Complete Markevitch DG and Philips Eloquence boxes

Randy Lane

Jul 9, 2021, 10:48:32 PM7/9/21

Jerry

Jul 10, 2021, 11:55:41 AM7/10/21
On Friday, July 9, 2021 at 10:48:32 PM UTC-4, randy...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://www.eloquenceclassics.com/releases/igor-markevitch-the-philips-legacy/
>
> https://www.eloquenceclassics.com/releases/igor-markevitch-the-deutsche-grammophon-legacy/

Quite tempting, despite having close to half these contents (DG and Philips) on
CDs already issued.

One item sorely in need of re-issue (IMHO) is the Nielsen Symphony No. 4
and Saga-Drom. It was licensed from FONA, but issued in
some markets on DGG or Heliodor labels.

Since FONA no longer exists (as far as I know), is anyone aware of the
copyright status of material from commercial entities that no longer
exist? I'm pretty sue there is already a long list of companies whose
products have fallen into discographic limbo.

Jerry

Bob Harper

Jul 10, 2021, 12:43:47 PM7/10/21
That's the one that was issued in the US on Turnabout. It was the first
recording of any of Nielsen's music I ever heard and it blew me away. It
would be wonderful if someone could discover the masters and get the
rights to transfer it to CD. I'd buy two :).

Bob Harper

Matthew Silverstein

Jul 10, 2021, 6:39:38 PM7/10/21
Intriguing. I think Markevitch had a higher hit-to-miss ratio than almost any other conductor who recorded at least as much repertoire.

Matty

Frank Berger

Jul 11, 2021, 1:04:39 AM7/11/21
If you are talking about the 1965 recording with Royal Danish Orchestra, it was transferred to CD-R by Klassic Haus.

http://klassichaus.us/Orchestral-Music-from-Denmark-Finland-Norway.php

Bob Harper

Jul 11, 2021, 7:59:55 PM7/11/21
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Bob Harper
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Fowler

Aug 17, 2021, 5:38:59 PM8/17/21
It reads that the Verdi Requiem (Moscow Philharmonic 1960) is appearing digitally in stereo for the first time.
I don't hear much stereo separation on the sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3TSqNtMYPc
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Fowler

Sep 3, 2021, 10:09:46 AM9/3/21
Videos for both new boxes are now on YourTube
Philips Legacy = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3TSqNtMYPc
DG Legacy = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zkEiCAF4CM
Message has been deleted

John Fowler

Sep 15, 2021, 12:42:10 PM9/15/21

Randy Lane

Sep 15, 2021, 1:18:50 PM9/15/21
Philips boxed shipped today from ImportCDS.COM
$104.29 to Arizona includes tax and shipping.

John Fowler

Sep 15, 2021, 1:43:58 PM9/15/21
Rats!
I preordered from Amazon, and just got an e-mail saying that it had shipped, so too late to cancel.
I'll certainly check out Import CDs before ordering the DG legacy box

Frank Berger

Sep 15, 2021, 3:03:42 PM9/15/21
ImportCDs' shows it as back ordered already. Ordering from them is a crap shoot. Sometimes you get your merchandise promptly at a good price. Sometimes your order sits there and they usually don't respond to inquiries. I don't mind saving money when I can, but AFAIAC, Amazon or Presto are much more reliable and worth paying a premium for.

Frank Berger

Sep 15, 2021, 4:36:03 PM9/15/21
Shipped today? I thought the release date was Sept. 24.

John Fowler

Sep 15, 2021, 4:38:28 PM9/15/21

>> Shipped today? I thought the release date was Sept. 24.
Yep, Shipped Today
Message has been deleted

MELMOTH

Sep 15, 2021, 5:09:07 PM9/15/21
John Fowler a formulé la demande :
> [...]
> Lamoureux MUSSORGSKY Six songs (orch. Markevitch) with Galina Vishnevskaya,
> USSR State Symphony RAVEL Boléro - Orquesta Sinfónica de la RTV Española
> RIMSKY-KORSAKOV:
> -- Capriccio Espagnol - London Symphony
> -- Russian Easter Overture - Amsterdam Concertgebouw
> -- Scheherazade - London Symphony
> STRAVINSKY
> -- Symphony of Psalms with Russian State Academic Choir, Russian State
> Academy Orchestra -- Apollon musagète (1947 version) - London Symphony
> -- Circus Polka - London Symphony
> -- Four Norwegian Moods - London Symphony
> -- Suites No. 1 and 2 for Small Orchestra - London Symphony
> -- L’Histoire du Soldat with Jean Cocteau, Jean-Marie Fertey, Peter Ustinov
> narrators, chamber ensemble TCHAIKOVSKY:
> -- Symphonies No.1-6 - London Symphony
> -- Manfred Symphony - London Symphony
> -- Francesca da Rimini - New Philharmonia
> -- Hamlet - New Philharmonia
> -- 1812 Overture - Amsterdam Concertgebouw
> TCHEREPNIN Tàti-Tàti with Olga Rostropovich piano, USSR State Symphony
> GIUSEPPE VERDI
> -- Aida Overture
> -- La forza del destino Sinfonia
> -- Giovanna d’Arco Overture
> -- Luisa Miller Overture
> -- Macbeth Ballet Music
> -- La traviata Preludes to Acts 1 and 3
> -- Vespri siciliani Overture
> New Philharmonia
> -- Requiem Mass with Vishnevskaya, Isakova, Ivanovsky, Petrov, Moscow
> Philharmonic WEBER Preciosa Overture - Orquesta Sinfónica de la RTV Española
>
> SPANISH MUSIC OF THE 16th to 18th CENTURIES
> Escolania de nuestra Señora del Buen Retiro, Coro de la RTV Españolar,
> Orquesta Sinfónica y Coros de la RTV Española: -- TOMÁS LUIS DE VICTORIA (c.
> 1548–1611) ------ Ave Maria
> ------ Vexilla regis
> ------ Magnificat primi toni
> -- IGNACIO RAMONEDA (1735–1781) Veni Creator
> -- PADRE JAIME FERRER (1762–1824) Lamentación 1a
>
> ANTOLOGIA DE LA ZARZUELA
> Soloists, Coro y Orquesta Sinfónica de la RTV Española:
> -- FRANCISCO ALONSO La Calesera: Dice el Rey que le debe guardar
> -- VICENTE LLEÓ BALBASTRE La corte de Faraón: Son las mujeres de Babilonia –
> ¡Ay ba! -- FRANCISCO ASENJO BARBIERI El barberillo de Lavapiés (excerpts)
> -- TOMÁS BRETÓN La Verbena de la Paloma (excerpts)
> -- UPERTO CHAPÍ Y LORENTE:
> ------ La Revoltosa (excerpts)
> ------ El tambor de Granaderos: Preludio
> ------ El Rey que Rabio: Coro de doctors
> -- FEDERICO CHUECA Agua, Azucarillos y Aguardiente: Vivimos en la Ronda de
> Embajadores -- MANUEL FERNANDEZ-CABALLERO Gigantes y Cabezudos: Jota
> -- GERÓNIMO GIMÉNEZ:
> ------ La Tempranica (excerpts)
> ------ El baile de Luis Alonso: Intermedio
> ------ La Tempranica: Zapateado
> ------ La boda de Luis Alonso: Intermedio
> ------ Enseñanza Libre: Gavota
> -- PABLO LUNA El Niño Judio (excerpts)
> -- MANUEL PENELLA El Gato Montés: Pasadoble
> -- AMADEO VIVES Doña Francisquita (excerpts)

I have almost all of these recordings...All of them absolutely
great!...

MELMOTH

Sep 15, 2021, 5:54:31 PM9/15/21
MELMOTH a exprimé avec précision :
> I have almost all of these recordings...All of them absolutely great!...

The Lamoureux/Markevitch association (from 1958 to 1962) was for me of
the same level of absolute perfection as Leningrad/Mravinsky,
Berlin/Karajan (60s and 70s), Cleveland/Szell or Czech
Philharmonic/Ancerl...

We know that IM was also a very great composer (Stravinsky was jealous
for a while !)...His complete works have been published by Parco
Polo...All of them fascinating...

John Fowler

Sep 17, 2021, 11:30:27 AM9/17/21
IGOR MARKEVITCH: COMBINED DG and PHILIPS LEGACY BOXES
see end of this list for
SPANISH MUSIC OF the 16th to 18th CENTURIES ON PHILIPS
ZARZUELA ON PHILIPS (two CDs)

ALBÉNIZ Catalonia: Orquesta de la RTV Española (1968) PHILIPS
AUBER La muette de Portici Overture: Lamoureux Orchestra (1961) DG
BEETHOVEN:
-- Symphony No.1: Lamoureux Orchestra (1960) PHILIPS
-- Symphony No.3 ‘Eroica’ Symphony of the Air (1957 mono) DG
-- Symphony No.5: Lamoureux Orchestra (1959) PHILIPS
-- Symphony No.6 ‘Pastoral’ Lamoureux Orchestra (1957 mono) DG
-- Symphony No.8: Lamoureux Orchestra (1959) PHILIPS
-- Symphony No.9 (Gueden, Heynis, Uhl, Rehfuss) Lamoureux Orchestra (1961) PHILIPS
-- Overtures (Coriolan, Egmont, Fidelio, Leonore III, Namensfeier, Weihe des Hauses) Lamoureux Orchestra (1958) DG
-- Piano Concerto No.3 with Clara Haskil: Lamoureux Orchestra (1959) PHILIPS
BERG Violin Concerto with Arthur Grumiaux: Amsterdam Concertgebouw (1967) PHILIPS
BERLIOZ:
-- Harold in Italy (Heinz Kirchner viola) Berlin Philharmonic (1955 mono) DG
-- Damnation of Faust (Verreau, Rubio, Roux) Lamoureux Orchestra (1959) DG
-- Symphonie fantastique:
-------- 1953: Berlin Philharmonic (mono) DG
-------- 1961: Lamoureux Orchestra (stereo) DG
BERWALD Symphonies No.3 & 4: Berlin Philharmonic (1955 mono) DG
BIZET:
-- L’Arlésienne Suites 1 & 2: Lamoureux Orchestra (1960) PHILIPS
-- Carmen Suites 1 & 2: Lamoureux Orchestra (1960) PHILIPS
-- Jeux d’enfants:
-------- Lamoureux Orchestra (1957 mono) DG
-------- USSR Symphony (1965) PHILIPS
BORODIN Prince Igor Polovtsian Dances with Chorus: Amsterdam Concertgebouw (1964) PHILIPS
BRAHMS:
-- Symphony No.1: Symphony of the Air (1956 mono) DG
-- Symphony No.4: Lamoureux Orchestra (1958) DG
-- Tragic Overture: USSR Symphony (1963) PHILIPS
-- Alto Rhapsody (Irina Arkhipova) USSR Symphony (1963) PHILIPS
CHABRIER España Rhapsody: Orquesta de la RTV Española (1966) PHILIPS
CHERUBINI:
-- Anacréon Overture: Lamoureux Orchestra (1961) DG
-- Requiem for Male Chorus and Orchestra: Czech Philharmonic (1962) DG
CHOPIN Piano Concerto No. 2 with Clara Haskil: Lamoureux Orchestra PHILIPS
CIMAROSA Concerto for two Flutes with Nicolet, Demmler: Berlin Philharmonic (1954 mono) DG
DEBUSSY:
-- La Mer: Lamoureux Orchestra (1959) DG
-- Danse sacrée et Danse profane: Lamoureux Orchestra (1959) DG
ESPLÁ De Profundis: Orquesta y Coros de la RTV Española (1966) PHILIPS
FALLA:
-- El amor brujo (Ines Rivadeneyra contralto) Orquesta de la RTV Española (1966) PHILIPS
-- Nights in the Gardens of Spain with Clara Haskil piano: Lamoureux Orchestra (1960) PHILIPS
-- Siete Canciones populares españolas (orch. Markevitch) (Ángeles Chamorro soprano) Orquesta de la RTV Española (1968) PHILIPS
GLINKA Ruslan and Ludmila Overture: Lamoureux Orchestra (1959) DG
GLUCK Sinfonia in G major: Lamoureux Orchestra (1958) DG
GOUNOD:
-- Symphony No.2: Lamoureux Orchestra (1957 mono) DG
-- Messe solennelle de Sainte Cécile (Seefried, Stolze, Uhde) Czech Philharmonic (1965 DG
GRANADOS:
-- Goyescas: Intermezzo: Orquesta de la RTV Española (1968) PHILIPS
-- Spanish Dances, Op. 37 No.4,8,9: Orquesta de la RTV Española (1968) PHILIPS
-- Zapateado: Orquesta de RTV Española (1968) PHILIPS
HALFFTER:
-- Fanfare a la memoria de Enrique Granados: Orquesta de la RTV Española (1968) PHILIPS
-- Canticum in P.P. Johannem XXIII: Orquesta y Coros de la RTV Española (1966) PHILIPS
HAYDN:
-- Symphonies No.103 & 104: Lamoureux Orchestra (1959) PHILIPS
-- Sinfonia concertante: Lamoureux Orchestra (1957 mono) DG
-- Die Schöpfung (Seefried, Holm, Borg) Berlin Philharmonic (1955 mono) DG
HONEGGER Symphony No.5 ‘Di tre re’ Lamoureux Orchestra (1957) mono DG
KODÁLY Psalmus Hungaricus with Róbert Ilosfalvy tenor: USSR Symphony (1963) PHILIPS
LIADOV Fragment de l’Apocalypse: Lamoureux Orchestra 1960 DG
MILHAUD Les Choéphores (Moizan, Bouvier, Rehfuss) Lamoureux Orchestra (1957 mono) DG
MOMPOU Los Improperios: Orquesta y Coros de la RTV Española (1968) PHILIPS
LEOPOLD MOZART Toy Symphony (Cassation in G major) USSR Symphony (1965) PHILIPS
MOZART:
-- Symphony No.34 with minuet k409: Berlin Philharmonic (1954 mono) DG
-- Symphony No. 35 ‘Haffner’ Lamoureux Orchestra (1957 mono) DG
-- Symphony No.38 ‘Prague’ Berlin Philharmonic (1954 mono) DG
-- Bassoon Concerto with Maurice Allard: Lamoureux Orchestra (1958) DG
-- Piano Concerti No.20 & 24 with Clara Haskil: Lamoureux Orchestra (1960) PHILIPS
-- Mass k317 ‘Coronation Mass’
-------- 1954 (Stader, Wagner, Krebs, Greindl) Berlin Philharmonic (mono) DG
-------- 1959 (Stader, Dominguez, Haefliger, Roux) Lamoureux Orchestra (stereo) DG
MUSSORGSKY
-- Pictures at an Exhibition (orch. Ravel): Berlin Philharmonic (1953 mono) DG
-- Six songs (orch. Markevitch) (Galina Vishnevskaya soprano) USSR Symphony (1965) PHILIPS
RAVEL Boléro: Orquesta de la RTV Española (1966) PHILIPS
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV:
-- Capriccio Espagnol: London Symphony (1962) PHILIPS
-- Russian Easter Overture:
-------- Lamoureux Orchestra (1957 mono) DG
------- Amsterdam Concertgebouw (1964) PHILIPS
-- Scheherazade: London Symphony (1962) PHILIPS
-- Le Coq d’or Suite: Lamoureux Orchestra (1958) DG
-- May Night Overture: Lamoureux Orchestra (1958) DG
ROUSSEL Bacchus et Ariane Suite No.2: Lamoureux Orchestra (1958) DG
SCHUBERT:
-- Symphonies No.3 & 4: Berlin Philharmonic (1954 mono) DG
STRAVINSKY:
-- Symphony of Psalms with Academic Choir: Russian State Orchestra (1962) PHILIPS
-- Apollon musagète (1947 version) London Symphony (1963) PHILIPS
-- Circus Polka: London Symphony (1963) PHILIPS
-- Four Norwegian Moods: London Symphony (1963) PHILIPS
-- Suites No. 1 and 2 for Small Orchestra: London Symphony (1963) PHILIPS
-- L’Histoire du Soldat with Cocteau, Ustinov narrators, chamber ensemble (1962) PHILIPS
TCHAIKOVSKY:
-- Symphonies No.1-6: London Symphony (1962-1967) PHILIPS
-------- Symphony No. 6 ‘Pathétique’: Berlin Philharmonic (1953 mono) DG
-- Manfred Symphony: London Symphony (1963) PHILIPS
-- Francesca da Rimini:
-------- Lamoureux Orchestra (1959) DG
-------- New Philharmonia (1967) PHILIPS
-- Hamlet: New Philharmonia (1967) PHILIPS
-- 1812 Overture: Amsterdam Concertgebouw (1964) PHILIPS
TCHEREPNIN Tàti-Tàti (Olga Rostropovich piano) USSR Symphony (1965) PHILIPS
VERDI:
-- Requiem (Vishnevskaya, Isakova, Ivanovsky, Petrov) Moscow Philharmonic (1960) PHILIPS
-- Aida Overture: New Philharmonia (1967) PHILIPS
-- La forza del destino Sinfonia: New Philharmonia (1967) PHILIPS
-- Giovanna d’Arco Overture: New Philharmonia (1967) PHILIPS
-- Luisa Miller Overture: New Philharmonia (1967) PHILIPS
-- Macbeth Ballet Music: New Philharmonia (1967) PHILIPS
-- La traviata Preludes to Acts 1 & 3: New Philharmonia (1967) PHILIPS
-- Vespri siciliani Overture: New Philharmonia (1967) PHILIPS
WAGNER:
-- Lohengrin Preludes to Acts 1 & 3: Lamoureux Orchestra (1958) DG
-- Tannhäuser Overture: Lamoureux Orchestra (1958) DG
-- Tannhäuser Venusberg Music (Bacchanale): Berlin Philharmonic (1954 mono) DG
-- Siegfried Idyll: Berlin Philharmonic (1954 mono) DG
-- Die Walküre Ride of the Valkyries: Berlin Philharmonic (1954 mono) DG
WEBER Preciosa Overture: Orquesta de la RTV Española (1966) PHILIPS

SPANISH MUSIC OF the 16th to 18th CENTURIES ON PHILIPS
performed by Escolania de nuestra Señora del Buen Retiro, and Orquesta y Coros de la RTV Española:
TOMÁS LUIS DE VICTORIA (1548-1611)
------ Ave Maria & Vexilla regis (1966)
------ Magnificat primi toni (1966)
IGNACIO RAMONEDA (1735–1781): Veni Creator (1966)
PADRE JAIME FERRER (1762–1824): Lamentación 1a (1968)

ANTHOLOGY OF ZARZUELA - RECORDED 1967 ON PHILIPS (two CDs)
soloists, Orquesta y Coro de la RTV Española:
[...]

INTERVIEW WITH IGOR MARKEVITCH (in English) 1957 DG

John Fowler

Sep 18, 2021, 4:32:04 PM9/18/21
HMV RECORDINGS NOT DUPLICATED IN THE DG OR PHILIPS BOXES:
About 95% of the music in the “Igor Markevitch Icon” box was not re-recorded by DG or Philips.
Mono unless otherwise indicated.
ONLY FIVE RECORDINGS ARE STEREO: Britten Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra / Prokofiev Peter & the Wolf / Stravinsky Rite of Spring / Tchaikovsky Romeo & Juliet and Nutcracker Suite.
ORTF = French National Radio Orchestra

BACH: Musical Offering (orch. Markevitch): ORTF (1956)
BARTOK Dance Suite: Philharmonia (1954)
BRAHMS Variations on a Theme of Haydn: Philharmonia (1951)
BRITTEN Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra:
------ 1952 with Peter Pears (in English) Philharmonia mono
------ 1969 with Peter Ustinov (in French) Orchestre de Paris STEREO
BUSONI Tanzwalzer: Philharmonia (1954)
CHABRIER Le Roi malgré lui: Fête Polonaise: Philharmonia (1952)
CHOPIN Les Sylphides Mazurka: Philharmonia (1954)
DALLAPICOLLA Canti di Prigionia: Santa Cecilia Orch. (1954)
DEBUSSY Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune: Philharmonia (1954)
DUKAS Sorcerer's Apprentice: Philharmonia (1952)
FALLA El Sombrero de Tres Picos three dances: Philharmonia (1952)
GLINKA ‘A Life for the Tsar’ complete opera: Lamoureux (1957)
HANDEL Concerto Grosso Op.6,No.5: Philharmonia (1950)
HAYDN Symphonies No.101 & 102: ORTF (1955)
LISZT Mephisto Waltz No.1: Philharmonia (1954)
MARKEVITCH:
-- L'Envol d'Icare: Belgian National Orchestra (1938)
-- Le Nouvel Âge: Belgian National Orchestra (1938)
MENDELSSOHN Symphony No.4: ORTF mono (1955)
MOZART German Dance K605,No.3 'Die Schlittenfahrt' Philharmonia (1954)
MUSSORGSKY Night on Bare Mountain: ORTF mono (1954)
OFFENBACH ‘La Perichole’ complete opera: Lamoureux (1958)
PROKOFIEV:
-- Symphony 1 'Classical' Philharmonia (1952)
-- Peter and the Wolf
-------- 1950 with Wilfred Pickles (English) Philharmonia (1950) mono
-------- 1969 with Peter Ustinov (French) Orchestre de Paris (1969) STEREO
-- Love for Three Oranges Suite: ORTF (1955)
-- Le Pas d'Acier Suite: Philharmonia (1954)
-- Scythian Suite: ORTF (1955)
RAVEL:
-- Daphnis et Chloé Suite No.2: Philharmonia (1954)
-- La Valse: Philharmonia (1952)
ROSSINI Overtures (Barbiere di Siviglia, Cenerentola, Gazza ladra, L'Italiana in Algeri, Scala di seta, William Tell) ORTF (1957)
SAINT-SAENS:
-- Danse macabre: Philharmonia (1954)
-- Le carnaval des animaux (Geza Anda & Bela Síki pianos) Philharmonia (1954)
SATIE Parade: Philharmonia (1954)
SCARLATTI Good-humoured Ladies (orch. Tommasini) Philharmonia (1954)
SCHUBERT Symphony 8 'Unfinished' ORTF (1955)
SHOSTAKOVICH Symphony 1: ORTF (1955)
SIBELIUS Valse Triste: Philharmonia (1954)
R. STRAUSS:
-- Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme Suite: ORTF (1956)
-- Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche: ORTF (1956)
STRAVINSKY:
-- The Rite of Spring:
-------- 1951 Philharmonia mono
-------- 1959 Philharmonia STEREO
-- Pulcinella Suite: ORTF (1954)
-- Le Baiser de la Fée Divertimento: ORTF (1954)
-- Petrushka Suite: Philharmonia (1954)
TCHAIKOVSKY:
-- Nutcracker Suite: Philharmonia (1959) STEREO
-- Romeo & Juliet:
------ 1954 ORTF mono
------ 1959 Philharmonia STEREO
-- Swan Lake, Op. 20: Philharmonia (1954)
-VERDI Battaglia di Legnano Overture: Philharmonia (1951)
-WEBER Invitation to the Dance:
------ 1950 Philharmonia mono
------ 1954 Philharmonia mono

John Fowler

Sep 30, 2021, 6:13:26 AM9/30/21
Looks like I will have to wait a bit longer for the Markevitch Philips Legacy box.
Message from Green Orbit, the Amazon seller:
"We can only assure you that the item was dispatched in good time, it would appear that the post office has unfortunately lost the delivery.
Per your request, we have initiated an immediate refund to your account. Once again, your patience is greatly appreciated and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

In the meantime, anyone who has the box, could you sample the Verdi Requiem to see if it really is stereo? Thanks.

drh8h

Sep 30, 2021, 7:23:49 AM9/30/21
I wonder if it was shipped from their nominal location, or from across the seas? My experience has been that all "missing" packages from U.K. particularly, do eventually show up. Good luck!

DH

drh8h

Sep 30, 2021, 7:28:12 AM9/30/21
Does anyone have the DG box? I was wondering if it has any credit for remastering, such as Chris Bernauer. Like many others, I suspect, I own most of these recordings in quite good masterings now.

DH

John Fowler

Sep 30, 2021, 9:03:17 AM9/30/21
Eloquence usually recycles the existing DG/Philips/Decca masterings.
The only new remasterings in the new Philips legacy box are the Verdi Requiem - in stereo for the first time,
and the 1/3 of "Antologia de la Zarzuela" that is being issued on CD for the first time (there was a 72 minute Philips CD back in 1991).

Randy Lane

Sep 30, 2021, 11:53:01 AM9/30/21
Green Orbit uses UPS Mail Innovations.
The daily status can be sedn at UPpl Sc with the right tracking number, which is often the same as the USPS number.

Get the USPS number Green Orbit supplied and go to:

https://www.ups.com/track?loc=en_US&requester=ST/

Randy Lane

Sep 30, 2021, 11:56:02 AM9/30/21

Frank Berger

Sep 30, 2021, 12:25:30 PM9/30/21
Which makes me wonder why my order with them hasn't shipped yet.

John Fowler

Sep 30, 2021, 12:46:24 PM9/30/21
Green Orbit and USPS use the same tracking number.
When I entered the number on the Green Orbit website, it said the package was handed to the USPS on September 15.
No further updates.
When I entered the number on the USPS website, it said a shipping label was created on September 20, but the USPS was still waiting for Green Orbit to hand over the package. No further updates.
Neither one knows what really happened.

Randy Lane

Sep 30, 2021, 1:23:03 PM9/30/21
Did you go the UPS site and put in the USPS # there?

John Fowler

Sep 30, 2021, 1:52:48 PM9/30/21
No - United States Postal Service

Randy Lane

Sep 30, 2021, 2:23:53 PM9/30/21
Last Green Orbit order I placed was for Orpheus box. They marked it USPS in Amazon, but in reality they used UPS Mail Innovations.

With that service UPS picks up from the package sender and handles the transportation until it arrives at your local delivery area. They then hand it off to the USPS at that post office location and USPS takes it to the delivery address. That last step is known as the Final Mile. For both legs the USPS tracking number is used to track the delivery, first on the UPS site and then, once UPS hand the package off at your local post office, at the USPS site. The USPS tracking will show exactly what you see until that Final Mile step. But until you can see more up to date status and location at the UPS web site using the same tracking number.

FedEx offers the same service under their product FedEx SmartPost.
DHL also offers this product under the title DHL Global Mail.

Go to the UPS link I gave and put in that USPS tracking number.

John Fowler

Sep 30, 2021, 3:58:10 PM9/30/21
> Go to the UPS link I gave and put in that USPS tracking number.
I tried the USPS tracking number on UPS and no luck.
Thanks for thinking of me anyway.

Frank Berger

Oct 1, 2021, 12:40:43 PM10/1/21
They never replied to my inquiry (I don't think they ever do), but they shipped the Markevitch Philips box today.

John Fowler

Oct 5, 2021, 6:00:36 PM10/5/21
Pleasant surprise: BOTH the DG and Philips boxes arrived today (Oct 5) from Import CDs.
First thing I did was listen to the Verdi Requiem to see if it really is stereo.
The loud choruses are congested and sound like electronic stereo, but the quieter parts sound like real stereo.
Try CD 20:
tracks 1 Dies irae and 2 Tuba mirum are a mess, but an exciting mess.
tracks 3 Mors stupebit 4 Liber scriptus and 5 Quid sum miser
all have definite directionality when listened to over headphones.

Randy Lane

Oct 6, 2021, 12:45:18 AM10/6/21
Be interesting to compare the Requiem recording with my existing Tower Japan CDs.
Probably be a while before I can though.

John Fowler

Oct 6, 2021, 5:51:14 PM10/6/21
I have now listened to the complete Verdi Requiem, and have tempered my enthusiasm about the recorded sound.
The sound is more than mono but less than stereo
(Eloquence claimed it was stereo in their video, but it is not identified as "stereo" in the booklet or on the labels).
It has it's moments, but is mostly a mess.
I suppose the fault might be with the Melodiya engineers.
This was a co-production of Philips and Melodiya.
The stereo for his return to Moscow in 1963 was a lot cleaner.
Still a fabulous performance.

gggg gggg

Oct 9, 2021, 3:35:25 PM10/9/21
On Friday, July 9, 2021 at 7:48:32 PM UTC-7, randy...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://www.eloquenceclassics.com/releases/igor-markevitch-the-philips-legacy/
>
> https://www.eloquenceclassics.com/releases/igor-markevitch-the-deutsche-grammophon-legacy/

(Recent Y. upload):

Review: Marvelous Markevitch Part 2: The DG Recordings

drh8h

Oct 9, 2021, 3:54:18 PM10/9/21
Agree with everything you say about the performance and recording. The image is shifted considerably to the left. A balance control, not available on a lot of recent equipment, is a must. I had no interest in a "Russian" Verdi Requiem, even conducted by Markevitch, and avoided any opportunity of hearing it. My mistake! One of the great performances, if not "idiomatic." Love the male portion of the chorus, though.

DH