Mozart violin concertos

Andy Evans

Apr 24, 2006, 7:22:00 PM4/24/06
I see orchestral musicians as clients and have a couple of violinists
doing auditions - inevitably this means Mozart concertos. I realised I
have no CDs of these and feel like getting one or two really good ones.
I have Heifetz and Oistrakh on LP. What do you guys suggest in terms of
CDs? Which are the fiddlers who would really wow the audition panels?

Vaneyes

Apr 24, 2006, 8:43:40 PM4/24/06

Matthew B. Tepper

Apr 24, 2006, 8:47:58 PM4/24/06
"Andy Evans" <performan...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in news:1145920920.331378.97990
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Oistrakh for me, particularly his EMI readings where he not only plays but
also conducts the Berlin Philharmonic.

I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made. ~ FDR (attrib.)

John Thomas

Apr 24, 2006, 9:44:26 PM4/24/06
In article <1145925819.9...@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Vaneyes" <van...@excite.com> wrote:

The Oistrakh set is a fine one but I also like Pamela Frank's
performances with Zinman on Arte Novae. Outstanding orchestral backup
for Frank's energetic solo work, and great sound too.

--
Regards,
John Thomas

Todd Schurk

Apr 24, 2006, 10:03:30 PM4/24/06

I really like the newish Mutter/Dg which is very stylish, fiery &
poetic...and it has a tremendous K.365 w/Bashmet-one of the best ever!

Simon Roberts

Apr 24, 2006, 10:52:30 PM4/24/06
In article <1145920920....@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>, Andy Evans
says...

>I see orchestral musicians as clients and have a couple of violinists
>doing auditions - inevitably this means Mozart concertos. I realised I
>have no CDs of these and feel like getting one or two really good ones.
>I have Heifetz and Oistrakh on LP. What do you guys suggest in terms of
>CDs?

Grumiaux/Davis/Philips and Mutter/DG for the whole lot, Heifetz in 4, and if
you're willing to try HIP, the new disc of 1-3 with Biondi.

>Which are the fiddlers who would really wow the audition panels?

Haven't a clue.

Simon

Satid S.

Apr 24, 2006, 11:47:49 PM4/24/06
I really admire W. Schneiderhan conducting Berlin Philharmonic and
performing solo part of no. 3-5 on DG. His performance is bright, bold
and energetic in outer movements and the inner ones flow with grace and
charm. No.4 is especially admirable for me. He also provides his own
cadenzas that match the classical mood of the works. The sound of the
orchestra and soloist are all superb (though someone may find the solo
violin a bit too prominent).

This may be hard to find but if U see it, grab it without delay and U
will have agood time with these works.

Satid S.

Listener

Apr 25, 2006, 12:48:38 AM4/25/06
Simon Roberts wrote:

> Grumiaux/Davis/Philips and Mutter/DG for the whole lot, Heifetz in 4, and if
> you're willing to try HIP, the new disc of 1-3 with Biondi.

I'd strongly agree with the Grumiaux/Davis recommendation and the
Heifetz.. Heifetz/Sargent on RCA/BMG is what I mean.

Berkshire Record Outlet has the Grumiaux set at a good price now. (It
is a recent release with some violin sonatas rather than the Simfonia
Concertante but still a good deal.)

Bill

Thornhill

Apr 25, 2006, 1:23:09 AM4/25/06

Andy Evans wrote:
> I see orchestral musicians as clients and have a couple of violinists
> doing auditions - inevitably this means Mozart concertos.

People use the Mozart violin concertos for auditions? I would think
they're not dazzlingly difficult enough for such purposes. The
Tchaikovsky seems more like the kind of piece people would use.

> I realised I
> have no CDs of these and feel like getting one or two really good ones.
> I have Heifetz and Oistrakh on LP. What do you guys suggest in terms of
> CDs? Which are the fiddlers who would really wow the audition panels?

Grumiaux/Davis/LSO on Philips

Gerard

Apr 25, 2006, 3:05:30 AM4/25/06
Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> "Andy Evans" <performan...@gmail.com> appears to have caused
> the following letters to be typed in news:1145920920.331378.97990
> @e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I see orchestral musicians as clients and have a couple of
> > violinists doing auditions - inevitably this means Mozart
> > concertos. I realised I have no CDs of these and feel like getting
> > one or two really good ones. I have Heifetz and Oistrakh on LP.
> > What do you guys suggest in terms of CDs? Which are the fiddlers
> > who would really wow the audition panels?
>
> Oistrakh for me, particularly his EMI readings where he not only
> plays but also conducts the Berlin Philharmonic.

Wrong choice of orchestra.
Oistrach has made finer recordings of some of these concertos.

Freddie F

Apr 25, 2006, 3:34:26 AM4/25/06

Andy Evans wrote:
> I see orchestral musicians as clients and have a couple of violinists
> doing auditions - inevitably this means Mozart concertos. I realised I
> have no CDs of these and feel like getting one or two really good ones.
> I have Heifetz and Oistrakh on LP. What do you guys suggest in terms of
> CDs?

Kreisler's first K.218, on Naxos

> Which are the fiddlers who would really wow the audition panels?

Well, Kreisler failed his orchestral audition...

Gregory Arkadin

Apr 25, 2006, 8:38:08 AM4/25/06

I quite like Kuusisto/Mustonen on Ondine and Dumay on EMI for 3-5.

Norman M. Schwartz

Apr 25, 2006, 11:49:56 AM4/25/06

"John Thomas" <abras...@gmail.com> wrote >> Andy Evans wrote:
>> > I see orchestral musicians as clients and have a couple of violinists
>> > doing auditions - inevitably this means Mozart concertos. I realised I
>> > have no CDs of these and feel like getting one or two really good ones.
>> > I have Heifetz and Oistrakh on LP. What do you guys suggest in terms of
>> > CDs? Which are the fiddlers who would really wow the audition panels?
>>
>> Oistrakh/BPO (EMI Encore).
>>
>> http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=8429&name_role1=1&name_
>> id2=16503&name_role2=2&bcorder=21&comp_id=1990
>>
>> http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=54151
>
> The Oistrakh set is a fine one but I also like Pamela Frank's
> performances with Zinman on Arte Novae. Outstanding orchestral backup
> for Frank's energetic solo work, and great sound too.

Szeryng, CME Vol 8.

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1074104&title=Complete+Mozart+Edition+Vol+8+-+Violin+Concertos

> --
> Regards,
> John Thomas

J. Teske

Apr 25, 2006, 12:22:15 PM4/25/06
On 24 Apr 2006 22:23:09 -0700, "Thornhill" <seth...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Andy Evans wrote:
>> I see orchestral musicians as clients and have a couple of violinists
>> doing auditions - inevitably this means Mozart concertos.
>
>People use the Mozart violin concertos for auditions? I would think
>they're not dazzlingly difficult enough for such purposes. The
>Tchaikovsky seems more like the kind of piece people would use.

The inclusion of a Mozart Concerto is listed in almost every pro
orchestra's list of audition pieces. They usually are also requested
to play an opening movement from a major violin concerto. In addition
most orchestras also have a list of audition excerpts from major
symphonic repetory. Some of the perennials include.

Strauss, Don Juan; Schumann, Scherzo from Sym 2 (notorious knuckle
buster); Mozart, Finale, Sym 39. (to name but just a few)

The inclusion of Mozart is not so surprising. An orchestra needs to
know more about a violinist than simply a candidate's finger prowess.
Playing, for example, a Paganini Caprice, while certainly
demonstrating some important abilities, does not reveal much about the
musicality of the candidate. Mozart is ideal in a way. It will show
prowess in something other than finger heroics. It will reveal any
weaknesses in scale passages, arpeggio passages, the running 16th
note passage work that is the stock and trade of an orchestral
musician, intonation. While the ability to play say, the Paganini
first concerto will show how well a candidate learned his technical
skills, there is comparatively little in that concerto which is of
practical use in a symphony orchestra section. We in orchestras simply
don't play that kind of stuff. The audition committee doesn't need to
be dazzled, they need to be convinced that a player can play the sort
of things he is to be hired to do. An audition committee would also
like to know experience levels in actual ensemble playing including
such basics as can a violinist follow a conductor (many virtuosi
students can't do this if they never played in actual orchestras. It
is why conservatories require students, even the most gifted solo
calibre student to play in conservatory orchestras.)

Jon Teske, violinist

Rich S.

Apr 25, 2006, 1:13:31 PM4/25/06
Another vote for Grumiaux!

On 24 Apr 2006 16:22:00 -0700, "Andy Evans"

Vaneyes

Apr 25, 2006, 1:38:00 PM4/25/06

Have at it with your recommendations. Here's a discography to help.

No mono, and CDs only for me, please.

http://www.oistrakh.com/discographie_geffen.html#moz

Regards

Andy Evans

Apr 25, 2006, 2:51:06 PM4/25/06
The inclusion of a Mozart Concerto is listed in almost every pro
orchestra's list of audition pieces>>

Certainly in Europe, you can't avoid it. Most violinists play the A
major (or in practice the exposition before they are stopped). I wonder
why more don't play nos. 3 or 4, because the A major is in many ways
quite tricky to do really well.

Jon - I wonder what your thoughts are about which Mozart, and also
which other concerto. Both my clients are doing the A major, then one
is doing the Tchaikovsky (got fed up with the Glazunov) and the other
the Sibelius, which I would have thought is very tricky to play really
well with just a piano (or even the first pages with an orchestra!!).
What have you found sounds effective with a piano? Andy

Edward A. Cowan

Apr 25, 2006, 5:35:47 PM4/25/06
Schneiderhan recorded all five of the Mozart violin concerti with the
BPO. These were issued on LP in a set from DG: 2864 006, three LP's.

In addition, the box also contains:

Adagio for Violin in E major, K.261
Rondo for Violin in B-flat major, K.269
Rondo for Violin in C major, K.373

This is one of my favorite sets of the concerti. (I also have sets by
Stern and Grumiaux.)

Alas, it seems that only nos.3-5 have reappeared on CD. --E.A.C.

J. Teske

Apr 25, 2006, 6:46:39 PM4/25/06
On 25 Apr 2006 11:51:06 -0700, "Andy Evans"
<performan...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think I would do something obviously Romantic that does not have a
long intro. Dvorak, Nielsen, Mendelssohn (although a bit dangerous as
everyone plays it.) I'd also ask if you can skip all but the last few
bars of the intro to something with a long intro e.g. Beethoven
(probably not a good choice) or the Brahms.

Mozart, if everyone is doing the 5th (A maj) I'd opt for the 4th (D
maj) I'd also prepare the Ferdinand David cadenza (the one David
Oistrakh uses) because everyone else will be doing the Joachim. The
Joachim is pretty much standard for the A maj. I wouldn't do the G maj
as that has a reputation as a kid's piece (I played it as a kid.) You
also have to give some thought as to what a staff provided accompanist
might know.

Jon

Alan Cooper

Apr 25, 2006, 6:57:59 PM4/25/06
On 25 Apr 2006 05:38:08 -0700, "Gregory Arkadin"
<arkad...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Nice to see someone recommending artists who are still alive. (I also
saw the recs for Frank, Mutter, and Biondi, but they're distinctly in
the minority.) Today I was listening to Zimmermann/Faerber.
Beautifully played and recorded, just the right scale, and good price
(an EMI twofer w/extras). I like Grumiaux much more in other
repertoire than Mozart.

AC

petrushka

Apr 25, 2006, 7:44:35 PM4/25/06

>> > I see orchestral musicians as clients and have a couple of
>> > violinists doing auditions - inevitably this means Mozart
>> > concertos. I realised I have no CDs of these and feel like getting
>> > one or two really good ones. I have Heifetz and Oistrakh on LP.
>> > What do you guys suggest in terms of CDs? Which are the fiddlers
>> > who would really wow the audition panels?

I have no idea what wows an audition panel but my personal favorite is
Mutter with Von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic. It is a youthful
approach that avoids the heavy romantic interpretations of Stern, Perlman,
etc. Light and vivacious captures Mozart best and a young teen Mutter does
this better than anyone I have heard.

Petrushka

Todd Schurk

Apr 25, 2006, 9:14:49 PM4/25/06

These are available in Japan (I got mine from CD/Japan) on a two-fer
and I believe they were on a DG 2 disc set on Eloquence in Europe. It
is a fine set indeed-though I still like the new Mutter/DG better.

Steve Emerson

Apr 25, 2006, 11:14:41 PM4/25/06
In article <1145968688.4...@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Gregory Arkadin" <arkad...@yahoo.com> wrote:

This implies you liked Dumay's 1&2 less?

Anyone have thoughts on Dumay DG vs Dumay EMI?

Thx,
SE.

Don Rice

Apr 26, 2006, 1:29:55 AM4/26/06

Rich S. wrote:
> Another vote for Grumiaux!

And another enthusiastic one. I have the Centenary mono set from 1956
which I like a bit more than the set with Davis.
Oistrakh's playing though gorgeous seems a bit romantic for the music.
Grumiaux's appeal for me is the reserve and elegant quality of his
playing. (Perhaps due to his narrower vibrato and stricter adherence to
his basic tempi.)
Don

Gerard

Apr 26, 2006, 2:50:26 AM4/26/06
petrushka wrote:

> I have no idea what wows an audition panel but my personal favorite is
> Mutter with Von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic. It is a youthful
> approach that avoids the heavy romantic interpretations of Stern,
> Perlman, etc. Light and vivacious captures Mozart best and a young
> teen Mutter does this better than anyone I have heard.

But did you hear her recent recordings for DG?
These are even without Karajan (she's conducting her self).

Andy Evans

Apr 26, 2006, 6:28:52 AM4/26/06
I'd strongly agree with the Grumiaux/Davis recommendation and the
Heifetz.. Heifetz/Sargent on RCA/BMG is what I mean. >>

I had a listen to the Heifetz and was very underwhelmed - the recording
makes his tone rather thin and scratchy in places, plus I miss the long
suave lines - he's rather affected and tentative at times. How is
Mullova in these?

JohnGavin

Apr 26, 2006, 7:53:08 AM4/26/06

Listener wrote:
> Simon Roberts wrote:
> > Grumiaux/Davis/Philips and Mutter/DG for the whole lot, Heifetz in 4, and if
> > you're willing to try HIP, the new disc of 1-3 with Biondi.
>
> I'd strongly agree with the Grumiaux/Davis recommendation and the
> Heifetz.. Heifetz/Sargent on RCA/BMG is what I mean.

Seconded, especially #4, which is wonderful.

Gregory Arkadin

Apr 26, 2006, 8:53:11 AM4/26/06

The only Dumay Mozart I have is in that inexpensive set with K563, duos
and so on - it doesn't include 1-2 - and I haven't heard the DG. I
like the Biondi 1-3 as well but don't find the the first two VCs as
interesting as the last three.

Vincent Ventrone

Apr 26, 2006, 11:15:51 AM4/26/06
> I have Heifetz and Oistrakh on LP. What do you guys suggest in terms of
> CDs? Which are the fiddlers who would really wow the audition panels?

I've always loved the set recorded by Lin with Raymond Leppard conducting
the ECO for Sony -- lovely playing & great orchestral work.

Steve Emerson

Apr 26, 2006, 2:15:42 PM4/26/06
In article <1146055991.7...@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Gregory Arkadin" <arkad...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thanks for following up. There's a cheap EMI of the five at present...

SE.

MrT

Apr 26, 2006, 2:33:11 PM4/26/06
This set by Pasquier under Bartholomée is now my favorite, displacing
Grumiaux, Oistrakh and other great names:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000067FG1/402-4454786-4558527

Best,

MrT

Simon Roberts

Apr 26, 2006, 2:26:58 PM4/26/06
Arkadin says...

I had forgotten about the Ondine; I like it a lot also - hope they finish the
set and add the Sinf. Conc.

Simon

Steve Emerson

Apr 26, 2006, 5:42:02 PM4/26/06
In article <e2oe1...@drn.newsguy.com>,
Simon Roberts <sd...@comcast.net> wrote:

> >I quite like Kuusisto/Mustonen on Ondine and Dumay on EMI for 3-5.
>
> I had forgotten about the Ondine; I like it a lot also - hope they finish the
> set and add the Sinf. Conc.

Have an opinion on either of Dumay's?

Thx,
SE.

Terry Simmons

Apr 27, 2006, 4:39:06 AM4/27/06
In article <1145920920....@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,
"Andy Evans" <performan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see orchestral musicians as clients and have a couple of violinists
> doing auditions - inevitably this means Mozart concertos. I realised I
> have no CDs of these and feel like getting one or two really good ones.
> I have Heifetz and Oistrakh on LP. What do you guys suggest in terms of
> CDs? Which are the fiddlers who would really wow the audition panels?

Heard Stern doing the 5th to-day. Wonderful violin-playing. Unfortunately the
conductor (Szell) almost spoiled it with his grumpy accompaniment. The easiest
recommendation to make is Grumiaux/Davis on Philips.

--
Cheers!

Terry

Simon Roberts

Apr 27, 2006, 10:10:27 AM4/27/06
In article <emersn-818BD8....@nnrp-virt.nntp.sonic.net>, Steve
Emerson says...

Haven't heard DG Dumay; like the EMI enough to keep the box, especially the
Sinfonia Concertante and 563, but I haven't listened to it recently enough to be
able to say anything specific about it.

gggg gggg

May 25, 2022, 4:09:35 AM5/25/22
On Monday, April 24, 2006 at 1:22:00 PM UTC-10, Andy Evans wrote:
> I see orchestral musicians as clients and have a couple of violinists
> doing auditions - inevitably this means Mozart concertos. I realised I
> have no CDs of these and feel like getting one or two really good ones.
> I have Heifetz and Oistrakh on LP. What do you guys suggest in terms of
> CDs? Which are the fiddlers who would really wow the audition panels?

(Recent Y. upload):

Dave's Faves: My Personal Favorite Recordings No. 86 (Mozart)