FURTWANGLER-COMPLETE DECCA AND DG RECORDINGS

RANDY WOLFGANG

May 28, 2020, 11:13:09 PM5/28/20
Reviewed in the current isue of Fanfare by Henry Fogel (who certainly knows more about the recordings of Furtwangler than anyone else I have read besides Ardoin). Unfortunately he finds the sound when compared to duplications in the Orfeo set and the set issued by the Berlin Philharmonic itself seriously wanting and that also includes private issues by Furtwangler Sound and Pristine. One would think the issuing company would have good results but after the mess EMI has made from many of their reissues I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

gggg gggg

Sep 17, 2021, 7:12:23 PM9/17/21
On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 8:13:09 PM UTC-7, meyers...@gmail.com wrote:
> Reviewed in the current isue of Fanfare by Henry Fogel (who certainly knows more about the recordings of Furtwangler than anyone else I have read besides Ardoin). Unfortunately he finds the sound when compared to duplications in the Orfeo set and the set issued by the Berlin Philharmonic itself seriously wanting and that also includes private issues by Furtwangler Sound and Pristine. One would think the issuing company would have good results but after the mess EMI has made from many of their reissues I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

(Recent Y. upload):

Review: Furtwängler's Tainted Decca Legacy

mswd...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2021, 7:40:01 PM9/17/21
On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 10:13:09 PM UTC-5, meyers...@gmail.com wrote:
> Reviewed in the current isue of Fanfare by Henry Fogel (who certainly knows more about the recordings of Furtwangler than anyone else I have read besides Ardoin). Unfortunately he finds the sound when compared to duplications in the Orfeo set and the set issued by the Berlin Philharmonic itself seriously wanting and that also includes private issues by Furtwangler Sound and Pristine. One would think the issuing company would have good results but after the mess EMI has made from many of their reissues I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

But setting your expectations of what Decca-Universal does based on EMI-Warner doesn't make much sense, does it?

Pristine has a Bruckner 4 that purports to be from the 22nd (Stuttgart), but it's the Munich performance from a week later. I hope that wasn't a reference.

arel64

Sep 19, 2021, 3:09:16 AM9/19/21
On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 7:13:09 AM UTC+4, meyers...@gmail.com wrote:
> Reviewed in the current isue of Fanfare by Henry Fogel (who certainly knows more about the recordings of Furtwangler than anyone else I have read besides Ardoin). Unfortunately he finds the sound when compared to duplications in the Orfeo set and the set issued by the Berlin Philharmonic itself seriously wanting and that also includes private issues by Furtwangler Sound and Pristine. One would think the issuing company would have good results but after the mess EMI has made from many of their reissues I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

The sound may be wanting but I do not trust Henry Fogel in this matter. He consistently extols the Pristine releases.

vhorowitz

Sep 19, 2021, 8:53:16 AM9/19/21
Yes, Henry Fogel is a wonderful advocate for many things we are interested in, but….he has no clue about remastering quality. And IMHO, if you prefer Pristine’s very-processed and scrubbed interventionism (imho) you are not going to be receptive to more honest representations of the original recordings . I don’t know how to say it more diplomatically.