Jacques Loussier, anyone?

Ed Dorroh

Mar 26, 1995, 10:41:40 PM3/26/95
In article <ckross-2203...@ckross.pr.mcs.net>, ckr...@mcs.com
(Chuck Ross) wrote:

> Having long been a fan of "jazzed up Bach", I have been familiar with
> several groups that do this sort of thing very well, including probably
> the first, "The Swingle Singers" (tho I wouldn't swear they _were_ the
> first), but there is another...the Jacques Loussier Trio (and various
> other configurations over the years).
(snip)
> Wonder if anyone's heard this CD, or is familiar with the group, and if
> so, what are your thoughts? Anything else available on CD from him?

Agree - He is fantastic! There are actually a number of CDs out. I have
only one, "the Best of Play Bach" on Chrysalis but if you can't find a
complete list (say from CD Connections), Email me - I have a friend (who
first exposed me to Loussier) with several thousand CDs who will probably
know of the rest of them. I am also with you on the Swingle Singers.
Again, I only have one CD - "Anyone for Mozart, Bach, Handel, Vivaldi?"
on Phillips, but I have tapes of several others. Ed

--
Ed Dorroh
Martin Marietta Corp

Jim Clow

Mar 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/31/95
In article <muskettD...@netcom.com> mus...@netcom.com (Bill Muskett) writes:
>Chuck Ross (ckr...@mcs.com) wrote:
>[snip]
>: I became familiar with Loussier about 20 years ago when I heard some of
>: his stuff played on a local FM station, then ran out to buy a couple of
>: his LPs.
>[.... snip some more ...]

My first experience with the trio was on a London Phase IV cutout I
picked up about 10 years ago. I've kept my eyes open for more
recordings and found a CD from Columbia House not too long ago:

Best of Play Bach, Chrysalis VK41561

The LP cutout which got me interested had the following works:
Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 with the trio and the Royal PO;
Étude pour trio (Loussier composition)

I understand there was at least one other Brandenburg, No. 5 possibly,
in the Phase IV series.

Jim Clow
San Diego

gggg gggg

Jan 16, 2022, 2:15:20 AM1/16/22
(Y. upload):

Great Recordings Pt.2 - Jacques Loussier