WAYLTL - May, 2022

Al Eisner

May 21, 2022, 5:44:17 PM5/21/22
Beethoven duos and trios, on CDs:

1) Sonatas for Piano and Violin #7-9, Francescatti/Casadesus on Bidduloh.
[The front cover calls these "Violin Sonatas", and does not mention
a piano or pianists. The pianist's name is in small print on the
back cover, while the violinist's is in very large letters on both
front an back. I do think Francescatti is more of the star, but
that treatment goes a bit far!] The 1952 7 and 8 (especially 7(i))
are marred by booming bass sound; the 1949 Kreutzer sounds better.
Otherwise all enjoyable, especially the soaring violin work.

2) Andreas Staier (playing a Graf replica), Daniel Sepec and Jean-Guiben
Queyras, on Harmonia Mundi, playing piano and violin sonatas 4 and 7,
and piano trios 3 and 5 (plus an enjoyable trio by Hummel). I think
they do really well in the earlier work of each type. They seem less
effective in the more-romantic later works, apart from the suitably
ghostly largo of trio #5 (which, however, still doesn't match what
I list below).

3) The classic Suk Trio lineup in trios 3, 5 nd 7, on Supraphon. My first
hearing, but they live up to the high recommendations made by some in
rmcr. The "Archduke" is sublime; I cannot recall having heard any
performance I like more, or even as much. The set also includes the
Schubert #1.
--
Al Eisner

Al Eisner

May 21, 2022, 5:59:14 PM5/21/22
And along the same lines, the Geringas/Fountain complete LvB works
for cello and piano (including one I was unaware of, the composer's
arrangement of his Opus 3 string trio). A nice set. But that was
probably back in April, and I don't want to cheat. :)
--
Al Eisner

Lawrence Chalmers

May 22, 2022, 4:28:13 PM5/22/22
The Mitropoulos recordings from Sony, the recent box. So grateful to have these recordings available again.

number_six

May 22, 2022, 4:33:11 PM5/22/22
some non-CM listening --

VA - Panama 2 (Soundway)
a couple trax have too-abrupt fades, but overall a great collection
you can hear Azuquita's BOROMBON here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7U0GCIdK4

VA - Mali - One Day on Radio Mali (African Pearls)
some of this series have volume numbers, this one no
mix of folklore /pop, field /studio, 50s through 70s

Just received Killmayer chamber music on cpo

Dan Koren

May 22, 2022, 6:19:15 PM5/22/22
JAZZ .....

Tweaking the jazzolene mix so
my Audi can reach even higher
mph! ;-)

dk

James Goodzeit

May 23, 2022, 11:47:23 AM5/23/22
On Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 5:44:17 PM UTC-4, Al Eisner wrote:

Earlier this year I finished the Reiner box - wonderful, overall. A few years back someone said Reiner conducted Strauss like the soundtrack to a Hollywood blockbuster, but that couldn't be further from the truth, his approach to Strauss is close to chamber music, with the emphasis on clarity of the musical textures. There were a few duds. Only a few Baroque tracks in the collection, and his last recording of Haydn 95 and 101 were bloated (other Haydn and Mozart were good), the Rachmaninoff PC2 with Rubinstein was weak. His Russian showpieces (Nutcracker, 1812, Bald Mountain, etc.) were oddly mannered.

Schubert SQ's ## 12-14 with the Juilliard Quartet is OK. Play it well and interpretively solid, but can't help thinking the Juilliard is overrated - tone is scratchy, little nuance.

Sibelius Symphony #2. Listened to the Jarvi on BIS as mentioned in another thread, but then put on the March 1957 Ormandy, and holy fuck! that was good! The PO in all it's splendor plus Ormandy has such an affinity for the music. The whole structure was in place and in control, every moment was beautiful, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts!

Widor Organ Symphonies 3 and 6 by Hans Fagius on BIS. Here he plays a Swedish organ, which was destroyed in a fire shortly after the recording was made. He brings a lot of intensity to the work. I love Cavaille-Coll instruments, but alternatives are always interesting to my ears, especially the different textures and extra clarity.

Oscar

May 23, 2022, 2:37:21 PM5/23/22
On Monday, May 23, 2022 at 8:47:23 AM, james g wrote:

> Sibelius Symphony #2. Listened to the Jarvi on BIS as mentioned in another thread,
> but then put on the March 1957 Ormandy, and holy f__k! that was good!

Time to wash yr mouth out with soap. What would Harold Schonberg say?

Oscar

May 23, 2022, 2:46:47 PM5/23/22
Bach (J.S.): Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin, BWV 1001-06

Tedi Papavrami (vln, Christian Bayan, Lisbon, 2015; bow, Jean-Marie Persoit, Paris, c.1830)

alpha classics ALPHA 756 ℗ © 2021. 2CD.
Recorded at Arsenal, Cité-Musicale-Metz, October 2020.
Recording producer: Jean-Martial Golaz.
Design: Valérie LaGarde
Artwork: Aline Lugand-Gris Souris.

alpha classics
Director: Didier Martin.
Production: Louise Burel.
Editorial: Amélie Boccon-Gibod.

COMMENT: No vibrato and 'avoids leaning on bass notes'. Ascetic-sounding yet compelling and musical interpretations. From the booklet: "As shattering in its impact as were the first Brandenburg recordings 'on period instruments' by Harnoncourt in 1964 . . ." Uhhm, Oscar will be the judge of that. But I like what I hear.

James Goodzeit

May 24, 2022, 8:50:28 AM5/24/22
If there are any minor children here reading this, I apologize profusely. I have no idea what Schonberg would say though.

Owen

May 24, 2022, 3:28:25 PM5/24/22
He'd probably say: "Stop your f__king swearing!"

-Owen

Oscar

May 24, 2022, 3:47:17 PM5/24/22
On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 12:28:25 PM, Owen wrote:

> He'd probably say: "Stop your f__king swearing!"

That's _exactly_ what he would say!

Oscar

May 24, 2022, 3:59:21 PM5/24/22
Géza Anda - Vol.2

Boston Symphony Orchestra / Erich Leinsdorf (1)
Orchestre national de l'O.R.T.F. / Jean Martinon

St-Laurent Studios YSL T-1067. CD.
Recorded at Symphony Hall, December 5, 1963 (1); and at Salle Pleyel, Paris, May 27, 1970.
Transfers by Yves St-Laurent.

COMMENT: The Mozart is more successful—actually, it's a quite wonderful performance—than the Beethoven. Prime BSO. Winds like buttah. Anda is one of my favorites in Mozart. Recording quality is very good.

Mozart: Piano Concerto No.17 in G major, Op.453 (1)
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No.5 in E-flat major, Op.73 'Emperor'

Oscar

May 24, 2022, 9:14:35 PM5/24/22
Another new release from St-Laurent Studios:

Georges Sébastian (1909-89) - Vol.1

St-Laurent Studios YSL T-1297 © 2022.
Recorded at Théâtre des Champs Élysées, Paris, November 3, 1964.
Transfert et restauration : Yves St-Laurent.
https://www.78experience.com

COMMENT: You takes the good (very French choral singing; oh-so-piquant winds in the opening of Part II) with the bad (clipping and distorted at the climaxes), but in the end the microphone placement restricts this from a recommendation. The strings are placed so far back in the sound picture in Part I. It is regrettable. There is a noticeable improvement, sound-wise, in Part II. A rarely performed work by the great Mahler in the French-speaking world in the 1960s. Therefore, an essential purchase for me.

Mahler: Symphony No.8 in E-flat major 'Symphony of a Thousand'
Colette Herzog (S)
Liane Synek (S)
Ruth Hesse (Mz)
Helga Jenckel (A)
William Blankenship (T)
Hans-Otto Kloose (Bar)
Gerd Nienstedt (B)
Chœrs de l’O.R.T.F. (direction : René Alex)
Maîtrise de l’O.R.T.F. (direction : Jacques Jouineau)
Orchestre national de l’O.R.T.F. / Georges Sébastian
Message has been deleted

Oscar

May 25, 2022, 6:11:30 PM5/25/22
Lazar Berman - Vol.2

St-Laurent Studios YSL T-1205 © 2022. CD.
Recorded in the United States, November 3, 1976.
Transfert et restauration : Yves St-Laurent .
'Transfers done using Denis Pelletier's vacuum tubes equipment.'
https://www.78experience.com .

-Liszt: Études d’exécution transcendante, S.139
Encores
-Rachmaninoff: Prelude in G major, Op.32 No.5
-Scriabin: Étude in F-sharp minor, Op. 8 No.12

Al Eisner

May 26, 2022, 3:12:59 PM5/26/22
Excuse my naivete, but isn't Yves St.Laurent a fashion house rather
than a music studio?
--
Al Eisner

Oscar

May 26, 2022, 5:16:08 PM5/26/22
On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 12:12:59 PM, Al Eisner wrote:

> Excuse my naivete, but isn't Yves St.Laurent a fashion house rather
> than a music studio?

You are excused. And yes, it is a haute couture house and also the surname and Christian name of a restoration studio and reissue label founded by and managed by Yves St-Laurent. He is Québécois descent and resides in French Canada. You would do well do familiarize yrself with his work. Not inexpensive, as he sells only by the title and there are never any sales. But I find I listen to these CDs (also available as downloads) more than other recently acquired titles in my very large collection. Waiting to get the Mitropoulos box, of course, at a more reasonable price. I did just acquire the Bruce Liu disc on DG, he of recent Chopin Competition fame. I think he's the real deal!

https://www.78experience.com

Frank Berger

May 26, 2022, 5:17:50 PM5/26/22
Wild guess: Different guys. Supported by the fact that one is dead and one isn't.

There seem to be around 1 million people named Saint Laurent worldwide according go Mr. Google.

Oscar

May 26, 2022, 5:44:34 PM5/26/22
Now playing:

Eugen Szenkar - Vol.2

Clara Ebers (S)
Helmut Krebs (T)
Nan Merriman (Mz)
Otto von Rohr (B)
Städtische Musikverein zu Düsseldorf
Orchestre Philharmonique de la R.T.F. / Eugen Szenkar

St-Laurent Studios YSL T-1068 © 2022. 2CD.
Mono.
Recorded at Théâtre National de Chaillot, Paris, June 3* & 4, 1958.
Transfert et restauration : Yves St-Laurent .
https://www.78experience.com .

COMMENT: This is large band, full-throated massed chorus Missa. Klemperer-esque. The rhythms are more flexible than what I imagine an Otto Missa to be like, and I am actually not familiar with Klemps's Missa(s)). The playing of the Orchestre Radio-Symphonique (erroneously named Orchestre Philharmonique de la R.T.F. by producer Yves St-Laurent) is actually pretty good throughout, the winds especially. Strings can have the inexactitudes typical of this era of the 'big' French orchestras, but the massed strings sound pretty big and bold, as we want in this piece, in concert with the full-throated choral passages. The recording quality is excellent mono, with the soloists up front and a balanced sound picture. Important to note the orchestra is _not_ drowned out by the chœr, so hat tip to the recording engineer. Merriman and Krebs are the best of the soloists here, especially the American who, I shall remind you, studied with Lotte Lehmann in Los Angele. You think she knows a thing or two about Beethoven?! Yes. I am happy to have this recording in my collection.

Beethoven: Leonore Overture No.3, Op.72b*
Beethoven: Missa solemn is in D major, Op.123

Name of the orchestra:
-Orchestre Radio-Symphonique (1937–1964)
-Orchestre Philharmonique de la Radiodiffusion Française (1960–1964)
-Orchestre Philharmonique de l'ORTF (1964–1975)
-Nouvel Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France (1976–1989)
-Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France (1989–present)

Paul Alsing

May 26, 2022, 11:32:48 PM5/26/22
Balakirev: 2 Symphonies

https://www.amazon.com/Balakirev-2-Symphonies-Svetlanov/dp/B000025SKS/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2KW38OJF1XXD7&keywords=Balakirev+symphonies+svetlanov&qid=1653621708&sprefix=balakirev+symphonies+sv%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-16

I can't get enough of this composer, he rattles me right down to my core. I've had this particular recording for about a decade now and I have not bothered to listened to any other version because I like this one just fine... YMMV, but that is what makes the world go around!

Gerard

May 27, 2022, 5:49:29 AM5/27/22
Op 2022-05-21 om 23:44 schreef Al Eisner:

Vivaldi: flute concertos opus 10, Severino Gazzeloni with I Musici
(Philips).
Found this CD in a used record store.
These recordings were my favorite recordings of baroque music back in
those days. Until Hogwood came with his recording of these concertos
with Preston (on L'Oiseau-Lyre). That was my first HIP recording, I
immediately liked so much more than that old fashioned creamy sound of I
Musici.
Hearing it again after half a century I like some of it better than
before. The playing in some movements is more lively and beautiful than
I remembered. But generally this is too heavy.

Oscar

May 27, 2022, 7:59:19 PM5/27/22
On Friday, May 27, 2022 at 2:49:29 AM, Gerard wrote:

> Hearing it again after half a century I like some of it better than
> before. The playing in some movements is more lively and beautiful than
> I remembered. But generally this is too heavy.

Hello, Gerard!! What speakers are you listening to these days? P.S. Yes, imusici has not aged well. Small wonder there is no imusici megabox collection (unless within Japan, of course).

Al Eisner

May 27, 2022, 8:14:06 PM5/27/22
On Thu, 26 May 2022, Frank Berger wrote:

> On 5/26/2022 3:12 PM, Al Eisner wrote:
>> Excuse my naivete, but isn't Yves St.Laurent a fashion house rather
>> than a music studio?
>
> Wild guess: Different guys. Supported by the fact that one is dead and one
> isn't.

Thanks. I'd like to believe you, but how does this comport with your
recent apparent acceptance of zombies (in another thread)?
--
Al Eisner

Oscar

May 27, 2022, 9:44:04 PM5/27/22
Strauss (R) - Der Rosenkavalier

Hilda Gueden (S, Sophie)
Maria Reining (S, Marschallin)
Sena Jurinac (S, Octavian)
Alfred Poell (Bar, Faninal)
Ludwig Weber (B, Baron Ochs)
Wiener Staatsopernchor
Wiener Philharmoniker / Erich Kleiber

Decca 485 1582 ℗ © 2021. 15CD limited edition boxed set.
Mono.
Recorded in the Großer Saal, Musikverein, Vienna, May 29 to June 28, 1954.
Producers: Victor Olof & James Walker.
Engineers: Cyril Windebank & Jack Law.
First released on LP as Decca LXT 2954/7 ℗ 1954.

Boxed set credits:
Project management: Edward Weston, Raymond McGill, Kevin Long and Adam Freeman.
Repertoire, publishing & data: Andrew Dalton.
Digital mastering: Paschal Byrne (Audio Archiving Company Ltd)*.
Special thanks to Cyrus Meher-Homji (Universal Music Australia), Gary Pietronova (EMI Archive).
Booklet note: Jon Tolansky.

COMMENT: TSK-TSK, Universal Music Enterprises!! r.m.c.r.'s own, Mark Obert-Thorn, did not receive due credit _in the booklet_, only on the card jackets (where all the recording and discographical information is placed for this set, a trend I like very much, I should add; no need to cross-reference jacket and booklet every 90 seconds!). MO-T effected the transfers and did restorations of the 78 r.p.m. material, which is seeing first CD release in this set. Needless to say, an _essential_ purchase, if only for this Der Rosenkavalier, which is on its 5th CD iteration: 1990 Decca Historical; 2000 Decca Legends; 2009 Decca Heritage (using 1990 mastering, no libretto); and the Naxos needledrop from around the same time, 2009/10-ish. Don't remember who did the needle drop. MO-T, was it you? I have it somewhere. This new one is the best-sounding digital edition this title will ever receive. What a magnificent opera and a dream cast and magisterial conducting by Kleiber pére! Happy Memorial Day U.S.A.

Gerard

May 28, 2022, 11:06:54 AM5/28/22
Op 2022-05-28 om 01:59 schreef Oscar:
Still listening with the B&W 802D2 speakers. Enjoying them more and more
;-)
I have very few recordings on CD with I Musici. One of the best:
complete string sonatas by Rossini.
You can expect such a megabox from Eloquence every day ;-)

Andy Evans

May 28, 2022, 3:07:29 PM5/28/22
Listening to Stravinsky Symphony in 3 Movements in different versions. This was on BBC Building a Library today. Inevitably they chose CBSO/Simon Rattle as the best version. You can usually see this coming early in the program. I suspect the preferred recording is editorialised and the reviewer "encouraged" to recommend the usual British suspects. This happened last week when the reviewer of Janacek''s Jenufa consistently preferred the Czech version under Jilek, and rightly called Benackova a better singer in the role than Soderstrom for Mackerras, which was obvious. Then right at the end he passes over Jilek, which is superb and all-Czech, and calls Mackerras the best version. Nonsense. Editorialised I'm sure.

So for the Stravinsky I would chose BPO/Boulez, followed by Gielen and Solti. All three of these were highly rated in the review, which ended up choosing home boy Rattle. It's pretty much the same every week. I usually ignore the winner and listen to the others to choose my favourite.

Dan Koren

May 28, 2022, 4:40:03 PM5/28/22
On Friday, May 27, 2022 at 4:59:19 PM UTC-7, Oscar wrote:

> I Musici has not aged well.
> Small wonder there is no I
> Musici megabox collection
> (unless within Japan, of course).

I Musici never had a much of a
following, and the ineptitude
of Philips' marketing did not
help either. Not to mention
the fact they sounded like
a college band.

No megabox needed for
their feeble exploits.

dk

number_six

May 28, 2022, 7:21:35 PM5/28/22
I think this overstates the case.

In their time I Musici were viable vendors of Vivaldi.

number_six

May 28, 2022, 7:39:57 PM5/28/22
On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 1:33:11 PM UTC-7, number_six wrote:
> some non-CM listening --
>
> VA - Panama 2 (Soundway)
> a couple trax have too-abrupt fades, but overall a great collection
> you can hear Azuquita's BOROMBON here -
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7U0GCIdK4

VA - Panama 1 -- okay but proved to be the weakest of this otherwise great 3-cd series

On the collecting front I have nearly completed acquisition of two (for me) essential series --
Music of Indonesia - 20 cds on Smithsonian
Ethiopiques - 30 cd series on Buda

Dan Koren

May 28, 2022, 8:22:43 PM5/28/22
On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 4:21:35 PM UTC-7, number_six wrote:
> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 1:40:03 PM UTC-7, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I Musici never had a much of a
> > following, and the ineptitude
> > of Philips' marketing did not
> > help either. Not to mention
> > the fact they sounded like
> > a college band.
> >
> > No megabox needed for
> > their feeble exploits.
>
> I think this overstates the
> case.
>
> In their time I Musici were
> viable vendors of Vivaldi.

Duh! Because no other
ensemble played it?

dk

Todd M. McComb

May 28, 2022, 9:14:22 PM5/28/22

Oscar

May 29, 2022, 3:30:40 AM5/29/22
Samuel Feinberg - Vol.2

St-Laurent Studios YSL 33-1115 © 2021. 2CD.
Recorded in 1958-61.
From Melodiya LPs CCCP 5289 56 (05106-05111).
Transfert et restauration : Yves St-Laurent .
'Transfers done using Denis Pelletier's vacuum tubes equipment' .
https://www.78experience.com .

Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book II (24 Preludes & Fugues)

Owen

May 29, 2022, 10:27:35 AM5/29/22
I think you missed some sarcasm there, dk!

-Owen

Ed Presson

May 29, 2022, 2:14:49 PM5/29/22

"Andy Evans" wrote in message
The composer's stereo version, and Neemi Jarvi's Chandos recording are the
ones that I listen to most often. I'll have to revisit others (many) on my
shelf. I don't concur with Rattle,
Boulez or Solti, whose rhythmic propulsion seems lacking, as if they missed
the point.

Ed Presson

Dan Koren

May 29, 2022, 5:12:09 PM5/29/22
Can you hear the vacuum?

dk

Dan Koren

May 29, 2022, 5:13:17 PM5/29/22
> I think you missed some
> sarcasm there, dk!

Possibly. And so did you!

dk

Oscar

May 29, 2022, 5:36:05 PM5/29/22
On Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 2:12:09 PM, deekay wrote:

> > Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book II (24 Preludes & Fugues)
>
> Can you hear the vacuum?

There's no vacuum! Disinformation deplorable!

Oscar

May 29, 2022, 6:59:27 PM5/29/22
The Brahms Project
Sonata in F minor for viola and piano, Op.120 No.1
Sonata in E-flat major for viola and piano, Op.120 No.2
Two Songs for Contralto, viola and piano, Op.91*

Péter Bársony (vla)
Péter Frankl (pf)
Ildikó Komlósi (C)*

Hungaroton HCD 32808 ℗ © 2018. CD.
DDD. Stereo.
Recorded at Hungaroton Studio, December 1-4, 2016.
Recording producer and editor: Péter Illényi.
Balance engineer: Domonkos Tímar.
Design and prepress: Béla Ujváry.
Liner note and booklet editor: Enikő Gyenge.
English translation: Dr. Csilla Szabó.
℗ © 2018 Fotexnet Kft.
Made in E.U.

COMMENT: Very good.

Dan Koren

May 29, 2022, 7:44:13 PM5/29/22
You stated 'Transfers done using Denis
Pelletier's vacuum tubes equipment' .

dk

Owen

May 29, 2022, 11:59:34 PM5/29/22
Nature abhors a vacuum tube.

-Owen

Al Eisner

May 30, 2022, 1:02:03 AM5/30/22
Why 78's? You note that the set was recorded in 1954.
--
Al Eisner

Dan Koren

May 30, 2022, 1:15:40 AM5/30/22
Since sound does not propagate
through vacuum, one wonders how
such transfers were even made! ;-)

dk

Oscar

May 30, 2022, 10:59:47 PM5/30/22
Re Kleiber pére's Der Rosenkavalier

On Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 10:02:03 PM, Al Eisner wrote:

> Why 78's? You note that the set was recorded in 1954.

A poorly-written sentence in need of clarity. Mea culpa. MO-T's transfers in the Erich Kleiber box were on the first 2 discs only, recordings from the 1940s. One such disc I listened to last night, the Beethoven Symphony No.6 'Pastoral' with London Philharmonic Orchestra (LPO), from 1948. Don't remember hearing that one before. Superb. The other one in the box is from 1953 w/ Concertgebouw Orchestra.

Al Eisner

May 31, 2022, 5:09:57 PM5/31/22
Thanks. I've long had (and cherished) the set entitled "Erich Kleiber -
Decca Recordings 1949-1955". It includes both of those Pastorales (maybe
the earlier one wasn't released until 1949?). One of them (I think it
was the 1953, although I could be misremebering) was unexcelled by
any Pastoale I've ever heard. The two Eroicas in that set, 1950
Concertgebouw and 1955 Wiener) were rated here by Tassilo as two of the
greatest Eroicas ever - deservedly so. How much of the new box is
remastered? Do you have a link to its full contents? The earlier box
is https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7930242--erich-kleiber-decca-recordings-1949-1955
--
Al Eisner

Al Eisner

Jun 2, 2022, 12:15:11 AM6/2/22
"American String Quartets 1950 - 1970", Concord String Quartet, Vox (2 CDs):

Stefan Wolpe - String Quartet
Earle Brown - String Quartet
John Cage - "String Quartet in Four Parts"
Leon Kirchner - String Quartet #3
Christian Wolff - "Summer"
George Crumb - "Black Angels (Images) for Electric String Quartet"
Lejaren Hiller - String Quartet #5 (in Quarter Tones)
Jacob Druckman - String Quartet #2
Morton Feldman - "Structures for String Quartet"

Hiller also wrote the thorough booklet notes. (He points to several
illustrations which may have been in the LP notes but are omitted here.)
The most astonishing work was the Crumb (which is not really a stringK
quartet); most of the other works are some sort of serial, of which my
favorite was probably the Wolpe. A number of the pieces were constructed
using rather-involved numeralogy. For example, the Hiller starts with a
24-note tone row (it is in quarter tones), from which are drawn three
other rows, then all subjected to variations and organized in a complex
fashion. There was no way I was going to absorb any of this while
listening, yet the work proved quite attractive. (Two works had some
degree of performer freedom, but these works I found rather alien.)

So far as I could check, all of these composers (except Wolff) have since
passed away. A bygone era?
--
Al Eisner

Todd M. McComb

Jun 2, 2022, 1:51:11 AM6/2/22
In article <alpine.LRH.2.00.2...@iris02.slac.stanford.edu>,
Al Eisner <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>So far as I could check, all of these composers (except Wolff)
>have since passed away. A bygone era?

Time to be auditioning the music of composers influenced by that
group....

Todd M. McComb

Jun 2, 2022, 5:04:55 PM6/2/22
A septet from Belgium interprets a selection of Anthony Braxton's
"Ghost Trance Music" compositions:

https://elnegocito.bandcamp.com/album/ghost-trance-septet-plays-anthony-braxton

Todd M. McComb

Jun 7, 2022, 5:50:23 PM6/7/22
In article <t7b8lj$prh$2...@hope.eyrie.org>,
After further listening, I would recommend this release highly for
anyone interested in Anthony Braxton as a composer. (He does not
appear as a performer.) Read the included notes as well, if so
inclined....

Todd M. McComb

Jun 7, 2022, 10:21:03 PM6/7/22
Todd M. McComb <mcc...@medieval.org> wrote:
>A septet from Belgium interprets a selection of Anthony Braxton's
>"Ghost Trance Music" compositions:

It also occurs to me that a recent album on the same label (El
Negocito) might well be quasi-topical here per a few threads, _Black
Sea Songs_.... It's basically contemporary/jazzy arrangements of
traditional songs -- got some jazz awards last year.