Aaarrrr, a ton o' pirated symphonies on youtube

whisky...@yahoo.com

Jan 28, 2012, 2:37:27 PM1/28/12
While tooling around youtube looking for stuff by Beethoven's
illegitimate son, Anton Rubinstein (joke), I came across a stash of
rare Scandinavian and other symphonies uploaded by a feller who calls
himself GoldieG89. This blighter seems to be cheerfully violating
copyright and left by uploading complete hour-long symphonies along
with their liner notes from fairly recent commercial recordings (some
of which I recognize as old friends from my own stash). The pictorials
usually are rather unlikely-looking fantasy landscapes. There's the
complete run of Anton Rubinstein probably taken from Marco Polo and
here's Harald Saeverud's Symphony No.2 in c mijnor, Op. 4 (1934), (24
mins), probably from some Scandinavian record company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWskLQ-DOhY&feature=related

Take a look at the thumbnails on the right of this page. I see:

Harald Saeverud, Symphony No. 3 in b flat minor (1926) (44:31 mins)
Gerhard Schjelderup, Symphony No. 2 "To Norway" (39:17 mins)
Hilding Rosenberg, Symphony No. 3 (1930s) (33:03 mins)
Uuno Klami, Symphony No. 2, Op. 35 (1945) (35:53 mins)
Paul von Klenau, Symphony No. 7 "Storm" (1941) (32:54 mins)
Johann Halvorsen, Suite from Masquerade (1922) (28:14 mins)
Karl-Birger Blomdahl, Symphony No. 3 "Facetter", 1950
Paul Dukas, Symphony in C major (1895)
Boris Lyatoshynsky, Symphony No. 1
Peder Gram, Symphony No. 2, Op. 25 (1925)
Peder Gram, Symphony No. 3 in e minor, Op. 35, (1954)
Ludolf Nielsen, Symphony No. 1 in B
Ludolf Nielsen, Symphony No. 2 in E major, Op. 19, (1907)
Ludolf Nielsen, The Tower of Babel (1912) (35:21 mins)
Erkii Melartin, Symphony No. 1 in c minor, Op. 30, No. 1 (1902)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FJ2C3jcrt0&feature=related

In fact, there are all six of Melartin's symphonies taken from the
Ondine box, which I own.
http://www.amazon.com/Melartin-Six-SYMPHONIES-Erkki/dp/B00001W08G/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1327778222&sr=1-1

On this page there are still more treasures -- J.P.E. Hartmann, Piano
Sonata No. 1, Leevi Madetoja, Symphony No. 2 (probably taken from the
Chandos set, which I own), Popov, etc., etc, too many to list. In
fact, if you follow the trail of Goldie you find more and more rare
stuff which you always wanted to buy.

Those who have a taste for rarely heard symphonic literature (and who
doesn't?) are advised to wallow in this "Golden" shower before youtube
deletes them. I hardly think that companies like Ondine, BIS, Chandos,
Marco Polo are going to allow Goldie to loot their vaults much longer.
The sad thing is that although he has been uploading them since
mid-2011, hardly anyone has been listening to them.

Dufus

Jan 28, 2012, 7:44:17 PM1/28/12
>On Jan 28, 1:37 pm, "whiskynspl...@yahoo.com" <whiskynspl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The sad thing is that although he has been uploading them since
> mid-2011, hardly anyone has been listening to them.

Which is why pirating CM is but a moral issue ? And a sad commentary
on a society where "stealing" CM is really no crime.

Frankly, such has led me to discoveries I would have not otherwise
made, and thus many cd purchases. Pity CM's CEO's cant seem to solve
the riddle ; especailly at their salaries and benes.

Dufus

weary flake

Jan 29, 2012, 1:39:27 PM1/29/12
"whisky...@yahoo.com" <whisky...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The sad thing is that although he has been uploading them since
> mid-2011, hardly anyone has been listening to them.

I have some of the actual CDs of some of what he posts,
re: search terms GoldieG89 bruckner or GoldieG89 rubinstein,
are you saying it's sad to listen to CDs when I could
instead be listening to youtube?

whisky...@yahoo.com

Jan 30, 2012, 9:57:15 PM1/30/12
On Jan 29, 12:39 pm, weary flake <wearyfl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
No, what I am saying is that it is sad that with so many of these rare
works posted complete on youtube, it is sad that so few classical
musical listeners have sampled them (usually less than a thousand). In
contrast, millions of people watch idiotic "cats falling asleep"
videos.

I too, have some, but not *all* of these works and it is much better
to listen to them from the CDs. I also agree with a previous poster
that being exposed to these works on youtube has increased my desire
to own the original CDs -- example, the Franz Schmidt Piano Quintet.
In fact, GoldieG89 has been posting since 2009, only then the multi-
movement works were cut up into 10-min chunks. As none of the
companies have complained I can only assume that maybe Goldie is doing
it with their implicit approval in order to get some free advertising
for recordings that might have only sold only a few hundred copies. If
that is the case, I heartily approve since I will certainly buy some
of them now.

Kerrison

Jan 31, 2012, 2:50:44 AM1/31/12
On Jan 31, 2:57 am, "whiskynspl...@yahoo.com"
I think you've hit the nail on the head about "free advertising." I
was told a while back that someone had informed a record company that
10 minutes of one of their in-copyright CDs was on Your Tube but the
response was "All publicity is good publicity." In fact, there was
apparently some evidence that sales of the CD had gone up as a result
of over 3,000 You Tube viewers having heard that one excerpt. Goldies
home page shows a lot of appreciative comments from people who've
never heard these works before. If the record companies were that
concerned about copyright they could easily have had all this "free
advertising" removed by now ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoldieG89?feature=watch

Of course, some record companies use You Tube for publicity anyway.
One example is ICA Classics, with excerpts from DVDs and CDs they've
issued of concerts conducted by Boult, Munch, Termikanov, Tennstedt,
Steinberg, etc. ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ICAClassics

Not to be missed is Leinsdorf and the Boston SO in a sensationally
fast performance of the Tchaikovsky 5th. In the finale you can hear
him singing along at one point ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egBx6Q5faQo&list=UUzMB1GityGddGWZzMSck9Gw&index=6&feature=plcp

whisky...@yahoo.com

Jan 31, 2012, 4:49:07 AM1/31/12
On Jan 31, 1:50 am, Kerrison <kerrison126-spar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I think you've hit the nail on the head about "free advertising." I
> was told a while back that someone had informed a record company that
> 10 minutes of one of their in-copyright CDs was on Your Tube but the
> response was "All publicity is good publicity." In fact, there was
> apparently some evidence that sales of the CD had gone up as a result
> of over 3,000 You Tube viewers having heard that one excerpt. Goldies
> home page shows a lot of appreciative comments from people who've
> never heard these works before. If the record companies were that
> concerned about copyright they could easily have had all this "free
> advertising" removed by now ...

Oops!

GoldieG89 Hello everyone. Just a few days ago I received my first
strike against my account. Which means I can no longer upload videos
longer than 15 minutes. I really do not like splitting works into
multiple files so this channel will continue on "GoldieG91". Link is
below. I will use this channel, GoldieG89, for shorter works. Thank
you all for the comments and viewing.
www.youtube.com/goldieg91
(1 hour ago)

Just when I was listening to the wild and wooly Geirr Tveitt - Sun God
Symphony Op. 81 (21 mins)

Matthew B. Tepper

Jan 31, 2012, 9:56:06 AM1/31/12
Kerrison <kerrison1...@yahoo.co.uk> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in
Yikes! Another conductor with "mirror arms," a technique that one is
supposed to avoid. Kent Nagano has always conducted this way, though, and
it never kept players from understanding his intentions either.

Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers

Message has been deleted

wagnerfan

Jan 31, 2012, 12:26:15 PM1/31/12
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:22:32 +0100, EM <emmemmme...@gnail.com>
wrote:

>"whisky...@yahoo.com" <whisky...@yahoo.com> - Sat, 28 Jan 2012
>11:37:27 -0800 (PST):
>
>> Those who have a taste for rarely heard symphonic literature (and who
>> doesn't?) are advised to wallow in this "Golden" shower before youtube
>> deletes them. I hardly think that companies like Ondine, BIS, Chandos,
>> Marco Polo are going to allow Goldie to loot their vaults much longer.
>> The sad thing is that although he has been uploading them since
>> mid-2011, hardly anyone has been listening to them.
>
>The sound is inferior (129 Kbps AAC), so I can't believe that they're
>worried about these postings. People who really like the music will
>want to have the real thing.
>By the way, you'd be suprised to see what can be found on the internet
>(on numerous sites which the FBI can't close down).
>
>EM
No question there is an incredible amount of material on various
personal blogs e.g. complete Mahler sets in multiple versions ditto
for Beethoven and the Bach cantatas. I guess it would be an incredible
amount of work to find them and close them but if you are looking for
an OOP or hard to find recording there is a good chance you can find
it there and often in FLAC> Wagner fan

weary flake

Feb 1, 2012, 12:01:16 AM2/1/12
Sorry, I was being a bit jesty, recalling the tech jesters
who are always saying that any technology to deliver music
is always better if it is newer (ie: youtube: streaming: new:
therefore good, CD = old, therefore bad). Of course illegal
youtube classical posts have lead me to make purchases of the
real deal on CD (and hunting down old LPs), and have certainly
steered me away from stuff I didn't like, too, from listening to
it on youtube. Which is why youtube is typically annoying, as
the sources are usually not given, which makes it harder (or
impossible) to find the real thing the youtube post is copied
from.
Message has been deleted

zant...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2013, 9:59:20 PM7/1/13
To GoldieG89: I hope you can back up all the songs you had in your account "GoldieG89" because, like many, I could not hear a great majority of these, which in my opinion are priceless pieces of art and master of If not for you, I would never have heard, it would have been a shame.
So hopefully well understood: in GoldieG89 you climb the shorter pieces GoldieG91 go ye up the whole parts?
Well, hopefully you do not have more problems because it is a great favor that you're doing to the community that is interested in esuchar these great and magnificent works that you feel for give out.
THANKS!

Kerrison

Jul 5, 2013, 2:38:03 AM7/5/13
Of course, there are masses of out-of-copyright recordings on You Tube which would interest many collectors. For example, in the current (July) issue of the Gramophone, a reader has written in to extol what he calls "the first-ever complete gramophone recording of a full scale classical work," namely the Beethoven 5th under Nikisch from 1913. Under his letter the Editor writes "We'll be marking this important anniversary in our September issue."

Well, I wonder what they'll do in September when they find that You Tube has an even earlier recording, complete with first movement repeat, conducted by Friedrich Kark in 1910. It was uploaded onto You Tube nearly a year ago but despite the archaic sound is well worth a listen ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjqybFAGGcs

Talking of symphonies, also on You Tube is one that's not been recorded at all yet, though it had its first broadcast a few weeks ago. It's an early student piece, lasting about 15 minutes, and is the 'Symphony' by Leopold Stokowski. I wonder who'll make the first recording of that ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXr2R5OsMh0