Complete Wolf Lieder on Stone Records

Mandryka

Apr 28, 2022, 4:57:47 AM4/28/22
I’ve started exploring these recordings - I’ve heard and really enjoyed the Mörike lieder and just begun the Göthe songs. Obviously the voices are different - some more appealing than others. But the quality of the music is fabulous and, even when I don’t much care for the singers, I’m grateful to the series for helping me discover more of this music.

I just wondered if anyone else knows the series, and whether anyone has any views on the high points.

Dan Koren

Apr 28, 2022, 12:13:12 PM4/28/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 1:57:47 AM UTC-7, Mandryka wrote:

> I just wondered if anyone else knows the series, and
> whether anyone has any views on the high points.

The "high points" appear to be on the very bottom of
the Marianas Trench.

I prefer reading Mörike to listening to these lieder.

dk

gggg gggg

Apr 28, 2022, 12:39:32 PM4/28/22
(Gasp!) Blasphemy of blasphemies. You only say that because you've never heard...

(Youtube upload):

Tiana Lemnitz; "In der Frühe"; MORIKE-LIEDER; Hugo Wolf

gggg gggg

Apr 28, 2022, 12:42:21 PM4/28/22
Or this...

(Y. upload):

Irmgard Seefried; "Das verlassene Mägdlein"; MORIKE-LIEDER; Hugo Wolf

Dan Koren

Apr 28, 2022, 12:44:08 PM4/28/22
Link please? Did you notice
none of your "YT upload"
posts have actual links ?!?

You don't appear able to
use a computer unless
the quote bot steps in.

dk

Dan Koren

Apr 28, 2022, 12:45:31 PM4/28/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 1:57:47 AM UTC-7, Mandryka wrote:

> I’ve started exploring these recordings -
> I’ve heard and really enjoyed the Mörike
> lieder and just begun the Göthe songs.

What kind of marble is used for these
recordings? Or are they ceramic tablets?

dk

gggg gggg

Apr 28, 2022, 12:50:41 PM4/28/22
I don't do floors,

Windows,

Or spoon feeding.

Sorry.

gggg gggg

Apr 28, 2022, 4:17:30 PM4/28/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 1:57:47 AM UTC-7, Mandryka wrote:
> I’ve started exploring these recordings - I’ve heard and really enjoyed the Mörike lieder and just begun the Göthe songs. Obviously the voices are different - some more appealing than others. But the quality of the music is fabulous and, even when I don’t much care for the singers, I’m grateful to the series for helping me discover more of this music.
>
> I just wondered if anyone else knows the series, and whether anyone has any views on the high points.

For those into historical singers, the following may be of interest:

https://archive.org/details/hugowolfsociety10000unse

gggg gggg

Apr 28, 2022, 4:19:56 PM4/28/22
Once you listen to Rethberg's "MÜH’VOLL KOMM’ ICH UND BELADEN", you'll realize that you don't have to die..............................................

To go to Heaven.

Uh-uh.

Dan Koren

Apr 28, 2022, 5:31:57 PM4/28/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 1:19:56 PM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:

> Once you listen to Rethberg's
> "MÜH’VOLL KOMM’ ICH UND
> BELADEN", you'll realize that
> you don't have to die..............................................
>
> To go to Heaven.

I have no interest in going to Heaven,
which is nothing but marketing hype.

You know the saying "Good girls go to
Heaven, bad girls go everywhere". I'd
rather be where the bad girls are!

dk

Mandryka

Apr 29, 2022, 3:18:13 AM4/29/22
I started listening to Wolf again because, while exploring some lieder by Wolfgang Rihm, I thought to myself “Wolf, or Eisler, or Webern could have written this!” Well I was wrong about Wolf, his style is clearly from a long time ago, though I do think there’s something modern sounding about the chromaticism of some of them which is interesting - more modern sounding than Busoni IMO.

I think it’s just nice to have all his lieder work collected together in that Stone Records series, and well recorded. I didn’t realise there were so many songs by him. The singers are extremely variable, probably none of them are really top drawer. But having so many singers is also quite pleasant.

I’d forgotten about the Hugo Wolf Society recordings.

Mandryka

Apr 29, 2022, 3:33:06 AM4/29/22
Oh by the way, one consequence of the series is that it has led me to explore other recordings, make other discoveries. I’m very glad to have found Pregardien’s Eichendorff lieder, for example. And although I’ve known the Schreier / Flott Italian Songbook since it came out, I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed it as much as recently.

Mandryka

Apr 29, 2022, 3:37:55 AM4/29/22
Prégardien sings Rihm, by the way - so maybe it’s not surprising I should warm to his approach.

gggg gggg

Apr 29, 2022, 10:46:33 AM4/29/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 1:57:47 AM UTC-7, Mandryka wrote:
> I’ve started exploring these recordings - I’ve heard and really enjoyed the Mörike lieder and just begun the Göthe songs. Obviously the voices are different - some more appealing than others. But the quality of the music is fabulous and, even when I don’t much care for the singers, I’m grateful to the series for helping me discover more of this music.
>
> I just wondered if anyone else knows the series, and whether anyone has any views on the high points.

I don't know if the following has come out on cd yet:

https://www.discogs.com/release/12541330-Hugo-Wolf-Raucheisen-Lieder-In-Dokumentarischen-Aufnahmen-A-Chronicle-In-Sound

gggg gggg

Apr 29, 2022, 10:54:58 AM4/29/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 1:57:47 AM UTC-7, Mandryka wrote:
> I’ve started exploring these recordings - I’ve heard and really enjoyed the Mörike lieder and just begun the Göthe songs. Obviously the voices are different - some more appealing than others. But the quality of the music is fabulous and, even when I don’t much care for the singers, I’m grateful to the series for helping me discover more of this music.
>
> I just wondered if anyone else knows the series, and whether anyone has any views on the high points.

For something more comprehensive, there is the 60+ cd box set " Raucheisen: Man at the Piano":

https://www.allmusic.com/search/all/Raucheisen%20man%20at%20the%20piano

gggg gggg

Apr 29, 2022, 11:30:50 AM4/29/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 1:57:47 AM UTC-7, Mandryka wrote:
> I’ve started exploring these recordings - I’ve heard and really enjoyed the Mörike lieder and just begun the Göthe songs. Obviously the voices are different - some more appealing than others. But the quality of the music is fabulous and, even when I don’t much care for the singers, I’m grateful to the series for helping me discover more of this music.
>
> I just wondered if anyone else knows the series, and whether anyone has any views on the high points.

(Y. upload):

Christa Ludwig: 10 Lieder by Hugo Wolf

Mandryka

Apr 29, 2022, 12:34:24 PM4/29/22
Yes, it has and I’m listening now, thanks.

Mandryka

May 1, 2022, 11:14:00 AM5/1/22
Have you heard Wilhelm Killmayer’s songs? I think he’s the link who connects Rihm to the earlier German romantic song tradition - searching for that link is what sent me back to Wolf.

If you haven’t heard Killmayer then I’d say you should give it a shot - Prégardien recorded a CD of Heine settings.

gggg gggg

May 7, 2022, 5:07:16 PM5/7/22
To hear that lied accompanied by orchestra, search Youtube for the following:

Hugo Wolf, Spanisches Liederbuch n. 7. “Mühvoll komm ich und beladen”- Orchestrazione Michele Trenti

number_six

May 7, 2022, 10:40:10 PM5/7/22
On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 8:14:00 AM UTC-7, Mandryka wrote:
> Have you heard Wilhelm Killmayer’s songs? I think he’s the link who connects Rihm to the earlier German romantic song tradition - searching for that link is what sent me back to Wolf.

Interesting -- not a link I'd have thought to look for, but then I know Rihm only from A-S Mutter's recording of Time Chant, and haven't heard Killmayer at all.

Sometimes the existence of a body or a particle is inferred or expected from the behavior of another body or particle...but I would never have used that principle to look for a Killmayer between the romantics and Rihm!

Mandryka

May 7, 2022, 11:01:28 PM5/7/22
Rihm studied with Killmayer. Quite a few things by Rihm seem to be in Killmayer style, not just some of the lieder - the Verwandlung cycle. He wrote a symphony for Killmayer (which I haven’t heard yet.)

I like some Killmayer very much - the chamber music, the quartet, especially.

I don’t know Time Chant, but generally I should say that Rihm has many styles at his disposal. He can write neo- romantic music, he can write Webern-esque music, he can write brutal, Varèse inspired music, he can write in the style of the Stockhausen’s later music. There is no Rihm style, there are many.

Dan Koren

May 8, 2022, 4:02:19 AM5/8/22
On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 8:01:28 PM UTC-7, Mandryka wrote:

> I like some Killmayer very much - the
> chamber music, the quartet, especially.

Killmayer has nothing to do with music!

IDIOT !!!!!!!!

dk

Mandryka

May 8, 2022, 10:17:27 AM5/8/22
The Rethberg Muhvoll Komm' Ich Und Beladen is amazing. It's here

https://open.spotify.com/track/4uGB2HXSsg6opxAd1ESnSi?si=f284163704924655

gggg gggg

May 8, 2022, 1:53:21 PM5/8/22
I think that she was the first to record that lied.

gggg gggg

May 8, 2022, 7:37:49 PM5/8/22
Now that I think of it, her recording was such a towering achievement that no one recorded that lied again until well into the postwar era (Seefried?).

Mandryka

May 8, 2022, 10:58:29 PM5/8/22
In the complete Wolf on Stone records they give the song to a tenor, I don’t have the booklet so I can’t say why.

On Spotify I can see early recordings by Emmi Leisner (with Raucheisen), and a rather nice one from Elizabeth Rethberg.

Mandryka

May 8, 2022, 10:59:56 PM5/8/22
By the way, Claudio Colombo has released a recording of the Spanisches Liederbuch arranged for piano solo.

gggg gggg

May 9, 2022, 1:19:38 AM5/9/22
I would have thought that Leisner's recording would have been included in the following:

https://www.discogs.com/release/12541330-Hugo-Wolf-Raucheisen-Lieder-In-Dokumentarischen-Aufnahmen-A-Chronicle-In-Sound

gggg gggg

May 9, 2022, 1:25:13 AM5/9/22

number_six

May 9, 2022, 3:31:37 PM5/9/22
On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 8:01:28 PM UTC-7, Mandryka wrote:
I see a Killmayer work -- a mass -- is included in the Fromm Foundation box.

That's already in my queue, so I'll hear that at some point.

Mandryka

May 9, 2022, 4:15:29 PM5/9/22
One thing that listening to Wolf and Killmayer and Rihm has done for me is help me appreciate Pregardien. Haven't head the mass.

gggg gggg

May 10, 2022, 2:36:17 AM5/10/22
According to this Gramophone review:

- ...High marks awarded to Rethberg's urgently eloquent Muhvoll komm' ich und beladen...

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/hugo-wolf-society-vol-1

gggg gggg

May 10, 2022, 3:03:26 AM5/10/22
Concerning that box set, it also includes Maria Muller's recording of Pfitzner's VENUS MATER. To hear a sample of the beginning:

https://s.awa.fm/track/17ebb05ae50548b71703

Mandryka

May 10, 2022, 8:08:06 AM5/10/22

gggg gggg

May 10, 2022, 12:12:42 PM5/10/22
Thank you.

What did you think of it?

Mandryka

May 10, 2022, 1:16:06 PM5/10/22
That's the first time I've listened to songs by Pfitzner. Love Margaret Mueller's claret velvet voice, and even more, I like the way she makes the poetry sound meaningful. Raucheisen seems to be inspired too, some very expressive piano playing there, especially at the end.

Thanks for the prompt to listen to it, much appreciated.

gggg gggg

May 10, 2022, 5:44:56 PM5/10/22
As I listen to it on my lp, I positively feel as if I am levitating.

I would have bought the Raucheisen big box but, if you can believe it, it contains no Wagner.

In the 1930's, Maria Muller and Tiana Lemnitz each recorded IM TREIBHAUS accompanied by Raucheisen . Because such a long lied had to fit onto one side of a 78, the tempo is a bit fast but their beautiful voices compensate for that. Both of those recordings are on Youtube. See if you like them.

Mandryka

May 11, 2022, 7:34:10 AM5/11/22
Yes but as you say, too fast. I'll stick with Flagstad.

gggg gggg

May 11, 2022, 10:31:54 PM5/11/22
The following by Brahms sung by Muller can be heard on Youtube:

- Muss es eine Trennung geben
- Lerchengesang
- Der Tod, das ist die kühle Nacht
- Feldeinsamkeit

gggg gggg

May 11, 2022, 10:47:28 PM5/11/22
To hear VENUS MATER as orchesterlieder, search Youtube for:

"VENUS MATER" "CLARA EBERS"

gggg gggg

May 12, 2022, 4:34:56 PM5/12/22
Thank you for that link.

I don't have a Spotify account, but I was wondering--do you have any feelings about Spotify?:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.classical.recordings/c/i2SimXSf-ak

gggg gggg

May 12, 2022, 4:36:17 PM5/12/22
Didn't she record that more than once?

Do you recommend one over the others?

Mandryka

May 13, 2022, 3:35:28 AM5/13/22
I’m travelling so it’s hard to listen, but thanks for your encouragement and I should be back here within a few days.

gggg gggg

May 18, 2022, 7:44:58 PM5/18/22
On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 7:58:29 PM UTC-7, Mandryka wrote:
Leisner is included in this upcoming radio program:

https://www.wfmt.com/2022/06/19/rare-mahler-recordings

gggg gggg

May 23, 2022, 12:55:37 PM5/23/22

gggg gggg

Oct 21, 2022, 11:37:02 AM10/21/22

gggg gggg

Oct 21, 2022, 11:38:52 AM10/21/22

gggg gggg

Dec 9, 2022, 2:38:20 PM12/9/22
> That's the first time I've listened to songs by Pfitzner...

(Y. upload):

"Clara Ebers " Vier Lieder" Hans Pfitzner"

Mandryka

Dec 10, 2022, 5:26:45 AM12/10/22
Listening now, thanks, very moving music -- Wagner and Strauss vibes. I've been enjoying Dietschy's Debussy, by the way.
Message has been deleted

gggg gggg

Dec 13, 2022, 2:49:29 AM12/13/22
"Pfitzner: 5 Lieder, Op. 9 - 5. Abschied":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWX2zKB66QA

Mandryka

Dec 13, 2022, 12:45:53 PM12/13/22
8 Gs - what do you think of Killmayer’s songs? (Really enjoying Pregardien singing the Eichendorff Lieder)
Message has been deleted

gggg gggg

Jun 19, 2023, 2:46:50 AM6/19/23
Erna Berger also recorded "Venus Mater" but I felt that her coloratura voice was not well suited to that lied.

Mandryka

Nov 16, 2023, 4:08:05 AM11/16/23
Any recommendations for the Michelangelo lieder?

Notsure01

Nov 16, 2023, 3:30:49 PM11/16/23
For the Michelangelo lieder I like Kim Borg:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8652255--kim-borg-essentials

Not someone I think of as a lieder singer, but this version combines his
beautiful voice along with good attention to the text. I also have a
Hotter version from Decca with Werba, but he sounds particularly
gravelly and hoarse.

Notsure01

Nov 16, 2023, 3:51:52 PM11/16/23
The Borg performances are on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_bvt82H13g&list=OLAK5uy_kOs0sAjrdY1hUCXw_Q3EkUaNyoFOXv6Jw&index=6

(And I just checked - the Hotter version I have is with Parsons)

Mandryka

Nov 17, 2023, 6:33:54 AM11/17/23
Yes he's good. Thanks.