"...Singers today have many fewer opportunities to record than their predecessors did...The recording industry is transformed. Who will pay for an album of, say, Schubert songs?"

gggg gggg

Oct 3, 2022, 3:46:51 AM10/3/22

Dan Koren

Oct 3, 2022, 5:55:06 AM10/3/22
On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 12:46:51 AM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> https://newcriterion.com/issues/2022/9/on-the-record

Oscar and Mandryka?

dk

gggg gggg

Oct 27, 2022, 12:59:27 PM10/27/22
On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 12:46:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> https://newcriterion.com/issues/2022/9/on-the-record

Is something similar going on in the pop music world?

(2022 Y. upload):

"Why Old Music is Killing New Music"

Andy Evans

Oct 27, 2022, 1:35:10 PM10/27/22
On Thursday, 27 October 2022 at 17:59:27 UTC+1, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 12:46:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> > https://newcriterion.com/issues/2022/9/on-the-record
>
> Is something similar going on in the pop music world?

Pop singers post vast amounts of stuff on YouTube, SoundCloud, Spotify etc and also on Facebook with links.

This in itself gives them exposure, but probably no money to speak of. Pop artists usually make most of their money from live gigs, but that's no walk in the park since when you are starting off it's usually pay-on-the-door or even pay to play.

So they have plenty of opportunity to "record" and do so in great numbers, but that's not the same as a commercial release. Classical singers do some of the above, but much less. They also record a lot of lessons which they post on YT and elsewhere, and make money teaching online. This mushroomed in the pandemic when there were no live gigs.

Andrew Clarke

Oct 28, 2022, 12:47:56 AM10/28/22
On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 6:46:51 PM UTC+11, gggg gggg wrote:
> https://newcriterion.com/issues/2022/9/on-the-record

Maybe they won't sell records if they record in the same style and the same repertoire as the great soloists and conductors of the second half of the 20th century, vocal or otherwise. You will if you are Philippe Jaroussky or F-X Roth or Isabelle Panzerfaust or Klaus Makela or Ronald Brautigam. It seems to help if you're French or Flemish, although the Jerries and the Brits don't do too badly.

And again, we might have to reconsider what constitutes a recording. A lot of people who will never make a CD are going to turn up on streaming services like Carnegie Plus, ROH Stream or that Digital Concert Hall in Berlin. I'd add Arte in France, but so many concerts on that service are unavailable internationally, which I find dispiriting.

Meanwhile, the only American conductor I've bought on CD lately - purchased as a download - is Andrew Litton, recorded in Norway ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

gggg gggg

Nov 4, 2022, 10:01:30 PM11/4/22
Litton's THE PLANETS is highly regarded according to this:

https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/