Most underrated, overlooked and neglected conductors of all time

gggg...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2018, 5:31:53 PM1/18/18

Jan 18, 2018, 7:20:07 PM1/18/18
On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 3:31:53 PM UTC-7, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

Jan 18, 2018, 8:21:38 PM1/18/18
On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 5:31:53 PM UTC-5, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

Jan 18, 2018, 9:06:32 PM1/18/18

graham

Jan 18, 2018, 10:19:23 PM1/18/18
Georg Tintner

Raymond Hall

Jan 19, 2018, 2:41:06 AM1/19/18
-JoAnn Falletta?
-David Alan Miller?

-MIFrost

I agree about Falletta, especially in repertoire a bit off the beaten track. Miles ahead of her stable mate Alsop. Falletta actually seems to bend the music to her will, wheras Alsop seems dragged along by it.

Ray Hall, Taree

Randy Lane

Jan 19, 2018, 9:27:56 AM1/19/18
On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 3:31:53 PM UTC-7, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Eugene Bigot?
>
> Otto Ackermann?

Morton Gould comes to mind.

JohnGavin

Jan 19, 2018, 9:46:15 AM1/19/18
Evgeni Svetlanov

Ed Presson

Jan 19, 2018, 1:03:05 PM1/19/18

"Raymond Hall" wrote in message
In my listening, Falletta has done some things very nicely; but other works
not so well. I concur about Alsop: except for a Takemitsu CD, I find most
of her recordings slack and unconvincing.

Ed Presson

Message has been deleted

MELMOTH

Jan 19, 2018, 6:23:06 PM1/19/18
Ce cher mammifère du nom de gggg...@gmail.com nous susurrait, le
jeudi 18/01/2018, dans nos oreilles grandes ouvertes mais un peu sales
quand même, et dans le message
<dd47ee4e-e291-4529...@googlegroups.com>, les doux
mélismes suivants :

> Eugene Bigot?

> Otto Ackermann?

Hans Swarowsky
Hermann Scherchen
Edouard Lindernberg

--
Car avec beaucoup de science, il y a beaucoup de chagrin ; et celui qui
accroît sa science, accroît sa douleur.

Message has been deleted

gggg...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2018, 1:02:52 AM1/20/18
According to the following:

- ...Morton Gould made some great classical records in those days, including Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade", Nielsen's 2nd Symphony, Ives's 1st Symphony, a Sibelius compendium, a Copland coupling of "Billy the Kid" and "Rodeo," a Vaughan Williams / Eric Coates collection and much else besides. He deserves a multi-CD RCA classical music boxed set all of his own.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/%22Morton$20Gould$20made$20some$20great$20classical$20records$20in$20those$20days$2C$20including$20Rimsky-Korsakov$27s$20%22%7Csort:date/rec.music.classical.recordings/MpNkNP6zuzE/FqYAFiEGZn4J

Marc P.

Jan 20, 2018, 2:25:59 AM1/20/18
Matacic
Mravinsky
Mitropoulos

MELMOTH

Jan 20, 2018, 2:59:31 AM1/20/18
Ce cher mammifère du nom de MELMOTH nous susurrait, le samedi
20/01/2018, dans nos oreilles grandes ouvertes mais un peu sales quand
même, et dans le message <mn.a0177e21b...@free.fr>, les doux
mélismes suivants :

> Ce cher mammifère du nom de gggg...@gmail.com nous susurrait, le jeudi
> 18/01/2018, dans nos oreilles grandes ouvertes mais un peu sales quand même,
> et dans le message <dd47ee4e-e291-4529...@googlegroups.com>,
> les doux mélismes suivants :

>> Eugene Bigot?

>> Otto Ackermann?

> Hans Swarowsky
> Hermann Scherchen
> Edouard Lindernberg

Van Oterloo

chriskh...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2018, 3:14:51 AM1/20/18
There's a sort of vicious circle attached to underrated conductors. By the very fact of what they are, they usually conduct third string orchestras or, if they did occasionally conduct a first class one, probably no record remains, or they recorded only as accompanists. Appreciation of Swarowsky, Lindenburg and Ackermann (apart from the Philharmonia operetta recordings) is hindered by the conditions under which we are obliged to hear them, or by the incompleteness of the repertoire they set down. Add Perlea to this list.

A signal case is Vladimir Delman, whose work we virtually know only through off-air recordings with Italian radio orchestras, three of which (including his own in Milan) were teetering towards extinction. Listening through these obstacles, we can hear that his Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, Berlioz and probably much else were up there with the best, but not everybody wants the bother of doing so.

Another question might be WHY some potentially great conductors never got beyond conducting third-rate orchestras. Just bad luck? Evil machinations by other conductors? In the case of Perlea and Delman, certain characterial issues seem to have made them their own worst enemies.

Lastly, Anatole Fistoulari's one recording with the Concertgebouw sounds like a great conductor at work, but most of his recordings with the London orchestras are just good-to-excellent. Underrated even so.

HT

Jan 20, 2018, 6:17:10 AM1/20/18

> Van Oterloo

Perhaps not the "most" overlooked. He certainly deserves to be mentioned.

Henk

Frank Berger

Jan 20, 2018, 7:50:31 PM1/20/18
On 1/19/2018 6:23 PM, MELMOTH wrote:
> Ce cher mammifère du nom de gggg...@gmail.com nous
> susurrait, le jeudi 18/01/2018, dans nos oreilles grandes
> ouvertes mais un peu sales quand même, et dans le message
> <dd47ee4e-e291-4529...@googlegroups.com>, les
> doux mélismes suivants :
>
>> Eugene Bigot?
>
>> Otto Ackermann?
>
> Hans Swarowsky
> Hermann Scherchen
> Edouard Lindernberg

People are no longer even bothering to say whether they
think conductors are under- or over- rated. We are reduced
to a random listing of names.

Raymond Hall

Jan 21, 2018, 12:41:03 AM1/21/18
People are no longer even bothering to say whether they
think conductors are under- or over- rated.  We are reduced
to a random listing of names.

Rather, it has become, 'who hasn't mentioned someone, that I can mention'.

Ray Hall, Taree

richard...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2018, 12:06:16 PM1/21/18
I can mention one. He introduced me to Mozart when he conducted (as a student) a student orchestra at the University of Southampton (UK). I lost contact with him some years later. Robert Frederick Hanson. It's a debt I really couldn't repay.

gggg...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2018, 1:57:20 PM1/21/18
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 9:59:31 PM UTC-10, MELMOTH wrote:
> Ce cher mammifère du nom de MELMOTH nous susurrait, le samedi
> 20/01/2018, dans nos oreilles grandes ouvertes mais un peu sales quand
> même, et dans le message <mn.a0177e21b...@free.fr>, les doux
> mélismes suivants :
>
> > Ce cher mammifère du nom de gggg...@gmail.com nous susurrait, le jeudi
> > 18/01/2018, dans nos oreilles grandes ouvertes mais un peu sales quand même,
> > et dans le message <dd47ee4e-e291-4529...@googlegroups.com>,
> > les doux mélismes suivants :
>
> >> Eugene Bigot?
>
> >> Otto Ackermann?
>
> > Hans Swarowsky
> > Hermann Scherchen
> > Edouard Lindernberg
>
> Van Oterloo

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/brahms$204%7Csort:relevance/rec.music.classical.recordings/e_tQ9W9eZHU/EupMPamKAQAJ

Alan Dawes

Jan 22, 2018, 7:00:59 AM1/22/18
In article <854db431-9f41-4f5d...@googlegroups.com>,
richard...@gmail.com <richard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 12:41:03 AM UTC-5, Raymond Hall wrote:
> > People are no longer even bothering to say whether they
> > think conductors are under- or over- rated. We are reduced
> > to a random listing of names.
> >
> > Rather, it has become, 'who hasn't mentioned someone, that I can
> > mention'.
> >
> I can mention one. He introduced me to Mozart when he conducted (as a
> student) a student orchestra at the University of Southampton (UK). I
> lost contact with him some years later. Robert Frederick Hanson. It's a
> debt I really couldn't repay.

Could he be:
http://www.boroughchamberchoir.org.uk/hanson.html

Alan

--
alan....@argonet.co.uk
alan....@riscos.org

MELMOTH

Jan 22, 2018, 8:25:40 AM1/22/18
Ce cher mammifère du nom de Marc P. nous susurrait, le samedi
20/01/2018, dans nos oreilles grandes ouvertes mais un peu sales quand
même, et dans le message
<db118274-08cf-4cea...@googlegroups.com>, les doux
mélismes suivants :

> Matacic
> Mravinsky
> Mitropoulos

Mravinsky and Mitropoulos are regularly re-released!...
OK for Matacic...

richard...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2018, 6:27:37 PM1/22/18
Thank you. He might indeed be the very same. He looks older of course, but perhaps less so than me. You know it's bad when people offer you seats on buses! Perhaps worse when they don't even ask for a ticket or pass- you are clearly old enough to have one!
Richard

Frank Berger

Jan 23, 2018, 11:42:06 AM1/23/18
Having made fun of this and it's companion thread, I'm going to contribute.
About a week ago Anshel Brusilow passed away. Considering the quality of his
recordings as performer and conductor and the complete lack of news coverage, I
think he qualifies as underrated. Concertmaster of the Philadelphia Orchestra
under Ormandy, founder of the Philadelphia Chamber Orchestra, conductor of the
Dallas Symphony, professor at North Texas State University. I heard him conduct
several concerts by the Richardson (TX) Symphony at Richardson High School late
in his career. Not exactly the big time, but the concerts were enjoyable.
Among his outstanding recordings as conductor are a Haydn #60 and a Borodin #2.
Most of his recordings that have been available on cd were on private transfers.

Adam Dubin

Jan 23, 2018, 4:51:14 PM1/23/18
I have wonderful Lps of him as violinist (Yardumian's Violin Concerto, with Ormandy/PO) and conductor with the Philadephia CO (Haydn's 60th, as you mention, b/w Cherubini's Symphony in D).

Lawrence Kart

Jan 23, 2018, 7:52:35 PM1/23/18
Peter Maag

mswd...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2018, 2:16:31 PM1/25/18
In my view the most underrated conductor is Lawrence Eckerling!

My contribution to this very unscientific thread is ridiculous since I've never heard him conduct. But he used to be a regular poster in RMC/RMCR, so I'm grading on a curve. (I'm waiting for the Exckerling Conducts Sigurd album with notes by Albert Silverman, for those of you with memories.)

What's even more ridiculous is that he's the conductor of my own community orchestra. I just keep ending up at concerts by other ensembles.

songst...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2018, 1:05:22 PM11/24/18
On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 4:31:53 PM UTC-6, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Eugene Bigot?
>
> Otto Ackermann?

Massimo Freccia

Precious Roy

Nov 24, 2018, 9:13:17 PM11/24/18
Issay Dobrowen

ways

Nov 27, 2018, 12:50:35 AM11/27/18
Most underrated Fabien Sevitzky

gggg gggg

Jun 2, 2021, 4:05:00 AM6/2/21
On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 2:31:53 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> Eugene Bigot?
>
> Otto Ackermann?

Heinz Unger?:

https://utorontopress.com/us/mahler-s-forgotten-conductor-2