du Pre plays Elgar Concerto live, 1968 this Sunday

Bozo

Oct 20, 2017, 5:34:43 PM10/20/17
I found this info at another site, have not verified myself, but FWWFYI:

"This Sunday, 22 October, BBC Four is broadcasting an ultra-rare and historic film, of Jacqueline du Pre performing the Dvorak Cello Concerto. A live relay from the Royal Albert Hall, on September 2, 1968, this film was considered lost for over 30 years, until it was rediscovered last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09bdyg1
BBC FOUR
Sunday 22 October 2017
23:50
Jacqueline du Pre Plays Dvorak's Cello Concerto

Apparently from BBC: " Only recently re-discovered, a performance of Dvorak's Cello Concerto filmed in August 1968 by Jacqueline du Pre at the very height of her musical powers. The Dvorak Cello Concerto is a work du Pre particularly loved, and this rare recording, which was believed to have been lost, hasn't been seen in over 30 years.The hastily organised concert at London's Royal Albert Hall was staged and conducted by du Pre's husband Daniel Barenboim, in tribute to the people of Czechoslovakia, just a few days after the country had been invaded by the Soviet Union.Daniel Barenboim: "It was an unforgettable concert and I cannot tell you how happy, how thrilled I am that the video of this concert still exists. Jacqueline du Pre had a very, very special relationship with the Dvorak Cello Concerto, and simply adored playing it.".

Paul

Oct 21, 2017, 10:35:15 AM10/21/17
It must have been a good month for Dvorak-lovers in London. Rostropovich had played the exact same concerto on the evening of the Soviet invasion (21st August)!

Alan Dawes

Oct 24, 2017, 5:41:43 AM10/24/17
In article <5da7352e-6a1f-4b4a...@googlegroups.com>,
I was there. Recently I found the programme for the prom I attended on 21
August 1968 with the demo about the Russia invasion of Czechoslovakia that
day. It was the USSR State Symphony Orchestra conducted by Evgeny
Svetlanov with Rostropovich playing the Dvorak Cello Concerto. The other
items were Ruslan and Ludmilla Overture and Shostakovich 10th. The
orchestra was over here for a couple of weeks and I also went to their
concerts on 22nd and 29th August. Sadly I cannot find my diary where I
wrote down my impressions of the "event" although there was a vocal
protest at the start it quickly quietened down.

Alan

--
alan....@argonet.co.uk
alan....@riscos.org

mo...@cloud9.net

Oct 24, 2017, 3:51:03 PM10/24/17

I have a BBC CD of that historic concert with Slava, who played with tears in his eyes. It was quite touching.

Mort Linder

gggg gggg

Dec 17, 2021, 2:46:27 AM12/17/21
According to this recent article:

- Cellist Jacqueline du Pré’s recording of the Elgar cello concerto is something of a phenomenon that aspiring artists reference and try to emulate.

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2021/10/column-comparing-classical-music-recordings-reveals-vibrant-variety

gggg gggg

Jan 16, 2022, 2:13:17 AM1/16/22
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 11:34:43 AM UTC-10, Bozo wrote:
(Y. upload):

Great Recordings - Jacqueline Du Pré, Elgar Cello Concerto