Frauenliebe und Leben - favourites?

Andy Evans

Aug 11, 2019, 5:07:35 AM8/11/19
Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.

So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?

Message has been deleted

gggg...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2019, 5:41:59 AM8/11/19
On Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 11:07:35 PM UTC-10, Andy Evans wrote:
> Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
>
> So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?

Each of the following has made a recording of it:

Stader
Ameling
Della Casa

Alan Dawes

Aug 11, 2019, 5:44:14 AM8/11/19
In article <3bff7746-c114-4486...@googlegroups.com>,
Janet Baker - her first recording accompanied by Martin Isepp. Recorded in
1966 by SAGA when I was a teenager and just off to university having been
bowled over by her - standing at the front of the arena at the proms in
London. I bought the original LP and about 15 years ago I got the REGIS CD
release in better sound. There are later recordings which sound better
which are all very good but I still prefer that earlier version. Here is a
link to the music web review which mentions her transposing but it doesn't
effect my opinion.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2005/Nov05/Janet_Baker_RRC1225.htm

Alan

--
alan....@argonet.co.uk
alan....@riscos.org

gggg...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2019, 5:53:34 AM8/11/19

Andy Evans

Aug 11, 2019, 6:05:31 AM8/11/19
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p03p435v BBC Record Review

I'm going through some Youtube versions - most are there but not Persson or Banse which are both nice, or Stader who I don't know.

So far on YT liking Von Otter, Kozena live (wow), Fassbaender, Fink, Della Casa, Bonney, Connolly, Auger, Popp, Lott, Seefried, Behrens, Price (M and L), Mathis, Roschmann and Ameling. I've just listened to the first 2 songs, so plenty more listening to come.

gggg...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2019, 6:10:10 AM8/11/19

Mandryka

Aug 11, 2019, 6:14:53 AM8/11/19
On Sunday, 11 August 2019 10:07:35 UTC+1, Andy Evans wrote:
> Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
>
> So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?

I saw Loraine Hunt Lieberson sing this and it was a good night out.

Andy Evans

Aug 11, 2019, 6:29:12 AM8/11/19
> I saw Loraine Hunt Lieberson sing this and it was a good night out.

I really should go to more live concerts - I'll see what lieder's about in London.

wkasimer

Aug 11, 2019, 11:40:57 AM8/11/19
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 5:07:35 AM UTC-4, Andy Evans wrote:

> So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?

Barbara Bonney
Sena Jurinac
Anne Sofie von Otter
Brigitte Fassbaender

Randy Lane

Aug 11, 2019, 12:40:20 PM8/11/19
Ameling/Baldwin
Lehmann/Walter

Lawrence Kart

Aug 11, 2019, 12:57:04 PM8/11/19
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 4:07:35 AM UTC-5, Andy Evans wrote:
> Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
>
> So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?

Mathis; the partnership between her and her accompanist, Eschenbach, is ideal.

Frank Berger

Aug 11, 2019, 12:57:40 PM8/11/19
On 8/11/2019 12:40 PM, Randy Lane wrote:
> Ameling/Baldwin
> Lehmann/Walter

I love Ameling though she may be a little to laid back for Frauenliebe,

Are there any terrible recordings?

JohnGavin

Aug 11, 2019, 1:10:24 PM8/11/19
Always an Ameling fan —- no mention of Schwarzkopf. I have never heard it.

Mandryka

Aug 11, 2019, 1:12:39 PM8/11/19
Has anyone got a recording of a man singing it? Matthias Goerne did it, I'd like to have heard that. Here he is talking about it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/opera/3651564/I-understand-how-to-be-a-woman.html

gggg...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2019, 1:40:02 PM8/11/19

number_six

Aug 11, 2019, 7:46:51 PM8/11/19
It's also on disk 2 of a 4-CD Christa Ludwig box on EMI -- listening to her now

music lover

Aug 12, 2019, 12:07:56 AM8/12/19
Have not listened for a number of years but Kathleen Ferrier I recall as very moving.

Andy Evans

Aug 12, 2019, 6:12:33 AM8/12/19
I'm a fan of Magdalena Kozena in this - it's on Youtube. No dates unless maybe it's in Japanese?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izvKWlKuCSg&list=PL-0Qm7yk-4UOClNhGd4hC92GmPuMNWZAI

Kozena seems to have been stuck in Handel/Mozart and that era for a lot of her career - not sure why. She has sung Mahler, Carmen and Kat'a Kabanova though. She used to be married to a French singer, so she may have some familiarity with French though she was miscast in L'enfant et les sortilèges with Rattle.

I've also been enjoying Bernarda Finck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnI0plmvY0w

drh8h

Sep 10, 2019, 8:44:23 AM9/10/19
If anyone from Universal is listening, we appreciate the recent Haefliger box. Now, how about something for Stader?

DH

gggg...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2019, 1:40:02 PM9/10/19

Frank Berger

Sep 10, 2019, 2:26:45 PM9/10/19
The 5 Mozart Arias are included on Volume 2 of the "Westminster Legacy."

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8036728--westminster-legacy-the-collectors-edition-vol-2

gggg gggg

Apr 8, 2021, 9:50:17 AMApr 8
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 2:07:35 AM UTC-7, Andy Evans wrote:
> Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
>
> So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Apr/Schumann-Frauenliebe-survey.htm
Message has been deleted

Vanessa Lann

Apr 9, 2021, 2:51:33 AMApr 9
Anne Sofie von Otter, Bengt Forsberg (DG) - I've been commissioned to write a lied cyclus which goes along with the Schumann cycle in an evening-length production, so I really enjoy listening (over and over and over and over and over) to this recording while I create new stuff...

Op vrijdag 9 april 2021 om 01:52:30 UTC+2 schreef dan....@gmail.com:
> On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 2:07:35 AM UTC-7, Andy Evans wrote:
> > Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
> >
> > So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?
> Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi.
>
> dk

Christopher Howell

Apr 9, 2021, 8:34:11 AMApr 9
Il giorno venerdì 9 aprile 2021 alle 01:52:30 UTC+2 dan....@gmail.com ha scritto:
> On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 2:07:35 AM UTC-7, Andy Evans wrote:
> > Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
> >
> > So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?
> Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi.
>
> dk

In addition to the usual names:
Astra Desmond and Phyllis Spurr (Decca 1948, available on CHARM)
Elisabeth Grummer and Aribert Reimann (on a deleted Orfeo disc, but it seems to be on YouTube)

gggg gggg

Apr 13, 2021, 3:39:15 PMApr 13
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 2:07:35 AM UTC-7, Andy Evans wrote:
> Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
>
> So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/13/carolyn-sampson-joseph-middleton-clara-robert-schumann-frauenliebe-und-leben

gggg gggg

Apr 16, 2021, 11:17:38 PMApr 16

gggg gggg

Aug 1, 2021, 11:04:08 PMAug 1
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 2:07:35 AM UTC-7, Andy Evans wrote:
> Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
>
> So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?

(Recent Y. upload):

Elisabeth Schumann; "FRAUENLIEBE UND -LEBEN"; Robert Schumann