I can remember, back in
> 1969, needing to clear my head in the middle of several days of
> rioting and police confrontation. I fled back to my student apartment
> (avoiding a billy club that missed my head by inches -- I felt the
> whoosh and saw the smashed woodwork later at the apartment entrance --
> and listened for an hour or so to Mozart string quartets (can't
> remember whose performance). After this I was sane enough to go out
> and be insane again.

So after all it helped you to get insane (again).
Would the Sabre Dance have had a different effect?

JohnGavin

Oct 8, 2011, 10:16:16 AM10/8/11
For peace of mind, I get away from everything man-made, including
sublime music, cities, concrete, crowds of people, the sounds of
machines.

Waves on a quiet beach, brids, wind, - those are the things that I
want breaking the silence at those times.

Roland van Gaalen

Oct 8, 2011, 10:35:20 AM10/8/11
When having breakfast and reading my morning newspaper, I like to hear light instrumental chamber music by anonymous composers from the baroque era.

Pleasant, but not distracting -- and not irritating like a lot of modern easy-listening music.
--
Roland van Gaalen
Amsterdam

Dufus

Oct 8, 2011, 10:37:07 AM10/8/11
On Oct 8, 9:16 am, JohnGavin <dagd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Waves on a quiet beach, brids, wind, - those are the things that I
> want breaking the silence at those times.

Ah yes, breaking wind will generate solitude.

Dufus

John Thomas

Oct 8, 2011, 10:39:08 AM10/8/11

I wasn't posting about what Indians peasants do, only what I do.
However, I didn't notice any bride burnings or healthy wives being
buried with their husbands when I was in India; that kind of remark is
just cheap shot racism.

Allen

Oct 8, 2011, 10:49:47 AM10/8/11
Depends a lot on your diet. And, to make it On Topic, does Beano have
any musical commercials? If not, they could make great use of the
members of the tuba family from the euphonium on down, baritone and bass
sax, bass trombone---. Too bad there isn't a place for the soprano sax
in this list, so I guess in my book they are useless; if they were made
of wood they would make good kindling.
Allen

Allen

Oct 8, 2011, 10:58:47 AM10/8/11
On 10/7/2011 9:20 PM, Satid wrote:
My list is much more inclusive than most of what will be submitted, as
it includes most of the "lexicon", for want of a better word. That, to
me, is one of the great beauties of classical music--from the beautiful
Stuart/Tudor choral music of England, Debussy, Part etc to Stravinsky,
Penderecki (yes, even the Threnody), Ligeti, Schnittke, Gubaidulina---.
Worthy of mention in any such list, and perhaps the centerpiece: the B
minor Mass.
Allen

Gerard

Oct 8, 2011, 11:04:07 AM10/8/11

Thus far it /was/ On Topic.

Russ (not Martha)

Oct 8, 2011, 11:33:01 AM10/8/11
If I play Bruckner thru the speakers, Martha gives me a piece of her
mind.

Russ (not Martha)

@thumppunktorg Neil

Oct 8, 2011, 1:41:42 PM10/8/11
On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 19:20:40 -0700 (PDT), Satid <sati...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>- The first movement of Glazunov's Symphony no.4 by Royal Philharmonic
>under Yondani Butt on ASV. I hope that this work would be recorded
>more than it has been.

I'm very fond of this work too. Glazunov may not be deeply serious
music but its always tuneful and beautifully written.

Allen

Oct 8, 2011, 2:01:48 PM10/8/11
Oops! That was supposed to be a reply to Dufas re breaking wind.
Allen

M forever

Oct 8, 2011, 2:46:11 PM10/8/11
On Oct 8, 10:35 am, Roland van Gaalen <rolandvangaa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> When having breakfast and reading my morning newspaper, I like to hear light
> instrumental chamber music by anonymous composers from the baroque era.

Just like a baroque prince! :-)

Mark S

Oct 8, 2011, 3:14:01 PM10/8/11

Agreed, though even the parking lot at the beach is man made and
filled with cars.

I take a 4-mile walk 3-4 times a week through a park and along a
creek. Takes me about an hour and 20 minutes. That would be a perfect
iPod moment, but I prefer to not listen to music at such times.
Nature's sounds are as mind-clearing as the walk itself.

Message has been deleted

M forever

Oct 8, 2011, 8:12:28 PM10/8/11

Yeah, they don't usually show that to the tourists, I guess, just like
tourist programs in Western countries rarely contain domestic violence
either. Although the Indian variation is probably a lot more
photogenic. I don't see what that has to do with "racism"? Do you
think that kind of behavior towards women is "racially" encoded in
people? I don't think so. I think it's a cultural thing and it goes
hand in hand with the lowly status of women in that society in
general. I don't think it is a "race" thing? Do you? That *would*
actually be racism.
And what about the horrible caste system? That's worse even than what
we had in the middle ages. Looks to me like that society isn't any
more enlightened and peaceful than any other in the world. Of course,
those are aspects of the reality there which mindset tourists usually
choose to ignore.

Romy the Cat

Oct 8, 2011, 8:39:23 PM10/8/11
On Oct 7, 11:31 pm, "Sol L. Siegel" <vod...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Whenever you want to induce yourself some peace of mind, what works do
> > you frequently listen to? For me, these are the ones :
>
> After 9/11, I couldn't bring myself to listen to music for two days.
> The first recording I played was my tape dub of the Sveshnikov
> recording of Rachmaninoff's Vespers - enough to fill a room, and
> a soul. Next after that was Copland leading the original chamber
> version of Appalachian Spring.
>
> - Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA

For peace of mind I listen Bruckner.

Interesting that I have very similar reaction to 9/11 and for a good
week or even more I did not turn my audio onl. Another interesting
thing was that on 9/11, around 10.30AM, wolking across the Charles
River bridge from MIT to Back Bay I realized that I can compose
music.

Satid

Oct 8, 2011, 10:06:52 PM10/8/11
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I now have a list I can use for
further pursuit.

Re suggestion on Bach's works, I realise there are many works I have
which I can calmly indulge in, especially the slow movement of
Concerto for 2 Violins and Air from Orchestral Suite No.3 (performed
in a non-HIP manner). Perhaps, it may be because I too repeatedly
listened to them in the past such that their quality to induce
calmness has become less apparent to me. I guess we tend to overlook
things that we are too overly familiar with. And I have not yet been
fortunate enough in appreciating Bruckner's No.4 and 8 that I have -
they put me to sleep too fast (it can be considered another form of
peace of mind induction but it's not what I actually want). I would
give them a few more chances.

M forever

Oct 8, 2011, 10:28:54 PM10/8/11
The adagio from Bruckner 8 is a piece of music which gives me the
deepest peace of mind - not just in the sense of being calming,
soothing, like a lot of nice, pleasant music, but in the sense that it
is a journey which leads through some inner conflicts to an ultimate
climax and resolution, and real spiritual calm. Not a "quick fix", so
to speak, but a very effective "treatment", so to speak.

pgaron

Oct 8, 2011, 11:22:06 PM10/8/11
* Glenn Gould's "Consort of Musicke" recording, featuring works by
16th century Tudor composers. One of my desert island discs.

* The final movement of Mahler's 3rd Symphony -- with a tip of the hat
to Beethoven for composing the late string quartet that Mahler quotes
and develops in the movement.

* Bernstein conducts the strings of the Vienna Phil. Orch. in chamber
orchestra arrangements of Beethoven string quartets.

pgaron

Edward Cowan

Oct 8, 2011, 11:57:07 PM10/8/11
The "Adagio molto e mesto" movement of Beethoven's string quartet no.7
in F-maj., Op. 59, no.1. --E.A.C.

--
hrabanus

Alan Dawes

Oct 9, 2011, 5:50:01 AM10/9/11
In article
<5d58859c-b325-4359...@d26g2000vby.googlegroups.com>,

Russ (not Martha) <roppe...@satx.rr.com> wrote:
> If I play Bruckner thru the speakers, Martha gives me a piece of her
> mind.

Mmmmmmmm brains for breakfast.

--
alan....@argonet.co.uk
alan....@riscos.org

Prai Jei

Oct 9, 2011, 6:52:12 AM10/9/11
Satid set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

> How about yours?

Sibelius "Night Ride and Sunrise". If the fast, furious pace of the first
part of the piece exactly matches my mood when I start to listen, I find
that as the pace eases off and the music brightens, my own state of mind
eases off and brightens along with it.
--
ξ:) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

Romy the Cat

Oct 9, 2011, 6:59:18 AM10/9/11
On Oct 8, 10:06 pm, Satid <satid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And I have not yet been
> fortunate enough in appreciating Bruckner's No.4 and 8 that I have -
> they put me to sleep too fast (it can be considered another form of
> peace of mind induction but it's not what I actually want). I would
> give them a few more chances.

It is not only No.4 and 8? Bruckner sound shell be understood, you do
not “get” it yet, there is nothing worn with it. It might come or
might not, it is irrelevant. Still if it comes then it opens a very
new avenue for mind stimulation. If Bruckner put you asleep then you
hear only external sounds of Bruckner forms. When you get in you will
feel that you are performing as brain surgery and it will never be
assosaited for you with any liturgical state.
Message has been deleted

Alan Cooper

Oct 9, 2011, 10:49:13 AM10/9/11
Prai Jei <pvstownse...@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> Satid set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
> continuum:
>
>> How about yours?
>
> Sibelius "Night Ride and Sunrise". If the fast, furious pace of
> the first part of the piece exactly matches my mood when I start
> to listen, I find that as the pace eases off and the music
> brightens, my own state of mind eases off and brightens along
> with it.

Interesting and unexpected, because my own "out-of-the-box" suggestion would be the
same composer's "Tapiola." I love the way its agitation and energy gradually build
and then yield to an eerie calm. I've long considered it to be the composer's
greatest orchestral work. My more conventional restorative listening is this great
Abravanel Vaughan Williams anthology: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001IN0F8/ .
It was the first album I uploaded to my ipod and it's installed there permanently for
emergencies :-)

AC

Jenn

Oct 9, 2011, 10:50:46 AM10/9/11
In article
<27087d89-58c3-436a...@17g2000prv.googlegroups.com>,
Satid <sati...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I ask this with the hope that many of you may mention works that I do
> not know before or never had a chance to explore yet so that I can
> start to explore them.
>

> Whenever you want to induce yourself some peace of mind, what works do
> you frequently listen to?

Dana Wilson: Piece of Mind
;-)

--
www.jennifermartinmusic.com

Matthew B. Tepper

Oct 9, 2011, 1:21:11 PM10/9/11
Allen <all...@austin.rr.com> appears to have caused the following letters
to be typed in news:2vOdnbG0jqiTDQ3T...@giganews.com:
> Oops! That was supposed to be a reply to Dufas re breaking wind.
> Allen

Well, how about Haydn Symphony #93 as conducted by George Szell?

--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
"I don’t think right-wing social engineering is any more desirable

Matthew B. Tepper

Oct 9, 2011, 1:21:11 PM10/9/11
"Russ (not Martha)" <roppe...@satx.rr.com> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in news:5d58859c-b325-4359-a317-b3b0f7dff305
@d26g2000vby.googlegroups.com:

> If I play Bruckner thru the speakers, Martha gives me a piece of her mind.
>
> Russ (not Martha)

I have always felt great respect for Martha. That has now increased.

Matthew B. Tepper

Oct 9, 2011, 1:21:12 PM10/9/11
Neil <neil @ t h u m p PUNKT org> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:8p2197h825es07tpu...@4ax.com:
I don't care to dig through the first couple of years' worth of Fanfare (I
possess a complete run!), but I recall a scathing review of a Glazunov #5
by "R. Albert Hall," which turned out somewhat later to be a pseudonym for
John D. Wiser. The review contained a musical example, a motive that the
reviewer felt far overstayed its welcome. I wonder if I can find it?

Yep, there it is, amazingly in the first issue I examined (just dumb luck,
I guess!), September/October 1978, p. 118, a review of two different LP
releases of Taneyev's Symphony #2 cond. Fedoseyev, one of which had the
Glazunov #5 as a coupling. There are the usual enjoyably cattivo remarks,
which I shan't quote here, because I rather doubt that permission would be
given if I asked. But those of you who have old Fanfares can look it up.

David O.

Oct 9, 2011, 2:57:11 PM10/9/11
On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 09:49:47 -0500, Allen <all...@austin.rr.com>
wrote:

>Depends a lot on your diet. And, to make it On Topic, does Beano have
>any musical commercials?

I don't know about Beano, but Pristiq uses cheap mood music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYmC8UiMr_I

It's great!

David O.

Oct 9, 2011, 3:05:24 PM10/9/11
On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 15:08:34 +0200, EM <emmemmme...@gnail.com>
wrote:

>Miles Davis c.s.: 'Blue in green' and' Flamenco sketches' ('Kind of
>Blue

"Flamenco Sketches" <---Its beauty calms me initially, but it tips me
over into melancholy by reminding me of an old dog I had.

Kip Williams

Oct 9, 2011, 4:16:07 PM10/9/11
Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> There are the usual enjoyably cattivo remarks,
> which I shan't quote here, because I rather doubt that permission would be
> given if I asked. But those of you who have old Fanfares can look it up.

"The rest of you can look it up when you get home."
� Tom Lehrer

Kip W

John Wiser

Oct 9, 2011, 5:27:54 PM10/9/11
"Matthew B. Tepper" <oy�@earthlink.net> wrote

[most of which doesn't merit repetition, so it's GONE]
>.. There are the usual enjoyably cattivo remarks,

> which I shan't quote here, because I rather doubt that permission would be
> given if I asked.

Too right, as your old friend Ray Hall might say.

> But those of you who have old Fanfares can look it up.

Don't let me know, or I'll be tempted to
creep up in the dead of night and RECYCLE them.

JDW

pgaron

Oct 9, 2011, 6:05:32 PM10/9/11

And also, if you're considering non-classical suggestions, the Frank
Sinatra-Antonio Carlos Jobim (and several other Ol' Blue Eyes albums,
for that matter) and Tony Bennett-Bill Evans joint recordings.

M forever

Oct 9, 2011, 6:13:11 PM10/9/11
On Oct 9, 6:52 am, Prai Jei <pvstownsend.zyx....@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Satid set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:
>
> > How about yours?
>
> Sibelius "Night Ride and Sunrise". If the fast, furious pace of the first
> part of the piece exactly matches my mood when I start to listen, I find
> that as the pace eases off and the music brightens, my own state of mind
> eases off and brightens along with it.

Ah yes - a marvelous piece. The sunrise is just magnificent. For me,
listening to it is almost a mystical experience. Excuse the kitsch.
"Tapiola" is an almost mystical and deeply soothing experience, too,
as is the "Swan of Tuonela".
There is a phenomenal short piece from the music of "Kuolema" (which
includes the infamous "Valse triste") calles "Scene with Cranes" which
has a meditational quality to it, too, as does a lot of Sibelius'
music for "Pelléas et Mélisande". The whole suite has an otherworldly,
fairy-tale quality to it, especially the "Pastorale".

Ed Presson

Oct 9, 2011, 7:29:20 PM10/9/11

Janacek's Slavonic Mass seems to help sort things out and put things in
better perspective.

I suppose this might seem an odd choice, but it works for me.

Ed Presson

Dufus

Oct 9, 2011, 10:10:46 PM10/9/11
On Oct 9, 5:05 pm, pgaron <pga...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Tony Bennett-Bill Evans joint recordings.

Bill Evans Trio :

"My Foolish Heart " :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2LFVWBmoiw&feature=related

"Peace Piece" :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjM8G4VwAqY

And in memory of Roger Williams, "Autumn Leaves" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRhVI7cpcS4&feature=related

Allen

Oct 10, 2011, 11:10:06 AM10/10/11
On 10/9/2011 12:21 PM, Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> Allen<all...@austin.rr.com> appears to have caused the following letters
> to be typed in news:2vOdnbG0jqiTDQ3T...@giganews.com:
>
>> On 10/8/2011 9:49 AM, Allen wrote:
>>> Depends a lot on your diet. And, to make it On Topic, does Beano have
>>> any musical commercials? If not, they could make great use of the
>>> members of the tuba family from the euphonium on down, baritone and bass
>>> sax, bass trombone---. Too bad there isn't a place for the soprano sax
>>> in this list, so I guess in my book they are useless; if they were made
>>> of wood they would make good kindling.
>>>
>> Oops! That was supposed to be a reply to Dufas re breaking wind.
>> Allen
>
> Well, how about Haydn Symphony #93 as conducted by George Szell?

To say nothing of 88, conducted by almost anyone. You can almost smell
the bassoon.
Allen

Peter

Oct 10, 2011, 2:19:33 PM10/10/11

The 2nd movement of the 3rd symphony is one of my "peace of mind"
pieces, when it is played at a "conventional" tempo (i.e. not Maazel).

Roland van Gaalen

Oct 11, 2011, 10:03:48 PM10/11/11
M forever wrote:

> The adagio from Bruckner 8 is a piece of music which gives me the
> deepest peace of mind - not just in the sense of being calming,
> soothing, like a lot of nice, pleasant music, but in the sense that it
> is a journey which leads through some inner conflicts to an ultimate
> climax and resolution, and real spiritual calm. Not a "quick fix", so
> to speak, but a very effective "treatment", so to speak.

As far as I am concerned, "peace of mind" is not the right expression.

Whenever I listen to Bruckner's eighth symphony, it takes possession of my mind -- especially the adagio, although the other movements are powerful, too.

As an indirect result of your posting, I have been in this Bruckner-8-state of mind for the last few days.

In my head the various chords keep going on and on, and every musical climax is followed by a stunning transition to another one!

All in all, Bruckner heaven is not an unpleasant place to be, so I should not be complaining.

I also discovered that a particular recording which I used to dismiss as pretty good but somewhat bland has risen to the top position in my list of favorites.
--
Roland van Gaalen
Amsterdam

M forever

Oct 11, 2011, 10:10:44 PM10/11/11
On Oct 11, 10:03 pm, Roland van Gaalen <rolandvangaa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Of course, now we all want to know which one that is!

Gerard

Oct 12, 2011, 2:57:02 AM10/12/11
Roland van Gaalen wrote:

> I also discovered that a particular recording which I used to dismiss
> as pretty good but somewhat bland has risen to the top position in my
> list of favorites.

That's really good information you've given here.

Prai Jei

Oct 12, 2011, 4:42:14 PM10/12/11
M forever set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
continuum:

>> Sibelius "Night Ride and Sunrise". If the fast, furious pace of the first

>> part of the piece exactly matches my mood when I start to listen, I find
>> that as the pace eases off and the music brightens, my own state of mind
>> eases off and brightens along with it.
>
> Ah yes - a marvelous piece. The sunrise is just magnificent. For me,
> listening to it is almost a mystical experience. Excuse the kitsch.
> "Tapiola" is an almost mystical and deeply soothing experience, too,
> as is the "Swan of Tuonela".

Curiously I find Tapiola rather unsettling. The calm finale gives the
feeling of just having escaped from some vague, undefined menace.

And as for En Saga, that really gives me the creeps. The climax and the
quiet ending are quite the opposite of relaxing - I see Armageddon followed
by a portrait of a totally dead world.

Roland van Gaalen

Oct 14, 2011, 7:19:45 PM10/14/11
On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:10:44 AM UTC+2, M forever wrote:

> On Oct 11, 10:03 pm, Roland van Gaalen <rolandv...@gmail.com>
> wrote

[re: Bruckner's symphony #8]

> > I also discovered that a particular recording which I used to dismiss as pretty good
> > but somewhat bland has risen to the top position in my list of favorites.
>

> Of course, now we all want to know which one that is!

The one by Celibache with the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra on EMI (live, 1993).

It's at the top of my list of favorites -- along with several other incomparably great recordings, at least for the time being.

Why?

I'm afraid I have no satisfactory explanation except perhaps that I found nothing annoying (*) in this recording when I listened to it a few days ago.

On previous occasions, I must have been still under the influence of the excitement generated by faster or livelier interpretations (such as those by Furtwangler, Knappertsbusch, and Van Beinum).

This time, it was the other way around: just after listening to Celibdiache's uniformly slow version, the others tend to sound too hurried.

Anyway, I changed my mind about this conductor's Bruckner and ordered the whole EMI box, which is supposed to be released next week.

(*) For example, I now happen to find the trumpet in the first movement of Eugen Jochum's 1984 live recording with the Concertgebouw Orchestra (Tahra 169) extremely annoying. That sound (vibrato?) may be appropriate in Mahler 5, but here it seems out of place.

M forever

Oct 14, 2011, 9:26:56 PM10/14/11
On Oct 14, 7:19 pm, Roland van Gaalen <rolandvangaa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:10:44 AM UTC+2, M forever wrote:
> > On Oct 11, 10:03 pm, Roland van Gaalen <rolandv...@gmail.com>
> > wrote
>
> [re: Bruckner's symphony #8]
>
> > > I also discovered that a particular recording which I used to dismiss as pretty good
> > > but somewhat bland has risen to the top position in my list of favorites.
>
> > Of course, now we all want to know which one that is!
>
> The one by Celibache with the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra on EMI (live, 1993).
>
> It's at the top of my list of favorites -- along with several other incomparably great recordings, at least for the time being.
>
> Why?
>
> I'm afraid I have no satisfactory explanation except perhaps that I found nothing annoying (*) in this  recording when I listened to it a few days ago.
>
> On previous occasions, I must have been still under the influence of the excitement generated by faster or livelier interpretations (such as those by Furtwangler, Knappertsbusch, and Van Beinum).
>
> This time, it was the other way around: just after listening to Celibdiache's
> uniformly slow version, the others tend to sound too hurried.

Well, I hope it's just a phase, and you will come out of it sooner or
later. I know I did, fortunately. Don't get me started on the whole
Celibidache thing! Then the evening will be ruined. LOL

Let me just say that the EMI 8th isn't even the best version to listen
to if you must expose yourself to Celibidache's Bruckner. In fact, I
think it's not a very good performance - by Celibidache standards, not
compared to other conductors. Better to listen to the recording from
Lisbon or the one from Tokyo. They sound more what the real thing
sounded like live, too (I heard him conduct several of the symphonies,
4,5,7,8). The performance on EMI doesn't work so well in his own
terms. In a number of places, the musical line sags and collapses, in
several places in the slow movement and also at the very end. That's
practically falling apart in this performance. In his best
performances, he was able to sustain the musical line even at his slow
tempi.

Roland van Gaalen

Oct 15, 2011, 11:16:07 AM10/15/11
On Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:26:56 AM UTC+2, M forever wrote:

> live recording made in 1993 by Celibidache/Munich Philh (EMI)
>
> Well, I hope it's just a phase, and you will come out of it sooner or
> later. I know I did, fortunately. Don't get me started on the whole
> Celibidache thing! Then the evening will be ruined. LOL

It's safe to assume that I am unlikely to join the Celibidache cult until I start praising his dull recording of Schubert's ninth symphony (also on EMI).
--
Roland van Gaalen
Amsterdam

M forever

Oct 15, 2011, 3:51:22 PM10/15/11
On Oct 15, 11:16 am, Roland van Gaalen <rolandvangaa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
LOL Never heard that one. But if you are interested in Celibidache's
Bruckner, specifically the 8th, you should check out the Bruckner 8
from Lisbon and the one from Tokyo (which at some point was released
on "Altus") which you can pretty easily find on filesharing sites on
the net if you search for those specific keywords. The Lisbon
recording is a live radio broadcast and is definitely "kosher" to
share and download, dunno about the Altus but I think that's also
taken from a broadcast, so it is up to you to decide whether or not
you think it's OK to download it. I actually own the Altus CDs.

gggg gggg

Apr 15, 2021, 9:51:55 PM4/15/21
On Friday, October 7, 2011 at 7:20:40 PM UTC-7, Satid wrote:
> I ask this with the hope that many of you may mention works that I do
> not know before or never had a chance to explore yet so that I can
> start to explore them.
>
> Whenever you want to induce yourself some peace of mind, what works do
> you frequently listen to? For me, these are the ones :
>
> - The Lark Ascending - among many performances I have, I prefer the
> one by Hugh Bean and London Symphony (?) under Boult on EMI
>
> - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - the performance by Sinfonia
> of London under Barbirolli on EMI GROC is my most favorite
>
> - Works by Arvo Part on an EMI Music for Pleasure CD by Tasmin Little
> with Bournemouth Sinfonetta under Studt - Frates, Spigel im Sigle, a
> work dedicated to Benjamin Britten.
>
> - The fisrt movement of Mahler's Symphony no.9 by Berlin Philharmonic
> under Barbirolli on EMI GROC. I listened to this for the fisrt time
> 4-5 years ago on a cool evening with light rain and I was deeply
> impressed at once.
>
> - The first movement of Glazunov's Symphony no.4 by Royal Philharmonic
> under Yondani Butt on ASV. I hope that this work would be recorded
> more than it has been.
>
> - Respighi's Ancient Airs and Dances Suite 3 for strings. I like the
> performance by ASMF under Marriner on Philips (coupled with other
> works, not suite 1 and 2). The one by Marriner with LA Chamber on EMI
> does not work out well for me becaue it sounds too rush. Nor does the
> one by Lopez-Cobos on Telarc (but its suite 1 and 2 are great for
> me).
>
> - Mozart's Clarinet Quintet. I like many recordings. The entire work
> invokes an image of a pleasant stroll in a lush garden.
>
> How about yours?

- The impressions of the spriritual experiences gave my future life its form and content.

Gustav Mahler
Message has been deleted

Frank Berger

Apr 16, 2021, 6:59:43 PM4/16/21
On 4/16/2021 6:29 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 9:51:55 PM UTC-4, gggg gggg wrote:
>>
>> - The impressions of the spiritual experiences
>> gave my future life its form and content.
>>
>> Gustav Mahler
>
> We finally understand how you became a quote bot!
>
> dk

I was lamenting that there were so few posts today and this is what I get.
Message has been deleted

Andy Evans

Apr 18, 2021, 6:29:42 AM4/18/21
Peace of mind?

Mahler is weird and unsettling, Bruckner is boring, Sibelius and Debussy are actually quite complex. Mozart mostly irritates me. Bach and Stravinsky are too clever not to grab the attention. Most classical music has quite a wide dynamic range anyway - even the pretty pieces usually rise to a climax of sorts.

For peace of mind theres nothing like Modern Gospel. God loves you, is always by your side etc etc. All very comforting even for semi-believers. Here's a nice handful with some great singing - this is the creme de la creme of gospel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O9Y6V6f0Uo The Winans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QpeKtad-gA The Winans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bRaCDEoeTM Dorinda Cole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXMRL_TbEd8 Dorinda Cole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLN3QSEiSec Evelyn Turrentine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxshbbTYkc Clark Sisters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvidB0-y7y0 Kim Burrell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38I3gcghnhs Lashun Pace

Andy Evans

Apr 18, 2021, 6:40:39 AM4/18/21
And how about this for uplifting - Richard Smallwood live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWUuM9Agt9I

"I don't have to worry because I'm protected under the wings of the Almighty"

There you go.

MELMOTH

Apr 18, 2021, 7:56:35 AM4/18/21
Andy Evans a couché sur son écran :
> Peace of mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUloBqTSqEM

MELMOTH

Apr 18, 2021, 7:58:18 AM4/18/21
Andy Evans vient de nous annoncer :
> Mahler is weird and unsettling, Bruckner is boring, Sibelius and Debussy are
> actually quite complex. Mozart mostly irritates me. Bach and Stravinsky are
> too clever not to grab the attention. Most classical music has quite a wide
> dynamic range anyway - even the pretty pieces usually rise to a climax of
> sorts.

Anyway... In a way, you don't like Music...

Andy Evans

Apr 18, 2021, 11:28:09 AM4/18/21
I like either silence, which I like more and more, or music which agrees with my sensibilities. I sometimes get something out of Mahler but it's too grandiose, and Bernstein conducting Mahler is my idea of Loony Tunes. I'm sure I'll be forgiven for finding Bruckner boring, and while Mozart composed some divine music he also churned out a lot of predictable stuff which does nothing for me. I love both Debussy and Sibelius but they're not peaceful. I love Bach and Stravinsky but that's not where I'd go to for relaxing music - the music is far too clever.

I have a playlist of "chill" classical music made up of Delius and some Ravel and Copland but I rarely use it.

Andy Evans

Apr 18, 2021, 11:33:01 AM4/18/21
I love Bill Evans, but Peace Piece is rather boring. I listen a lot to my favourite Evans Trio - with Eliott Zigmund and Eddie Gomez.... these...
- I Will Say Goodbye
- You Must Believe in Spring
- Live in Switzerland

raymond....@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2021, 12:29:27 PM4/18/21
Lee Konitz is my relaxer for jazz, so utterly logical and còol. For relaxation imbued with spiritual content, I always reach for Russian Orthodox chant and song.

Ray Hall, Taree

MELMOTH

Apr 18, 2021, 2:22:25 PM4/18/21

Peter

Apr 18, 2021, 7:14:45 PM4/18/21
For piece of mind, consider Koechlin. Much of his music is simple, unadorned and direct. Very little violence.

MELMOTH

Apr 19, 2021, 1:52:33 AM4/19/21

JohnGavin

Apr 19, 2021, 6:04:55 AM4/19/21
#1. Complete silence and stillness
# 2. Federico Mompou

(#1 is always #1, #2 changes)

number_six

Apr 19, 2021, 4:09:12 PM4/19/21
On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 10:52:33 PM UTC-7, MELMOTH wrote:
> Peter a exposé le 19/04/2021 :
> > For piece of mind, consider Koechlin. Much of his music is simple, unadorned
> > and direct. Very little violence.
> I am very happy that you mention Koechlin, a very great French composer
> completely forgotten ....

Persian Hours is coming up in my queue soon.

Al Eisner

Apr 19, 2021, 4:43:35 PM4/19/21
Does this mean he is not planning to get vaccinated?

Al

Andy Evans

Apr 19, 2021, 5:43:28 PM4/19/21
> > I am very happy that you mention Koechlin, a very great French composer
> > completely forgotten ....
> >
> Persian Hours is coming up in my queue soon.

I've been listening to Persian Hours too. I'll try it out as my going-to-sleep music this evening. I usually play some tracks to help me doze off, often Modern Gospel but sometimes Steely Dan, Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett and some others. Classical music isn't usually so good for dozing off, though I've used Meistersinger quite a bit and sometimes Debussy Preludes book 1 (Michelangeli, Vatican)

JohnGavin

Apr 21, 2021, 9:58:41 AM4/21/21
I would also add a great deal of music from the medieval in Gothic eras. There’s something about this music that seems to transcend all egotism. A good example are the recordings of organist Kimberly Marshall, who has recorded several CDs of the earliest known organ music.

MELMOTH

Apr 21, 2021, 10:11:52 AM4/21/21
JohnGavin a formulé la demande :
> #1. Complete silence and stillness
> # 2. Federico Mompou

And Erik Satie ?...

JohnGavin

Apr 21, 2021, 10:22:44 AM4/21/21
I would gravitate more towards Faure. The very beautiful 9th Barcarolle for just one of many examples.

Phl Maestro

Apr 21, 2021, 10:33:08 AM4/21/21
I found a YouTube video that contains roughly seven hours of Stokowski conducting Bach transcription with the Philadelphia and a few other orchestras. It's very soothing. I can keep it going all afternoon while I work or do other things.

Ed Presson

Apr 22, 2021, 10:09:31 PM4/22/21

I like Gavin Bryars' "The Archangel Trip." a very soothing voyage.

Message has been deleted

Alan Dawes

Apr 23, 2021, 6:09:46 AM4/23/21
In article <35a30b49-a040-4f9c...@googlegroups.com>,
Dan Koren <dan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 10:09:31 PM UTC-4, Ed Presson wrote:
> > I like Gavin Bryars' "The Archangel Trip." a very soothing voyage.

> I listen to my cats.

> dk

Would that be:
"Cats: Deutsche Originalaufnahme" of 1983
or perhaps
"Cats: Prague 2004"
or the "Original London cast recording" of 1981

Just kidding - I miss our cats which because of allergies and asthma I've
not been able to replace since the last one died 10 years ago.

Enjoy your kitties.

Alan

--
alan....@argonet.co.uk
alan....@riscos.org

gggg gggg

Dec 12, 2022, 9:30:39 PM12/12/22
On Friday, October 7, 2011 at 7:20:40 PM UTC-7, Satid wrote:
> I ask this with the hope that many of you may mention works that I do
> not know before or never had a chance to explore yet so that I can
> start to explore them.
>
> Whenever you want to induce yourself some peace of mind, what works do
> you frequently listen to? For me, these are the ones :
>
> - The Lark Ascending - among many performances I have, I prefer the
> one by Hugh Bean and London Symphony (?) under Boult on EMI
>
> - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - the performance by Sinfonia
> of London under Barbirolli on EMI GROC is my most favorite
>
> - Works by Arvo Part on an EMI Music for Pleasure CD by Tasmin Little
> with Bournemouth Sinfonetta under Studt - Frates, Spigel im Sigle, a
> work dedicated to Benjamin Britten.
>
> - The fisrt movement of Mahler's Symphony no.9 by Berlin Philharmonic
> under Barbirolli on EMI GROC. I listened to this for the fisrt time
> 4-5 years ago on a cool evening with light rain and I was deeply
> impressed at once.
>
> - The first movement of Glazunov's Symphony no.4 by Royal Philharmonic
> under Yondani Butt on ASV. I hope that this work would be recorded
> more than it has been.
>
> - Respighi's Ancient Airs and Dances Suite 3 for strings. I like the
> performance by ASMF under Marriner on Philips (coupled with other
> works, not suite 1 and 2). The one by Marriner with LA Chamber on EMI
> does not work out well for me becaue it sounds too rush. Nor does the
> one by Lopez-Cobos on Telarc (but its suite 1 and 2 are great for
> me).
>
> - Mozart's Clarinet Quintet. I like many recordings. The entire work
> invokes an image of a pleasant stroll in a lush garden.
>
> How about yours?

(2022 Y. upload):

"Gustav Holst - The Planets, Op. 32 - 7. Neptune, The Mystic (8x Loop)"

Dan Koren

Dec 13, 2022, 4:09:58 PM12/13/22
On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 6:30:39 PM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:

> "Gustav Holst - The Planets, Op. 32 - 7. Neptune, The Mystic (8x Loop)"

Jazz. Nothing but jazz.
Quiet music annoys.

dk