Lutoslawski

Johannes Roehl

Jan 25, 2013, 7:49:47 AM1/25/13
Today would have been his 100th birthday. I have hardly anything by this
composer. There is an EMI-Twofer (and also a 3 CD set) conducted by
himself. Another option would be the Naxos series mostly conducted by
Wit which has received very positive reviews.

Anyone care to give recommendations for particular pieces and recordings?
I think all I have is the Concerto for Orchestra (A. Davis), the
Paganini piece for two pianos and a concerto with harp, all of which I
got more or less accidentally on samplers oder collections.

Ray Hall

Jan 25, 2013, 8:18:45 AM1/25/13
The 3rd and 4th symphonies are fine works. The Wit recordings on Naxos
are generally very fine imho. A composer I must return to.

Ray Hall, Taree

Christopher Webber

Jan 25, 2013, 8:22:04 AM1/25/13
On 25/01/2013 12:49, Johannes Roehl wrote:
> Anyone care to give recommendations for particular pieces and recordings?

The Cello Concerto is a very good place to start with 'mature'
Lutoslawski. Either the original recording with dedicatee Rostropovich,
or the new one with Paul Watkins, BBC SO and Gardner, will do very nicely.

Gerard

Jan 25, 2013, 10:55:11 AM1/25/13
Johannes Roehl <parr...@web.de> typed:
> Today would have been his 100th birthday. I have hardly anything by
> this composer. There is an EMI-Twofer (and also a 3 CD set) conducted
> by himself.

The 3 CD set also has been issued by Brilliant Classics.
Review:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/May09/Lutoslawski_9011.htm

Steve Emerson

Jan 25, 2013, 1:31:32 PM1/25/13
In article <amfdb7...@mid.individual.net>,
Cello and piano concertos certainly. The quartet involves some performer
decisions and proves to be beyond the purview of the ABQ, i.e. their
recording is unsuccessful IMO. LaSalle and Arditti bring it to life.
Perhaps less mandatory than the concertos, in any case. For the PC, I
haven't gotten my hands on the Crossley recording; Zimerman, the
dedicatee, is however at his best in the disc he did for DG with the
composer.

SE.

Alan Cooper

Jan 25, 2013, 2:53:41 PM1/25/13
Steve Emerson <eme...@n-n-nospamsonic.net> wrote in
I think there's a one-disc sampler from the Wit series that includes
several short works and excerpts from larger ones. If I were to
recommend a single volume, it would be the one with the Double Concerto,
Dance Preludes, and Chain 1. I also like the Naxos disc of music for
violin and piano, which has good couplings for the Lutoslawski works. I
don't recall the Arditti recording of the String Quartet, but definitely
recommend the LaSalle over the Kronos, Hagen, or ABQ recordings. (There
appears to be a live LaSalle performance as well, but I haven't heard
it.) I'll leave it to others to recommend the symphonies, which are not
to my taste. Concerning the Arditti recording, does anyone know if this
suspicious-looking outfit is on the level? http://arditti-
quartet.freedownloadmp3.net/lutoslawski-gubaidulina-works-for-string-
quartet-arditti-quartet-/

AC

jackyme...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2013, 5:38:14 PM1/25/13
The Cello Concerto,of course is the starting point for the"real" Lutoslawsky.I think that Wispelway's recording is doing the job.The String Quartet either with LaSalle either Arditty is a nut harder to crack but eventually fascinating.The Naxos set is excellent,the violin works-i.e the Partita and the Chain 2 bettering Mutter on DG.A Brilliant 3 CD set conducted by the composer is a fascinating collection.As a curiosity,the First Symphony with Stokovsky deserves exploration.
Message has been deleted

Alan Cooper

Jan 26, 2013, 2:34:55 PM1/26/13
EM <emmemmme...@gnail.com> wrote in news:809b9$51040e07$5356ecfa$303
@cache1.tilbu1.nb.home.nl:

> Johannes Roehl <parr...@web.de> - Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:49:47 +0100:
>
>> I think all I have is the Concerto for Orchestra (A. Davis), the
>> Paganini piece for two pianos and a concerto with harp, all of which I
>> got more or less accidentally on samplers oder collections.
>
> Free for another 36 days:
>
> Lutoslawski's "Concerto for oboe, harp and orchestra"
> (Spronk, Badings, RCO, Haitink).
>
> http://concerthuis.radio4.nl/concert/2632

A most enjoyable work. Thanks for the pointer. And a bit of serendipity:
checking to see if the famous recording by the Holligers with
Cincinnati/Gielen was available, I learned of this outstanding reissue:
http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Strauss-Concerto-Lutoslawski-
Double/dp/B005IY3CCQ . My wife and I saw the Holligers perform the work in
concert with the Israel Chamber Orchestra; they were terrific.

AC

Matthew B. Tepper

Jan 27, 2013, 3:31:04 AM1/27/13
Steve Emerson <eme...@n-n-nospamsonic.net> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in
Any recommendations for "Livre pour orchestre"? I remember hearing some
interesting radio broadcasts of it back in the '70s, and I bought the score
from Wladislaw Przybylaw along with maybe a dozen by Penderecki, but for
some reason I've never actually owned a commercial recording of it.

--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html

Christopher Webber

Jan 27, 2013, 5:32:56 AM1/27/13
On 27/01/2013 08:31, Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> Any recommendations for "Livre pour orchestre"? I remember hearing some
> interesting radio broadcasts of it back in the '70s, and I bought the score
> from Wladislaw Przybylaw along with maybe a dozen by Penderecki, but for
> some reason I've never actually owned a commercial recording of it.
I have the old (wonderfully pressed) Rediffusion release of the
Polskie Nagrania LP from 1968 with the National Philharmonic Warsaw
under Jan Krenz, which seemed to me to have a colouristic scope beyond
the excellent accounts from the composer himself (EMI) and Wit (Naxos).
There was a CD issue of the Krenz but it's hard to find now.

But you really can't go far wrong with Wit, or the composer himself.

Christopher Webber

Jan 27, 2013, 5:40:46 AM1/27/13
On 27/01/2013 10:32, Christopher Webber wrote:
> I have the old (wonderfully pressed) Rediffusion release of the Polskie
> Nagrania LP from 1968 with the National Philharmonic Warsaw under Jan
> Krenz, which seemed to me to have a colouristic scope beyond the
> excellent accounts from the composer himself (EMI) and Wit (Naxos).
> There was a CD issue of the Krenz but it's hard to find now.
>
> But you really can't go far wrong with Wit, or the composer himself.

Browsing on Amazon USA I see the Krenz is available cheaply, used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008FL8C/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

That's the one I'd take first: sadly the $5.49 sellers aren't going
international.

Dufus

Jan 27, 2013, 10:30:33 AM1/27/13
>On Jan 25, 6:49 am, Johannes Roehl <parrhe...@web.de> wrote:

Some recent programmes on BBC Radio 3 devoted to his music and life,
still up for a few days :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006x3cd/episodes/guide#b01qctvp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pyffp

Dufus

CharlesSmith

Jan 28, 2013, 6:50:56 AM1/28/13
On Friday, January 25, 2013 7:53:41 PM UTC, Alan Cooper wrote:

> don't recall the Arditti recording of the String Quartet, but definitely
>
> recommend the LaSalle over the Kronos, Hagen, or ABQ recordings. (There
>
> appears to be a live LaSalle performance as well, but I haven't heard
>
> it.)

I have two recordings of the quartet, the Varsovia and Silesian, both acquired as fillers when pusuing Szymanowski a couple of years ago. The Varsovia bring a warmth and feeling of ease that I like very much - not at all 'hard nut' territory, but perhaps not to everybody's taste. The Silesian are very much in control, but sound rather square and inflexible to me.

Charles

Brendan

Jan 28, 2013, 5:38:21 PM1/28/13
On Friday, January 25, 2013 7:49:47 AM UTC-5, Johannes Roehl wrote:
> Today would have been his 100th birthday. I have hardly anything by this composer. There is an EMI-Twofer (and also a 3 CD set) conducted by himself. Another option would be the Naxos series mostly conducted by Wit which has received very positive reviews. Anyone care to give recommendations for particular pieces and recordings? I think all I have is the Concerto for Orchestra (A. Davis), the Paganini piece for two pianos and a concerto with harp, all of which I got more or less accidentally on samplers oder collections.

Noted on the group ConcertArchive:

Brendan

Brendan

Jan 28, 2013, 5:42:22 PM1/28/13
On Saturday, January 26, 2013 12:10:35 PM UTC-5, EM wrote:
> Free for another 36 days: Lutoslawski's "Concerto for oboe, harp and orchestra" (Spronk, Badings, RCO, Haitink). http://concerthuis.radio4.nl/concert/2632 EM

This is just for listening, not downloading?

Brendan

Matthew B. Tepper

Jan 29, 2013, 1:20:47 AM1/29/13
Christopher Webber <zarz...@zarzuela.invalid.net> appears to have caused
the following letters to be typed in
Thanks!

Brendan

Jan 29, 2013, 5:24:06 PM1/29/13
On Friday, January 25, 2013 7:49:47 AM UTC-5, Johannes Roehl wrote:
> Today would have been his 100th birthday. I have hardly anything by this composer. There is an EMI-Twofer (and also a 3 CD set) conducted by himself. Another option would be the Naxos series mostly conducted by Wit which has received very positive reviews. Anyone care to give recommendations for particular pieces and recordings? I think all I have is the Concerto for Orchestra (A. Davis), the Paganini piece for two pianos and a concerto with harp, all of which I got more or less accidentally on samplers oder collections.

Another note:

Brendan

Brendan

Jan 31, 2013, 8:35:58 PM1/31/13
On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:24:06 PM UTC-5, Brendan wrote:
> On Friday, January 25, 2013 7:49:47 AM UTC-5, Johannes Roehl wrote: > Today would have been his 100th birthday. I have hardly anything by this composer. There is an EMI-Twofer (and also a 3 CD set) conducted by himself. Another option would be the Naxos series mostly conducted by Wit which has received very positive reviews. Anyone care to give recommendations for particular pieces and recordings? I think all I have is the Concerto for Orchestra (A. Davis), the Paganini piece for two pianos and a concerto with harp, all of which I got more or less accidentally on samplers oder collections. Another note: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/concertarchive/message/19851 Brendan

If you'd like to continue to be a Lutoslawski tourist before investing in CDs, here is yet another opportunity.

Brendan

GustavM

Feb 4, 2013, 9:21:54 AM2/4/13
Thanks for the link. A very nice program by the BBC on one of the great composers of the 20th century. Back in 1985 I had the pleasure of seeing his 3rd Symphony performed by Sir George Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Still one of the most astonishing concert experiences of my life.
Message has been deleted

gggg gggg

May 25, 2022, 4:15:04 AM5/25/22
(Recent Y. upload):

Dave's Faves: My Personal Favorite Recordings No. 84 (Lutoslawski)