Julia Cload

Frank Berger

Jan 17, 2022, 5:37:52 PM1/17/22
I've ordered 4 volumes of Julia Cload Haydn Sonatas from Meridian. There appears to be no documentation of when these were recorded, and I suspect Meridian will not provide the information (I've asked them about other recordings and they've not been cooperative). I've searched the Web and come up empty. So if anyone knows, I would appreciate the information. TIA.

Dan Koren

Jan 17, 2022, 11:02:32 PM1/17/22
On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 2:37:52 PM UTC-8, Frank Berger wrote:

> I've ordered 4 volumes of Julia Cload
> Haydn Sonatas from Meridian.

Why didn't you order Derzhavina?

dk

Frank Berger

Jan 18, 2022, 9:28:33 AM1/18/22
When did you stop beating your wife?

Dan Koren

Jan 18, 2022, 2:43:57 PM1/18/22
On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 6:28:33 AM UTC-8, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 1/17/2022 11:02 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
> > On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 2:37:52 PM UTC-8, Frank Berger wrote:
> >>
> >> I've ordered 4 volumes of Julia Cload
> >> Haydn Sonatas from Meridian.
> >
> > Why didn't you order Derzhavina?
>
> When did you stop beating your wife?

After hearing Derzhavina....

dk

Frank Berger

Jan 18, 2022, 3:18:19 PM1/18/22
Timofeyeva is the set I want. I know they are on YouTube.

Dan Koren

Jan 18, 2022, 3:42:00 PM1/18/22
On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 12:18:19 PM UTC-8, Frank Berger wrote:

> Timofeyeva is the set I want.
> I ​know they are on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQdSUYrXuAg
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yCFP79P7Gg

Also Derzhavina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrdUrBgKWpI&list=PLr0MsaDpKsY-Yirmc3joRopd8y05sUrnk

They are both terrific, however
Derzhavina includes additional
works, and has the advantage
of not being all in a single file.

Use youtube-dl to download. It
can handle playlists.

https://youtube-dl.org/

dk

Frank Berger

Jan 18, 2022, 4:22:35 PM1/18/22
At this is state in my life, I don't think I want to deal with command line executables with zillions of options.

For what I spend on CDs I could probably hire an IT guy. Just kidding. Maybe,

I am perfectly happy to buy the Derzhavina CDs, should I decide I want them.

There was a Venezia CD box of Timofeyeva's complete Haydn sonatas, but I've never seen one offered for sale.

I dislike downloading, but occasionally do. Usually then I burn to CD. Stupid, I know.

Dan Koren

Jan 18, 2022, 4:42:36 PM1/18/22
On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 1:22:35 PM UTC-8, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 1/18/2022 3:41 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
> >
> > Use youtube-dl to download. It
> > can handle playlists.
> >
> > https://youtube-dl.org/
>
> At this is state in my life, I don't think I
> want to deal with command line executables
> with zillions of options. I dislike downloading,
> but occasionally do. Usually then I burn to CD.

If you don't like to deal with command
line utilities the 4k YouTube downloader
is for you: https://www.4kdownload.com.

It downloads both video and audio, and
can extract audio in multiple formats
from videos. This is what I use. There
is also a sibling MP3 downloader:

https://www.4kdownload.com/downloads#videodownloader
https://www.4kdownload.com/downloads#youtubetomp3

BTW the smart thing to do with multiple
CD sets is to burn them to single DVDs
or BDs. It saves space! ;-)

No need to hire IT guys. ;-)

dk

Ricardo Jimenez

Jan 18, 2022, 4:44:32 PM1/18/22
I was able to get the complete Timofeyeva set from Japan a number of
years ago. There are 9 individual Haydn sonata discs by Bavouzet on
Spotify. Does anybody know offhand if that is a complete set? I
tossed the Cload discs I had, not competitive IMHO.

Dan Koren

Jan 18, 2022, 4:49:05 PM1/18/22
Isn't she a fine English pianist?
Oy vey!

dk

Frank Berger

Jan 18, 2022, 6:41:04 PM1/18/22
How much do I owe you?

Frank Berger

Jan 18, 2022, 6:41:45 PM1/18/22
On 1/18/2022 4:44 PM, Ricardo Jimenez wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 15:18:10 -0500, Frank Berger
> <frankd...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> After hearing Derzhavina....
>>>
>>> dk
>>
>> Timofeyeva is the set I want. I know they are on YouTube.
>
> I was able to get the complete Timofeyeva set from Japan a number of
> years ago.

Key phrase: "A couple of years ago."

Dan Koren

Jan 19, 2022, 12:45:40 AM1/19/22
> How much do I owe you?

Nothing. I am not an IT guy!

dk

AB

Jan 19, 2022, 1:57:16 PM1/19/22
Derz. sounds a lot better more musical, better piano

AB

Owen

Jan 19, 2022, 2:34:11 PM1/19/22
Best Newsgroup Response for 2022 so far!

-Owen

Dan Koren

Jan 19, 2022, 2:41:57 PM1/19/22
On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 4:44:32 PM UTC-5, Ricardo Jimenez wrote:

> There are 9 individual Haydn sonata
> discs by Bavouzet on Spotify. Does
> anybody know offhand if that is a
> complete set?

I haven't checked. Note however that
Derzhavina's set of Haydn's complete
piano works fits on 9 CDs, so it is quite
likely Bavouzet's 9 CDs set includes all
the sonatas, if nothing more than that.

dk

Ricardo Jimenez

Jan 19, 2022, 7:50:08 PM1/19/22
The 9 disc Derzhavina set has 5 short non sonata works to fill out
disc 9. She also came out with a 2019 two disc set of Haydn,
Variations & Pieces. All excellent but I think Bavouzet is at least
as good. Only extra on Bavouzet is the piccolo divertimento in F
minor on disc 4.

Dan Koren

Jan 19, 2022, 8:03:58 PM1/19/22
On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 7:50:08 PM UTC-5, Ricardo Jimenez wrote:

> I think Bavouzet is at least as good.

Not even close. Randomly picking Sonata no. 35,
here's Bavouzet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plJau1L0OaA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u_fP7-Rj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8oUYz43igg

And here's Derzhavina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNvZhTVc5Bk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PmLn0TyNmw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=betkrYbVroQ

They are not even from the same planet!

dk

Frank Berger

Jan 19, 2022, 8:13:08 PM1/19/22
And the Bavouzet set will cost over 3 times the Derzhavina!

Ricardo Jimenez

Jan 19, 2022, 8:29:09 PM1/19/22
Not for those of us who listen to both sets on Spotify. Except for
Hyperion and sone really rare stuff on Broinc, I have stopped buying
CDs. I need the room for my DVDs/Blu-rays.

Dan Koren

Jan 19, 2022, 8:39:25 PM1/19/22
> And the Bavouzet set will cost over 3 times
> Derzhavina!

French luxury!

It doesn't take more than a few minutes for
anyone with a reasonable understanding of
piano playing to recognize Bavouzet is not
"competitive".

dk

HT

Jan 20, 2022, 4:12:12 AM1/20/22
Op donderdag 20 januari 2022 om 01:50:08 UTC+1 schreef Ricardo Jimenez:
Seconded. I like Derzhavina in the Russian repertoire but prefer Bavouzet's Haydn.

Henk

Dan Koren

Jan 20, 2022, 4:14:28 AM1/20/22
On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 4:12:12 AM UTC-5, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote:
> Op donderdag 20 januari 2022 om 01:50:08 UTC+1 schreef Ricardo Jimenez:
> > On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 11:41:54 -0800 (PST), Dan Koren
> > <dan....@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >I haven't checked. Note however that
> > >Derzhavina's set of Haydn's complete
> > >piano works fits on 9 CDs, so it is quite
> > >likely Bavouzet's 9 CDs set includes all
> > >the sonatas, if nothing more than that.
> >
> > The 9 disc Derzhavina set has 5 short
> > non sonata works to fill out disc 9. She
> > also came out with a 2019 two disc set
> > of Haydn, Variations & Pieces. All excellent
> > but I think Bavouzet is at least as good.
> > Only extra on Bavouzet is the piccolo
> > divertimento in F minor on disc 4.
>
> Seconded. I like Derzhavina in the Russian
> repertoire but prefer Bavouzet's Haydn.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

dk

Ricardo Jimenez

Jan 20, 2022, 9:53:39 AM1/20/22
On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 01:14:25 -0800 (PST), Dan Koren
Dan picked an example where Deszhavina made the music more quirky and
interesting. I don't spend time making individual comparisons. If a
set as a whole is enjoyable, I recommend it. I own more Haydn piano
sonata recordings than any other piano works,Timofeyeva, Hamelin, Ax,
Reisenberg, etc and enjoy them all. But I found Cloud uniformly dull
and acted accordingly. I never pass up an opportunity to listen to
new versions on Spotify but trying to decide who is better in any
particular sonata is not for me.

Dan Koren

Jan 20, 2022, 3:21:41 PM1/20/22
> Dan picked an example where Deszhavina
> made the music more quirky and interesting.

No, she didn't. THAT IS THE MUSIC !!!!!

> I don't spend time making individual comparisons.

One's ears do it automatically, regardless
of what one thinks one might be doing or
not.

> If a set as a whole is enjoyable, I recommend it.

Returning to LTMSFI? One had thought that
cancer had been overcome and eliminated!

> I own more Haydn piano sonata recordings
> than any other piano works,

Quantity over quality?

> Timofeyeva, Hamelin, Ax, Reisenberg,
> etc and enjoy them all.

Just give them the Ax!

> But I found Cloud uniformly dull and
> acted accordingly. I never pass up an
> opportunity to listen to new versions
> on Spotify but trying to decide who is
> better in any particular sonata is not
> for me.

And your ears don't notice differences
in interpretation unless you listen with
a manifest purpose?

dk