New Recording of Furtwangler Symphony Reviewed

Phil Garon

Aug 25, 2002, 3:32:22 PM8/25/02
In today's New York Times, David Schiff reviews Daniel Barenboim's new
recording of the Furtwangler 2nd Symphony -- about which he is not too
enthusiastic. See:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/25/arts/music/25SCHI.html

Also in the Times' Sunday Arts section, the *real* Anthony Tommasini
has an article about new developments that are making classical music
less
"elitist" and more appealing to a younger audience of listeners and
viewers.

Registration is required on the Times Website.

pgaron

Juan I. Cahis

Aug 25, 2002, 6:14:55 PM8/25/02
Dear friends:

pga...@my-deja.com (Phil Garon) wrote:

>In today's New York Times, David Schiff reviews Daniel Barenboim's new
>recording of the Furtwangler 2nd Symphony -- about which he is not too
>enthusiastic. See:
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/25/arts/music/25SCHI.html

It is a *superb* recording of a *superb* 20th Century Symphony.

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Email: jic...@attglobal.net
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Johan Groenewald

Aug 29, 2002, 10:15:44 AM8/29/02
Juan I. Cahis <jic...@attglobal.net>

> It is a *superb* recording of a *superb* 20th Century Symphony.

Reminds me of an annecdote attributed to Klemperer. After a concert
someone enquired why Klemeperer conducted the old warhorse Dvorak 9
"From the New World." Klemperer replied something to the effect
"Rather an old symphony about the new world than a new symphony about
the old world."

Fred Maroth

Sep 6, 2002, 6:06:00 PM9/6/02
In case anyone is interested I noticed on the Music & Arts website the
following: (see http://www.musicandarts.com)

> [...]
>(Siegfried), Herbert Janssen (Gunther), Ludwig Weber (Hagen), Covent Garden
>Chorus, and London Philharmonic. (AAD) CD 1: 76:41. CD 2: 78:46. UPC #
>017685-10352-0.
>
>"The performances, without a doubt, belong in every Wagnerian¹s collection."
>‹Tom Illgen, In Tune
>
>"The sound is clear and undistorted, with well-defined bass and commendable
>response at the high end.
>...this is a splendid release‹really essential for all serious Wagnerians in
>view of the sheer excellence and total commitment of everyone involved. The
>ease with which Flagstsd produces her stunningly powerful, clear brilliant
>tones‹brilliant from top to bottom‹is beyond the reach of any Wagnerian
>soprano active today. Furtw¨angler was probably the best Wagner conductor.
>He is heard here at the very zenith of his powers, cajoling a rich,
>sonorous, delicately poised and balanced sound from Beecham¹s LPO..."
>‹John P. McKelevey, American Record Guide
>
>"Furtwängler¹s overwhelming gifts as a Wagnerian, lifting the music and us
>into another realm with his sheer energy and understanding, are further
>disclosed in extracts from his 1937 Ring at Covent Garden (Music & Arts CD
>1035), recorded by HMV at the time but never commercially issued. The whole
>of Walkure Act 3 survives, and confirms the weight, incandescence and sheer
>histrionic thrill of the conductor¹s reading, inspiring Beecham¹s LPO (in
>the Covent Garden pit at the time) to new heights of intensity. The young
>Flagstad sings with a matchlessly even, full tone and line that no Wagnerian
>soprano can produce today..." ‹Alan
>Blyth, Opera
>
>"...performances of overwhelming power and intensity. The Flagstad-Melchior
>combination was untouchable in Wagner, and Furtwangler was perhaps the
>greatest of all Wagner conductors. All are captured here in their prime,
>galvanized by a live audience to deliver singing and conducting of
>unsurpassable beauty and understanding. No Wagnerian or lover of great
>singing can afford to miss this." ‹Dan Davis,
>Amazon.com
>
>"Š[Flagstad¹s] voice is awe-inspiring. The Immolation Scene is a feast of
>full-throated, perfectly pitched singing. Or listen to the beautiful
>repeated Es as she pleads to Wotan. Furtwangler¹s speeds are fast by today¹s
>standards, but what dynamism, what intensity of line and dramatic
>expression." ‹David Cairns, London Times
>
>"These brilliant performances have been available before (the Walkure on
>Myto, Grammofono 2000, Acanta and Pallette CDs, and the Gotterdammerung on
>Acanta and Pallette Cds.) I have directly compared the new M&A with the
>Myto, Grammofono 2000 and there is no question about the new release¹s
>significant superiorityŠ.Maggie Payne, who has done M&A¹s most consistently
>good transfer work, has made a miracle of clarity and openness here. Even if
>have these performances in older versions, if you treasure them you will

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 6, 2002, 6:27:49 PM9/6/02
Fred Maroth <mar...@musicandarts.com> wrote in

> In case anyone is interested I noticed on the Music & Arts website the
> following: (see http://www.musicandarts.com)

I ordered the new Schnabel (and a couple of catalogue items) on 20 August.
My plastic has already been charged. I'm still awaiting shipment. :--(

Top 3 worst UK exports: Mad-cow; Foot-and-mouth; Charlotte Church