The Nutcracker, what's best to buy?

D. Petrescu

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any amount
for it so it doesn't matter if it's a very expensive CD. Anyway I would
appreciate it if anybody would suggest something worth my attention. I have
a couple recordings of the suite which are nice but I want the whole
thing...

Dan

Paul Goldstein

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98

I find the complete Nutcracker so enchanting that I don't think I have
ever heard a recording that I thought was bad. If I had to choose one,
my choice would be driven more by sound quality and price than sheer
musical merit. The Mackerras set on Telarc seems to me to be a solid
choice, since it is superbly played and recorded. But my favorite
overall is probably the Rodzinski formerly on Westminster, then on MCA
CDs (which may be available very cheaply from Berkshire Record Outlet
and/or your local cutout bin).

David S. Phipps

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
Dutoit/Montreal is a great recording which also includes part of Sleeping
Beauty. Excellent notes as well.

Matty Silverstein

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
D. Petrescu wrote in message <01bdd784$c2882880$5d63a7d1@petrescu>...
>What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any amount
>for it so it doesn't matter if it's a very expensive CD. Anyway I would
>appreciate it if anybody would suggest something worth my attention. I have
>a couple recordings of the suite which are nice but I want the whole
>thing...

Well, if you're willing to pay *any* amount, than I had a really great
recording that I'd be willing to see along with some swampland in Florida .
. .

Matty

Donald Patterson

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
Paul Goldstein wrote:

> D. Petrescu wrote:
> >
> > What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any amount
> > for it so it doesn't matter if it's a very expensive CD. Anyway I would
> > appreciate it if anybody would suggest something worth my attention. I have
> > a couple recordings of the suite which are nice but I want the whole
> > thing...
> >
> > Dan
>
> I find the complete Nutcracker so enchanting that I don't think I have
> ever heard a recording that I thought was bad. If I had to choose one,
> my choice would be driven more by sound quality and price than sheer
> musical merit. The Mackerras set on Telarc seems to me to be a solid
> choice, since it is superbly played and recorded. But my favorite
> overall is probably the Rodzinski formerly on Westminster, then on MCA
> CDs (which may be available very cheaply from Berkshire Record Outlet
> and/or your local cutout bin).

Careful. I fully agree on the merits of the Rodzinski set, but I must
point out that the sound is dry and hard, and some of the woodwind and
brass playing are not very attractive (particularly the "fingernails-on-
the-chalk-board oboe). If only one is wanted, I think the sound is
important in the magical effect this score. The Mackerras is an
excellent choice. Also Jansons/Oslo on EMI.

For something cheaper, go for Dorati/ACO on Philips Duo. At any
price, it is one of the best ever. Dorati was a natural when it
came to Tchaikovsky and his reading never bogs down. It is always
light and fresh and magical.

--

Don

)**********************************************(
)* Don Patterson *(
)* Asst. Principal Trombonist *(
)* "The President's Own" *(
)* United States Marine Band *(
)* don...@erols.com *(
)**********************************************(

http://www.marineband.hqmc.usmc.mil

)**********************************************(
)* DCP Music Printing *(
)* Professional Computer Music Typeset *(
)* Music Arrangements *(
)* don...@erols.com *(
)**********************************************(

The views expressed are my own and in no way
reflect those of "The President's Own" United
States Marine Band or the United States Marine Corps.

Piotr Kaminski

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
D. Petrescu a écrit:

> What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any amount
> for it so it doesn't matter if it's a very expensive CD. Anyway I would
> appreciate it if anybody would suggest something worth my attention. I have
> a couple recordings of the suite which are nice but I want the whole
> thing...

In fact, there are two 'bests', and a confrontation with all the others makes
it very plain : both are by Dorati, one with th LSO on Mercury, the other with
Concertgebouw on Philips/Duo. The second one should be cheaper, and is a
sensational bargain, since the excerpts of Swan Lake with Fistoulari included
are also enchanting. If you love the piece, you cannot go without two Suites :
the 'traditional' one with Reiner/Chicago, and the 'personal' one with
Mravinsky/Philips. With these three (or four), you're ready for winter.

PK

Piotr Kaminski

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
Piotr Kaminski a écrit:

The Fistoulari is, of course, The Sleeping Beauty. Sorry.

PK

Serge Fourcade

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
Le Fri, 04 Sep 1998 08:41:11 GMT, ne...@thump.org (Neil ) écrit:

>On 3 Sep 98 21:40:16 GMT, "D. Petrescu" <bi...@myna.com> wrote:
>
>>What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any amount
>>for it so it doesn't matter if it's a very expensive CD.
>

>For my money Dorati/ Concertgbouw sweep the board. And its on a philiips toofer
>to boot. !

I also have Dorati/Concertgebouw and find it excellent .

Serge Fourcade

Jim Hill

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98

Piotr Kaminski wrote in message <35F0333E...@imaginet.fr>...
>D. Petrescu a écrit:

>> What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any
amount
IMHO It really doesn't make any difference who or what you buy. Most
orchestral musicians sleep through the Nutcracker or are at least on
autopilot. Any precived differences between conductor X or Y or orchestra A
or B or in the eye of the beholder. I would recommend a trip to K-Mart and
brousing their cuttout bins. Don't try to spend more than U.S. $5 for a 2
CD set of the complete ballet. My favorite is with the South Slavic
Peasants Orchestra & Orphans Choir conducted by Igor Putz on the Musical
Gems label.

Daniel Kravetz

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
to D. Petrescu
On 3 Sep 1998, D. Petrescu wrote:

> What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any amount

> for it so it doesn't matter if it's a very expensive CD. Anyway I would
> appreciate it if anybody would suggest something worth my attention. I have
> a couple recordings of the suite which are nice but I want the whole
> thing...

The best complete recording of NUTCRACKER is the 1956 Westminster stereo
recording by Artur Rodzinski and the Royal Philharmonic. It has been
issued on an MCA Milennium 2-CD set.

MRPERMAN

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
>The best complete recording of NUTCRACKER is the 1956 Westminster stereo
>recording by Artur Rodzinski and the Royal Philharmonic. It has been
>issued on an MCA Milennium 2-CD set.

Is this a new Millennium reissue? Since Americans are completely in the cold
re Millennium, it's tough to keep track of new releases. Very brain-dead of
Calif.-based MCA to not distribute here.

I would highly recommend Ashkenazy/RPO on London/Decca, coupled with Glazunov's
The Seasons.

Marc Perman

Sacqueboutier

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
Daniel Kravetz wrote:

> On 3 Sep 1998, D. Petrescu wrote:
>
> > What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any amount
> > for it so it doesn't matter if it's a very expensive CD. Anyway I would
> > appreciate it if anybody would suggest something worth my attention. I have
> > a couple recordings of the suite which are nice but I want the whole
> > thing...
> >
> The best complete recording of NUTCRACKER is the 1956 Westminster stereo
> recording by Artur Rodzinski and the Royal Philharmonic. It has been
> issued on an MCA Milennium 2-CD set.

Be warned, thought, that as wonderful as Rodzinski's reading is, this
set
boasts dry, brittle sound and some rather unattractive wind playing.
This
set belongs in your collection if you truly love the ballet, but if you
are
going to have only one recording to enjoy during the holidays, I
recommend Dorati on Philips, Mackerras on RCA (?) (used in the sound
track
of Barishnikov's Nutcracker video?), Jansons on EMI, Ashkenazy on
London/Decca, or Dorati on Mercury.

Byrnefp

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
I must second the recommendation for Dorati's as the complete one to have, but
have great admiration for Reiner's suite which is on Living Stereo along with
Gilels doing the Tch 1st PC. The Reiner suite has some of the CSO's most
glorious and stylish playing. Personally, I would not want to be without
either one.

Frank

JTHANSFORD

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
>What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker.

I picked up a 2-CD London Weekend Classics set a few months ago with Ansermet
conducting the L'OSR. The music-making is finer than any other version I have
heard. The sound is very good early stereo. I don't know if this set is
widely available but it is worth getting if you see it.
Joe Hansford
Houston,TX

Neil

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
On Sat, 5 Sep 1998 21:23:54 -0500, "Jim Hill" <jth...@microlink.net> wrote:

>>> What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any
>amount

>IMHO It really doesn't make any difference who or what you buy. Most
>orchestral musicians sleep through the Nutcracker or are at least on
>autopilot.

perhaps you would like to discuss this theory with the concergebouw !!! Their
recording with Dorati is about as far from sleepy as you could imagine.

Besides i think you are talking nonsense. The RSNO played 2 weeks of nutscracker
about 4 edinburgh festivals ago, for mark morris and also the miami ballet:
they loved it and played with great charm and fun (even after 2 weeks).
orchestras rarely get the chance to play complete ballet scores.

The tradition of the ballet "suite" IMHO should be nuked. Its a great diservice
to lovely music.
Neil (at home) |http://www.thump.org
ne...@thump.org |Furtwaengler, Sokolov, GH Gould, links
** AOL Instant Messenger Screen Name - "imheifetz" **

Thomas J Wood

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98

JTHANSFORD wrote in message
<199809071817...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>>What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker.
>
>I picked up a 2-CD London Weekend Classics set a few months ago with
Ansermet
>conducting the L'OSR. The music-making is finer than any other version I
have
>heard. The sound is very good early stereo. I don't know if this set is
>widely available but it is worth getting if you see it.

This is my reference recording for the Nutcracker. It isn't the best-played
technically or the best-recorded, but it has plenty of what many other
recordings lack: atmosphere, perfume, spirit, magic.

Tom Wood

PAP

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Serge Fourcade wrote:

> Le Fri, 04 Sep 1998 08:41:11 GMT, ne...@thump.org (Neil ) écrit:
>
> >On 3 Sep 98 21:40:16 GMT, "D. Petrescu" <bi...@myna.com> wrote:
> >
> >>What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any amount
> >>for it so it doesn't matter if it's a very expensive CD.
> >
> >For my money Dorati/ Concertgbouw sweep the board. And its on a philiips toofer
> >to boot. !
>
> I also have Dorati/Concertgebouw and find it excellent .
>
> Serge Fourcade

Yes! The Dorati/Concertgebouw Orchestra is superb. Get the Dorati
on Mercury Recording with the London Symphony, a second choice the older
of the two Dorati Nutcracker's

Pierre Paquin

Michael Weston

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
JTHANSFORD <jthan...@aol.com> wrote:
: I picked up a 2-CD London Weekend Classics set a few months ago with Ansermet

: conducting the L'OSR. The music-making is finer than any other version I have
: heard. The sound is very good early stereo. I don't know if this set is
: widely available but it is worth getting if you see it.
: Joe Hansford

I would be afraid to hear these disks, because I have been disappointed
with the way many Ansermet recordings turned out in their remastered. Dry
and brittle sounds like the Ravel cd's I had and got rid of, so bad was
the sound.

The LPs of Ansermet's Nutcracker sound wonderful, and they've got a great
cover. Whatever the technical drawbacks of this orchesta, these
performances have ample charm.

michael

Raymond Hall

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Michael Weston wrote in message <6t563k$irf$1...@supernews.com>...

Thanks Michael for alerting me to Ansermet's transfers to CD. I had the
Ravel works on LP and reckoned they were superb performances. What the heck
are they doing? Is there any chance there have been different
re-incarnations of the remasterings on CD?

| Ray Hall: < hallr...@bigpond.com >
| Only my dogs really know the high notes - and they
| remain peacefully a'snoozin .......... /(-^-)\
| ~*~

Jim Logan

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
On Wed, 09 Sep 1998 00:30:44 -0500, PAP <ppa...@capecod.net> wrote:

>> >For my money Dorati/ Concertgbouw sweep the board. And its on a philiips toofer
>> >to boot. !
>>
>> I also have Dorati/Concertgebouw and find it excellent .
>>
>> Serge Fourcade
>

>Yes! The Dorati/Concertgebouw Orchestra is superb. Get the Dorati
>on Mercury Recording with the London Symphony, a second choice the older
>of the two Dorati Nutcracker's
>

>Pierre Paquin

What about the earlier Minneapolis/Dorati on Mercury (mono); or was
that just Swan Lake? I thought he recorded all three Tchaikovsky
Ballets!

Jim Logan
jiml...@melbpc.0rg.au

aaro...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2013, 12:27:24 AM11/2/13
I went looking for a new Nutcracker for the holidays (my first version is Previn's Nutcracker/Swan Lake/Sleeping Beauty set on EMI) and dug up this thread where everyone raves about the Dorati/Concertgebouw. Here it is as an Amazon download for $7.99 (title: 300 Minutes of Tchaikovsky), bundled with various other pieces, including:

1812 Overture (Salonen/Bavarian Radio SO)
Piano Concerto 1 (Jablonski/Maag/Philharmonia)
Romeo and Juliette (Mehta/LA Philharmonic)
Symphony No 5 (Mehta/LA)
Violin Concerto (Campoli/Argenta/LSO)
Entracte from Eugene Onegin (Bychkov/Berliner)
Selections from Swan Lake (Mehta/Israel PO)
Symphony No, 6 (Maazel/Wiener)
Nutcracker (complete) (Dorati/RC)
Nocturne Op. 19 No. 4 (Helen Callus/Philip Bush)

The Nutcracker alone is worth the price, the rest is just gravy to add to my growing collection of Piano Concerto 1s and Symphony 6s.

-P

music...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2013, 4:03:49 AM11/2/13
On Wednesday, September 2, 1998 9:00:00 PM UTC-10, Paul Goldstein wrote:
> D. Petrescu wrote:
> >
> > What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any amount
> > for it so it doesn't matter if it's a very expensive CD. Anyway I would
> > appreciate it if anybody would suggest something worth my attention. I have
> > a couple recordings of the suite which are nice but I want the whole
> > thing...
> >
> > Dan
>
> I find the complete Nutcracker so enchanting that I don't think I have
> ever heard a recording that I thought was bad. If I had to choose one,
> my choice would be driven more by sound quality and price than sheer
> musical merit. The Mackerras set on Telarc seems to me to be a solid
> choice, since it is superbly played and recorded. But my favorite
> overall is probably the Rodzinski formerly on Westminster, then on MCA
> CDs (which may be available very cheaply from Berkshire Record Outlet
> and/or your local cutout bin).

There is a Mackerras WALTZ OF THE SNOWFLAKES on Youtube.

Kerrison

Nov 2, 2013, 7:42:51 PM11/2/13
On Thursday, September 3, 1998 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, D. Petrescu wrote:
> What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any amount
> for it so it doesn't matter if it's a very expensive CD. Anyway I would
> appreciate it if anybody would suggest something worth my attention. I have
> a couple recordings of the suite which are nice but I want the whole
> thing...
>
> Dan

You can't beat the single-CD (81 minutes) by the Kirov Orchestra under Valery Gergiev on Philips. Super sound and a brilliant complete performance on Philips, as this NYT review confirms ...

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/01/arts/music-making-the-nutcracker-symphonic.html

markm...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2013, 12:22:00 AM11/3/13
On Sunday, September 6, 1998 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Sacqueboutier wrote:
> Daniel Kravetz wrote:
> >
> > On 3 Sep 1998, D. Petrescu wrote:
> >
> > > What is THE best recording of the Nutcracker. I'm willing to pay any amount
> > > for it so it doesn't matter if it's a very expensive CD. Anyway I would
> > > appreciate it if anybody would suggest something worth my attention. I have
> > > a couple recordings of the suite which are nice but I want the whole
> > > thing...

Artur Rodzinski's son, Richard, is quoted somewhere saying that his Dad didn't like the stereo sound given to his Nutcracker because it had no depth, sounding as if the players were spread out in a line across the front of the stage.

Mark

Frank Berger

Nov 3, 2013, 1:17:41 AM11/3/13
I think there are any number of better Nutcrackers, starting with
Dorati's with the Concertgebouw. Lanchbery, too.

Herman

Nov 3, 2013, 3:00:32 AM11/3/13
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:17:41 AM UTC+1, Frank Berger wrote:

> > You can't beat the single-CD (81 minutes) by the Kirov Orchestra under Valery Gergiev on Philips. Super sound and a brilliant complete performance on Philips, as this NYT review confirms ...
>

> I think there are any number of better Nutcrackers, starting with
>
> Dorati's with the Concertgebouw. Lanchbery, too.

The Dorati and the Gergiev recordings complement each other in various ways, Gergiev for drive and demonism, Dorati for grace and beauty.

Alex Brown

Nov 3, 2013, 4:13:59 AM11/3/13
On Sunday, 3 November 2013 08:00:32 UTC, Herman wrote:

> The Dorati and the Gergiev recordings complement each other in various
> ways, Gergiev for drive and demonism, Dorati for grace and beauty.

Yes! Another very fine one (perhaps interpretively somewhere between the above two?) is with the London SO and Mackerras on Telarc - beautifully played in a spectacular natural-sounding recording.
Message has been deleted

L .K

Sep 27, 2022, 7:13:28 AM9/27/22
On Thursday, September 3, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Matty Silverstein wrote:

> Well, if you're willing to pay *any* amount, than I had a really great
> recording that I'd be willing to see along with some swampland in Florida .
> . .
> Matty

I hope after over 2 decades you've grown out of your idiocy