Anders Hillborg - Cello Concerto 2020

henrysibley

May 26, 2022, 12:57:12 PM5/26/22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mHq_8i_a24

Quite nice. One of the very few recent works for cello that I actually
wanted to listen to, all the way to the end.

Hank

number_six

May 26, 2022, 9:12:35 PM5/26/22
My first encounter with Hillborg.Thanks for posting.

Early nod to Penderecki style is set aside in favor of the more serene expression maintained through the rest of the work. This composer seems to want both (1) to be heir to a tradition, and (2) to arrive at a personal, distinctive orchestral voice. The second of these is not IMO achieved here, but I nonetheless quite enjoyed hearing this contemporary work.